Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August-November 2012)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:00 AM   #17476
illini73
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
+1

can't see the staff would take Finke without knowing definitively where we stand with KBD.

If KBD is in, then I'd think a PG would be the priority. If CA wants in then obviously you take him.

Oversigning by 2 would an interesting situation.
KBD will be a 3 in college, who can swing to the 4 position when we go with a small lineup. Finke is a college 4 (a stretch four). Groce would take both tomorrow if they wanted to commit, no doubt.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:02 AM   #17477
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
If it is what I am hearing/reading on other boards then !!

It may start the "dominoes to fall" also!
I can't give any details now, but we will all be extra thankful on Turkey Day.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:02 AM   #17478
OrchardDowns
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFreak7 View Post
I really hope this news is about KBD and that we land him as soon as possible. This would give us maximum time to go after a top pg and even go all out on a player like CA.
Where are we getting all these scholarships in 2014??? Hoping someone leaves?? Last I checked we have one open (for KBD hopefully ).
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:07 AM   #17479
OrchardDowns
Banned
Quote:
Illinois #10 in Rivals updated 2013 team rankings

Quote:
#10 Illinois

2013 commits (National rank)-
SG Kendrick Nunn (45)
SG Malcolm Hill (67)
C Austin Colbert (92)
PF Maverick Morgan (NR 3-star)
PG Jaylon Tate (NR 3-star)

John Groce and his staff and company got a late start on the class of 2013 but have done a great job. A product of Chicago's public league, Nunn was a major score and he and Hill should be a nice wing combo. Colbert is a fluid big man who can run the floor while Morgan has the size and skill to play at the four or the five. Tate is another Chicago product and a steady hand at the point.

Colbert a Center and Morgan a Power Forward?? Shouldn't that be the other way around???

Last edited by Dan; Nov 14, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:08 AM   #17480
Indicchief
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
My GUESS:

* KBD
* Lyle
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:09 AM   #17481
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Illinois is now #18 in Scout's class rankings
Seems about right to me. We don't have a top-25 guy, but we have a deep, quality class.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:10 AM   #17482
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchardDowns View Post
Where are we getting all these scholarships in 2014??? Hoping someone leaves?? Last I checked we have one open (for KBD hopefully ).
We have one left for KBD. The likely scenario is that Shaw and/or Ibby will transfer out. It will all work out.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:11 AM   #17483
HsvIllini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchardDowns View Post
Gotta wonder if Shaw will still be around considering how long he was on the bench during the St. Francis game...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:11 AM   #17484
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
KBD will be a 3 in college, who can swing to the 4 position when we go with a small lineup. Finke is a college 4 (a stretch four). Groce would take both tomorrow if they wanted to commit, no doubt.
Totally agree w/this.

Hard to believe, but our '14 class may be wrapped a bit early. ;-)

As to where the additional 2 rides are coming from:

- transfers (safe to assume at least 1)
- academic attrition (unknown)
- Egwu makes a huge leap and leaves early (remember, that's 2 years from now)
- Creaning (God, forbid)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:16 AM   #17485
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
Gotta wonder if Shaw will still be around considering how long he was on the bench during the St. Francis game...
There is the evil part of me that wonders if JG is orchestrating everything and having Mike sit, just because he wants him to get the message and transfer.

Then there is the nice part of me that says "Not manipulating for that, but rather the fact that Groce posts everything and all of the players know where they stand in many and diverse measures. There is nothing manipulative about it, Mike just hasn't earned his minutes. If he was playing more than he earned, that wouldn't be fair to the guys that were earning the minutes."

If the former is true, I find that understandable but somewhat bothersome. I guess I'm too much of a Dad to find it comfortable to give such difficult "guidance" to a 19 year old.

If the latter, then much less difficult for me, as the approach is just what sports is; objective and goal oriented.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:40 AM   #17486
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
There is the evil part of me that wonders if JG is orchestrating everything and having Mike sit, just because he wants him to get the message and transfer.

Then there is the nice part of me that says "Not manipulating for that, but rather the fact that Groce posts everything and all of the players know where they stand in many and diverse measures. There is nothing manipulative about it, Mike just hasn't earned his minutes. If he was playing more than he earned, that wouldn't be fair to the guys that were earning the minutes."

If the former is true, I find that understandable but somewhat bothersome. I guess I'm too much of a Dad to find it comfortable to give such difficult "guidance" to a 19 year old.

If the latter, then much less difficult for me, as the approach is just what sports is; objective and goal oriented.
But isn't it better to let the kid know that he's unlikely to play and that transferring to a different school where he will get minutes is the best option for him?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:42 AM   #17487
IlliNYC
Quote:
You gotta believe that Groce would rather Shaw was a productive member of the team. You'd think that signing two would certainly raise the urgency in practice (even more) though.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:47 AM   #17488
Joel Goodson
Verbals aren't signings. Unless I'm sorely mistaken (it's happened before...lol), the oversigning rule applies to LOIs, not verbals.

With the talent available, I'll be surprised if we don't take 3 in '14.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:50 AM   #17489
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:

I think it's much simpler, Shaw is simply #11 in the rotation right now. Since this is the first season for Groce, he's undoubtedly going to spend more time getting the guys he knows will be in the rotation a lot of experience running his system, which means less minutes for those on the outside.

I do think there's an opportunity for Shaw - Griffey and McLaurin will be leaving and the 2 frosh bigs coming in are not top 20 guys, he'll have a big edge on them from a maturity and familiarity with the system standpoint.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:55 AM   #17490
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
I think it's much simpler, Shaw is simply #11 in the rotation right now.
Yes, no need for a major conspiracy theory. The best players play. It is hard to play more than 9-10.

This doesn't mean that Shaw and Ibby will never play for Groce, but he will probably let them know where they stand long term.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:59 AM   #17491
Dan
Admin
Maverick Morgan
Quote:
Springboro (OH) PF Maverick Morgan @maverick_morgan tells me he has just sent in his letter of intent to Illinois

http://twitter.com/scott_chihoops
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:00 AM   #17492
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Maverick Morgan
Dan, do we have any idea when the phone in presser will be today? Or if it will be available on All-Access? Thanks.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:05 AM   #17493
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
Dan, do we have any idea when the phone in presser will be today? Or if it will be available on All-Access? Thanks.
According to Brad Sturdy, Groce will talk at 4pm today. I think it's a private teleconference, but hopefully Rob McColley records it and posts the video.

Quote:
@maverick_morgan @JaySwaveyy11 @Malcolmjets23 @KNunnSG and @ACole_13_CTMD all set to sign with #Illini tomorrow. John Groce will talk at 4PM

http://twitter.com/Sturdy32
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:06 AM   #17494
robertgoulet
IL Board Resident Crooner
Quote:
BLT...you always seem to drop knowledge right when I'm at my busiest at work. Do you realize how hard it is to work AND constantly refresh my browser window at the same time?

I'm not a rocket surgeon, you know.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:10 AM   #17495
FinalFour88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
According to Brad Sturdy, Groce will talk at 4pm today. I think it's a private teleconference, but hopefully Rob McColley records it and posts the video.
But isn't Groce in Hawaii right now? McColley's not in Hawaii, is he?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:12 AM   #17496
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
Maybe the video will just show the speakerphone?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:12 AM   #17497
homesickalien
Quote:

Just when I thought I could relax on the recruiting and focus on the season you go and do this to me. Better not be any blue balling when Thanksgiving rolls around...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:13 AM   #17498
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
It's a teleconference, the media stay home and dial in.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:18 AM   #17499
BenjIllini
Banned
Quote:
Sweet, Jereme Richmond is committing again!?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:19 AM   #17500
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjIllini View Post
Sweet, Jereme Richmond is committing again!?
I don't think that would be something to be thankful for.