Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

2013 Signing Day Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:52 PM   #226
pizzaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansaint View Post
I guess I'm concerned what fans will think if Bailey turns out to be Nate Scheelhaase.
Taking one human and turning him into another is probably worth a nobel prize.

Seriously, just because one guy hasn't achieved the lofty heights hoped for doesn't mean squat to his replacement. JMO
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:54 PM   #227
dansaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
Taking one human and turning him into another is probably worth a nobel prize.

Seriously, just because one guy hasn't achieved the lofty heights hoped for doesn't mean squat to his replacement. JMO
I know...but I am just saying this for the "fans" who take so much into these recruiting things.

I guess I really don't care about recruits until they SHOW IT on the field.

Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:54 PM   #228
PaytonHighstep
Quote:
I guess I'm concerned what fans will think if Bailey turns out to be Nate Scheelhaase.

Illini Nation were excited as heck to get Scheelhaase and then sophmore and junior year...fans started to lose their love for him.

I guess I'm just kinda pessimistic about us and mobile QB's because we really haven't had any luck in that area in a while

there are so many variables and I don't want to lump all similar type players together and worry about them. The coaching, schedules, workouts, work ethic, how a kid reacts to situations, decision making abilities, etc are all different from player to player. On the surface, they are the same kind of player, but to worry about what they will become in an Illini uniform is up to the situation. We all know every situation is unique.

Bailey will become what he wants to become with hardwork. The coaches and Bailey will hopefully work to make him the best dual threat QB possible before he leaves Illinois.
PaytonHighstep is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:03 PM   #229
goillini75
GO ILLINI GO
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
wow he looks like some bowling ball fullback kinda like the guy we lost to auburn. i know he is playing tight end but i could see him as a blocking back.
goillini75 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:39 PM   #230
Ilovetheillini
On espn we finished as the 8th best recruiting class in the big ten....they have Indiana over us
Ilovetheillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:10 PM   #231
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheillini View Post
On espn we finished as the 8th best recruiting class in the big ten....they have Indiana over us
Scout has us 5th and Rivals has us 7th. Doesn't mean squat.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:12 PM   #232
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
From Beckman presser:

Hull ---> WR
Cajuste ---> DE
That one was long needed.

Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:16 PM   #233
Warriors1994
*Glad to see OL already putting on weight... huge getting them in early.
*really hope that the players buy in more this year and play all out every play
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:18 PM   #234
Dan
Admin
Signing Day Sights & Sounds

IlliniProductionsHD
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:22 PM   #235
DaytonIllini
Does Hermosillo have the skills to be converted to WR? Is that the plan?

Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:24 PM   #236
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Pretty sure he was recruited for the slot.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:30 PM   #237
Dan
Admin
Coach Golesh Signing Day Interview

Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:38 PM   #238
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Coach Golesh Signing Day Interview

I love Golesh. I can see why kids want to come here after talking to him.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:11 PM   #239
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Pretty sure he was recruited for the slot.
Hermosillo was a perfect slot WR in the run-oriented spread offense. He would have been catching screen passes and making his yardage after the catch in space. With Cubit's offense it is harder to see how he fits.

Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:20 PM   #240
dansaint
wonder if Hermosillo will play baseball at Illinois since he's considered a real draft prospect

Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:28 PM   #241
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
I love Golesh. I can see why kids want to come here after talking to him.
He's very engaging. I really think this coaching staff could do some amazing things recruiting if they can just win some football games. I'm not sure how that will happen but I really hope for the sake of Illinois football that it does.
illiniobserver22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:32 PM   #242
illiniobserver22
Quote:
wonder if Hermosillo will play baseball at Illinois since he's considered a real draft prospect
In the chat the SID didn't sound so positive that he would, but I have to imagine that he wants to and I bet Hartleb will be lobbying hard for him.
illiniobserver22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:38 PM   #243
FT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO View Post
Read on Richwoods High School football site that TE Brandon Roberts will sign with Illini tonight

Wow. I never imagined that Illinois would have two recruits from Richwoods in the same class. As a Richwoods graduate, that makes me very happy.

There were a few walkons from Richwoods that were on the squad in the late 90s and early 00s, including Kendrick's father, James Foster.

I know Brandon was being looked at by Northwestern, but I don't know if he had any FBS offers. He's 6'4, has good athleticism, and he also plays basketball for Richwoods.
FT35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:44 PM   #244
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Coach Beckman introducing the #SigningDay class to #IlliniNation at the Colonnades Club. http://pic.twitter.com/36ksUzX5

http://twitter.com/IlliniFootball
Quote:
#StandingRoomOnly #Illini #SigningDay http://pic.twitter.com/i5hHBB3g

http://twitter.com/ILPremSeating

Last edited by Dan; Feb 6, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:46 PM   #245
calibear
When I read the comment about the lineman have already put on at least 10 punds each I pictureed one those ship from around the time of roman empire. The guys lined up in twos one after the other 5" long subs in their hands instead of oars a coaching cracking a whip in cadence saying 'EAT, EAT, EAT'.
calibear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:32 PM   #246
Kramer116
Quote:

Illini Nation were excited as heck to get Scheelhaase and then sophmore and junior year...fans started to lose their love for him.

I guess I'm just kinda pessimistic about us and mobile QB's because we really haven't had any luck in that area in a while
Think more Juice Williams than Nate Scheelhaase when looking at Bailley.

One important factor is that Bailey comes from Bolingbrook, a big suburban school who has a big football program. Juice came from Chicago Vocational in the CPL. There is no comparison between the amount of money/resources and coaching dedicated to each program.

I think a pretty fair comparison for Bailey is a Braxton Miller as an incoming FR. I am not saying Miller now, as he has really blossomed under Urban Meyer. But they are similar prospects coming in as FR imo.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:50 PM   #247
Kramer116
I think it can't hurt to take a look at each class still on campus and where the positions of strength are and how many contributors we are looking at potentially for this upcoming season:

2009 (22 signed)

- Only contributors left look to be Nate and Kynard (and maybe Hull)
- 9 guys left the program early due to discipline, transfer, or injury... of out 22...
- This class had a lot of pretty highly ranked guys but killed us depth wise. That really hurts.

2010 (23 signed)

- Contributors include Brown, Heitz, Simon C, Lankford, Millines, Harris, E Thomas, E Wilson
- Maybe contributors include Bates at the Leo, Hill, Afryl, Howe, Teitsma (doubtful on the last 4 but maybe 1 will?
- 6 are gone already because of transfer, discipline, grades

2011 (28 signed)

- Contributors include Jon Davis, Ferguson, DY5, Karras, DuVernois
- Maybe contributors include LaCosse, Eaton Spence, Dickinsin, O'Toole, Darrius Caldwell
- 3 never made it (Beavers, Kirby, Tucker) and 2 more gone because of discipline
- A lot of guys who have not had a chance yet, we need to get lucky and hit on a couple of them as upperclassmen

Typically the best programs have a pretty solid about of RS-SR's leading the team. We have 2 maybe 3 tops. Not good. The SR class is at least contributing, but it only has one real star in Brown. Hopefully we have some of these guys who have been playing take that "SR year step" that seems to happen every year. JR class has a few contributors, but we really need some guys to step up. Beckman did not sound confident in the JR class and felt that class left some holes depth wise.

Major holes in recruiting at the end of the Zook era killed us.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:59 PM   #248
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Think more Juice Williams than Nate Scheelhaase when looking at Bailley.

One important factor is that Bailey comes from Bolingbrook, a big suburban school who has a big football program. Juice came from Chicago Vocational in the CPL. There is no comparison between the amount of money/resources and coaching dedicated to each program.

I think a pretty fair comparison for Bailey is a Braxton Miller as an incoming FR. I am not saying Miller now, as he has really blossomed under Urban Meyer. But they are similar prospects coming in as FR imo.
That's good to hear....I would rather have a guy who can at least get the ball downfield..maybe we get lucky and the intangibles come together and we end up with a real QB.....the preferred walk on from Charleston ( iirc) looks to have nice touch but the cursed slow release..which is why he might not have had the option of a high major offer...

Well it's signing day and hope springs eternal!
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:22 PM   #249
80sBelongToTheIllini
Someone told me that Aaron Bailey, as an option QB not a pro-style QB, is rated higher than Johnny Manziel was when he came out of high school. If true, it just shows you just never know.

Johnny Manziel (from Wikipedia)

He was highly recruited out of high school; in addition to Texas A&M, he received offers from Baylor, Colorado State, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Oregon, Rice, Stanford, Tulsa, and Wyoming.[11]

Name Hometown High school / college Height Weight 40‡ Commit date Johnny Manziel
QB Kerrville, Texas Tivy High School 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m) 190 lb (86 kg) 4.7 Feb 2, 2011 Scout: Rivals: ESPN grade: 78

Last edited by 80sBelongToTheIllini; Feb 6, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
80sBelongToTheIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:46 PM   #250
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I guess [Darwyn Kelly] was injured for most of this year. That might have been why we didn't hear that much about Kelly.
This was emailed to me, take it fwiw-

"Darwyn was not hurt this past year, he was dismissed from school for residency issue on Oct. 12, 2013, after only playing 5 games of his senior season, he finished homeschooling on Jan 3, 2013 and graduated. Wanted to enroll early but missed deadline for Spring semester. He is currently training and working out twice a day and being mentored by former Illni Tavon Wilson (NE) and Ed Reed (Baltimore Ravens). He will start school in May."

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »