Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois DL coach Keith Gilmore headed to North Carolina

Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:18 PM   #51
Thacher_H_Guild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
The "Ball-on-a-stick" device is used fairly widely. I'm not sure why people seem to think Gilmore invented this.
http://coachhuey.com/thread/52752/ba...=514275&page=1
Prior to a recent season (I think before the 2010 one), when the BTN did their around the league preview thing and visited Camp Rantoul, they showed him with the ball on the stick and one of the commentators said something about how he had never seen that before. I am not certain who said it, but I think it was Howard Griffith. Of course, there would not have been any reason for him to be subjected to the ball on a stick. Anyway, I think the screen time for the ball on the stick is probably what made it loved.
Thacher_H_Guild is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:29 PM   #52
Groundhogday

Peter McCarty
Former WMU DL coach under Cubit and DT coach under Turner at Illinois. Not someone I recommend at all, but interesting to see the connections.

Bruce Tall
Former Michigan and WVU DL coach, with roots in Ohio.

Ted Gill
Michigan State surprisingly cut Ted Gill loose. They have had great DL play under his tutelage, but he is getting up there and perhaps has health problems?

Keith Willis
An option if we want to take another coach from O'Brien's staff (seems to be unemployed from what I can tell.)

Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:53 PM   #53
WeberIllini
Banned
Coach Gilmore will be missed. He obviously didn't fit in well with the new coaching staff. I was impressed with his development of Mercilus among others. I have no doubt North Carolina's defense will be improved and fun to watch.
WeberIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:38 PM   #54
FT35
Quote:
Tim Banks' Cincy defense in 2011 was nationally No. 1 in TFL and No. 2 in sacks. But don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Or how about the fact that his defense that gave up 50+ points in three games last season, and 40+ to two other teams?
FT35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:52 PM   #55
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT35 View Post
Or how about the fact that his defense that gave up 50+ points in three games last season, and 40+ to two other teams?
And this means what??? Have you followed the thread at all?

Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:55 PM   #56
FT35
Quote:
And this means what??? Have you followed the thread at all?
Yes, and it means I would rather have seen Banks take a hike.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:04 PM   #57
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT35 View Post
Yes, and it means I would rather have seen Banks take a hike.
Then just say that. The reality is he certainly likes to get behind the line of scrimmage but didn't have the personnel to implement his scheme at Illinois. When he had the right personnel at Cincinnati, they were No. 1 and No. 2 NATIONALLY in TFL and sacks. Now you can blame him for not adapting to what he inherited, but saying that he doesn't want to attack isn't supported by the data.

Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:07 PM   #58
FT35
Quote:
Then just say that. The reality is he certainly likes to get behind the line of scrimmage but didn't have the personnel to implement his scheme at Illinois. When he had the right personnel at Cincinnati, they were No. 1 and No. 2 NATIONALLY in TFL and sacks. Now you can blame him for not adapting to what he inherited, but saying that he doesn't want to attack isn't supported by the data.
Understood
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:11 AM   #59
Dan
Admin
Quote:
So Long, Ball-On-A-Stick

Goodbye, ball-on-a-stick. I'll never forget how we met in Rantoul in 2009. You really did have a knack for helping our defensive linemen watch the ball instead of listen for the snap count. Who can forget... your special case for the trip to the bowl games... that time Glenn Foster fell on you and bent the pole a little bit... "does the ball have to be on a stick for you to not jump offsides, Kynard"... that time we added the telescoping pole. You will be missed, ball-on-a-stick. Please stay in touch. Maybe, if your schedule allows, we can go see Liuget's Chargers play Mercilus' Texans next year.

http://alioneye.com/2013/01/26/so-long-ball-on-a-stick/
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:14 AM   #60
Lake Camelot
Quote:

Peter McCarty
Former WMU DL coach under Cubit and DT coach under Turner at Illinois. Not someone I recommend at all, but interesting to see the connections.

Bruce Tall
Former Michigan and WVU DL coach, with roots in Ohio.

Ted Gill
Michigan State surprisingly cut Ted Gill loose. They have had great DL play under his tutelage, but he is getting up there and perhaps has health problems?

Keith Willis
An option if we want to take another coach from O'Brien's staff (seems to be unemployed from what I can tell.)
This list seems to be guys who are impressive but too old. Or not that impressive. I hope it is someone else.

I guess I'd like to go young, but that didn't seem to work well the first time around.(OC at Il)

Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:25 AM   #61
AHSIllini32
Banned
Everything Robert said makes sense, especially this part:

Quote:
Whatever the reason, I’m just not that broken up about Gilmore leaving. Last season was a hazardous-material-laden trainwreck. Chris Beatty is gone? Fine. Luke Butkus goes? Loved the name for recruiting, but after that disaster, fine. Keith Gilmore goes? OK. If it was a year ago today, I’d be devastated. After last year’s defensive line performance, especially with Akeem Spence and Michael Buchanan on their way to the NFL, I’m OK with it. Get someone who fits with Banks and improve what we see on Saturdays. And if you can’t do that, all of you will be gone.
Continuity among coaches is extremely important and it never really seemed like Gilmore bought in.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:37 AM   #62
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Camelot View Post
This list seems to be guys who are impressive but too old. Or not that impressive. I hope it is someone else.

I guess I'd like to go young, but that didn't seem to work well the first time around.(OC at Il)
I think Willis could potentially be a good hire. I just threw the other names up because they popped up on Google.

Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:05 AM   #63
BluesBro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thacher_H_Guild View Post
Prior to a recent season (I think before the 2010 one), when the BTN did their around the league preview thing and visited Camp Rantoul, they showed him with the ball on the stick and one of the commentators said something about how he had never seen that before. I am not certain who said it, but I think it was Howard Griffith. Of course, there would not have been any reason for him to be subjected to the ball on a stick. Anyway, I think the screen time for the ball on the stick is probably what made it loved.
Saw the Army DL warming up at the Army Navy game this year and their DL Coach was using a ball on a stick on their drills. No idea if he got the idea from Coach Gilmore or not, but the usage elsewhere is out there.
BluesBro is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:35 AM   #64
RyanK
Other names to keep an eye on:

Paul Volvero
Helped coach the DL at CMU during Banks' time there as a DC. Volvero is currently the LB coach at WSU. Maybe GHD can do some research since he's out in his neck of the woods.

Nelson Barnes
Been out of the game for a while, but was the head of the defensive line for Beckman during his time of Oklahoma St. An unlikely hire, IMO..

Jim Heacock
Long time assistant at Ohio State. He and Beckman coached together for a number of years. Was Ohio St.'s DC from 2001-11. Outstanding recruiter. Seems like someone Beckman would reach out to. (Also has the necessary previous Bowling Green St. coaching experience )

Mike Ward
Yes, that Mike Ward. All of his experience prior to Illinois is coaching the DL. Maybe Beckman asks him to move over then brings on someone with more LB experience.
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:26 AM   #65
quhawks12
1. Good to have the versatility with Ward right now. We have a couple options.

2. Robert hit the nail in the head with his blog.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:59 AM   #66
OrangeAndBlue217
Jim Heacock seems like a solid choice to me. If not then maybe move Ward and bring in a new LB coach?
OrangeAndBlue217 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:08 PM   #67
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Other names to keep an eye on:

Paul Volvero
Helped coach the DL at CMU during Banks' time there as a DC. Volvero is currently the LB coach at WSU. Maybe GHD can do some research since he's out in his neck of the woods.

Nelson Barnes
Been out of the game for a while, but was the head of the defensive line for Beckman during his time of Oklahoma St. An unlikely hire, IMO..

Jim Heacock
Long time assistant at Ohio State. He and Beckman coached together for a number of years. Was Ohio St.'s DC from 2001-11. Outstanding recruiter. Seems like someone Beckman would reach out to. (Also has the necessary previous Bowling Green St. coaching experience )

Mike Ward
Yes, that Mike Ward. All of his experience prior to Illinois is coaching the DL. Maybe Beckman asks him to move over then brings on someone with more LB experience.
  • From what I've seen, coaches LOVE working for Leach, so I wouldn't count on Volvero going anywhere.
  • Heacock would be great (DC experience, strong recruiter, a lot of experience recruiting Illinois), but he is 64 now and might be retired.
  • There is a very real possibility that Ward moves to DL.

edit: Heacock was apparently considered for a job at Illinois last year, but decided to retire.
http://www.the-ozone.net/football/20...ckRetires.html

Last edited by Groundhogday; Jan 27, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Groundhogday is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:00 PM   #68
RHITIllini
Quote:
  • From what I've seen, coaches LOVE working for Leach, so I wouldn't count on Volvero going anywhere.
  • Heacock would be great (DC experience, strong recruiter, a lot of experience recruiting Illinois), but he is 64 now and might be retired.
  • There is a very real possibility that Ward moves to DL.

edit: Heacock was apparently considered for a job at Illinois last year, but decided to retire.
http://www.the-ozone.net/football/20...ckRetires.html
Is the former NC State LB coach anywhere yet? Terrell Manning was one heck of a LB for them a couple years back.
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:30 PM   #69
quhawks12
Just looks back and Ward coaches LB's at Toledo not DL. He coached DL one year at Bowling Green.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:13 PM   #70
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Just looks back and Ward coaches LB's at Toledo not DL. He coached DL one year at Bowling Green.
Mike Ward coached DL for 9 years at Bowling Green (2000-08), including the last two as DC.
http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...rd_mike00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
Is the former NC State LB coach anywhere yet? Terrell Manning was one heck of a LB for them a couple years back.
Jon Tenuta coached LBs at NC State. He is now the new DC at Virginia.

Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:11 AM   #71
quhawks12
Yep...my bad.

Dave Sollazo was a name I came across when looking at guys who have coached with Banks before. They were at Maryland together.

Quote:
COACHING EXPERIENCE:
Villanova
2011: Assistant Coach - Defensive Line
Maryland
2005-10: Assistant Coach - Defensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator
2001-04: Assistant Coach - Defensive Line/NFL Liaison
Georgia Tech
1999-00: Assistant Coach - Defensive Tackles

The Citadel
1989-98: Assistant Coach - Defensive Line

Guilford (N.C.) College
1988: Assistant Coach - Defensive Line

Maryland
1986-87: Volunteer Assistant Coach - Defensive Line

Stratford (S.C.) High School
1985: Assistant Coach - Defensive Coordinator

Maryland
1984: Graduate Assistant - Linebackers

North Charleston (S.C.) High School
1983: Assistant Coach - Defensive Coordinator

Fort Johnson (S.C.) High School
1978-82: Assistant Coach - Defensive Coordinator

PLAYING EXPERIENCE
The Citadel
1973-76: Defensive line
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:14 AM   #72
quhawks12
Also, the most obvious might be Eli Rasheed who's the DL coach at Toledo and was when Beckman was there.

Now since he didn't come over right away with Beckman maybe there is a disconnect there?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:52 AM   #73
Groundhogday
Quote:
Yep...my bad.

Dave Sollazo was a name I came across when looking at guys who have coached with Banks before. They were at Maryland together.
Perhaps on the down side of his career, but fits the Beckman profile in that he is another strong recruiter.

Quote:
Also, the most obvious might be Eli Rasheed who's the DL coach at Toledo and was when Beckman was there.

Now since he didn't come over right away with Beckman maybe there is a disconnect there?
I think he didn't come because Beckman wanted to retain Gilmore. But at this point, he might feel safer hitching his wagon to Campbell. He would be another assistant with strong FL ties (coached high school down there), and we might need to balance out the staff regionally. As it is, we might only be recruiting OH and FL.

Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:55 AM   #74
quhawks12
Yeah those are really the only other 2 names I could find as crossing paths with Beckman and Banks.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:59 PM   #75
Illinnoying Orange
I will likely get hammered by the board for this (after he was hired & left before ever coaching in an Illini game in 2005) --- but I wonder if any consideration might be given to the idea of Randy Melvin as DL coach. He has a long & successful resume as a coach (and has a super bowl ring to prove it). He was just let go as the Tampa Bay Buccaneer DL coach and has coached with Cubit before. Melvin has ties to Illinois as he played on the last EIU national championship team.
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »