Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:00 PM   #5101
TCTORNADO
For you old timers and trivia guys, Francis goes to Arlington Country Day in Jacksonville, FL and his coach is Rex Morgan who played on the 1970 Jacksonville University team that were National runner-ups. Artis Gilmore and Pembroke Burrows were two 7 footers on that team.
He went to Charleston, IL H.S.

Last edited by TCTORNADO; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:00 PM   #5102
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
All roster projections aside, I think next year the biggest benefit we will see is competition for playing time.
Abrams, Egwu, Bertrand, and Rice are all rotation locks.
Throw in the contributions that the 5 freshmen can make, even if it's on limited bases, Henry, Langford, Shaw, and Ibby need to really commit to getting better if they are going to see the floor next season.
If one or more don't return next year, we'll potentially have a JUCO or 5th year transfer that will also factor into the equation.
With Latulip's work ethic and basketball IQ, I think he will make a case for PT as well.
Regardless of who plays, minutes will definitely be earned.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce

Last edited by Foo G; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:04 PM   #5103
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
For you old timers and trivia guys, Francis goes to Arlington Country Day in Jacksonville, FL and his coach is Rex Morgan who played on the 1970 Jacksonville University team that were National runner-ups. Artis Gilmore and Pembroke Burrows were two 7 footers on that team.
I saw Gilmore play several times in old Chicago Stadium. Loved the lefty hook shot and the wild hair.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:07 PM   #5104
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacookiemonsta View Post
Do you think the four is THAT much different?

You set screens at the perimeter and either jack up a 3 or slash to the basket.
Ummmmm yeah? Yeah it is quite a bit different. A 4 is going to be guarding a much bigger player on defense. He should also be much more of a contributor on the glass. You are telling me a benchwarmer on THIS year's team is going to all of a sudden become our starting power forward? Please. I recall people on here when Langford signed saying he was going to compete for minutes at the point guard position. Not sure where that all went. Also on offense a 4 should at least be competent in the back to basket game. I haven't seen anything from him to be able to do that at all. The stretch 4 argument isn't a possibility either seeing as he can't shoot a lick. Langford was a huge reach by the last staff that is showing now. As I recall we were the only high major to offer him.

He may be a great kid, and I really do hope the best for him in all facets of life. But it's just not going to work out for him in basketball at this school.

JMO
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:13 PM   #5105
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
All roster projections aside, I think next year the biggest benefit we will see is competition for playing time.
Abrams, Egwu, Bertrand, and Rice are all rotation locks.
Throw in the contributions that the 5 freshmen can make, even if it's on limited bases, Henry, Langford, Shaw, and Ibby need to really commit to getting better if they are going to see the floor next season.
If one or more don't return next year, we'll potentially have a JUCO or 5th year transfer that will also factor into the equation.
If they're back, MS, MyH, DL and ID will have to scratch and claw to earn PT over JG's own recruits (AC and MM). Being JG's recruits, these guys were pursued by JG because they fit his schemes. That'll give them a leg up on earning PT at the 4 and 5.

Even JB and TA will be pushed hard by the frosh. I think they'll both start, but they won't be able to relax with JG's first recruiting class coming in. This will hopefully provide accountability, more competition in practice and improved play on the floor.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:15 PM   #5106
IlliniEX2011
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
Brandon Francis
2014 SG
6'4" 200lb

A little reminiscent of McCamey and Williams.
Wow, he looks smooth, that little shake and bake midrange fallaway in the second vid was beautiful.

Let's say 3 leave out of Shaw, Henry, Langford, Ibby. We could have this coming in just 2 years:

Michael Finke PF
Lyle or Austin or Zabo
Alexander or Okafor
Desmond Lee or Brandon Francis

Any combo of this is pretty solid and I think the only one we have a high chance of completely striking out on is Alexander and Okafor. I think the others we have at least have a good shot of one or the other.

Add this to the 2013 and we are deep, talented and young with Abrams and Egwu as senior leaders.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:36 PM   #5107
dacookiemonsta
Banned
Lyle "might" make decision in two weeks or less

http://illinois.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1466365

Last edited by Dan; Jan 31, 2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:37 PM   #5108
dacookiemonsta
Banned
Then it speculates Louisville or Illinois.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:04 PM   #5109
BlockI
Banned
Here is to hoping his assistant coach is in his ear about UI!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:08 PM   #5110
IanKEvans2
Talk about a midnight bombshell... Here's to hoping for the best!

Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:08 PM   #5111
dacookiemonsta
Banned
We might as well get the positive mojo train going.

Third time is a charm?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:09 PM   #5112
dacookiemonsta
Banned
We destroyed the "recruiting" thread with like a million responses. Let's do our best with a thread devoted to a single guy showing him some love.

Make it happen illini nation. We have nothing better else to do!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:13 PM   #5113
BlockI
Banned
It's time for a tweet bombing!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:03 AM   #5114
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniEX2011 View Post
Wow, he looks smooth, that little shake and bake midrange fallaway in the second vid was beautiful.

Let's say 3 leave out of Shaw, Henry, Langford, Ibby. We could have this coming in just 2 years:

Michael Finke PF
Lyle or Austin or Zabo
Alexander or Okafor
Desmond Lee or Brandon Francis

Any combo of this is pretty solid and I think the only one we have a high chance of completely striking out on is Alexander and Okafor. I think the others we have at least have a good shot of one or the other.

Add this to the 2013 and we are deep, talented and young with Abrams and Egwu as senior leaders.
Any vid on Desmond Lee? Francis does play like D-WILL!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:26 AM   #5115
IlliniEX2011
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSpine View Post
First post on page 187 of this thread, he looks like a really powerful combo who doesn't shy away from contact, but can still stroke from 3.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:27 AM   #5116
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSpine View Post
A coach or coaches from Illinois were in New Mexico on Monday to see Lee play. They might have some video for us.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:44 AM   #5117
CaliforniaIllini
Dang I hope this is good news for the Illini.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:01 AM   #5118
IlliniFan1988
Banned
I'm trying to temper my excitement. Lyle would be a HUGE addition to the program. I really like what I see. I know I'm not alone in saying that Illini Nation will welcome you with open arms Mr. Lyle.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:05 AM   #5119
Jkat00
Illinois, Indiana, or Louisville. Those have to be the top 3 right now with Ohio State lurking. I won't get my hopes up after Dmac and XRM, but Lyle seems to be very pro Nike and could be sold on being the guy who gets Illinois on the map. If Lyle actually commits to Illinois, Alexander would jump on board as well. Then the question becomes who is going to get creaned. Would Finke be open to paying his way for year 1 and take a 2015 scholly? That would be a great problem to have.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:09 AM   #5120
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan1988 View Post
I'm trying to temper my excitement. Lyle would be a HUGE addition to the program. I really like what I see. I know I'm not alone in saying that Illini Nation will welcome you with open arms Mr. Lyle.
We need a breakthrough recruit. In terms of playing ability, Hill could be a star at Illinois, but Groce needs not just a good player but the kind of guy who could be a pied piper for other top kids. Lyle could do that for Groce and Illinois.

Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:25 AM   #5121
HsvIllini
Hate to get my hopes up too high, but this after the visit Sunday has me at least a little hopeful.......
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:30 AM   #5122
IlliniFan1988
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
We need a breakthrough recruit. In terms of playing ability, Hill could be a star at Illinois, but Groce needs not just a good player but the kind of guy who could be a pied piper for other top kids. Lyle could do that for Groce and Illinois.
Absolutely. He is that recruit that can really open things up once others see where he goes. Groce really seems to connect with recruits and can sell a pitch. I'd say we have a solid chance of landing him.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:45 AM   #5123
Noday
I have a feeling that Lyle really wants Austin to play with him at the next level. They seem like really good friends to me. The last time when Lyle was suppose to come to an Illini game to visit he was really pushing hard for LA to visit too. This time around it seems as though he was.the one that got LA to show up. I'm thinking 2 players on our team are going to leave after this year opening up 2 rides. Big Cliff can still sign with the team next year in the spring when he said he wants to make his decision. There will most likely be a 3rd player that wants to pick up some PT on another team by that time. Who knows? I just know we can over sign by 1.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:29 AM   #5124
BoolahBoolah
Playing time, playing time, playing time. That's what we can sell above other programs. He would start from Day 1, and I'm sure he's well aware of that.

I really have a hard time believing he'd commit to Illinois this early with all the offers he has, but I guess stranger things have happened.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:08 AM   #5125
TCTORNADO
Recruits look at three things only! Winning, winning, and winning. Right now we're not to good at any of those 3 and our competition of IU, Ville, and OSU have it. Lyle will end up in the same mode as Ennis. Jackson & XRM. Not even factoring in the other 4 or 5.
Oh well, we tried.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »