Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois at Northwestern, Sunday, February 17th, 6:30pm CT, BTN

Closed Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:50 PM   #76
U of I 89-05-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRon View Post
Used to live 6 blocks from Welsh Ryan arena and walked to the games. Most conference teams have so many fans in Chicago area they outnumbered the NU fans, even though NU fans have the better seats as season ticket holders. Tough place for Wildcats to play home games, that's for sure.

My favorite game was during the Kruger or Self era, when we almost held Northwestern scoreless for the entire first half. They must have had 6 or 8 points at halftime and it was awesome, nearly a shutout at half time.

I feel good about this one as well.

Illini 64
NU 51
:laugh: So true about NU home games vs. B1G opponents. I was watching the UM at NU game earlier this year, and it was about a 50/50 crowd. However, I will say that we always have the most fans of any team hands down (naturally).
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:18 PM   #77
joekam
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
NU has nosebleeds?
Not of football stadium proportions, but if you triple letters on your ticket, you might as well stay at home is what I've been told. Something to do with the way the HS like gym is set up and bad views from the last section.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:18 PM   #78
kuhl84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Revenge Tour 2013
+1
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:19 PM   #79
joekam
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
Watching Northwestern play last night, it looked like they deliberately tried to avoid fast breaks, so I think going hard after offensive rebounds is a great game plan in this one.
Joe B, Griff, and Sam can just pick up from where they left off last game.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:20 PM   #80
joekam
Quote:
Good question, regardless Buff Joe's is the shiznit. It will be worth it just to go for the wings.
I feel like the wings aren't as good as they use to be. Could be just me getting old(er) depending on the average age of this board.

I guess I'll just give them a ring and pose as a NU fan and find out.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:24 PM   #81
Illini B-Ball Fan
Illini: 88
Kittens: 49

Go Illini!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:08 PM   #82
VTIllini
Quote:

You are E V I L . . . but on target--with the Crean tagline, as well.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:40 PM   #83
UIUC1867

Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:45 PM   #84
IlliniRon
Illini Basketball Fan Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLoyalty View Post
I was also at that game Ron. Great game. Feb. 19, 2000. We started the game on a 23-0 run! Northwestern didn't score until 4:47 remained in the first half. It was 30-6 at halftime.
Thanks for locating that one for me, since I was having trouble placing the year. But I remember yelling for a shutout so much I almost lost my voice by halftime. That would have been something, but I think Hardy was fouled and shot some free throws to break it up. Kind of like a no hitter, that first half of the game.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:49 PM   #85
IlliniRon
Illini Basketball Fan Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by U of I 89-05-10 View Post
:laugh: So true about NU home games vs. B1G opponents. I was watching the UM at NU game earlier this year, and it was about a 50/50 crowd. However, I will say that we always have the most fans of any team hands down (naturally).
Yes, I think we do the best job packing them in, but it is pretty similar for MSU, Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue and Wisconsin. Probably the only team in the BIG that has such a hostile home court disadvantage, especially compared to the non-conference season.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:50 PM   #86
OrangeAndBlue217
Banned
Wasnt there a game against Northwester a few years ago where we were almost up 50 at one point? Or something close to it?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:13 PM   #87
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
Wasnt there a game against Northwester a few years ago where we were almost up 50 at one point? Or something close to it?
We were up something like 40-11 over NW in a home game a couple of years ago when MT and MD were SRs.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:49 AM   #88
Bring The Paign
Banned
I don't think that I'm alone when I say that the last time we played the Kittens, my head almost exploded. With that said, I really...and I mean REALLY...hope we go out and just kick their heads in. I'm talking being up 30 and still playing tight man-to-man defense, and droppin' 3 balls like we are losing.

ILLINI-79
PUSSYCATS - 51

BEAT NORTHWESTERN!

GO ILLINI!!!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:16 AM   #89
rdk573
Banned
After seeing NW wipe the floor with us during the first game and the way they played OSU on the road tough, I have a feeling this game will be a war...a nail biter that won't be settled until the final shot...I say we win...57-56...

.....but if we lose, this board will go in full melt-down mode...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:50 AM   #90
Moneybreaks
Quote:
Good question, regardless Buff Joe's is the shiznit. It will be worth it just to go for the wings.
Buf Joe's wings have really fallen off these last few years though the sauce remains epic. If you want wings and the game I would go to Buffalo Wild Wings on maple. Lots of TVs and plenty wings. Never too crowded.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:07 AM   #91
chiefcub69
Banned
72-54 Illinois. We kill em on the offensive glass, we should be crashing 4 to the boards on the offensive end.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:22 AM   #92
Psycho 86
King Monkey Nut
One game at a time. Stay focused and give em hell boys !! GO ILLINI !!

Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:12 AM   #93
dgcrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdk573 View Post
After seeing NW wipe the floor with us during the first game and the way they played OSU on the road tough, I have a feeling this game will be a war...a nail biter that won't be settled until the final shot...I say we win...57-56...

Agreed. I think the game will be close. It's almost a "must win" for the illini's NCAA tournament resume.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:53 AM   #94
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
FYI we're back up to #33 in KenPom's rankings. Our low point was #60 after the Northwestern debacle at home, high point to date was #25 after the win at Gonzaga. We started the season at #54.

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:58 AM   #95
tprince34
Does any1 know what the Illinois team hotel is for the big ten tourney? I'm staying at the Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel would like for my son to see the team in person besides at the game last year was in the same hotel with Wisc blah blah blah hated it
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:14 PM   #96
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Game 27 Notes & Links: Illinois at Northwestern

TV: Eric Collins, PBP & Mike Kelley, analyst

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...021513aad.html
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:43 PM   #97
Alfonz24
They have done it Tess!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdk573 View Post

The usual drama queens will be jumping back off the bandwagon if a NW loss was to happen.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:27 PM   #98
UIUC1867
Quote:
Quote:
Game 27 Notes & Links: Illinois at Northwestern

TV: Eric Collins, PBP & Mike Kelley, analyst
We're 0-3 in B1G when he's called our games.

Time to break the "Curse of the Collins".

Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:21 PM   #99
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneybreaks View Post
Buf Joe's wings have really fallen off these last few years though the sauce remains epic. If you want wings and the game I would go to Buffalo Wild Wings on maple. Lots of TVs and plenty wings. Never too crowded.
Interesting, I have not noticed it. I have have been going there for like 10 years. I have not got any individual orders in a long time though.

Last few times have picked up party pans and like 4 of us absolutely demolished 30+ wings.

Let's crush NW tomorrow.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:18 PM   #100
BZuppke
Revenge is such a strong word. How about Redemption Tour 2013.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »