Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August-November 2012)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:44 AM   #17526
combes
Not a chance. Why would Finke walk on when he has offers from other big schools? Illinois would take a commitment from him if he called today.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:47 AM   #17527
dmac279
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoulet View Post
BLT...you always seem to drop knowledge right when I'm at my busiest at work. Do you realize how hard it is to work AND constantly refresh my browser window at the same time?

I'm not a rocket surgeon, you know.
You need to multitask better
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:49 AM   #17528
troyk
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
The staff really like Finke as his game is perfect for our offense. The over signing will/would work itself out one way or another. If he wants to come the staff would welcome him with open arms.

Finke is a high major player he does not need to walk on anywhere.
I don't doubt that. I'm strictly saying that it is unlikely we take both KDB and Finke in the 2014 class if we also manage to get a commit from a high-major guard like Lyle. That's 3 players and 1 scholarship. Sure, someone might transfer but two transfers? That seems like a gamble and it doesn't make sense to take that gamble this early on in the 2014 game.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:51 AM   #17529
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
I don't doubt that. I'm strictly saying that it is unlikely we take both KDB and Finke in the 2014 class if we also manage to get a commit from a high-major guard like Lyle. That's 3 players and 1 scholarship. Sure, someone might transfer but two transfers? That seems like a gamble and it doesn't make sense to take that gamble this early on in the 2014 game.
The staff has a better read on who might transfer than any of us. They might already know of 3 guys who will transfer, you never know.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:52 AM   #17530
troyk
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
The staff has a better read on who might transfer than any of us. They might already know of 3 guys who will transfer, you never know.
Well, if they take a commitment from Finke tomorrow and KDB next week and still pursue 2014 kids, then I guess we'll have our answer.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:01 AM   #17531
Noday
Will Groce gamble on finke being better than MS or DL? I dont think he will accept a commitment from Finke TODAY unless somebody wants to leave. I think Ibby would be nudged if Lyle or another PG wanted to commit after KBD commits. I just think Finke doesnt have a spot anymore now that Colbert committed. Hey, maybe we will have more than 1 transfer from MS, DL and Ibby. Who knows?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:01 AM   #17532
PeoriaIllini1
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG1985 View Post
well, i've not heard it put so simply. but it's pretty obvious that we're not going to take commitments from Finke and O'Mara tomorrow if they both want to accept.

I'm guessing that every recruit is told that the offer changes once other recruits make decisions. It's pretty obvious that another big in '14 is behind another PG and KBD in terms of priorities. That's how the Colbert commitment changed that.
In the radio interview on WDWS the coach said if we offer for a scholarship position of PG for example 3 guards and they have them ranked 1, 2, 3 and they offer all three that if the 3rd ranked commits first he gets the spot. That is what he said in the interview point blank. I tried to find it on the podcast but it doesnt go back past the October 16th. So based on what he said then if Finke commits they will take him. It make since that if he or anyone wants the 4 spot he may commit soon.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:03 AM   #17533
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaIllini1 View Post
In the radio interview on WDWS the coach said if we offer for a scholarship position of PG for example 3 guards and they have them ranked 1, 2, 3 and they offer all three that if the 3rd ranked commits first he gets the spot. That is what he said in the interview point blank. I tried to find it on the podcast but it doesnt go back past the October 16th. So based on what he said then if Finke commits they will take him. It make since that if he or anyone wants the 4 spot he may commit soon.
What people say and what they do are completely different sometimes. Good life lesson for everyone.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:04 AM   #17534
MrQuist
Banned
Quote:
They would have already transferred. No player is going to tell Groce they are going to transfer after this year, especially not somebody who is going to get very few minutes this year.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:04 AM   #17535
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgoldie View Post
Been reading alot of folks expressing wishful thinking about Cliff Alexander... just curious, did I miss something, is there any reason to think he's considering Illinois?
Scout.com did a live chat a couple of days ago:

Quote:
10:39
Comment From nysparty
Cliff ALexander? Still MSU and KY?

10:40
Brian Snow: Yes right now it is Michigan State and UK for Cliff, but Illinois is working their way in the mix a little bit. At the end of the day Alexander's relationship with Izzo might be tough to top, but obviously he loves UK and what they bring to the table. I don't see a quick decision, but those two are on top with Illinois lurking.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:06 AM   #17536
DaytonIllini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
He'd have another 10 assists if his teammates could finish so I would be frustrated to if I were him. :laugh:

Not sure if Lyle is a clear step ahead, but he's definitely the guy we are in the best shape to land as of today.
I think he is a year away from deciding. I don't see Lyle choosing early. He has a lot of work to do to be a B1G quality PG based on that video. A lot of work. But he certainly has the potential to be a great one.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:08 AM   #17537
Noday
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaIllini1 View Post
I see multiple scouting sites projecting both Colbert and Finke as 4s. I think Colbert beat Finke to the punch.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:10 AM   #17538
PeoriaIllini1
Banned
Quote:
What people say and what they do are completely different sometimes. Good life lesson for everyone.
I hope our coaching staff is not made up of people with that kind of character. They should be up front and honest to these young players about what they have to offer them.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:10 AM   #17539
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I think he is a year away from deciding. I don't see Lyle choosing early. He has a lot of work to do to be a B1G quality PG based on that video. A lot of work. But he certainly has the potential to be a great one.
How does he compare to Zabo/Mitchell/et al? Is Lyle the #1 priority for PG in 2014?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:12 AM   #17540
combes
Illinois would take Finke today if he called and wanted to commit. This is a fact.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:13 AM   #17541
Joel Goodson
Quote:
+1

IMO, that's nothing more than a rule of thumb for public consumption.

WRT the '14s, I'm firmly in the we-virtually-immediatelly-accept-Finke's-commitment camp, whether it be today, tomorrow, next week, ... (unless Alexander beats him to the punch, which I highly, highly doubt).
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:13 AM   #17542
PeoriaIllini1
Banned
Does anyone know if any of our players are ahead of pace and could graduate early in a year or two and transfer without sitting out. Much like the Sams of the this year and last year? Could Langford graduate early in two years or someone else? With summer school sessions i wonder were some of them as far as class academically.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:15 AM   #17543
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Illinois would take Finke today if he called and wanted to commit. This is a fact.
+1

Hall of Shame:
@TomCrean: I am doing great. I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot. How are you doing?
"W.I.N.(T.) Whatever is necessary today" - Tim Beckman
"It's not ideal but for now, I don't think it'll put a dagger in the heart of the program" - Paul Kowalczyk
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:15 AM   #17544
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I agree. Didn't mean to imply that I thought that Lyle would commit anytime soon. Just saying that we are in better shape with him now than most poeple believe and landing KBD would certainly strengthen our cause. Groce is watching Zabo and Mitchell, but both are long shots to land. Lyle is definitely the likely option of those three, but we still have a long way to go.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:19 AM   #17545
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
He'd have another 10 assists if his teammates could finish so I would be frustrated to if I were him. :laugh:

Not sure if Lyle is a clear step ahead, but he's definitely the guy we are in the best shape to land as of today.
If reports are to be trusted (lol), the only conclusion (from your statement) is that our position with Lyle has strengthened. Can you please elaborate?

<added>
Thanks for answering, oh, prescient one.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:24 AM   #17546
Noday
Quote:
Would they take him even after KBDs commitment or are you saying Groce isnt so sure about KBD?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:25 AM   #17547
illinisc
Banned
Quote:
Not a chance. Why would Finke walk on when he has offers from other big schools? Illinois would take a commitment from him if he called today.
You never know. Its happened in the past where a player comes to a school and pays his own way his first year with the promise of a scholarship in the future. Isn't that what happened with Trent Meachem? I think Andre Drummond from UConn did that recently, as well as a kid from Kentucky a couple of years back.

I doubt Finke would do that but its not out of the realm of possibilities.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:27 AM   #17548
Chilliniwek
Even if I knew I was transferring at the semester break or end of the year, I wouldn't do it until I got back from Hawaii.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:30 AM   #17549
doublea238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
If reports are to be trusted (lol), the only conclusion (from your statement) is that our position with Lyle has strengthened. Can you please elaborate?

<added>
All he's saying is that out of the 3 PG's, we are in the best shape with Lyle. Best shape may mean there is a 1% chance we get Lyle and <1% we get Mitchell/Zabo. Meaning we are still in the best shape with Lyle, but not necessarily in good shape with any of them.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:30 AM   #17550
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post

<added>
Kentucky, IU, and Louisville lead for Lyle as of now with us lurking not far behind. Lyle is a backup option for Kentucky and IU is already a couple over on scholarships leaving Louisville as the likely front runner. Lyle has been on campus numerous times and has a good relationship with Groce and the staff. Landing a top player like KBD would certainly help.

Lyle is a ways off from deciding so that definitely works in our favor. I just feel that between Lyle, Mitchell, and Zabo, Lyle would be the most likely for us to land, but only time will tell. Get KBD officially onboard and then they will go hard after Lyle and Cliff.
Closed Thread