Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illini's Postseason Tournament Chances

Closed Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 05:47 PM   #251
VA Illini Chief
I have a new goal - which is so sad considering our non-conference strengths. Just finish ahead of Indiana in the BIG. That's all. They are all complete, full-tilt, meltdown mode over on Indiana forums and have been a disaster. We can't finish worse in the standings then that. Let's go Illini! Win a few and make the BIG 10 tourney interesting...maybe even beat Indiana again to make things fun for us.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 05:57 AM   #252
1945Cubs
Quote:
Originally Posted by champaignchris View Post
Regardless of who they are against and when they come (regular season or BTT), I think...

3 wins gets us the CBI
4 wins gets us the NIT
5 wins gets us the NCAA (19 wins against a top 30 SOS probably earns a bid)

I don't think there is a great or even good possibility for any of the above. I think the best case scenario at this point is to beat Nebraska at home and then win our first BTT game (maybe against Nebraska again), ending our season 16-17 overall.
Updated following the Minnesota road victory:

0 wins: CBI at 15-17 (Going 0-5 rest of the way)
2 wins: NIT at 17-16 (1-3 Reg Season; 1-1 in BTT)
4 wins: NCAA at 19-15 /19-14 (2-2 Reg Season; 2-1 BTT) OR (3-1 Reg Season; 1-1 BTT)
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:02 AM   #253
Rob07
http://btn.com/2014/02/21/big-ten-ge...s-in-the-barn/

Quote:
Illinois now has an outside chance at an NIT bid. Easy Bubble Solver slots the Illini ahead of the other conference NIT hopefuls – Indiana is another nine spots down, then Penn State is next, another 20 spots after that. Illinois probably needs to win two of its last four to get into decent NIT position, but that would be a nice landing spot for a team that is relying more and more on its freshmen.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:17 PM   #254
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1945Cubs View Post
Updated following the Minnesota road victory:

0 wins: CBI at 15-17 (Going 0-5 rest of the way)
2 wins: NIT at 17-16 (1-3 Reg Season; 1-1 in BTT)
4 wins: NCAA at 19-15 /19-14 (2-2 Reg Season; 2-1 BTT) OR (3-1 Reg Season; 1-1 BTT)
We won't make the NCAA tournament unless we win all 4 of our remaining regular season games.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 05:53 AM   #255
haasi
What do we all think now? We're guaranteed no worse than 500, so NIT may be in play, though if we were to close by losing 4 in a row don't think we'd be attractive to the NIT selectors. I'd think CBI at this point is close to a lock.

Still holding on to tiniest sliver of hope at a miracle run to the NCAA. We are playing better the last couple of games, but would still take a miracle. We'd have a very difficult route to get there either via reg season or BTT. Many very difficult opponents we'd have to beat.

If we play CBI, any idea where we'd play our home games? (Huff?)
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:46 AM   #256
midastouch11
Was anybody aware that the championship of the CBI is a three game series?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:56 AM   #257
haasi
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
Was anybody aware that the championship of the CBI is a three game series?
Yes. Pretty cool, actually.

Still very much hoping for NIT or better, but if our season ends with a win in the CBI championship, I'll be satisfied at this point. Would be disappointing not to get home games, but OTOH the more neutral court games the better experience for our players I guess.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:57 AM   #258
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by haasi View Post
NIT or CBI, Illinois would play on the road.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:07 AM   #259
haasi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
NIT or CBI, Illinois would play on the road.
So if, e.g., a three game series for the CBI championship, all three games would be at our opponent?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:16 AM   #260
blmillini
Quote:
What do we all think now? We're guaranteed no worse than 500, so NIT may be in play, though if we were to close by losing 4 in a row don't think we'd be attractive to the NIT selectors. I'd think CBI at this point is close to a lock.

Still holding on to tiniest sliver of hope at a miracle run to the NCAA. We are playing better the last couple of games, but would still take a miracle. We'd have a very difficult route to get there either via reg season or BTT. Many very difficult opponents we'd have to beat.

Normally with a .500 record I would say we were a lock for the NIT. However, there is a pretty fair chance the Big 10 will have fewer teams in the NCAA tournament this year and more than normal considered for the NIT. I worry that if we only get 5 teams into the NCAA tournament, we will be battling 6 other Big 10 teams for NIT invitations and I don't think the NIT would give that many. Knowing absolutely nothing, but being willing to guess, I would bet that we might get 4 invitations to the NIT so we just need to be in the top 4 after NCAA tournament teams.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:25 AM   #261
haasi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
Normally with a .500 record I would say we were a lock for the NIT. However, there is a pretty fair chance the Big 10 will have fewer teams in the NCAA tournament this year and more than normal considered for the NIT. I worry that if we only get 5 teams into the NCAA tournament, we will be battling 6 other Big 10 teams for NIT invitations and I don't think the NIT would give that many. Knowing absolutely nothing, but being willing to guess, I would bet that we might get 4 invitations to the NIT so we just need to be in the top 4 after NCAA tournament teams.
Makes sense. Our lack of a home court won't help our cause. By your assumptions, we could potentially be fighting Minnesota, Nebraska, IU, Northwestern, and Purdue for 4 NIT spots. I'm inclined to think that they'll take the teams with the highest RPIs. Currently we're 8th in conference (78 overall) a good distance behind Minnesota (44) and Nebraska (50). We're currently ahead of IU (93), Northwestern (114), Penn State (117), and Purdue (126). As of now, we're probably in pretty good position, but we may need to win one of our games against the big boys to solidify our chances

This guy had us in as a 6 seed pre-Nebraska win, so have to think we'd be solidly in if they picked today.

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2014/02/ni...tology-feb-24/
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:30 AM   #262
DaytonIllini
NIT 2013

St. Johns got in with a 16-15 record last season.

Providence was 17-14

Indiana State, St. Joes, Washington, Florida State, Baylor, and Stanford all got in with 18 wins.

We are 16-12 with at least 4 more games to play. I'd think if we win 2 we'd be a lock and might get in with 1 more win depending on which game we won I suppose.

Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:52 AM   #263
dweebs19
how about we just win the B1G tournament
Old Feb 27, 2014, 09:22 AM   #264
illinitrav
That'd be really cool if the athletic department could somehow swing it so we could host NIT/CBI games at Huff Hall.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:22 AM   #265
haasi
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitrav View Post
That'd be really cool if the athletic department could somehow swing it so we could host NIT/CBI games at Huff Hall.
Yup. Small venue. Could get raucus in there.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:24 AM   #266
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitrav View Post
MT said during the weekend radio show that there would not be any post season games played at Huff.

Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:21 PM   #267
GotMyIOnYou
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
MT said during the weekend radio show that there would not be any post season games played at Huff.

Really? I don't get it; does not make much sense to me.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:25 PM   #268
GotMyIOnYou
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebs19 View Post
how about we just win the B1G tournament

I second this. How huge would that be if this team somehow made the NCAA? That being said, is there a precedence for a bottom team in a conference winning its conference tournament?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:43 PM   #269
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMyIOnYou View Post
Really? I don't get it; does not make much sense to me.
I could be off here, maybe someone else can chime in, but I think some of the changes made to Huff for the volleyball team (?) don't allow a regulation size basketball court at Huff any longer.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:46 PM   #270
zpfled
Just win the BTT, baby.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:49 PM   #271
haasi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMyIOnYou View Post
I second this. How huge would that be if this team somehow made the NCAA? That being said, is there a precedence for a bottom team in a conference winning its conference tournament?
In non-major conferences, for sure. Liberty went last year with 20 losses, and in the past few years Coppin State and Oakland also won their conference tourneys after having bad seasons and made the tourney.

Can't think of any major conference examples. I'm sure there are examples where a mediocre team that wouldn't have gotten an at large won their major conf tourney. Connecticut won its conference tourney as a 9 seed with Kemba when they won the national championship in 2011, but they would have made the tourney anyway (just not as a high seed).
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:51 PM   #272
PointGuardU01
Quote:
In non-major conferences, for sure. Liberty went last year with 20 losses, and in the past few years Coppin State and Oakland also won their conference tourneys after having bad seasons and made the tourney.

Can't think of any major conference examples. I'm sure there are examples where a mediocre team that wouldn't have gotten an at large won their major conf tourney. Connecticut won its conference tourney as a 9 seed with Kemba when they won the national championship in 2011, but they would have made the tourney anyway (just not as a high seed).
Georgia in 2008. Same day we almost pulled it off they won their 4th game in 3 days to win SEC tourney. Played twice on first day after tornado caused tournament to move or be delayed (can't remember which).
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:58 PM   #273
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Not playing at Huff may be because it's getting a new floor this year. I'm thinking that starts in a week or two.

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
Old Feb 27, 2014, 01:03 PM   #274
GotMyIOnYou
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
Georgia in 2008. Same day we almost pulled it off they won their 4th game in 3 days to win SEC tourney. Played twice on first day after tornado caused tournament to move or be delayed (can't remember which).

Just looked that team up. They were a 14 seed with a 17-16 record and lost to Xaiver in the first round. In the SEC tourney, Georgia won back-to-back overtime games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Georgia, which had a sub-.500 record going into the tournament and had to win the title outright to secure an NCAA Tournament bid, was forced to play and win three games in the space of 30 hours, including two games on Saturday the original quarterfinal game against Kentucky that was postponed by the tornado and venue change, and the subsequent semifinal game.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 01:16 PM   #275
haasi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
Thanks. Forgot about them. As it turns out, they were 17-16 that year and got a 14 seed (lowest seed ever for a major conf team). If we somehow pull off a miracle and win BTT, we'd be at worst 20-15, so probably in line for a slightly higher seed then that. Here's hoping!!!
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »