Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2012-March 2013)

Closed Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:11 PM   #4326
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyIllini View Post
I've seen Brunson play a few teams this year and I can say that he is indeed a great floor general and leader. He's got some good handles and athleticism while being able and willing to pass to his teammates after creating off the bounce. The NSC is a little down this year in talent, I mean sure you could argue Malik Yarbrough from Zion and that Evan Bodreaux guy from Lake Forest are D1 talent, but I just am not seeing the type of competition on the court that I have seen in years past.
The NSC might not have the individual talent as years past but not to many conferences in Illinois can boast of having 4 starters in the B1G. Paul, Brust, Lenzelle Smith and Vogrich (early in the season).
Teamwise, however it might be one of the toughest ever. Stevenson,LF, ZB and North Chicago will all be tough in the playoffs.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:14 PM   #4327
DaytonIllini
Banned
Flying to the Hoop

Jalen James led his team to a win over Huntington Prep and Wiggins. James 13 or 14pts (depending on which site you believe). Wiggins 11pts.

La Lumiere also beat Trotwood Madison (a local team with a lot of talent).

Local team Franklin (Luke Kennard - Sophomore scoring freak) beat HCYA of Texas. Kennard had 30+ points and Bossi immediately made him a top 50 player in the country. He is going to be a superstar. His offer list is awesome. He can play the 1-3. Think Scheyer (without all the stupid facial grimaces) and you are in the right ballpark. Groce should get on this kid.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:20 PM   #4328
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfconfour View Post
Do people seriously think elite level recruits will come here in 2015 if we fail to make the tournament this year and next? :laugh:
Sure why not. Groce needs time to get his type of players in the system. Anyone who isn't clueless can see that. Most recruits aren't completely clueless. I'm also guessing that players love his system and wuld want to play in it. Just ask Turner what he thinks of Groce and his system while playing at aOSU?

Last edited by PeoriaSteve; Jan 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:17 PM   #4329
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLoyalty View Post
Carlwell didn't do much but that is because his teammate, Pullen is a chucker.
Not the same at all. But if you think so, that is your business. Did you watch the game? Colbert's first game. Other kid has been shooting a ton all year. May take some time for Colbert to fit in. But he is talented. Imo

Last edited by combes; Jan 20, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:30 PM   #4330
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Flying to the Hoop

Jalen James led his team to a win over Huntington Prep and Wiggins. James 13 or 14pts (depending on which site you believe). Wiggins 11pts.

La Lumiere also beat Trotwood Madison (a local team with a lot of talent).

Local team Franklin (Luke Kennard - Sophomore scoring freak) beat HCYA of Texas. Kennard had 30+ points and Bossi immediately made him a top 50 player in the country. He is going to be a superstar. His offer list is awesome. He can play the 1-3. Think Scheyer (without all the stupid facial grimaces) and you are in the right ballpark. Groce should get on this kid.
Kentucky, OSU & IU in that order on Kennard. He's a lefty, Kevin Greavy comparison, oh wait your not that old.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:32 PM   #4331
DaytonIllini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Kentucky, OSU & IU in that order on Kennard. He's a lefty, Kevin Greavy comparison, oh wait your not that old.
I am told his preference is Duke. If they express interest, it's done. That IU is not a likely destination.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:24 PM   #4332
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikpence View Post
Yet he had more points than anyone else in that game. Anyone that watches him in games should be able to see he's playing out of position. That's what has suppressed his scoring, if he got to play the three and got the minutes some of our guys are getting he'd score a lot more. I also think that effort is very important, but so is talent.
I have seen zero evidence that Henry can really dribble well enough (or at all) or have enough quickness or speed to even think of guarding a wing.

I just don't see it and I still have yet to really see him have a good shooting night at all.

Hall of Shame:
@TomCrean: I am doing great. I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot. How are you doing?
"W.I.N.(T.) Whatever is necessary today" - Tim Beckman
"It's not ideal but for now, I don't think it'll put a dagger in the heart of the program" - Paul Kowalczyk
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:30 PM   #4333
SummerofGeorge
Quote:
I am told his preference is Duke. If they express interest, it's done. That IU is not a likely destination.
Sadly, I think we could say this for every high school kid in the nation.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:33 PM   #4334
Railsplitter
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
I have seen zero evidence that Henry can really dribble well enough (or at all) or have enough quickness or speed to even think of guarding a wing.

I just don't see it and I still have yet to really see him have a good shooting night at all.
I agree with you Kramer to a point. But have you noticed that when Henry is in the game he gets the ball as a last resort only ? Seems that way to me .I really don't know if he has the handles or not because he seems to actually have the ball about 5% of the time he gets in. I don't know if thats by design or not , but I do remember thinking the same thing last year. Regardless I'd bench the starters for a half , win or not to get a message across . I'm pretty much sick of whats going on right now. OR then again thats just actually how good this team is . jmo
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:36 PM   #4335
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post

Pretty much agree. I was excited when Illinois recruited him because I saw him in high school hit threes, drive into the lane for midrange shots, dunk at the rim, rebound on both ends, etc. He obviously has not carried that over to college. I figured he would have to learn to play defense but I never thought he would struggle with scoring and rebounding.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:35 PM   #4336
PGHillini11
Does anyone know what time Maverick plays tonight. Interested to see how he does against Prime Prep, who's basically a D1 team.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:36 PM   #4337
illini73
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Pretty much agree. I was excited when Illinois recruited him because I saw him in high school hit threes, drive into the lane for midrange shots, dunk at the rim, rebound on both ends, etc. He obviously has not carried that over to college. I figured he would have to learn to play defense but I never thought he would struggle with scoring and rebounding.
Has he really had the opportunity on the court yet? Not in my opinion. If Griffey and Sam are struggling why not give him a chance. He may not play D, but neither does Griffey. I think he can score and rebound with more PT.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:45 PM   #4338
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHillini11 View Post
Does anyone know what time Maverick plays tonight. Interested to see how he does against Prime Prep, who's basically a D1 team.
Scheduled to start @ 8:15 EST...Coach Cal in the building. Prime Prep 15 Boro 11 after 1...

Last edited by TCTORNADO; Jan 20, 2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:54 PM   #4339
PeoriaChief
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Wasn't Henry very similar (and ranked similarly) to Hill in high school? Hit 3's, drove to the hoop, had a nice mid range game, shot alot of FT's, and had questionable defense and energy/killer instinct? Just a reminder not to get ahead of ourselves in regards to Hill being an immediate impact guy, though I hope he is.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:06 PM   #4340
DaytonIllini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerofGeorge View Post
Sadly, I think we could say this for every high school kid in the nation.

Good point. That was hardly a scoop, was it? :laugh:
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:07 PM   #4341
DaytonIllini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaChief View Post
Wasn't Henry very similar (and ranked similarly) to Hill in high school? Hit 3's, drove to the hoop, had a nice mid range game, shot alot of FT's, and had questionable defense and energy/killer instinct? Just a reminder not to get ahead of ourselves in regards to Hill being an immediate impact guy, though I hope he is.
Yes. He was considered a 'can't miss' guy.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:08 PM   #4342
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Scheduled to start @ 8:15 EST...Coach Cal in the building. Prime Prep 15 Boro 11 after 1...
PP 35 Springboro 25 @ Half.. MM had an excellent half that's all I got.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:09 PM   #4343
Kramer116
Completely different players and skillets imo.

Hill is light years ahead as a creator and ball handler.

Hall of Shame:
@TomCrean: I am doing great. I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot. How are you doing?
"It's not ideal but for now, I don't think it'll put a dagger in the heart of the program" - Paul Kowalczyk
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:12 PM   #4344
-josh-
Banned
Quote:

I wouldn't say that he was considered a cant miss, he blew up one summer and then dropped off slightly after being ranked inside the top 20. He was described as having a scorers mentality with many flaws. It seems like a lot of these Mac Irvin Fire kids have a case of growing pains in college after a lot of hype.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:25 PM   #4345
TCTORNADO
Quote:
RSCI had Henry @ 66, that's not "can't miss" territory. #65 was Shaw...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:33 PM   #4346
Noday
Wasn't Henry considered a guard as a recruit? Also, last year he flashed much potential on offense
playing the 3.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:35 PM   #4347
kingmal
Banned
Henry was a five star at one point. Number 18 then he dropped to the 30s
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:15 PM   #4348
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmal View Post
Henry was a five star at one point. Number 18 then he dropped to the 30s
That was Rivals. Henry had a big range w/ Scout having him in the 60's. That's why RSCI is best and they had him end at 66.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:18 PM   #4349
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noday View Post
Wasn't Henry considered a guard as a recruit? Also, last year he flashed much potential on offense
playing the 3.
That's what Weber told him when he recruited him that he would be a 2.

He also played as a PF last year from what I remember.

I was super high on Henry coming into Illinois but honestly I have not really seen anything to get me excited. His great shooting in practice has not translated to games yet.

I guess we will see when he gets more consistent PT.

Hall of Shame:
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:27 PM   #4350
TCTORNADO
Prime Prep ends up blowing out Springboro and MM by score of 82-47. MM leading scorer for both teams w/25 pts and 4 reb.

Last edited by TCTORNADO; Jan 20, 2013 at 09:38 PM.
Closed Thread