Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

News & Notes - February 14th

Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:25 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Act III

Yes, it was just 12-13 Purdue. But it was also #1 Indiana. For the first time in what seems like forever, we seem to be improving in February. This could be a five game winning streak soon, with an Illini team right on the edge of being ranked again, heading to Michigan with a boatload of confidence.

The tournament seems probable now, which is really a great accomplishment for this team. I would have never guessed that one week ago. This senior-laden team, on a bit of a roll, heading to the NCAA Tournament. Can't wait to see what Act IV has in store.

http://alioneye.com/2013/02/13/act-iii/
Quote:
Illinois still locked in, downs Boilermakers

"We've had a heck of a stretch, but we're in a rhythm now and I'm happy for them," Groce said. "We believed we could keep getting better as the season wore on. That was the whole goal. You want to play your best basketball in February and March.

"We still have room for improvement but we're on that path for sure."

Tupper
Quote:
Illini take care of Purdue with a 79-59 victory

"Our group is pretty resilient," Illinois coach John Groce said. "A lot of people counted them out at one point.

"As a coach, you want to find way to keep getting better and play your best basketball in February and March. We're on that path for sure."

Supinie
Quote:
Illinois 79, Purdue 59: Sam's the man

"He was active, he's so good defensively," Groce said. "The stat sheet doesn't even come close to telling the story. He makes winning plays; Sam's a winner."

"Defense on (A.J.) Hammonds (10 points), keeping balls alive, offensive boards, going (to the glass) every time, some of the little things Sam does to help our team," Tyler Griffey said.

Marcus Jackson
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:29 AM   #2
illini ri0t
Who knows, if we do make it to 7-7; maybe we have a shot at beating Michigan in AA.

Gotta wonder if those guys are looking themselves in the mirror right now after getting throttled at the Bres.

Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:40 AM   #3
BZuppke
Reminds me of Henson's heyday. Seemed like we'd falter early to mid B1G season and then turn it on and roar into the tournament. This is a big reason Henson won so few BTT but always had a top 16 seed in the tourney. I have to credit the coaching a lot because I think what we're seeing is the guys finally understanding their roles and how to make Groce's system work. We're forcing teams to guard the perimeter and then either nailing a three or getting a layup on the pick and roll. The aggressive rebounding was key (Henson loved it).
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Boiler Over

A streak ends, a streak begins. After trying for four years, the once-ballyhooed Class of 2009 finally beat Purdue.

It wasn't hard. Purdue stinks like the fruit of a rotting Keady Tree.

Rob McColley
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:07 PM   #5
WinOrElse
It sure is nice to see our kids with big smiles on their faces.
WinOrElse is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:12 PM   #6
chiefini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinOrElse View Post
It sure is nice to see our kids with big smiles on their faces.
+!,000. They look like they're having fun again.

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Agent Orange03
Greetings Illini Nation!

Just joining the party!

Beat the Cats!
Agent Orange03 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:21 PM   #8
IlliniApple81
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini ri0t View Post
Who knows, if we do make it to 7-7; maybe we have a shot at beating Michigan in AA.

Gotta wonder if those guys are looking themselves in the mirror right now after getting throttled at the Bres.
I don't want to even think about Michigan right now. The only thing on my mind is destroying the cats! Take care of business and you can play loose at AA because it really won't matter that much.
IlliniApple81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:16 AM   #9
CaliforniaIllini
Anyone see Griffey yell "F***" after he picked up a foul? It got a chuckle out of me.
CaliforniaIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:30 AM   #10
RecLeagueHero
Banned
"It wasn't hard. Purdue stinks like the fruit of a rotting Keady Tree."

That made me laugh.
RecLeagueHero is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:37 AM   #11
illini ri0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniApple81 View Post
I don't want to even think about Michigan right now. The only thing on my mind is destroying the cats! Take care of business and you can play loose at AA because it really won't matter that much.

I know how ya feel, brotha!

Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:49 PM   #12
WinOrElse
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaIllini View Post
Anyone see Griffey yell "F***" after he picked up a foul? It got a chuckle out of me.
I saw that, too. He's been pretty intense lately.
WinOrElse is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »