Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 62, Northwestern 41 POSTGAME

Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:05 PM   #76
blmillini
It is great to beatdown NW tonight but I'm so sure it was a great game. We played well on defense and played pretty well all around the 25 minutes.

The first 15 minutes were far from a thing of beauty. We had to have missed 6-8 layups in that first 15 minutes. We actually started off very well but then went into at least a 10 minute funk. That was also the period where Paul chucked a couple from at least 25 feet and had his silly turnovers.

It was great to get the win and we are certainly playing much, much better than we were several weeks ago but there was considerable room for improvement tonight as well. Sorry, just adding a dose of reality.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:05 PM   #77
ivwilsoniv
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo99 View Post
Very proud of BP3.

Starting to find his niche with the way we want to play now. We can make the elite eight with a good draw, fellas!!
I can hear the sound of the Kool-Aid making its way to your stomach! *Glug* *Glug*

I think that Elite 8 is a little bit of a stretch still at this point. Let's be realistic - two wins in the BTT would be outstanding. Two more wins in the NCAA tourney would be fantastic.

Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:06 PM   #78
lstewart53x3
What's cool about this game is that we really didn't shoot all that well, yet we still crushed them, mostly on the defensive end. If we're locked in on D, we can beat any team in the country, period.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:10 PM   #79
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivwilsoniv View Post
I can hear the sound of the Kool-Aid making its way to your stomach! *Glug* *Glug*

I think that Elite 8 is a little bit of a stretch still at this point. Let's be realistic - two wins in the BTT would be outstanding. Two more wins in the NCAA tourney would be fantastic.

The elite eight is the top end of our potential with a good draw.

I don't think many would disagree with me.
stevo99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:10 PM   #80
Illini70math
9 Observations from the Game at Northwestern:

1. I don't care what you say, it was a beeeeeyoooootiful game!!! I won't try to say that Northwestern played well, they didn't. Yeah, they had too many players out to compete with the Illini, but there will be no sympathy from this corner. Suck it up, Kitty Kats! Who is Chicago's B1G team now!

2. While Northwestern didn't have a great team on the court, the Illini did play excellent defense for most of the game. The crushing 26-0 run from late in the first half to almost halfway into the second half was as much great UI defense as weak NW offense.

3. Tracy Abrams started on the bench, but he was a monster when he got into the game. He was the key to our 29-15 lead at the half. He had 3 of our 9 turnovers, but that was offset by his 4 assists and good shooting. He put us in control of the game.

4. DJ was spectacular again. His 18 points and 8 rebounds along with great defense make him a huge plus. Our communication on defense was great, and DJ was a big part of that.

5. Brandon had a nice game in spite of not scoring a lot. His 5 assists to 2 turnovers plus a block and a steal were important contributions on a night when he didn't force attempts to score and make his "average". Kudos to Brandon on being a true team player.

6. Another guy who kept his head up was Tyler. His outside shot wasn't dropping but he went inside for his 7 points while getting 4 offensive rebounds and 5 overall -- and he added 2 assists with no turnovers and a steal while staying active on defense.

7. Maybe it just seemed that way to me, but the rims seemed very tight in that game. We missed lots of lay-ups, which was bothersome, but we also struggled with free throws, usually one of our strengths. Another negative was the foul situation, including Nnanna in particular, although Joe had issues too.

8. OK, all you naysayers, Ibby is shooting 100% from the field!!! OK, it's one for one, but still... We are in sixth place! It will be tough to stay there, but at least we are in the mix. We are also within sight of .500 in the B1G, which seemed a nearly impossible goal about four games ago.

9. At this point I would put our chances for an NCAA berth at about 99% given our schedule, and that would be a great accomplishment for this team and the staff in a season where we put in a brand new offense and defense while playing in the toughest conference in the country. That said, our work is not done. The next step is to get to 20 wins against PSU at our place!

Go Illini!
Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:10 PM   #81
schnaurt
Koolaid, Yes Please, but this team could be very good, honestly. Tyler going to the rim on EVERY play tonight shows you what this man is doing with these young, astute minds. I just hope they keep playing bball but i do not think that is a worry anymore. WOW, I am blown away.
schnaurt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:11 PM   #82
chiefini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
RT @EdIllini Here are the @Illini_OKrush after the game at NU http://pic.twitter.com/1VpFqxCV

Great job, Krush. On tv it was obvious you were loud and proud

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:11 PM   #83
JSpence
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivwilsoniv View Post

I would be absolutely thrilled with this result.

Next year is gonna be pretty tough - I'd love some tourney wins to tide me over.
JSpence is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:12 PM   #84
Dan
Admin
RT @IlliniHoops Coach Groce signing autographs and posing for photos with young #Illini fans after the win in Evanston. http://pic.twitter.com/lKTN3YAV

Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:12 PM   #85
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
What's cool about this game is that we really didn't shoot all that well, yet we still crushed them, mostly on the defensive end. If we're locked in on D, we can beat any team in the country, period.

It's great isn't it?!

2 games in a row where we really haven't made a ton of shots, but the toughness defensively have carried us through. Of course, we have to make shots against upper echelon teams.....but we've done it before.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:14 PM   #86
schnaurt
Quote:
RT @IlliniHoops Coach Groce signing autographs and posing for photos with young #Illini fans after the win in Evanston. http://pic.twitter.com/lKTN3YAV

He just GETS It!

Very good night to be an Illini fan.
schnaurt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:15 PM   #87
chiefini
Quote:
RT @wischlist These are the faces of men who just want the Orange Krush to go home. #illini #wildcats http://via.me/-9t7buwc
LOL :laugh: Great job, Krush

I know, too many emoticons. Sorry, this kind of beatdown is just so much fun...

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:16 PM   #88
Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
So if Iowa, Minny, and Illinois are tied for 6th how does the tie breaker work?
The tie-breaker only comes into play for seeding in the Big Ten Tournament, and in a multi-team tie, it's determined by who has the best winning % in games played within the tie. It would depend on who wins the game at Iowa. Winner would get the first available seed and the loser would get the third. Minny would get the second.

Last edited by Nigel; Feb 17, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Nigel is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:17 PM   #89
Warriors1994
Anybody have a video of the orange Krush revealing themselves? or of the tv timeout participants?
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:18 PM   #90
lstewart53x3
Quote:
It's great isn't it?!

2 games in a row where we really haven't made a ton of shots, but the toughness defensively have carried us through. Of course, we have to make shots against upper echelon teams.....but we've done it before.
Yeah, how many times in the last 6 years have we beat two B1G teams by 20 in back to back games?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:19 PM   #91
JSpence
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...rankings/top25

Not ranked in the top-25-and-one. VERY good news. Keep that number away!
JSpence is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:20 PM   #92
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpence View Post

Lol there is no curse of top 25 ranking.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:20 PM   #93
orangeroses07
BEAT PENN STATE

Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:21 PM   #94
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
No chance. Too many teams ahead of us and almost all the teams at the bottom of the rankings won their games this week. The only 2 I see potentially falling out are Kentucky and ND. That's not enough.
Just looked at the other teams between IL and the top 25. Many of them lost a game this week as well. It is possible they do move up. (I didn't check the teams behind IL.)

Minnesota 80, Wisconsin W Iowa L
Missouri 69, Miss St W Ark L
Cincinnati 68, Nova W GTown L
Saint Mary's 62, Gonzo L Marymount W
Creighton 56, N Iowa L Evansville W
San Diego State 53, CSU L UNLV L
Louisiana Tech 43, Seattle W Idaho W
Virginia Commonwealth 35, U Mass W GW W
Saint Louis 34, Charlotte W
Illinois 26, Pur W NU W
wpr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:21 PM   #95
smallrock98
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpence View Post

that's fine and all but why is Minnesota in there?
smallrock98 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:23 PM   #96
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeroses07 View Post
BEAT PENN STATE

It won't be easy.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:23 PM   #97
Illini2016
Guys, I am so happy about what went on tonight. We got a blowout win and took over Welsh-Ryan. Actions speak louder than words, and we proved that we are above them in talent and fans tonight.

We are Chicago's team, and we're taking the rest of the state with us.

Class of 2016
Illini2016 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:24 PM   #98
orangeroses07
Quote:
It won't be easy.
I'm worried we'll be looking ahead to UM on Sunday. Penn State always plays us tough too.

Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:25 PM   #99
Dan
Admin

Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:25 PM   #100
chiefini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini2016 View Post
Guys, I am so happy about what went on tonight. We got a blowout win and took over Welsh-Ryan. Actions speak louder than words, and we proved that we are above them in talent and fans tonight.

We are Chicago's team, and we're taking the rest of the state with us.

Great job

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »