Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:51 PM   #5401
TCTORNADO
Maverick Morgan with 27 pts on 11 of 13 FG's and 5 of 5 from line. 5 Rebounds.

http://www.gwocsports.com/bkGameStat...?gameid=149792
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:33 PM   #5402
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Maverick Morgan with 27 pts on 11 of 13 FG's and 5 of 5 from line. 5 Rebounds.

http://www.gwocsports.com/bkGameStat...?gameid=149792
Why does it always seem that he only gets like 4 or 5 rebounds every time his stat line is posted on here. I'm glad that we signed MM, just curious why it always seems to be like that. I hope he can rebound, because our team desperately needs help in that category.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:39 PM   #5403
Indicchief
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeandBlue89 View Post
Why does it always seem that he only gets like 4 or 5 rebounds every time his stat line is posted on here. I'm glad that we signed MM, just curious why it always seems to be like that. I hope he can rebound, because our team desperately needs help in that category.
Not sure. We will need to look at other stats too - what % is the team shooting? How many rebounds are available for him? etc.

But, he seems to have a good shooting % himself.

Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:55 PM   #5404
OrangeAndBlue217
He grabbed 5 of the teams 19 D rebounds. % wise that seems fine.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:56 PM   #5405
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
He grabbed 5 of the teams 19 D rebounds. % wise that seems fine.
Not bad given how much he is shooting.

Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:09 PM   #5406
TCTORNADO
If one goes deeper into that MM website, they will see he averages 9.2 rebounds per game. He averaged a double/double for his AAU summer season.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:27 PM   #5407
Smacko
MM is scoring very efficiently, which is great to see. It seems like people always want something to complain about with his game. He has been playing great this year and we should be ecstatic that we will have him.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:28 PM   #5408
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
If one goes deeper into that MM website, they will see he averages 9.2 rebounds per game. He averaged a double/double for his AAU summer season.
Okay good. I wasn't meaning to come off as negative, just curious is all.

I'm looking forward to having a big body manning the paint.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5409
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Are you noticing his FG percentage? He rarely misses so he can only rebound his teammates misses. I'm not worried about it to be honest. I'm concerned that when he get here he may end up at the top of the key screening and not be down low to garner any rebounds. But we'll just have to wait and see. He seems to be VERY consistent which I hope sticks with him once he arrives on campus.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:31 PM   #5410
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacko View Post
MM is scoring very efficiently, which is great to see. It seems like people always want something to complain about with his game. He has been playing great this year and we should be ecstatic that we will have him.
See post ahead ^^^

Not complaining, merely asking a question in which I could be totally off base on. Boy people are sure ready to jump on you on here. :rolleyes:
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:33 PM   #5411
Foo G
#TeamKickass
Quote:
Yeah, seriously.
He should miss more shots so that he can get a few more rebounds.
I would suggest that to him on twitter, but I don't want to get scolded by the volunteer social networking police.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:33 PM   #5412
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
Are you noticing his FG percentage? He rarely misses so he can only rebound his teammates misses. I'm not worried about it to be honest. I'm concerned that when he get here he may end up at the top of the key screening and not be down low to garner any rebounds. But we'll just have to wait and see. He seems to be VERY consistent which I hope sticks with him once he arrives on campus.
I think he'll be just fine.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:36 PM   #5413
AzIlliniFan
I've not seen him play yet. Can anyone who's seen a game or two his tell me how he is getting his points? Do they run pick and rolls all game? Is he posting up his man the majority of the time? Dayton did you ever get to that tournament to watch him play? I think someone else on here was going to try and catch a game or two of his as well.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:37 PM   #5414
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
Yeah, seriously.
He should miss more shots so that he can get a few more rebounds.
I would suggest that to him on twitter, but I don't want to get scolded by the volunteer social networking police.
Everyone is a comedian tonight eh?

He isn't going to shoot like he does in H.S. here next year. So the way he is going to impact the game is through rebounding and on defense. I could care less about what his shooting percentage is in a high school game. He is most likely playing against a kid 5 to 6 inches shorter than him. I think he is very good player, and I think he will contribute in the paint next year.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:44 PM   #5415
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Everyone is a comedian tonight eh?

He isn't going to shoot like he does in H.S. here next year. So the way he is going to impact the game is through rebounding and on defense. I could care less about what his shooting percentage is in a high school game. He is most likely playing against a kid 5 to 6 inches shorter than him. I think he is very good player, and I think he will contribute in the paint next year.
Hey, what's wrong with a little humor while we are all sipping a beer while gathered around the laptops here on a Friday night? It's not as if we could all go out and try and pick up some chicks or something!! Hey, wait a minute!!! What a sorry bunch we are

EDIT, sorry, no offense to the Illini gals out there! Hey Dan, how about an IL dating service?? Start a thread, post a bio, a pic and let nature take it's course..

Last edited by AzIlliniFan; Feb 1, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:52 PM   #5416
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
Hey, what's wrong with a little humor while we are all sipping a beer while gathered around the laptops here on a Friday night? It's not as if we could all go out and try and pick up some chicks or something!! Hey, wait a minute!!! What a sorry bunch we are
I'm impressed with your ability to predict my situation. Might I say you are spot on with the beer notion :laugh:

I'm just glad that I that we have a game against Wisconsin on Sunday. Now I have something to watch while ESPN covers every possible nook, cranny, and storyline of previewing the Super Bowl all day.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:57 PM   #5417
StLouIllini
Malcolm drops 37 tonight against East St. Louis.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:00 PM   #5418
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouIllini View Post
Thats that good stuff.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:01 PM   #5419
othawhitemeat
Malcolm Hill is going to be our best recruit in a long-time. My prediction, but the guy can scorer, is ideal size with solid athleticism for the 2/3 and has a high bball IQ!

Very under-rated recruit.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5420
cash35
Is there any video of maverick? I havent seen him play
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:16 PM   #5421
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Malcom Hill

That kid is going to be a stud here at ILL. I love how he stayed loyal to the program.

I love how groce brought in a player at every position. One of our biggest problem's the past couple years has been that we don't have a true point guard. I really like Tracy, however there really isn't a true point guard on this roster. We have way way too many combo players. It's nice to actually get a group where the kids have true positions. No more trying to turn shooting guards into point guards. Tate might not every start at Illinois, but he will be a very unselfish and productive pure point guard for us.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:17 PM   #5422
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash35 View Post
Is there any video of maverick? I havent seen him play
youtube
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:20 PM   #5423
Foo G
#TeamKickass
Quote:
It would be cool to see him win Mr. Basketball this year.
I think Parker is going to get a lot of lazy votes based on reputation instead of on-court performance.
Okafor probably deserves a lot of consideration as well.
He's had a monster season so far.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:25 PM   #5424
fan17
Quote:
I left this game with 3-12 minutes to go as ESTL was up 14 and parking was a nightmare. He had 22 at that point on 7-16 FGA and 5-6 FT. Saw that the final was 90-85 as Beast outscored ESTL 40-26 in the 4th. Beast now has 3 losses and 2 of them are to ESTL.

best player tonight was Deshawn Munson of ESTL. Saw that his stats were 28 pts, 16 reb, 11 assists, and 8 steals. The kid is an athletic freak at 6-3". He is very good passer and despite being a horrible shooter, he somehow gets to the rim at will and he can flat out get up. Very powerful. Handles the ball well and sees the court extremely well and is a blur in the open court. Sorry, but at this point he is better than JT and has a B1G body. Hill was playing off him 6-7' and he still would blow by him. HAve no idea why MH was guarding him and they did switch up as the game went on.

tough to gauge MH as ESTL was pressing and playing a trapping zone defense. He primarily played on the perimeter, but did make a couple nice drives. The reason he will see time for the Illini next season is that he can shoot and has a quick release. Be prepared as his shot is wierd. Left hand leaves the ball very early and he actually shoots with one hand. Who cares as it is very soft with excellent trajectory. Belleville East has very little interior play and that hurts as they can cheat towards Hill. Unfortunately we have very little interior play. He is not a great athlete, but he is a basketball player. The one thing that I did not see and it simply was not the game for it was if he can come off a screen. I think a comparison as to the type of player he will be is Reggie Miller.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:33 PM   #5425
StLouIllini
Munson is a good player. The problem with him is grades. Not sure he can qualify. I think a local school (SIUC, SLU or Mizzou State) should take a shot on this kid. If he can get in and play he will be good. He's very athletic and strong.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »