Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 79, Purdue 59 POSTGAME

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:16 PM   #126
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan1030 View Post
For a lot of people on this board, it seems it's a horrible shot only when he misses. I don't see anyone complaining when he's hitting those exact same shots against Gonzaga.
Because he had good looks for those shots. I'm not one of those disinterested fans that just sees the stats and complains; I'm not complaining about Paul because he's missing. I'm complaining about Paul because the shots he's missing shouldn't be taken in the first place.

trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:16 PM   #127
solbur2
Banned
Quote:
And a lot of people seem to disregard all the attention he draws when he comes into the paint. There were several instances tonight where he drove it and kicked it to a wide open Egwu or McLaurin, who were too stunned with how open they were to know what to do with the ball
+10000000
solbur2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:17 PM   #128
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by solbur2 View Post
So your saying you think this team would have a better record without Brandon Paul? That's outrageous!
Is it?
HsvIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:17 PM   #129
MastFan1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
Is it?
Yes. Next question.
MastFan1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:17 PM   #130
Dan
Admin

Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:18 PM   #131
trevdv
Quote:
Is it?
I don't know about a better record, but our basketball IQ and our decision-making might definitely be higher than it is right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about winning by twenty.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:18 PM   #132
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander58 View Post
Absolutely. Paul makes some mistakes, but he makes this team better.
If his shots are going in he does...otherwise he's a negative because of his poor shot selection, carelessness with the ball, and mental mistakes on D. When he makes shots he is much more active on D and can even be a disruptive force on that side of the ball. It just seems that everyone on this team is buying in and getting on the same page except BP. I hope he comes around like DJ and Griffey have...if he does we have a chance to be really good.
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:18 PM   #133
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastFan1 View Post
Yes. Next question.
Why? Waiting for answer.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:19 PM   #134
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
If his shots are going in he does...otherwise he's a negative because of his poor shot selection, carelessness with the ball, and mental mistakes on D. When he makes shots he is much more active on D and can even be a disruptive force on that side of the ball.
Thank you! Couldn't have said it better myself. +100000

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:19 PM   #135
HsvIllini
Quote:
So your saying you think this team would have a better record without Brandon Paul? That's outrageous!
I would respect your opinion more if you knew the difference between your and you're
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:19 PM   #136
solbur2
Banned
Quote:
Is it?
Woulda lost to Gonzaga, Hawaii, Indiana, possibly butler and gardner webb without him. and even the msu game we still woulda lost because he gave us 13 points and shot 50% from the field in that game.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:19 PM   #137
stevo99
Quote:
Is it?

Of course it is.

Brandon was one of the 5 best players in the country thru Christmas. How quickly some forget.
stevo99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:19 PM   #138
cosmicpowers
The thing about BP being "down" is - if he goes for 30 one night AND the surrounding play is like tonight = woah nellie!

I'll be in 214 Sunday! 2 bros and friends in 211! Unfortunately, I have a nice and a nephew who are students at NU, oh well
cosmicpowers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:21 PM   #139
Frankie Williams
They have the talent physically but now they have increased there mental play and focus. Offense looks so much smoother now and the defense is stepping up.
Really excited for the rest of the season...
Frankie Williams is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:21 PM   #140
My2Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Were those closeups of DJs new shoes a callback from the Journey episode?
My2Cents is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:21 PM   #141
Dan
Admin
RT @IlliniHoops Three in a row! #Illini #B1G #Winning http://pic.twitter.com/gFNFF92B

Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:22 PM   #142
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
I asked for a beatdown and I got beatdown. **** you, Painter.

If you don't feel great for Tyler Griffey, you got a cold, cold heart. The threes weren't falling but that kid just kept competing and still had a big impact despite the cold shooting.

This was an archetypal “team win." So many guys impacting the game and at times our offense looked like a legitimate offense where all 5 guys were on the same page, cutting and moving and passing with purpose as one cohesive unit. And again our defense and rebounding was miles ahead of where it was at the beginning of league play.

Just a great win. Beat the Nerds and we are in. Such a huge game. I fear it's a trap game, and I still fear the team will fall back into old habits because we've had some recent success. Hopefully the light stays on and these seniors remember they cannot let up if they want to go out dancing. I believe in John Groce. He'll get us the 3 wins we need one way or another. Man, it feels good to have hope and pride again. Credit to the players for not succumbing to failure. It would have been so easy to accept that things just weren't going to work out for them. To be where we are now after such a tough stretch is pretty amazing.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:23 PM   #143
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
I don't know about a better record, but our basketball IQ and our decision-making might definitely be higher than it is right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about winning by twenty.
Exactly!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:23 PM   #144
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo99 View Post
Of course it is.

Brandon was one of the 5 best players in the country thru Christmas. How quickly some forget.
With how DJ has been looking, I would love to know what he would have been doing if he took as many shots as BP earlier in the year
ChiCityHoops34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:24 PM   #145
jrichisamazing
Team effort tonight. I think the seniors are realizing that this is their last chance to do anything special, and they're playing on another level because of it. If we get this kind of play out of the seniors for the rest of the year, we could beat anyone.

Henry also showed the most amount of energy I've ever seen him play with. When Griffey and Henry are contributing, this team is awesome to watch. With McLaurin, Griffey, and Henry at the 4 Groce can have just about any type of matchup he wants.
jrichisamazing is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:25 PM   #146
solbur2
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityHoops34 View Post
With how DJ has been looking, I would love to know what he would have been doing if he took as many shots as BP earlier in the year
Half the reason DJ gets shots is because the attention BP draws. dj can't create his own shot.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:26 PM   #147
MastFan1
Quote:
I would respect your opinion more if you knew the difference between your and you're
At least he can remember further than a month in the past.

Brandon carried this team through the first half of the non-con. Quit throwing the team's most talented player under the bus.
MastFan1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:26 PM   #148
BoolahBoolah
Hester kills me every time with that "Hu HOOOOOOOO" call.
BoolahBoolah is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:27 PM   #149
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Honestly, people need to give it a rest with BP. I've said this several times and will continue to say it. I think he played hard today, but wasn't able to get into any sort of flow because of a bunch of ticky tack fouls being called on him.
BP is an important player on this team, but he's played quite poorly the majority of the B1G schedule and really the majority of games since Mizzou. Here are his stats for the 14 games since Dec. 22:

62-175 FGs (35.4%)
23-85 FGs (27.1%)
29 assists
44 TOs
Poor overall D according to JG in that stretch until playing better vs. MN

If he could get out of his extended tailspin and play better ball, imagine how much better our team would be. Hopefully the light goes on.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:27 PM   #150
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Half the reason DJ gets shots is because the attention BP draws. dj can't create his own shot.
So what about the shots DJ has been hitting with BP on the bench?
ChiCityHoops34 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »