Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Video: Illinois Basketball TNT Series

Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:37 PM   #51
KBLEE
I think they need to rename this part of the series from TNT to ANA (Apathy and Agony).
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:00 PM   #52
Illinigirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
Wow, I had forgotten about that. That was ugly.

But you know, watching that video, you can tell how bad the guy was hurting at the time. I know it's not a popular thing to say around here, but I kind of feel bad for him.

Still, none of that should ever be said.

The new video by IP was just awesome though. I'm loving everything we're doing right now.
Agree, that was ugly & depressing. Don't know how the players even showed up on the court after that.

At first, I thought I felt bad for him, but after thinking some more, I don't. They were kids he was supposed to be leading, not throwing them under the bus. I feel bad for the players.
Illinigirl is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:03 PM   #53
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan31 View Post
At like 5:30 was there some drill where they were wearing shoulder pads?
Tom Izzo has had MSU doing this for years...usually during rebounding and loose ball drills to encourage throwing yourself into contact and not shying away from it in such situations. It works, if guys can remember at gametime that they don't have on shoulder pads.
Hugh Jorgen is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:14 PM   #54
CharlesLawrence
Banned
Coach JG... I don't know how people won't want to play for that man.
CharlesLawrence is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:36 PM   #55
Prairie Spirit
Banned
For Kramer116

Please pardon my ignorance when I say that I don't know who is responsible for these (so far) 3 videos of the Illini basketball season, but I want to say thank you! They are terrific! When you are a fan who only knows the team from watching games, watching/reading/listening to interviews and catching whatever commentary one happens to run across, this is eye opening. I have said repeatedly that I really like our new coach a lot and these videos demonstrate his style and personality very well and I'm so glad he is our coach. But even beyond that, the videos show the team and some glimpses of their personalities and it's really delightful to "get to know them" in this way. It is so wonderful to see them smile the way they do after games when they are happy. I hope we can see that again and again. I wonder if our guys have watched these videos, perhaps as reminder and inspiration for who they are and what they can do, and HAVE done! Love these videos a lot and so, to whoever shared them and made them, thank you very much. Go Illini!
Prairie Spirit is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:54 PM   #56
Prairie Spirit
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
If there was any doubt that it was time for a new staff before that press conference, there was none after it. Even if one feels that some of his complaints had a basis, when you get paid over a million a year you are supposed to overcome adversity.

BW would have been better off to make his exit after his Round of 32 finish in 2011, but he is not the type to let go until he is pushed out. Since we would not have hired Coach Groce in 2011, things worked out better for UI by BW staying, imo. Given that BW landed on his feet with a good gig for him at KSU, things worked out all the way around.
Prefacing the point of this post by saying I became a non-fan of Bruce Weber very early on, not late in his time at Illinois. My dislike of him was not the result of our losing years but because of his style and personality and the way he treated most of the team, the way he acted during games, his interviews, and on and on. Outside of basketball, he presented himself as some kind of saintly self-effacing do-gooder and I am suspicous of that kind of personality because usually - and I believe it was true in his case - it's usually about advancing themselves and manipulating others through unctuousness. He gets credit for a team's accomplishment beyond what I think he deserved, the early days. Overall, I think he did a lot of harm to a number of young men's confidence, careers and dreams, and he was a Serious Crusher of the Joy of Basketball. I could go on - and have at times - but at this stage in my Illinois Men's Basketball Fanhood, all I have to say is: I love John Groce and am so glad he was hired. Yes, it's tough when we lose and I want us to win, but he is right for us and is a true and righteous coach and TEACHER of young men and not a phony "aw shucks" narcissist. We can be BOTH a clean program AND a good, well-coached program and John Groce knows how to coach and teach and influence for the better - not for his own advancement alone but for these young men's GROWTH and development. Go Illini!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:07 PM   #57
Prairie Spirit
Banned
The thing about Weber is that you shouldn't have been in the position he created, the one in which you feel for HIM. That is what he did to the team and to all of us - it was all about him - and he proved quite willing to do harm to young men's spirits in his effort to protect his own standing. The press conference that got the attention of so many was but one example, albeit probably the worst. However, I think another really awful example was when he had his whole family AND the team stand around him at the end. Lots of college coaches get fired or moved around but Weber made it a NATIONAL issue strictly to advance HIMSELF but at the great expense of the University of Illinois, our team and the media. Still this year we too often hear media commentators draw us back into the Weber debacle and his firing. WCIA/TV Channel 3 recently even ran an extended interview and profile on who? BRUCE WEBER!! God Almighty. Go away! We have a better, happier, more inspiring and more delightful coach and team situation this year. Why do we have to keep revisiting Bruce Weber? What is it that people are so in love with about that guy? I don't get it and am glad he's gone and wish he wouldn't keep being thrust back into our consciousness. I dislike Channel 3 anyway, but that Weber bit really sealed it for me. It wasn't Weber who brought us the joy of that first year he came here; it was the TEAM. Yet one would think everything is all about Weber - because that's what personalities like his force. And if anybody still believes that Izzo was speaking out for Weber because Izzo loves Bruce Weber so much, just stop and think for a minute. Illinois and MSU were recruiting hard for the same players and Izzo saw a fine opportunity to influence recruiting in a way that was "NCAA legal" and, man, did he ever use it. I think the NCAA should prohibit other coaches from speaking publickly about any internal personnel matters of other schools; it was unethical - but Weber sure did use it for more of his self-advancement. Glad he's gone; wish he would go away.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:14 PM   #58
Prairie Spirit
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
If there was any doubt that it was time for a new staff before that press conference, there was none after it. Even if one feels that some of his complaints had a basis, when you get paid over a million a year you are supposed to overcome adversity.

BW would have been better off to make his exit after his Round of 32 finish in 2011, but he is not the type to let go until he is pushed out. Since we would not have hired Coach Groce in 2011, things worked out better for UI by BW staying, imo. Given that BW landed on his feet with a good gig for him at KSU, things worked out all the way around.
And, just like when he came to Illinois, he's going to get credit for the good performance of a team that was in place - and a bit battered from their very recent coach experience - when he arrived. He will, again, be portrayed as a Knight in Shining Armor, when - by all media accounts - the circumstances and details around his being hired there are very complex and involve their AD, their previous coach/his style, and so on. So KSU gets a breather with a good team and a coach that can "hold a place" for the short contract period and maybe he gets rehired and maybe he moves on, but he didn't get hired because he's great; he got hired because he's the antithesis of Frank Martin and the AD needed to maintain the team and regroup the program. That's an opinion only. KSU may be a good team this year, but it won't have much if anything to do with Weber.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:52 PM   #59
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Spirit View Post
Why do we have to keep revisiting Bruce Weber? Glad he's gone; wish he would go away.
BW will cease to be a topic on this board, and in Illini nation in general, at about the same time as Bill Self does. In other words, never. May as well save yourself the heartache and let it go. Nothing personal but it's (multiple) posts like yours that bring BW to the forefront time and again.
AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:20 AM   #60
FeelYourPaign
Watching that video I saw something wonderful, Griffey stroking a three that goes in !!
Lot of fun, actually. When you see that the team does the I-L-L, I-N-I cheer every single game to close it out in the locker room, makes you wonder why you don't hear that even more in the arena, doesn't it? If that is the cheer that seals it for them, and as much as I love it personally, I want to hear it more. Let's go Sunday, crowd. Lemme hear 'ya !!
I - L - L
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:23 PM   #61
Dan
Admin
Episode 4 of Toughness and Togetherness released. All 4 videos can be found at the first post of this thread.

Episode 4 of Toughness and Togetherness (TNT), a behind-the-scenes look at 2012-13 University of Illinois basketball. The fourth episode includes Illinois last second win over Indiana.

IlliniProductionsHD
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:46 PM   #62
trevdv
Well, they kinda just skipped across every one of those six losses :laugh: but can ya blame them? Another great video!

Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:50 PM   #63
chiefini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Episode 4 of Toughness and Togetherness released. All 4 videos can be found at the first post of this thread.

Episode 4 of Toughness and Togetherness (TNT), a behind-the-scenes look at 2012-13 University of Illinois basketball. The fourth episode includes Illinois last second win over Indiana.

IlliniProductionsHD
This is a wonderfully produced video of highlights which emphasizes the positive while acknowledging the negative during this crucial part of the season. I believe in Groce, and I'm excited for the future of Illinois basketball. Go Illini

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:58 PM   #64
mdonsbach
Still get that feeling watching the IU game.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:03 PM   #65
Wokker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
Still get that feeling watching the IU game.
Always will
Wokker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:09 PM   #66
lstewart53x3
There's a lot of discussion of when to rush the court and when not to rush the court.

That is the best example of the perfect time to rush the court:

1.) hated rival

2.) #1 ranked team in the country

3.) in a losing streak before the game

4.) very rough stretch of seasons prior to this season

5.) awesome comeback in the game

6.) an unexpected buzzer beater shot wins the game
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:15 PM   #67
illini8507
yea, i thought it was kinda weak when IU rushed the court after beating Michigan earlier this season. They were ranked number 3, and had been ranked 1 previously in the season. It wasnt some kind of huge deal for the team or program. Plus, they had the game in hand pretty much the whole way, it wasnt like it came down to some sort of climax at the end with a huge play to win the game... as it did against UK the year before.
illini8507 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:41 PM   #68
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini8507 View Post
yea, i thought it was kinda weak when IU rushed the court after beating Michigan earlier this season. They were ranked number 3, and had been ranked 1 previously in the season. It wasnt some kind of huge deal for the team or program. Plus, they had the game in hand pretty much the whole way, it wasnt like it came down to some sort of climax at the end with a huge play to win the game... as it did against UK the year before.
Yeah I don't mind it when people rush the court, but I think it has been used way to often this year during meaningless games.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:24 PM   #69
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
I can't get enough of these videos, actually teared up a bit when they started up the IU game. I would totally buy the whole collection of these at the end of the year.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:45 PM   #70
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
I can't get enough of these videos, actually teared up a bit when they started up the IU game. I would totally buy the whole collection of these at the end of the year.
Right towards the end, when Oladipo is just standing with the ball as the clock ticks down...20, 15, 10.... that's when I tear up. Just to see the whole crowd rise to their feet, realizing that we have a shot to win this... That's a great moment. Then what follows is even better.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:14 PM   #71
BZuppke
I think I've figured it out: It's the hair (or lack thereof). Combes, Henson and now Groce. Weber just had too much hair.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:25 PM   #72
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
I think I've figured it out: It's the hair (or lack thereof). Combes, Henson and now Groce. Weber just had too much hair.
Self? Kruger?
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:31 PM   #73
BZuppke
Forget it. I'm rolling.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:33 PM   #74
EddiesSweetJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
Loved it! Great PR by the program for the fans and the recruits.
It is kind of like "The Journey" on the BTN, except it is all Illini. I really like it. However, the first half of Part 4 was a string of losses and I hated reliving that one.

But, it does end on a very HIGH note with the defeat of #1 IU.
EddiesSweetJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:44 PM   #75
BoolahBoolah
I can't believe Brandon's first FT went in. My God, that was ugly.

And, how about Ibby absolutely trucking that fan that tries to chest bump him in the tunnel?
BoolahBoolah is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »