Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:53 PM   #4751
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
I haven't really watched Nunn or Tate play until tonight. That was great, they obviously need to work on their decision making, but their execution and toughness was top notch

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:54 PM   #4752
illini73
I think Tate should get more "props" on all Illini message boards. He needs strength no doubt about that, but his passing, vision, defense and the way he runs a team is going to be something the Illini need.

Not to nitpick, but his handle needs to be tightened up a bit more (can get loose at times).
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:35 PM   #4753
BlockI
Banned
Tate is wonderful in transition most of the time he see the court well even at full speed. Nunn plays similar to Paul on offense but really gets after it on defense. That could be fun to watch next season.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:37 PM   #4754
DaytonIllini
Great vision for both Tate and Nunn. A ton of turnovers tonight but several of them appeared more trying too hard to thread the needle or their teammate just not having good enough hands. I really like the way they both are looking to set people up despite the national spotlight on the game. Nunn has elite level athleticism. Tate is quick but needs to value the basketball more. I suppose that can be said about almost any HS PG.

Parker was not good shooting but you could see a variety of moves. His shot just wasn't falling. His stamina is better than earlier. No longer looks fat.

JO was not good at all tonight. I know we talk all the time about 1-and-done players and I have seen JO play much better but the kid needs a lot of work. You can see some glimmers tonight but he is slow footed. I am sure he's better than what we saw tonight.

I like that Peak kid. A lot.

White, meh, he's fluid and all but looks lacksadaisical most of the time and then brilliant for a few seconds. I can see why he is/was ranked so high but I am not too excited about him. His head and neck are really long. He plays shorter than 6'9" IMO.

Pollard is good. Reminded me a bit of the Rev.

One other thing. Someone last year was talking about how Simeon could make the NCAA tournament. If they played Illinois 100 straight games I wonder if they would win a single one. Lots of talented players but at this stage in their careers nowhere near the discipline or skill level needed to compete with a good college team IMO. There is such a cosmic leap in skill between HS and college. We forget that when we are projecting kids play as freshmen all too often.

Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:18 PM   #4755
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post

One other thing. Someone last year was talking about how Simeon could make the NCAA tournament. If they played Illinois 100 straight games I wonder if they would win a single one. Lots of talented players but at this stage in their careers nowhere near the discipline or skill level needed to compete with a good college team IMO. There is such a cosmic leap in skill between HS and college. We forget that when we are projecting kids play as freshmen all too often.
Hey, that was me!

Good memory.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:25 PM   #4756
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpfled View Post
Hey, that was me!

Good memory.
I'd say this. If we could pull the Simeon team back together at age 20 I bet they would make the NCAA's.

Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:36 PM   #4757
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Quote:
I'd say this. If we could pull the Simeon team back together at age 20 I bet they would make the NCAA's.
Don't be sillly.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:39 PM   #4758
zpfled
Quote:
Ha, no kidding. Assuming their young guys progress like they're projected to, that would be a hell of a team.

Who knows, we might have a large portion of that theoretical team in O&B in a few years!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:20 AM   #4759
Combo
Quote:
Great vision for both Tate and Nunn. A ton of turnovers tonight but several of them appeared more trying too hard to thread the needle or their teammate just not having good enough hands. I really like the way they both are looking to set people up despite the national spotlight on the game. Nunn has elite level athleticism. Tate is quick but needs to value the basketball more. I suppose that can be said about almost any HS PG.

Parker was not good shooting but you could see a variety of moves. His shot just wasn't falling. His stamina is better than earlier. No longer looks fat.

JO was not good at all tonight. I know we talk all the time about 1-and-done players and I have seen JO play much better but the kid needs a lot of work. You can see some glimmers tonight but he is slow footed. I am sure he's better than what we saw tonight.

I like that Peak kid. A lot.

White, meh, he's fluid and all but looks lacksadaisical most of the time and then brilliant for a few seconds. I can see why he is/was ranked so high but I am not too excited about him. His head and neck are really long. He plays shorter than 6'9" IMO.

Pollard is good. Reminded me a bit of the Rev.

Agreed. Not only discipline and skill level, but just physical maturity. Any Big Ten team would demolish Simeon.

Same idea goes for college vs NBA teams. The best college team would lose to the worst NBA team every time.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:26 AM   #4760
Archie
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
there should be scalpers outside.
Don't you mean shooters?

JK
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:31 AM   #4761
Archie
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckldr View Post
btw, L.J. Peak is a player.
I would pass on Peak and Paul White.

Peak's game is identical to the guards and forwards on Illinois' current roster, i.e., one who shoots from the arc, gets nothing going to the basket and can't create for others.

Last edited by Archie; Jan 27, 2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:46 AM   #4762
saltygrapes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post

Peak's game is identical to the guards and forwards on Illinois' current roster, i.e., one who shoots from the arc, gets nothing going to the basket and can't create for others.
A player like Peak is great if you have a point who gets him the ball.

Peak was a beast tonight.

Tate was impressive.

Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:27 AM   #4763
chiefcub69
Banned
Tate, Nunn, and Peak were very good last night. Paul White leaves alot to be desired. He's a very tall athlete but can't shoot a lick and disappears a lot.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:55 AM   #4764
SummerofGeorge
Quote:
With 2 years of quality coaching under their belt, yes! Staying in high school until age of 20, no.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:07 AM   #4765
SummerofGeorge
I have been one of the somewhat reluctant supporters of Tate... until last night. He was very impressive last night. Maybe he is finally feeling comfortable in his role as point guard? He seems much more assertive and confident than he did earlier in the year. Welcome to UI Jalen Tate! As for Nunn, I still really like him but I am struggling trying to picture what his position is going to be in the future. He is certainly not a point guard. He probably fits best at the 2 position but you would like see a better long range shooter there (maybe he will become that). His game matches Luther Head a little bit at the 3 but he is undersized there. That said, I think he brings a lot to the table and I am sure JG will find a spot for him.

Let's hope for a good showing today with Lyle in the crowd!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:14 AM   #4766
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Simeon wins showdown, edges Young

Instead, it was a pair of future Illini that sparkled: Simeon seniors Jaylon Tate and Kendrick Nunn. Tate's coast-to-coast drive and basket was the key play in the Wolverines' 44-41 win over Young.

Tate led Simeon (18-2) with 12 points. Nunn provided several highlight plays, finishing with 10 points, six rebounds and four assists.

"That's what I do, play off Jabari," Nunn said. "If he has a bad game I pick him up."

Michael O'Brien
Quote:
Simeon All Access | Messages heard loud and clear

Reaching out: Simeon coach Robert Smith and Morgan Park coach Nick Irvin greeted each other with a hug at Chicago State on Saturday.

Colleen Kane
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:28 AM   #4767
Dan
Admin
Larry Austin and JaQuan Lyle to visit today's game (weather permitting, ice could be a factory).
Quote:
Going to Illinois vs Michigan game tomorrow

http://twitter.com/_LarryAustin2_
Quote:
Going to Illinois on the 27th for the Michigan game #IlliniNation

http://twitter.com/JMamba5
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:38 AM   #4768
cjcastan
I was even more impressed by tate last night than I was before and I've been a fan after seeing him on TV a couple of times before.

The thing that stuck out most in last night's game was his creativity, which is something we currently lack out side of JB's flights of fancy.

Tate was infuriating when trying to make the highlight reel one too many times like when he tried to dribble the ball behind his back and it went right to the defender for a TO at half court.

But he seemed to know better when to go right to the cup and when to pass when he got into the paint.

The head fake he had to get his man into the air, draw JO to him, then dishing to #15 who got the dunk attempt and foul was a FANTASTIC play. It showed Bball IQ / Patience / good handle / passing / court vision.

When he signed and I had not seen anything from him but one youtube clip, Tate might get 8-12 mins to back TA and possibly get pushed for mins by a 2014 PG. From what he's been showing Tate could probably end up playing 12-18 mins a game to help push the pace.

He'll definitely struggle most against physical teams and teams with bigger more mature PGs but he definitely looks like he'll be in the running for some good mins next year. Probably between Tate and Morgan they'll get the most minutes by our frosh out of necessity.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:07 AM   #4769
combes
I think both will get minutes but they will not play more than Hill and Nunn. Imo. Right now, our backups at all positions could be freshmen. Colbert could also get good minutes at the four, especially if the roster shrinks a bit.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:13 AM   #4770
illini55
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouIllini View Post
Hill with 27 tonight at Belleville East. East beat Edwardsville (#5 E-ville vs # 6 Belleville East ) 72-61. Belleville East went 24-26 from the free throw line. Hill was 18-20.
So, we have a recruit that missed EVERY free throw missed by his entire team? Let's get rid of this guy immediately....
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:18 AM   #4771
ILHoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post

This was my first time seeing Peak and he looked really good. I'm pretty sure he had a few nice drives to the basket in spite of a bottled up zone defense by Simeon. He was impressive.

Nunn and Tate looked quick and athletic tonight. They had a few too many turnovers, but they also made winning plays down the stretch. These two are winners and that is the most important intangible you can bring.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:59 AM   #4772
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini55 View Post
So, we have a recruit that missed EVERY free throw missed by his entire team? Let's get rid of this guy immediately....
And, if you don't count his free throws, he only scored 9 points. We can do better.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:11 AM   #4773
DanvIllini
Super Lurker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbachhuber View Post
And, if you don't count his free throws, he only scored 9 points. We can do better.
That seems like a lot of free throws, right? Or am I just remembering our offense the last 8 years?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:14 AM   #4774
UofIChE06
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltygrapes View Post
A player like Peak is great if you have a point who gets him the ball.

Peak was a beast tonight.

Tate was impressive.
I completely get what you are saying Salty but I would say the point is the weakness of WY. That is also at least partially the reason Tate looked so good. Peak is a very good player. He is the difference between the ok but not great WY team last year and the one this year that is highly ranked and has a legit chance to knock of Simeon for states. For those against Paul White, I get your points but he shut down Parker one on one. He really gave Parker problems because Parker is not used to someone that can provide post defense against him and still keep up with him on the perimeter. I think Parker's performance had as much to do with White as it did with Parker. He kind of provides what I would call the DJ factor. He disappears a lot but he is just solid all around. A lot of people on here have been on DJ all year but he is actually playing well even though he is struggling from behind the arc (NEB game excluded). Glue guys that are asked to defend the other teams best player and typically do a good job at it are very valuable. That is White for WY.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:46 AM   #4775
combes
I think White is being given a bit too much credit for Parker's poor game. What I saw was Parker missing shots he usually makes. Parker has played against the best players in the country and on the international level and has faced better players than White and been very successful. Okafor did not have a good game, either. Does anyone think that Woods was the biggest reason? While Woods did a nice job, in my opinion, Okafor and Parker stopped themselves more than any defensive stopper on the other team.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »