Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:36 AM   #8826
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
Well, i think some people said he could be a DE at 275 and i didn't believe it. I think it's pretty certain now.
That was me! Which is why I said YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:38 AM   #8827
illinidarrin
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
That was me! Which is why I said YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT.
He could be 300 by the time he gets here. I think we are pretty loaded at DT. I hope we do get James.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:42 AM   #8828
quhawks12
Quote:
He could be 300 by the time he gets here. I think we are pretty loaded at DT. I hope we do get James.
Loaded...not yet. Young. We'll see how these guys turn out. But, yeah, definitely on the right track at both DT positions.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:43 AM   #8829
illinidarrin
Quote:
Loaded...not yet. Young. We'll see how these guys turn out. But, yeah, definitely on the right track at both DT positions.
Loaded in the terms of numbers. We have alot of DT's . I would love to get Gibbs, but seeing Clements being a DT now, it's not that big of a deal.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:47 AM   #8830
quhawks12
Quote:
Loaded in the terms of numbers. We have alot of DT's . I would love to get Gibbs, but seeing Clements being a DT now, it's not that big of a deal.
Yep. James > Gibbs.

3 Jr. DT's. (Cajuste, Howe, Teitsma)
1 Soph DT (Powell)
4 Fresh DT (Williams, Douglas, Clements, Jackson)
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:58 AM   #8831
goillini75
GO ILLINI GO
aren't there rumors out there that merrick jackson is an academic problem there!!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:05 PM   #8832
Juice
Quote:
Yep. James > Gibbs.

1 Soph DT (Powell)
2014 is the season i'm counting on seeing the most from this group. Cajuste and Powell will be the anchors as upperclassmen (i guess you could also count Williams as an upperclassman too) mixed with young potenital in RS Frosh Douglas, Clements, Jackson. With the possibility of James (soph), assuming he would play as a true frosh.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:08 PM   #8833
TexasIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini75 View Post
aren't there rumors out there that merrick jackson is an academic problem there!!
Even if we kept Jackson, would still want Gibbs. You can never have too many good D-Linemen.

Has anyone heard anything about James' visit this past weekend?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:12 PM   #8834
Groundhogday
Quote:
Yep. James > Gibbs.

1 Soph DT (Powell)
After several years in which critical needs went almost entirely unmet, it is nice to see a recruiting class that builds depth at areas of need, particularly DB and DL.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:25 PM   #8835
Kramer116
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...ings/rank-3054

Quote:
Updated Rivals Top 250:

#159 Aaron Bailey, QB

Bailey missed several games as a senior with a knee sprain

# 218 Caleb Day, ATH

Day rushed for 463 yards and nine touchdowns, had 32 receptions for 490 yards and six touchdowns and collected 45 tackles, five interceptions and two fumble recoveries as a senior
Even though we would prefer more guys in this grouping of top 250 players, we got one in the most important position of all imo (QB) and it looks like we picked up a super athletic FS/SS prospect in Day.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:42 PM   #8836
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...ings/rank-3054

Even though we would prefer more guys in this grouping of top 250 players, we got one in the most important position of all imo (QB) and it looks like we picked up a super athletic FS/SS prospect in Day.
Last Rivals 250 guy we signed was Dondi Kirby. Last ones to make it into school were 4 years ago in the 2009 class (Terry Hawthorne, Justin Green, Bud Golden, Nate Scheelhaase).

In 2008 we had 3 (Liuget, Pocic, Cordale Scott), in 2007 we had 5 (Martez, Rejus Benn, Josh Brent, D'Angelo McCray and Anthony Morris).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:47 PM   #8837
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
Last Rivals 250 guy we signed was Dondi Kirby. Last ones to make it into school were 4 years ago in the 2009 class (Terry Hawthorne, Justin Green, Bud Golden, Nate Scheelhaase).

In 2008 we had 3 (Liuget, Pocic, Cordale Scott), in 2007 we had 5 (Martez, Rejus Benn, Josh Brent, D'Angelo McCray and Anthony Morris).
Washouts of this group: Kirby, Golden, Scott, McCray and Morris. 5 of the 12 never did a thing here.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:05 PM   #8838
BigStan97
Quote:
Washouts of this group: Kirby, Golden, Scott, McCray and Morris. 5 of the 12 never did a thing here.
This was a big problem for us.

I feel like the year, Kirbys year, we had a very good looking class but then 4 or 5 guys didnt make it due to grades and that really killed us Depth wise and talent wise.

im not saying that year alone killed Illinois football teams progress but it certainly did not help one bit.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:23 PM   #8839
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
It is just shockingly bad how many of our top rated prospects never did anything in the last 5 years...just awful.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:51 PM   #8840
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
You all were right about Clements being a DT from day 1. I just didn't think he'd gain this weight before he got here! Update on Clements.
Boy would that be nice...now I hope we have a defensive scheme that turns him loose and creates some havoc in the backfield
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:03 PM   #8841
calibear
Quote:
Well, i think some people said he could be a DE at 275 and i didn't believe it. I think it's pretty certain now.
Not so fast hombres.
I for one wrote about where he could play. I also mentioned if he maintained 275 sde was likely a good choice. But amending that presently I would want to look at both him and Douglas. When they get on campus and see how they perform.
Douglas had dropped down from 332 or about to to 321 and trying to hit 305 to 310 before arrival. Intially I had pegged him and Jackson as nt run stoppers both capable of doing some work in the backfield. That opinion is on hold along with Clements.
Jackson on a camp tape looked terrible in the lone one on one snap where he was easily direct away from the qb. So instead of having a 1 sde, 2nt, 1 ut (jc), 1 leo and 1 sde/leo on dline assuming they all get in. We may have the following 1 sde/leo, 1 nt, 1nt/ut, 1 sde/ut, and 1 leo, and 1 ut (jc).
Point being first I want to see how they have reshaped themselves and what they can do before placing them onto a depth chart. Some guys can play sde productively in college and we don't know what kind of adjustments if any the coaches are making to the defense. Thou you are right that may be the reason why Clements has put on the weight if intentional.

Last edited by calibear; Jan 22, 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:05 PM   #8842
Illinifan82
Off topic just a bit, but Tank Carradine did well for FSU--2012 Stats: 12 games played, 80 tackles (47 solo), 13.0 TFL, 11.0 sacks. Tore his ACL towards the end of the year, otherwise was considered a 1st/2nd round pick.
Too bad he couldn't qualify here...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:18 PM   #8843
calibear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIllini View Post
Even if we kept Jackson, would still want Gibbs. You can never have too many good D-Linemen.

Has anyone heard anything about James' visit this past weekend?
Sorry yes you can when it costs you at other positions of real need.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:53 PM   #8844
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
It is just shockingly bad how many of our top rated prospects never did anything in the last 5 years...just awful.
And a number of others made it to campus, but didn't last long, i.e. Gamble, Morgan, Jackson, Brent, etc. I'm amazed at the number of guys who are in the NFL now from Illinois that hardly played for us.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:22 PM   #8845
TexasIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibear View Post
Sorry yes you can when it costs you at other positions of real need.
At this point, I do not see us being able to lure in any other prospects better than Gibbs. DL is still a huge need for this team. We have signed some quality guys, but none of them have proven themselves yet.

Once again, has anyone heard about how James' visit went this weekend?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:37 PM   #8846
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIllini View Post
At this point, I do not see us being able to lure in any other prospects better than Gibbs. DL is still a huge need for this team. We have signed some quality guys, but none of them have proven themselves yet.

Once again, has anyone heard about how James' visit went this weekend?
I agree.

And no.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:29 PM   #8847
Juice
2014 WR Juan Wesley got an offer after his performance at the Core6 showcase.

Free video: http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1260054.html
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:43 PM   #8848
AHSIllini32
Banned
To go along with Juice's post about a 2014 kid, Belleville West LB Tori Millender is visiting this weekend per Allen Trieu.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:46 PM   #8849
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
2014 WR Juan Wesley got an offer after his performance at the Core6 showcase.

Free video: http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1260054.html
We offered Wesley about a month ago...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:49 PM   #8850
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
We offered Wesley about a month ago...
Read Trieu's tweet quickly. Either way he's got an Illinois offer doesn't really matter when he got it.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »