Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Updated Big Ten division alignment coming soon

Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:02 PM   #51
veerman76
Veerman76
With this football only we want NW with us so not all of the conference can say they will play a game in Chicago.....this is a big thing for Recruiting and keeping kids in state
veerman76 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:53 PM   #52
Dan
Admin
Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez says Michigan State wants to be in the west.

"I know Michigan State was lobbying in the West Division instead of the East." via

This would be the alignment-

Last edited by Dan; Feb 12, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:02 PM   #53
FredrickFremont
Banned
Can't they draw a straight line going about 30 degrees and -210 degrees from Merrillville, IN...

UI, PU, IU, OSU, PSU, Rutgers, Maryland (The sorta South & East division)

UNL, Minn., Iowa, UW, NU, MSU, scUM (The sorta North & West division)
FredrickFremont is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:19 PM   #54
ChiBears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

"I know Michigan State was lobbying in the West Division instead of the East." via

Dan is this confirmed that msu will be in the west?
ChiBears is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:25 PM   #55
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrickFremont View Post
Can't they draw a straight line going about 30 degrees and -210 degrees from Merrillville, IN...

The B1G wants Michigan and Ohio St in same division. I think their ADs want that too.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:27 PM   #56
ChiBears
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
The B1G wants Michigan and Ohio St in same division. I think their ADs want that too.
They have already stated that Michigan and OSU want to be in the same division both ad's have said it already.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:31 PM   #57
FredrickFremont
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiBears View Post
They have already stated that Michigan and OSU want to be in the same division both ad's have said it already.
I didn't realize it was up to them. I mean, the conference can do whatever they have to do to protect certain matchups. It's not like UM-MSU isn't just as, if not more, intense as UM-OSU.
FredrickFremont is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:33 PM   #58
ChiBears
Quote:
I didn't realize it was up to them. I mean, the conference can do whatever they have to do to protect certain matchups. It's not like UM-MSU isn't just as, if not more, intense as UM-OSU.
Michigan and Ohio St. will be in the same division when the water settles.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:00 PM   #59
Dan
Admin
Quote:

Doubt they would go that direction because it's most likely they want to go the time zone division, with only 1 team out of their timezone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiBears View Post
Dan is this confirmed that msu will be in the west?
Not a done deal. But interesting that MSU wants that alignment, that seems to be the best in terms of geography & competitive balance. Stay tuned
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:22 AM   #60
Groundhogday
Quote:

Wow. If so, then I would have to think this is what the B1G would do. I guess I can see why MSU wants in the west. In the east, they would always be little brother to Michigan, and face tOSU annually (and Penn State when they eventually get back on their feet.)

Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:23 AM   #61
IlliniSaluki
Quote:
I like this version of the divisions. It would also make it easy to adjust them if we do end up adding UVA and UNC/GT/anyothereastcoastschool by simply moving Purdue to the West at that time.
IlliniSaluki is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:51 AM   #62
GilThorpe
Quote:

This makes alot of sense on many levels. I will be just shocked if this isnt how it goes down. While MSU loves playing UM every year, they will love getting out from their shadow even more.
GilThorpe is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:53 AM   #63
BZuppke
MSU probably is also relishing the idea of playing scUM in the championship game as well.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:09 AM   #64
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
MSU probably is also relishing the idea of playing scUM in the championship game as well.
yea, but thats probably not going to occur that often.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:09 PM   #65
BZuppke
They can always dream.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:53 PM   #66
AutoPoster 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSaluki View Post
I like this version of the divisions. It would also make it easy to adjust them if we do end up adding UVA and UNC/GT/anyothereastcoastschool by simply moving Purdue to the West at that time.
That part is really interests me. Given a choice between a division with seven of the original old school Big Ten rivals plus Nebraska verses a Frankenstein division of OSU, Michigan, Indiana, and five B1G east Coast interlopers amongst whom there are no traditions, I know which one I'd take.
AutoPoster 3000 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:29 AM   #67
KJKobs
Divisions debate down to Indiana, Purdue

Quote:
The Big Ten's future division alignment is taking shape. Barring a late shift in the discussions between athletic directors and league officials, the only question to sort out is: Will Indiana or Purdue move West?
Quote:
"East" division
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers
Purdue or Indiana

"West" division
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Purdue or Indiana

Last edited by Dan; Mar 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: moved post to this thread
KJKobs is online now Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:50 AM   #68
DaytonIllini
That looks favorable for Illinois compared to the East.

Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:58 AM   #69
BZuppke
I like this. Nebraska is the only program that is a traditional power and they aren't at the level they once were. We can win this division if we ever get our act together.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:09 AM   #70
BZuppke
I'm trying to be objective here, but why is the press so myopic? They talk about MSU moving west would have given us more competitive balance between the divisions as if things are so static. I hope I'm not just wishful thinking, but other than scUM and tOSU, 10 years from now Wisky, MSU, Iowa and Nebraska (maybe) could be bottom feeders and Illinois could be as solid as Wisky. IMHO, only scUM and tOSU are almost certain to remain strong and only IU is almost certain to never reach a BTT. With the right coach, any of the others can reach near the top or be near the bottom, just as the power shifted from East to West in the SEC.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:13 AM   #71
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
I'm trying to be objective here, but why is the press so myopic? They talk about MSU moving west would have given us more competitive balance between the divisions as if things are so static. I hope I'm not just wishful thinking, but other than scUM and tOSU, 10 years from now Wisky, MSU, Iowa and Nebraska (maybe) could be bottom feeders and Illinois could be as solid as Wisky. IMHO, only scUM and tOSU are almost certain to remain strong and only IU is almost certain to never reach a BTT. With the right coach, any of the others can reach near the top or be near the bottom, just as the power shifted from East to West in the SEC.
It looks unbalanced, because Iowa is down now. If they follow their roller coaster trajectory they've been on the past decade, they'll be on the upswing in the next few seasons (due to good recruiting during their Orange Bowl run) and then in a few years down because of the bad recruiting now.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:18 AM   #72
GilThorpe
it doesnt matter that much , imo, as the B1G isnt staying at 14 for long and we will likely never see the 9 game scheudle they are talking about. if we do expand further east , things will change again.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:18 AM   #73
Murphys Pub
Mike Thomas deserves a raise if that's how the divisions end up. That is much more favorable for Illinois than what was previously being proposed.
Murphys Pub is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:25 AM   #74
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Divisions debate down to Indiana, Purdue

One team needs to move West, and speculation has centered on three schools: Purdue, Indiana and Michigan State. But Michigan State isn't in play to move West, sources say, and the debate now is whether Indiana or Purdue enters the "West" division..

Barring a change in the discussions, Indiana-Purdue will be the only protected crossover, as the Big Ten wants to create as much flexibility as possible with its schedules.

Rittenberg
Indiana to the West-

Purdue to the West-

Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:29 AM   #75
troyk
Banned
Big Ten West = Big 12 North
troyk is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »