Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois at Michigan State, Thursday, January 31st, 6:00pm CT, ESPN

Closed Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:32 AM   #51
JoeJ
We beat #7, Zags, #9 Butler and #11 OSU, we face #13 MSU on Thursday. Let the pattern continue!

If we are going to win this game, we need to do well on 3's. Another sub 25% 3 shooting night and we will get crushed. TG hits 5/7 3's and scores 20, including a buzzer beater. Odds on that scenario? If we win, someone has a killer game.
GO ILLINI!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:31 AM   #52
Railsplitter
Banned
This is what I think will happen .Izzo knowing BP dribbles the ball six feet in the air will pressure at half court creating 20 turnovers . 13 on BP . On a massed shot the only Illini in the picture for a rebound will be Egwu . Abrams will drive to the hoop , get there make a few great plays then, afew really bonehead plays .We will shoot 35 threes making about 6 because thats just how good at shooting them the Illini are. Finally, the bench will be used extensively because of all that I've written thus far . To no avail tho and MSU wins handily . then Friday we'll be right back to whereb we are right now , disussing the above. I wish it wasn't that way , but that s how I see it.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:31 AM   #53
orangeBlue
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb927 View Post
2nd semester senior, 'nuff said (if only I wasn't kidding, engineering doesn't really have a final blow-off semester )

Road Trip. Get on the road the next 4 weeks. Follow the Illini, arena to arena campus bar to campus bar. Do not let school get in the way of your education.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:40 AM   #54
orangeBlue
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
This is what I think will happen .Izzo knowing BP dribbles the ball six feet in the air will pressure at half court creating 20 turnovers . 13 on BP . On a massed shot the only Illini in the picture for a rebound will be Egwu . Abrams will drive to the hoop , get there make a few great plays then, afew really bonehead plays .We will shoot 35 threes making about 6 because thats just how good at shooting them the Illini are. Finally, the bench will be used extensively because of all that I've written thus far . To no avail tho and MSU wins handily . then Friday we'll be right back to whereb we are right now , disussing the above. I wish it wasn't that way , but that s how I see it.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears this is true.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:07 AM   #55
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeBlue View Post
Road Trip. Get on the road the next 4 weeks. Follow the Illini, arena to arena campus bar to campus bar. Do not let school get in the way of your education.
Well, 4 of us are going up to East Lansing tomorrow at least! We're all Illini Pride board members so we're meeting up with the Izzone organizers before the game to chat for a while and exchange t-shirts, which should be a good time.

Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:07 AM   #56
ThatsAThree
We go 100% from three ILL: 145 MSU: 69
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:18 AM   #57
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsAThree View Post
We go 100% from three ILL: 145 MSU: 69
So, . . . . Tyler isn't allowed to shoot?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:31 AM   #58
SeattleSlim
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeBlue View Post
That's on my bucket list when retirement arrives in a couple years. I expect we'll be pretty good by then.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:56 AM   #59
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
So, . . . . Tyler isn't allowed to shoot?
Interesting Stat of the day - Griff is still shooting a better 3P% on the year than Mike Henry, Tracy, or D.J. Richardson, even after 21? misses in a row. He'll get a couple to fall soon, no doubt in my mind.

Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:18 AM   #60
CHI 1086
We Ready
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSlim View Post
That's on my bucket list when retirement arrives in a couple years. I expect we'll be pretty good by then.
I'd like to start in FB season and end with a FF!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:48 AM   #61
MitchFromAtwood
I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned the possibility of a Brandon Paul explosion tomorrow... the game IS on ESPN. Thoughts???? I know he has been rough (putting it nicely) as of late, but I've got a funny feeling.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:06 AM   #62
BlockI
Banned
Quote:
Interesting Stat of the day - Griff is still shooting a better 3P% on the year than Mike Henry, Tracy, or D.J. Richardson, even after 21? misses in a row. He'll get a couple to fall soon, no doubt in my mind.
+1

Crazy to think he is still shooting better than most on the team lol.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:17 PM   #63
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Game 22 Notes & Links: Illinois at #13 Michigan State

Joe Tessitore, PBP; Sean Farnham, analyst

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...013013aad.html
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:06 PM   #64
uofiguy
Interesting to note:

Illinois has scored more than 70 points in 13 games, after doing so just 10 times in 32 games last year. The Illini are 12-1 when reaching the 70-point marker this season, with the only loss to Missouri.

The Illini are 10-0 when shooting 45 percent or better, and 12-0 when shooting better than their opponent.

Duh. Now shoot better.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:19 PM   #65
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by uofiguy View Post
Interesting to note:

Illinois has scored more than 70 points in 13 games, after doing so just 10 times in 32 games last year. The Illini are 12-1 when reaching the 70-point marker this season, with the only loss to Missouri.

The Illini are 10-0 when shooting 45 percent or better, and 12-0 when shooting better than their opponent.

Duh. Now shoot better.
Kind of a simple game in some ways, isn't it?
Overdone? Absolutely.
Wrong? No.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:03 PM   #66
Bruce Bruceton
This team is desperate for a win. I still think MSU is a bit overrated. I think despite our recent struggles we find our stoke from behind the arc and we eek one out on the rode.

ILL 72
MSU 65
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:15 PM   #67
BlockI
Banned
MSU a bit overrated in the beginning of the year maybe. As usual Izzo gets his teams better and better as the year goes by. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them deep into the tourney.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:16 PM   #68
illini ri0t
Banned
I wanna see BP get to the rim more. More free throws. Maybe cut back on how many 3's we shoot (unless they want to leave guys completely open) another step forward in improving perimeter defense. If we can break the shooting slump, then were capable of winning this.

We'll just have to wait and see.

BTW- My fav place to watch the illini win on the road is at the Bres. I've been to every Illini win @MSU since Kiwane Garris was a senior.

Dee Brown OWNED the bres his Jr/Sr years!!!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:47 PM   #69
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Well, 4 of us are going up to East Lansing tomorrow at least! We're all Illini Pride board members so we're meeting up with the Izzone organizers before the game to chat for a while and exchange t-shirts, which should be a good time.
I hope the only time you'd be seen wearing those MSU T-shirts is when you are painting a house or working on the car.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:29 PM   #70
zoggle101
Show you can hit the three. They'll overplay that. Show when they overplay the three that you can drive. They'll over play both. Show when they over play the three, and the drive you can pull up from mid range. Show when they over play all of these with help D you can swing the ball around to find the open player, or just the open player. It's the same game these guys have been playing their whole life. Let's make athletic basketball plays.

Let's beat MSU.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:21 PM   #71
illini80
I just want to see improvement. Run the offense, play physical defense, and work your butt off on the boards. If we lose but do these things, I'll live with it.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:47 AM   #72
IlliniFan1988
Banned
If things go like we need them to:
MSU 64

If things continue as they have the last couple of games:
MSU 68

Smart shots, intense defense, and crashing the boards will be key in addition to limiting our number of turnovers. Someone might just have to have a game similar to what D.J. did in Lincoln.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:01 AM   #73
TCTORNADO
MSU is -8.5 pts a move from an open of-9.5. Seems Sparty should be the winner here.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:43 AM   #74
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
IL 52 MSU 72
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:27 AM   #75
drumanimal
Skid continues....we are going to get killed on the glass tonight!

MSU- 76
ILL- 63
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »