Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

A 9 or 10-game conference schedule for the Big Ten?

Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:33 PM   #26
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
You're right. Is it really too much to expect 10 good in conference competitive games that mean something. The other two games can be patsies or big draws if you're looking for a good payout.

As for bowls, you need to be .500 in conference or stay home. The two non-conf games don't count.
ok by me too.

Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:55 AM   #27
Dan
Admin
Quote:
A B1G source tells me there is "great support" for a 10-gm conf sked. But is great enuf? Coaches would despise this.

http://twitter.com/TeddyGreenstein
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:33 PM   #28
DrewD007
While 10 would make sense, I wouldn't want to do more than 9 unless the SEC bumps up their conference games to 9 or 10 as well. Just too much of a disadvantage when it comes to getting B1G teams into the playoffs.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:52 PM   #29
TheSecretWeapon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
While 10 would make sense, I wouldn't want to do more than 9 unless the SEC bumps up their conference games to 9 or 10 as well. Just too much of a disadvantage when it comes to getting B1G teams into the playoffs.
unless the B1G champ had a guaranteed spot...

Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:11 AM   #30
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
It's not worth thinking about the SEC. It's best to just assume that they will always place one, and usually two teams in the four team playoff for the immediate future. The B1G has to decide what puts them in the best position to compete with the Big 12 and PAC to get those other spots. It's also probably best to assume that your best teams will still lose a game every season, so schedule strength becomes an issue.

In the end, I think whether there are 8 games or 10 games has little effect on the ability of OSU and Michigan to compete for National Titles.

The real issue becomes the mid/minor bowls. Not allowing Illinois to schedule 3 or 4 wins will significantly impair their ability to qualify for the post season and better their program. Ditto for Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, Maryland, and Rutgers.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:19 PM   #31
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Just talked to Jim Delany. Said ADs and coaches only discussing 9- and 10-game league schedule models. No support to stay at 8 games.

The new B1G schedules (9 or 10 games) likely would go into effect for 2016 or 2017. Wouldn't happen right after Maryland/Rutgers join

http://twitter.com/ESPN_BigTen

Last edited by Dan; Feb 11, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:11 AM   #32
troyk
Banned
The more I think about it, the more I like a 10 game schedule. That will really be helpful if we go to 16, which I think we will. It will allow us to play everyone in conference at least once every few years.

The SEC is at an advantage for bowls, but at a disadvantage for pleasing their fans. The teams only have 1 crossover game a year. So you can go 6 years between playing a team in another division. Makes no sense.
troyk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:45 AM   #33
IlliNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
With 9 conference games, I think you are going to see fewer high major non-conference opponents.
That depends on the future playoff format, bowls & continued strength of broadcast contracts--right?

E.G. If strength of schedule or conference championships are most important I think you'd see high major games amongst top teams trying to prep for the conf. season like you see in BB. And money always talks, so networks can continue to bring teams together...
IlliNYC is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:58 AM   #34
jackman404
Banned
Since the new number of conference games won't happen until 2016, I think 10 games is definitely the way to go. By 2016 I expect the B1G to have at least 16 teams, if not more. With that many teams, we definitely need 10 conference games.
jackman404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:02 PM   #35
Illinnoying Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
Not allowing Illinois to schedule 3 or 4 wins will significantly impair their ability to qualify for the post season and better their program. Ditto for Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, Maryland, and Rutgers.
Exactamundo! Having the conference schedule expanded to 10 games will only separate the have's from the have not's even further. The bottom half of the conference will suffer as a result. That does not bode well for us if the past 25 years continue to be the norm for our program.
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:07 PM   #36
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
A side benefit (to more conference games) is that it makes ND's early season scheduling more difficult.
Joel Goodson is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:16 PM   #37
Illinnoying Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
A side benefit (to more conference games) is that it makes ND's early season scheduling more difficult.
Actually ND may have seen this coming as they will have pretty well phased most of the long-standing rivalry games with the Big 10 off of their schedule over the next couple of seasons.
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:29 PM   #38
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinnoying Orange View Post
Actually ND may have seen this coming as they will have pretty well phased most of the long-standing rivalry games with the Big 10 off of their schedule over the next couple of seasons.
I dont think they have done anything to change the MSU or Purdue series. I think only the UM series was the one put on hold
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:34 PM   #39
Dan
Admin
B1G expansion to 9 or 10 league games will begin in 2016 season. (Maryland & Rutgers will begin B1G play in 2014.)
Quote:
As we reported Monday RT @jaypo1961: #Badgers AD Alvarez: BIG will play 8 league games through 2015. More BIG games starting 2016 (9 or 10).

Since some are asking, Illinois AD Mike Thomas said there was "no discussion" at Ads meeting about moving to 13-game season in college fball

http://twitter.com/ESPN_BigTen

Last edited by Dan; Feb 15, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:10 PM   #40
BZuppke
My concern is also our ability to get to bowl games by scheduling some easier non-conference games. 9 is enough.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:57 PM   #41
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
My concern is also our ability to get to bowl games by scheduling some easier non-conference games. 9 is enough.
my concern is having a quality team that is competitive in the B1G and earns bowl appearances by beating other B1G teams.

Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:01 AM   #42
Dan
Admin
Quote:
League sources tell ESPN.com that a 9-game conference schedule likely will go into effect for the 2016 season -- there's still some discussion about a 10-game league slate, but all signs point to nine -- and that the goal is for every pair of teams to play at least once every four years.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...indiana-purdue
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:32 AM   #43
trevdv
It's kind of sad that it's come to this..."Our goal is to have each team play each other team at least once every four years." :rolleyes:

Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:43 AM   #44
GilThorpe
I dont like the unbalance of 4/5 home-away that 9 gives, but I have a feeling we go to 16 before any of this goes into effect anyway. at that point, 10 is a must, and the whole college football landscape is changed dramatically as well, making the current formula of scheduling yourself into bowl eligibility a moot point.
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:09 PM   #45
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
It's kind of sad that it's come to this..."Our goal is to have each team play each other team at least once every four years." :rolleyes:
Agreed. A class may play every other team in 4 years but every class will not get to visit all the other campuses in that 4 year period. Nor will they host every other team during their 4 years. It loses some of the "conference experience".

Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:56 PM   #46
champaignchris
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
2013 is going to be our 5th straight year without playing Iowa. So, they are trying to improve things.

The whole notion that every team plays every other team is relatively new, and one that not every conference does.

We've gone 15 year stretches without playing Iowa (famously, after a riot in Iowa City) and Minnesota. We didn't play Indiana at all during my entire time at Illinois as an undergrad.
champaignchris is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:40 PM   #47
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
I hope they can schedule the crossovers for early in the season. I wouldn't like the Big Ten championship to be an instant replay.
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:05 PM   #48
riffraff
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
I would like it if the B1G teams only played other B1G teams. No out of conference games. JMO
+1
riffraff is online now Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »