Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

2013 Spring Depth Chart

Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:56 PM   #26
illinidarrin
According to Robert Ale, K Nick Immekus was kicked off the team for violating team rules.
illinidarrin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:57 PM   #27
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
A few observations from the spring notes.[LIST][*]Immekus, Lattimore and Afryl are not on the spring roster
Quote:
A Lion Eye ‏@ALionEye
Bigger #Illini Football roster news: kicker Nick Immekus has been dismissed from the team for a violation of team rules.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:39 PM   #28
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
According to Robert Ale, K Nick Immekus was kicked off the team for violating team rules.
Interesting. Immekus was probably going to be our starting PK next fall, barring injury. No one can say that Beckman lacks integrity if he is enforcing team rules on starters like Millines and Immekus despite being under heavy pressure to improve NOW.

Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:45 PM   #29
Ander1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Going back and watching WMU film with Cubit he did run plays with shotgun 2 back sets. It wasn't always 2 RB's in the backfield. There were times he had a RB and TE in the backfield. TE was used to block sometimes and run routes. In fact they scored a nice TD against CMU I think with a TE circle route out of the backfield.
That is good to hear. Ive watched our game against then over and over, but they used a lot of empty sets presumably because they saw a mismatch or two... I suppose against fellow MAC teams they could have a more wide open playbook because they match up better or more evenly in the trenches.
Ander1345 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:55 PM   #30
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander1345 View Post
That is good to hear. Ive watched our game against then over and over, but they used a lot of empty sets presumably because they saw a mismatch or two... I suppose against fellow MAC teams they could have a more wide open playbook because they match up better or more evenly in the trenches.
Early in the year they ran a lot of what they did when they had Jordan White. It wasn't working. They went way more multiple as the year progressed.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:08 PM   #31
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Interesting. Immekus was probably going to be our starting PK next fall, barring injury. No one can say that Beckman lacks integrity if he is enforcing team rules on starters like Millines and Immekus despite being under heavy pressure to improve NOW.
I do think Beckman has raised the character of our team, and I feel like he cares about every kid on the team more than Zook ever did, all perception though, not much to back that up.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 03:14 PM   #32
Warriors1994
With the character things I think that is part of his vision of the future and parting of his building plan. He has to establish a culture that was not here before. Once that is in place that helps your team. Everybody is on the same page and performing
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 03:39 PM   #33
Warriors1994
Who do you guys think are going to return kicks and punts? I personally would like to see what Mosely could do. On his bio on fightingillini.com his biggest thrill is returning kicks and punts
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:33 PM   #34
ncoillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
I do think Beckman has raised the character of our team, and I feel like he cares about every kid on the team more than Zook ever did, all perception though, not much to back that up.

Might have raised character, most likely yes.

Cares for the kids more than RZ, NO. That was RZ's problem, he cared so much he over protected them. At UF and UI.
ncoillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:58 PM   #35
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoillini View Post
Cares for the kids more than RZ, NO. That was RZ's problem, he cared so much he over protected them. At UF and UI.
Agreed. You can see that this is evident even more in his "farewell" press conference; he tears up just mentioning the players he's leaving.

trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 06:39 PM   #36
Groundhogday
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoillini View Post
Might have raised character, most likely yes.

Two different kinds of caring. Beckman is the disciplinarian Dad making sure his kid does his homework and gets to bed on time. Zook was the overindulgent grandparent.

Old Mar 6, 2013, 07:39 PM   #37
Ander1345
I don't think anyone really questioned his integrity as a coach recently, just his ability. After the first couple of interviews last year he seemed much more articulate and straight forward than Zook ever was. Just from that I had a very strong feeling he would keep the players diligent and disciplined. It just has to translate to the field at some point, or we will be looking for a new coach.
Ander1345 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:06 AM   #38
SCillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
Robert recants his initial breaking of the story that Immekus was dismissed. He's now reporting that Immekus quit the team due to differences with position coach and is looking to move on to another school.

www.alioneye.com/2013/03/06/immekus-update/
SCillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:09 AM   #39
SCillini
Quote:
I'd disagree that he cares more. Zook's players loved to play for him because he did care about them, almost to a fault. Beckman may require more accountability, but I don't think many coaches care about their players more than Zook did. Too bad caring didn't equate to good coaching.
SCillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 07:57 AM   #40
illinicb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCillini View Post
Robert recants his initial breaking of the story that Immekus was dismissed. He's now reporting that Immekus quit the team due to differences with position coach and is looking to move on to another school.

www.alioneye.com/2013/03/06/immekus-update/
How can you have differences with your position coach when you are a kicker? Did he want him to kick with the other foot?

Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:03 AM   #41
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post
How can you have differences with your position coach when you are a kicker? Did he want him to kick with the other foot?
And stranger still, most players LOVE playing for Golesh. Might this have been related to what he needed to do for a scholarship?

Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:44 AM   #42
quhawks12
Quote:
And stranger still, most players LOVE playing for Golesh. Might this have been related to what he needed to do for a scholarship?
This is actually easy. Zalewski was put on scholarship. Immekus was not. Hence their differences.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:25 AM   #43
Groundhogday
Just for fun, here is a list of Jr/Sr players for next season (2013 eligibility, seniors bolded, JCs in brackets):

QB:___Scheelhaase, O’Toole
RB:___Young
WR:___Millines, Lankford, Harris, Hull, Osei, Rock, [Barr]
TE:___Wilson, Davis, LaCosse
OL:___Feldmeyer, Lewis, Heitz, Cvijanovic, Hill, [Hinkhouse]

DT:___Tietsma, Howe
DE:___Kynard, [Cajuste]
Leo:__Bates, Woods
LB:___Brown, Cooper
Star:_
S:____Thomas, [Petty]
CB:___

K:____
P:____DuVernois
  • We are missing almost two entire classes in the secondary (Star, S, CB).
  • We are short both quality and quantity in the DL upper classes.
  • Quality is lacking for the WR corps (though huge imbalance in terms of senior numbers.)
  • We have only two seniors (one a 6th year exemption) on the OL.
This is why depth was such a huge problem last year and why we will be very young at many positions this year. We should have 35+ in the JR/SR classes when we actually have 30 including 4 JC transfers, and the numbers would be even worse if not for the glut of poorly performing bodies at WR.

Last edited by Groundhogday; Mar 12, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
Groundhogday is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:41 PM   #44
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Quote:
Just for fun, here is a list of Jr/Sr players for next season (2013 eligibility, seniors bolded, JCs in brackets):

QB:___Scheelhaase, O’Toole
RB:___Young
WR:___Millines, Lankford, Harris, Hull, Osei, Rock, [Barr]
TE:___Wilson, Davis, LaCosse
OL:___Feldmeyer, Lewis, Heitz, Cvijanovic, Hill, [Hinkhouse]

DT:___Tietsma, Howe
DE:___Kynard, [Cajuste]
Leo:__Bates, Woods
LB:___Brown, Cooper
Star:_
S:____Thomas, [Petty]
CB:___

K:____
P:____DuVernois
  • We are missing almost two entire classes in the secondary (Star, S, CB).
  • We are short both quality and quantity in the DL upper classes.
  • Quality is lacking for the WR corps (though huge imbalance in terms of senior numbers.)
  • We have only two seniors (one a 6th year exemption) on the OL.
This is why depth was such a huge problem last year and why we will be very young at many positions this year. We should have 35+ in the JR/SR classes when we actually have 30 including 4 JC transfers, and the numbers would be even worse if not for the glut of poorly performing bodies at WR.
Exhibit 1 as to why it's going to be a l-o-n-g season. Beckman's made some missteps, sure, but he inherited a team with major holes.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:47 PM   #45
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Exhibit 1 as to why it's going to be a l-o-n-g season. Beckman's made some missteps, sure, but he inherited a team with major holes.
and people want to pin the reason why Butch Jones didnt want to take a flyer on our job all on MT. I think Jones may very well have known our program was full of holes.
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:01 PM   #46
tigers56
quhhawks- since it's so easy, why don't you explain the other 90 % of the reason Immekus left. I would enjoy the inside scoop. You must have intimate knowledge of the situation.
tigers56 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:45 PM   #47
CardsIllinifan8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers56 View Post
quhhawks- since it's so easy, why don't you explain the other 90 % of the reason Immekus left. I would enjoy the inside scoop. You must have intimate knowledge of the situation.
Him and a coach did not get along too well.

Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:24 PM   #48
Groundhogday
Robert at Alioneye.com has a post up on his practice observations. Among other things, here is his observed depth chart:

_LT: Cvijanovic (rs-JR), Hinkhouse (JR)
_LG: Heitz (rs-JR), Spencer (rs-FR)
__C: Hill (rs-JR), Feldmeyer (rs-SR) (what happened to Durkin?)
_RG: Karras (rs-SO), O'Connor (rs-SO)
_RT: Lewis (rs2-SR), McDowell (rs-SO)

_QB: Scheelhaase (rs-SR), O'Toole (JR)
_RB: Young (JR), Ferguson (rs-SO), Ayoola (SO)
_TE: Wilson (SR), LaCosse (JR) [Davis recovering from injury]
_WR: Lankford (SR), Harris (SR), Osei (rs-SR), Barr (rs-JR), Hardee (SO) [Millines suspended]

Leo: Bates (rs-JR), ??
_DT: Teitsma (rs-JR), Powell (SO)
_NG: Howe (rs-JR), Williams (rs-FR)
_DE: Kynard (rs-SR), Nelson (rs-SO)

_LB: Monheim (SO), Neal (rs-FR)
_LB: Svetina (SO) [Brown out with injury]
Str: Bello (rs-FR), Finney (rs-SO)

_CB: Bentley (SO), Spence (rs-SO), Mosely (FR)
__S: Barton (rs-FR), Mathis (rs-SR), [Thomas and Petty out with injury]

As Robert points out, this is almost an entirely new defense. That is rarely a good thing.

Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:44 PM   #49
OrangeAndBlue217
Banned
Going to be an interesting season. Im hoping its a decent one.
OrangeAndBlue217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:35 PM   #50
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Robert at Alioneye.com has a post up on his practice observations. Among other things, here is his observed depth chart:

_LT: Cvijanovic (rs-JR), Hinkhouse (JR)
_LG: Heitz (rs-JR), Spencer (rs-FR)
__C: Hill (rs-JR), Feldmeyer (rs-SR) (what happened to Durkin?)
_RG: Karras (rs-SO), O'Connor (rs-SO)
_RT: Lewis (rs2-SR), McDowell (rs-SO)

_QB: Scheelhaase (rs-SR), O'Toole (JR)
_RB: Young (JR), Ferguson (rs-SO), Ayoola (SO)
_TE: Wilson (SR), LaCosse (JR) [Davis recovering from injury]
_WR: Lankford (SR), Harris (SR), Osei (rs-SR), Barr (rs-JR), Hardee (SO) [Millines suspended]

Leo: Bates (rs-JR), ??
_DT: Teitsma (rs-JR), Powell (SO)
_NG: Howe (rs-JR), Williams (rs-FR)
_DE: Kynard (rs-SR), Nelson (rs-SO)

_LB: Monheim (SO), Neal (rs-FR)
_LB: Svetina (SO) [Brown out with injury]
Str: Bello (rs-FR), Finney (rs-SO)

_CB: Bentley (SO), Spence (rs-SO), Mosely (FR)
__S: Barton (rs-FR), Mathis (rs-SR), [Thomas and Petty out with injury]

As Robert points out, this is almost an entirely new defense. That is rarely a good thing.
That isnt a defense that can keep us in many games imo. We really need Cajuste, Williams and Powell to blossom or our front four are going to get steamrolled
I Hate Lemonier is online now Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »