Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

2013 Signing Day Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:48 PM   #251
Lake Camelot
http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_...class-rankings

Quote:
4. Illinois: The Illini have a little bit of everything in Tim Beckman’s first true class: five junior college players to ramp up the talent level quickly, a few promising in-state recruits (Bolingbrook QB, Peoria Richwoods RB Kendrick Foster) and pick-ups from talent hotbeds such as Ohio, Texas and Florida.

Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:49 PM   #252
Dan
Admin
More Audio & Video from today's Signing Day-

WCIA Video: Signing Day Overview
WCIA Video: Aaron Bailey ready to step in at Illinois
WCIA Video: Bryce Douglas ready to carry on Illini tradition

Tay & J Show: Alex Golesh and Bryce Douglas
Tay & J Show: Doug Bucshon and Kendrick Foster
Tay & J Show: Aaron Bailey

WDWS: Sports Talk 02-06-13

Video highlights of the 25 members of the 2013 class: http://www.fightingillini.com/signingday/#signees
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:21 PM   #253
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
This was emailed to me, take it fwiw-

"Darwyn was not hurt this past year, he was dismissed from school for residency issue on Oct. 12, 2013, after only playing 5 games of his senior season, he finished homeschooling on Jan 3, 2013 and graduated. Wanted to enroll early but missed deadline for Spring semester. He is currently training and working out twice a day and being mentored by former Illni Tavon Wilson (NE) and Ed Reed (Baltimore Ravens). He will start school in May."
Helluva couple guys to have mentoring you!
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:23 PM   #254
Dan
Admin
Illinois' Class of 2013 rank on Scout:

#5 in the B1G
#42 Nationally

Illinois' Class of 2013 rank on Rivals:

#7 in the B1G
#46 Nationally
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:28 PM   #255
AHSIllini32
Banned
Thanks for the rankings Dan.

All in all, that's a damn good job by the staff considering everything that happened and all the coaching changes.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:40 PM   #256
Lake Camelot
What happened?

Did anyone ever hear if this kid ended up signing? Alex Collins

Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:42 PM   #257
Groundhogday
Quote:

"Darwyn was not hurt this past year, he was dismissed from school for residency issue on Oct. 12, 2013, after only playing 5 games of his senior season, he finished homeschooling on Jan 3, 2013 and graduated. Wanted to enroll early but missed deadline for Spring semester. He is currently training and working out twice a day and being mentored by former Illni Tavon Wilson (NE) and Ed Reed (Baltimore Ravens). He will start school in May."
Bummer he couldn't make it in this spring.

Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:47 PM   #258
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Hermosillo was a perfect slot WR in the run-oriented spread offense. He would have been catching screen passes and making his yardage after the catch in space. With Cubit's offense it is harder to see how he fits.
Did he catch any passes in HS? I thought he played RB only.

Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:00 PM   #259
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Did he catch any passes in HS? I thought he played RB only.
I seem to remember him catching swing passes, but yes he was a RB. For a slot WR in Campbell's offense, he would have been just like Page. Passes to Page were essentially long handoffs.

Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:40 PM   #260
Ander1345
Would be nice to work the fly sweep in to our arsenal using Hermosillo. Can run some interior runs with DY5 off of that motion across the field to free up the inside as long as we can get him going in space.
Ander1345 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:03 PM   #261
RyanK
Here is video of the Spearman commitment. What a clown.

http://www.csnchicago.com/video_cont...al-signing-day

Skip to :42
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:10 PM   #262
Wokker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post

Karma is a B****. I see this coming back to bite him.
Wokker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:11 PM   #263
Ander1345
What was Brooks's injury? Pretty cool that he's still getting to play at BGSU.
Ander1345 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:12 PM   #264
Warriors1994
Quote:

I wanted to puke watching that. That was even less funny than what I thought it would be without seeing the video. How P'/O'd does his friend that committed to Syracuse have to be? He ran over to congratulate him only for him to throw off the hat.

Reinforces why I am not upset at all he didnt pick us. Not the kind of kid Beckman wants in our program
Warriors1994 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:19 PM   #265
KJKobs
In-state focus pays off for Illini (warning: by Shannon Ryan)

Quote:
Illinois' class is ranked 46th nationally in the 247 composite rankings, which combines Rivals.com, Scout.com, ESPN and 247 Sports.

"I'm very proud of what this coaching staff has done because, of course, it wasn't the record we all wanted to have," Beckman said.

The recruiting plan was to attack the six-hour radius surrounding Champaign and ingrain every coach in the Chicago recruiting scene. That yielded four players from the Chicago area and eight from the state.

The main blemish was losing the only linebacker commitment when Reggie Spearman decided this week to go to Iowa. The Simeon senior had committed to Illinois in August.
Oh Shannon, if you actually paid attention you'd realize that most fans are just fine with this and don't view it as the "main blemish" (instead Jones or Dawson, IMO)

Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:32 PM   #266
IlliniFan1988
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJKobs View Post
In-state focus pays off for Illini (warning: by Shannon Ryan)

Oh Shannon, if you actually paid attention you'd realize that most fans are just fine with this and don't view it as the "main blemish" (instead Jones or Dawson, IMO)
Doing what she has to do to sell some papers in Northwestern country. No real gripes with the class. We fill the holes we needed to and got just about everything the coaches were after. Hopefully we can get the ball rolling on future classes as well as develop those we have now to play to the best of their abilities.
IlliniFan1988 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:34 PM   #267
IlliniFan1988
Banned
Javen't seen yet. A real shame that this happened too. Not the first time a parent has either openly chastised a player (I believe that was the Army Recruit game 1 year ago) now this fruit loop doing this. Hopefully he was able to e-mail it in without incident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Camelot View Post

IlliniFan1988 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:56 PM   #268
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokker View Post
Karma is a B****. I see this coming back to bite him.
Bite him for what?...showboating?....Just as likely Spearman becomes a beast...since when does being a jerk or clown disqualify you from being a great player?....football is full of them at every level...anyhow, a little attitude might do our defense some good as opposed to doing an imitation of a speed bump..

Not a good citizen?....how's his grades?...any arrests?...maybe he goes to Church and loves his Mom...those things must have been in order if we offered him....so if him tweaking us and Cuse is his great sin then Karma shouldn't waste her time being a b!tch
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:16 PM   #269
RHITIllini
Quote:

If he continues to be mentored by those guys and train twice a day, as long as he isn't behind at all academically, then maybe it'll work out after all. That's two pretty good guys to be mentored by.
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:53 PM   #270
Jimmy McNulty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Camelot View Post

His mom returned and is SUPPOSED to let him sign for Arkansas sometime tomorrow. Sounded like no one in the family was supporting the kids decision. Think that it's hilarious that it happened to Biliema (SP?) but gotta feel for the kid.
Jimmy McNulty is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:46 AM   #271
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Illinois' Class of 2013 rank on Scout:

#5 in the B1G
#42 Nationally

Illinois' Class of 2013 rank on Rivals:

#7 in the B1G
#46 Nationally
Do these rankings take into account need?

As someone who doesn't follow football recruiting very much, I'm a bit surprised we did so well. I went back and looked at the schools that have ranked in the mid-40s over the past several years and found some programs with recent success including Stanford, Baylor, West Virginia, etc. With good coaching this seems to be "good enough" to get the ball rolling in the right direction.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:11 AM   #272
KBLEE
Quote:
‏@coachbeckman
Thanks to all for coming to 2013 Signing Date in the Collandes Club. We as a staff really enjoyed you being there! Go Fighting Illini!
Someone needs to tell Coach how to spell "Colonnades Club"
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:21 AM   #273
txillini
Quote:

I don't think I've ever been so happy to not sign a player. He's a tool.

And Hull to WR was the best thing I heard today. Good news for the team, GREAT news for him. How awful it must be to get stuck playing a position you're not good at and then get the wrath of the fans when you blow it. Seems like a fantastic kid.
txillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:56 AM   #274
scubadunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
Someone needs to tell Coach how to spell "Colonnades Club"
Well you do know he got a 12 on his ACT so spelling may not be his strong suit.:laugh:
scubadunk is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:57 AM   #275
louisvilleillini
I thought coach and the staff did a good job in getting this class. Having 10 guys on campus now will really help for spring ball. Will get a look at the JC guys before the fall. Looking for a good year in 2013.
louisvilleillini is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »