Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Ahmad Starks hardship waiver thread

Closed Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:09 PM   #226
Griffinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
So since Starks is saying "within 10 days", a time frame like that seems to make it sound like he is awaiting an appeal.
Doesn't basketball practice begin in about ten days, two weeks? Seems like a logical drop dead date for players wanting to know their status for playing/sitting this year.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:09 PM   #227
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
1) I think any player should be allowed to transfer if they have graduated with a four year degree. Why penalize a 5th year transfer when he's done the work to be successful?

2) Give the players a choice. Transfer and sit out a year and you keep your remaining eligibility. And if you want to play right away next season, you lose a year of eligibility.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:11 PM   #228
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yost View Post
The article I read on college basketball talk made it sound like he really just believes the NCAA should get rid of the waiting period altogether.
Yes, all or nothing is the way he put it. He doesn't think the transfer process is the problem. He thinks it is a problem with how the waiver process works. He actually would prefer that no one have to sit out a year, but the "farce" end of it is how some players get denied and some get accepted. ESPN just did a good job spinning it another way.

Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:12 PM   #229
RealWorld52
Banned
1) Pay the kids a salary instead of funneling all CBB $ to the coaches, athletic departments and NCAA. The payment gives the NCAA the right to not allow transfers.
or
2) Keep the same absolutely insane system and say nothing when kids move from school to school b.c we all know they are not here for the education anyway
Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:12 PM   #230
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
1) I think any player should be allowed to transfer if they have graduated with a four year degree. Why penalize a 5th year transfer when he's done the work to be successful?

2) Give the players a choice. Transfer and sit out a year and you keep your remaining eligibility. And if you want to play right away next season, you lose a year of eligibility.
That's a fine idea and I like it (not as much as letting everyone move anytime, but I like it) but it is too sensible for the NCAA
Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:19 PM   #231
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinator View Post
Doesn't basketball practice begin in about ten days, two weeks? Seems like a logical drop dead date for players wanting to know their status for playing/sitting this year.
Well he'll be practicing either way, so that's not all that important. I'm sure the coaches would like to know, but technically it's not vital until they have to decide if he's going to play in a regular season game or not.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:29 PM   #232
pizzaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWorld52 View Post
1) Pay the kids a salary
OK, then get rid of scholarships and privileges. Make athletes be real students, pay their own tuition, room and board, tutors if they need them. See how that goes over.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:32 PM   #233
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letswinagain View Post
If the NCAA were to be consistent about this, a coach who breaks a contract to move to another school should also have to sit out a year before coaching again.
That would be a good rule too although nearly impossible logistically.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:59 PM   #234
troyk
Banned
All kids should be able to transfer once with no penalty. You lose eligibility if you transfer twice.

Make this simple. Also, kids need to have an acceptable GPA.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:26 PM   #235
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
All kids should be able to transfer once with no penalty. You lose eligibility if you transfer twice.

I like it. And then limit the number of transfers a school can except each semester to one. That would keep schools from taking advantage of other programs.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:53 PM   #236
RealWorld52
Banned
Between BTF and TroyK you may have found the best solution I have heard.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 03:03 PM   #237
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWorld52 View Post
Between BTF and TroyK you may have found the best solution I have heard.
Thanks. Of course it's too logical and makes too much sense to become a new NCAA rule.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 03:04 PM   #238
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
Quote:
Thanks. Of course it's too logical and makes too much sense to become a new NCAA rule.
Even if they did adapt it they would put 100 bylaws in front of it that no one understood which would make it impossible to do anything.

Old Sep 16, 2013, 03:55 PM   #239
NumanDruman
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
OK, then get rid of scholarships and privileges. Make athletes be real students, pay their own tuition, room and board, tutors if they need them. See how that goes over.
I agree. They already get paid.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:05 PM   #240
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:

Ultimately the goal should be (and please don't laugh) for each player to get a degree.
That thought might have a negative impact on that process.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:06 PM   #241
Clete1
The point of the rule is to prevent poaching - to protect the schools from eachother. Yet the scholarships are renewable annually. Why should the school and the NCAA be able to restrict a kid's movements for 5 years in exchange for only a single year commitment from the school? Kids with single year renewable scholarships should be able to transfer at the end of each year to wherever they want. If, on the other hand, the school gave them a four year scholarship, then some restrictions should come into play because an agreement is being broken by the athlete.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:13 PM   #242
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post

Quote:
I like it. And then limit the number of transfers a school can except each semester to one. That would keep schools from taking advantage of other programs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clete1 View Post
The point of the rule is to prevent poaching - to protect the schools from eachother. Yet the scholarships are renewable annually. Why should the school and the NCAA be able to restrict a kid's movements for 5 years in exchange for only a single year commitment from the school? Kids with single year renewable scholarships should be able to transfer at the end of each year to wherever they want. If, on the other hand, the school gave them a four year scholarship, then some restrictions should come into play because an agreement is being broken by the athlete.
We need to get a committee to formally document these suggestions in order to submit them to the NCAA, because there's no way they will ever come up with a system or policy anywhere close to this good on their own, which is a shame because it looks like it could benefit everyone involved.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:36 PM   #243
Thor015
I think one of you needs to tweet and get this in Jay Bilas's ear.

He has been on the NCAA's case for awhile now
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:11 PM   #244
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
The NCAA obviously has no interest in what Bilas has to say, no matter how much sense he makes.

Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:46 PM   #245
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
We should inform the NCAA that we've come up with a solution, we can form an Illinois Loyalty committee on transfers.

Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:10 PM   #246
chiefinillini7
I'm at work, so I don't know if this has been posted, but did anybody see The NCAA rule change on the Hardship transfer waiver?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:55 PM   #247
lakesideIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
Even if they did adapt it they would put 100 bylaws in front of it that no one understood which would make it impossible to do anything.
The NCAA wants ambiguity thru multitude of rules. Then they can decide any way they want to.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:57 PM   #248
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefinillini7 View Post
I'm at work, so I don't know if this has been posted, but did anybody see The NCAA rule change on the Hardship transfer waiver?
This was brought about by the Okoro situation. In a nutshell, student athletes will now be able to instantly transfer following the death of an immediate family member without waiting the usual one year before being eligible.

Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:02 PM   #249
Leonardite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumanDruman View Post
I agree. They already get paid.
Universities make WAY more money off of student athletes than what they pay out in those scholarships.

Notre Dame makes $15m a year in their TV deal for football. Notre Dame has 85 scholarship players.

15,000,000 / 85 = 176,480.

A Notre Dame full ride is worth around 61,000 a year (http://financialaid.nd.edu/undergrad...of_attendance/).

That's just the TV deal. You also have game attendance and memorabilia sales which is even more money these schools take in from student athletes performance.

Also, student-athletes have things like summer workouts, time away from class for games, and time spent after classes at practices meaning they have to commit more time to keep their scholarships.

So I'm almost positive student-athletes in revenue sports would be just fine getting rid of these scholarships and getting paid, because universities like ND can pay out more than they're paying in scholarships and still profit mightily. I mean, if student-athletes are worth 176,000 in just TV money, couldn't ND pay each football player around 100,000 a year? That's 40k more than they're getting in scholarship money.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:14 PM   #250
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
Universities make WAY more money off of student athletes than what they pay out in those scholarships.

Notre Dame makes $15m a year in their TV deal for football. Notre Dame has 85 scholarship players.

15,000,000 / 85 = 176,480.

A Notre Dame full ride is worth around 61,000 a year (http://financialaid.nd.edu/undergrad...of_attendance/).

That's just the TV deal. You also have game attendance and memorabilia sales which is even more money these schools take in from student athletes performance.

Also, student-athletes have things like summer workouts, time away from class for games, and time spent after classes at practices meaning they have to commit more time to keep their scholarships.

So I'm almost positive student-athletes in revenue sports would be just fine getting rid of these scholarships and getting paid, because universities like ND can pay out more than they're paying in scholarships and still profit mightily. I mean, if student-athletes are worth 176,000 in just TV money, couldn't ND pay each football player around 100,000 a year? That's 40k more than they're getting in scholarship money.
You're missing some important facts, namely that the revenues from football and basketball also foot the bills that pay for the scholarships given to track, tennis, golf, volleyball and other non-revenue sports. Very few athletic departments break even financially, much less "profit mightily".
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »