Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Wisconsin, Sunday, February 3rd, 2:30pm CT, BTN

Closed Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:29 PM   #51
Adnarel
One would think. I'm waiting for him to get the point where he realizes his games left as a college player are numbered, and he starts to go beast mode. Not sure if that's consistent with his personality, though...

Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:31 PM   #52
alexander58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
Finally a voice of reason. Take a few guys from the board, a few cases of a good microbrew a week, use of a plane (probably could get the pilot off the board too) and we'd have a winner! Cheap too.
I ll fly the plane. Im as qualified to do that as I am to coach D1 basketball.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:26 PM   #53
ILLINISTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by solbur2 View Post
Im sorry but this is an awful suggestion. Brandon Paul is the sole reason we can even talk about making the tourney while Bertrand has been terrible in recent games. You don't bench your best player and a senior at that! Last time Weber did that last year at Nebraska and how did that work? He did also did it vs iowa and we won but the pressure was off and the season was over at that point
So your saying that Weber benching BP at Nebraska is why we lost by 25? That's silly. Coaches don't bench players because they are trying to lose, they are trying to make a point that said player is not doing as instructed or to correct attitude problem. In BP's case both. When a team goes on a losing streak as severely as we have it is a coaches job to try and right the ship. Especially when we are teetering on making Tourny. BP's turnovers started the MSU comeback. A team like ours who are struggling to make shots cannot afford TO's. Each possession is so important and we must value the ball. Coach obviously thought BP on said night was not taking care of the ball so to stop the bleeding he subbed in someone else. Not a big deal, happens all the time in BBall. I think you still have to start BP because starting someone else would cause a rift, announcers would mention it, papers write about it ect.. and Groce doesn't want to embarass BP. I think Groce sent a message and we will see how BP responds on the court tomorrow, but if he's taking poor shots and giving the ball away don't be suprised to see him sit again. Doesn't matter if he's a senior or a soph. We are trying to win games, bottom line, and we shouldn't care who gets the credit.

Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:41 PM   #54
bigillinfan11
If Brandon is not playing well you need to bench him and i think Myke Henry could have another big game. Hoping Griffey will finally make some 3's and i want to see Bertrand take more role on offense and attack more
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:00 PM   #55
ILLINISTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigillinfan11 View Post
If Brandon is not playing well you need to bench him and i think Myke Henry could have another big game. Hoping Griffey will finally make some 3's and i want to see Bertrand take more role on offense and attack more
I agree. Henry gave some great minutes the other night. Totally agree about JoeBert. We've seen him very agressive in other games but he seemed a little hesitant against MSU. He has the skills to take the ball into the paint and get his own shot. When the 3's aren't falling and points get hard to come by he can be a guy who creates something for himself. I really hope Griff can get off the skid. You can see the disappointment on his face. Don't know if he can find some confidence to finish the season or not, I hope so too. I really thought pre season that he would be our difference make this year.

Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:20 PM   #56
AzIlliniFan
I think a lot of us believed TG would be a difference maker this year. Early on he was. Let's hope he finds his Mojo and finishes strong.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:01 PM   #57
JoeJ
I think JoeB needs to go back to driving the lane and shooting the floater.
Not sure what will motivate BP. How did we have 1 TO in the 1st half, and BP has two in the 1st two possessions of the 2nd. Was MSU slacking in half 1, or is it us?
Certainly a must win against Wisc. We are #34 in the RPI. Shows how flawed that system is.
Saw part of ESPN gameday. The Big East doofus says the BIG is falling apart. What happened to Minn, IL, WI lately? DUH, they are losing to other BIG teams. Thinks FL is the best team in the country.
GO ILLINI!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:39 PM   #58
Lovethechief78
Quote:
Originally Posted by classof2016 View Post
This is it. Absolutely gotta have this one.

Absolutely gotta have this one, too.

Long live the Chief!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:07 PM   #59
joekam
And remember, death is not an option:

The bad shot selection and decision making of BP3 or the bad shot selection and decision making of Nate Robinson of the Bulls?

Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:08 PM   #60
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekam View Post

The bad shot selection and decision making of BP3 or the bad shot selection and decision making of Nate Robinson of the Bulls?
Nate shot 8-16 (4-6 from 3) and scored 20 pts with 8 assists, 3 steals and only 2 TOs in 40 minutes tonight running the offense in a 17-point win at Atlanta. Pretty good shot selection and decision making.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:24 PM   #61
joekam
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
Nate shot 8-16 (4-6 from 3) and scored 20 pts with 8 assists, 3 steals and only 2 TOs in 40 minutes tonight running the offense in a 17-point win at Atlanta. Pretty good shot selection and decision making.
Yeah... I've been catching up on the dvr. But he's still inconsistent and can be frustrating at times.

Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:33 PM   #62
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Yeah... I've been catching up on the dvr. But he's still inconsistent and can be frustrating at times.
True. Guess the differences are Nate isn't counted on to be a focal point of the Bulls' O. He's more of a sparkplug/sixth man. Plus Nate has actually been a successful NBA player for about a decade. BP most likely will never see one minute of NBA action.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:30 PM   #63
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
He's more of a sparkplug/sixth man.

BP most likely will never see one minute of NBA action.
Sounds like Joe Bertrand, no?

I don't know if I'd go as far to say Paul will never see one minute of NBA play.

Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:41 PM   #64
rtbritt
Just to start up some chatter.....

I honestly think if Brandon Paul played for Michigan, he'd be a starter that a lot of people talk about being a major player in the B1G.

Just think about it. Michigan wasn't very good for a lot of years before the last 2. So he'd likely be a starter by his sophomore year of college for Michigan. Then he'd have last year as a junior playing next to Burke, which would mask his deficiencies as a ball handler and passer. Now he'd be a senior who had been a 2-3 year starter. No way do I think Stauskas AND Robinson III beat him out of starter positions as freshmen.

Before you tell me I'm insane and need to stop drinking the kool-aid; just think about it rationally. If you disagree, that's cool too. I'm not a huge Paul fan either. I just think he is asked to do too much for a team that isn't very good. He does though have some definite "talent" and if you surround him with the talent Michigan has, I think he'd shine.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:43 PM   #65
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Sounds like Joe Bertrand, no?

I don't know if I'd go as far to say Paul will never see one minute of NBA play.
I hope some team takes a chance on him in the 2nd round of the draft, but it's hard to blame GMs if none of them does. He has more athletic ability than DMac, but DMac wasn't drafted and hasn't played one game in the NBA yet and probably never will. DMac had a more successful tenure at UI than BP has.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:38 AM   #66
illini12
I was looking at Illinois' team stats this year and saw Brandon Paul is leading our team with 4.7 rpg. Went back and looked at the last 12 years of team stats that ESPN had for Illinois, and the lowest total our leading rebounder had in that 12 year span was 2 years ago when Mike Davis averaged 7.1 and Tisdale had 6.5. THAT was the lowest total. How are our bigs so bad at rebounding that they are 3 rpg lower than the average illini big over the last decade?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:03 AM   #67
alexander58
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini12 View Post
I was looking at Illinois' team stats this year and saw Brandon Paul is leading our team with 4.7 rpg. Went back and looked at the last 12 years of team stats that ESPN had for Illinois, and the lowest total our leading rebounder had in that 12 year span was 2 years ago when Mike Davis averaged 7.1 and Tisdale had 6.5. THAT was the lowest total. How are our bigs so bad at rebounding that they are 3 rpg lower than the average illini big over the last decade?
Dont you think the lower rebounding numbers arema result of the system?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:38 AM   #68
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Time for Illinois to start winning

Illinois' trio of Top 25 victories is a big reason bracketology experts Joe Lunardi and Jerry Palm still have it hanging on to an NCAA bid by a thread. The real question, though, is why the Illini are capable of such ups and downs within the same game.

"I wish I could tell you," said coach John Groce, who was appalled Michigan State scored the first 14 points of the second half. "You're talking about in between the ears and in the chest. When you play against a really good Michigan State ballclub on the road, you can't come out like that."

Herb Gould
Quote:
Illinois in must-win situation against Badgers

Groce has cracked the whip on defensive improvement leading into today's game.

"We did some really good things on the offensive end," Groce said. "We scored 75 points on 74 offensive possessions against a really good defensive club. Our shot selection was good. We moved the ball well. We really took care of the ball except for the first five minutes of the second half.

"But defensively we were not as good. We struggled to guard ball screens and we fouled too much. We have to clean some things up there. We want to play better defensively and that will be the emphasis (today)."

Tupper
Quote:
The Illini are 5-3 on Super Bowl Sunday

The Illini are playing on Super Bowl Sunday for the ninth time in program history and enter today with a 5-3 mark on the day of the NFL's big game. They lost last year to Northwestern 74-70 at home on Super Sunday. The only affect, they say, might be in attendance. The team won't be distracted. "These guys are used to it. When you're at Illinois at a place like this, if you want distractions to be a part of what you're going through on a daily basis, there's a lot of them out there," Groce said. "We try to lock in on what we can control and keep very focused on what we're doing and the game plan. At the same time, I want them to be loose and be aggressive, have fun, compete, trying to keep that all in perspective."

Marcus Jackson

Last edited by Dan; Feb 3, 2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:43 AM   #69
PointGuardU01
Quote:

At least Nate plays with energy...not always pointed in the right direction but much better than BP's lethargic play. I cant even get excited about the game today because I know Brandon Paul will suck the life out of the team with poor and selfish play.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:01 AM   #70
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander58 View Post
Dont you think the lower rebounding numbers arema result of the system?
We still play mainly man to man on defense, the same "system" we've played forever.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:03 AM   #71
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbritt View Post
Just to start up some chatter.....

I honestly think if Brandon Paul played for Michigan, he'd be a starter that a lot of people talk about being a major player in the B1G.

Just think about it. Michigan wasn't very good for a lot of years before the last 2. So he'd likely be a starter by his sophomore year of college for Michigan. Then he'd have last year as a junior playing next to Burke, which would mask his deficiencies as a ball handler and passer. Now he'd be a senior who had been a 2-3 year starter. No way do I think Stauskas AND Robinson III beat him out of starter positions as freshmen.

Before you tell me I'm insane and need to stop drinking the kool-aid; just think about it rationally. If you disagree, that's cool too. I'm not a huge Paul fan either. I just think he is asked to do too much for a team that isn't very good. He does though have some definite "talent" and if you surround him with the talent Michigan has, I think he'd shine.
I keep seeing stuff like this but I just don't think it's true.

As we've discussed multiple times here, Brandon doesn't play with enough energy, focus, desire, etc. to be a starter on a team like Michigan. Or if he did start he would be the first one subbed for and would probably share equal minutes with a guy from the bench.

The kid is ubber-athletic but he just doesn't have the rest of the attributes necessary to start or play a bunch on a top-5 team.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:14 AM   #72
Railsplitter
Banned
I have my pizza rolls , my miller 64 and expect a 64 61 win . If the Illini lose I will punish myself by watching the rest of the games this year . GO Myke Henry in your first start over turnover BP !
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:36 AM   #73
britt31
on my way to the House of Paign!! coming from the heart of badger country, can't wait to get our payback today!! I L L
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:59 AM   #74
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
You apparently missed the "most likely" part of the statement. Yes, most likely he won't make a roster.

Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:14 AM   #75
bleedsorangenblue
The positive going into today is that the game is at home. Let's hope that Groce's emphasis on defense this week and the team's improved shooting turn this game into a W. It is a winnable game but who knows what team of ours will show up.

Glad to see Groce sit BP for a spell last game when his head was not in the game. Hope this continues and the other guys can pick up the slack. Don't mean to knock on the kid as I think he is a valuable asset to the team. He has to keep his focus and maybe Groce has learned that he needs some bench time to help him do so. Perhaps this strategy will help this team to play better as a unit.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »