Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2012-March 2013)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:26 PM   #4476
HeartofaChampion
Posts: 12,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Sort of OT, but I thought it'd be fun to go back and look at the 2012 class to see how they're performing as freshman.


1. Fred Van Vleet (Wichita St.
13.9 MPG 2.9 PPG 1.8 RPG 2.1 APG

2. Steve Taylor (Marquette)
8.7 MPG 3.1 PPG 1.8 RPG 0.1 APG

3. Michael Orris (Kansas St.)
4.9 MPG 0.5 PPG 0.3 RPG 0.5 APG

4. Jay Simpson (Purdue)
REDSHIRT

5. CJ Jones (Manhattan)
13.7 MPG 2.7 PPG 1.3 RPG 1.1 APG

Anthony Beane (SIUC)
30.6 MPG 10.1 PPG 2.6 RPG 1.9 APG

Just some food for thought on a boring Monday. I'm a big Van Vleet fan..wish we would have grabbed him late last year.
+1 on Van Vleet. Good dribble driver and passer. Would've fit well in JG's system.
HeartofaChampion is offline
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:15 PM   #4477
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Location: Harrisburg, Illinois
Posts: 476
I think I remember Maverick matching up against that Donnal kid (who is ranked higher and committed to Michigan) a short while ago. From what I heard he absolutely destroyed him too.

People saying he should start are stretching it quite a bit. Like others I do think he will have to step up and play more than expected though. Just due to the fact that we are so depleted in bigs.
OrangeandBlue89 is offline
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:26 PM   #4478
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Posts: 13,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
Wasn't ML a 4 star big? We saw what he did as a freshman (nothing).

AND, I am not a hater. Robinson is my hometown, too. Definitely love ML, but, temper expectations of a freshman big. In HS, they could dominate every game. Moving to the B1G, they are just a new kid who is in a different league now.
I think MM has had much better coaching and is more polished than ML was, though of course with a much lower ceiling. Still, we agree on keeping expectations in check for next season.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:27 PM   #4479
Smacko
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeandBlue89 View Post
I think I remember Maverick matching up against that Donnal kid (who is ranked higher and committed to Michigan) a short while ago. From what I heard he absolutely destroyed him too.

People saying he should start are stretching it quite a bit. Like others I do think he will have to step up and play more than expected though. Just due to the fact that we are so depleted in bigs.
Yeah, I don't think it is realistic to expect him to come in as a freshman and take the starting center spot from a Jr Egwu. I do think he will have an opportunity to contribute though, and luckily his body is already developed enough that he should be able to hold his own.
Smacko is offline
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:56 PM   #4480
TCTORNADO
Posts: 9,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
I think MM has had much better coaching and is more polished than ML was, though of course with a much lower ceiling. Still, we agree on keeping expectations in check for next season.
Jay Byrne the coach at Springboro is very good. The guy at Robinson was very bad. Springboro is also in the biggest class in Ohio, whereas Robinson is in the smallest in Illinois. The level of competition is way different.
But here again the 10-15 minute thing is about right. Somebody said awhile back that Morgan is similar to Adam Woodbury of Iowa and that's a good comparison. We will probably see a similar output out of Morgan, too.
TCTORNADO is offline
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:53 PM   #4481
illinifan1515
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Jay Byrne the coach at Springboro is very good. The guy at Robinson was very bad. Springboro is also in the biggest class in Ohio, whereas Robinson is in the smallest in Illinois. The level of competition is way different.
But here again the 10-15 minute thing is about right. Somebody said awhile back that Morgan is similar to Adam Woodbury of Iowa and that's a good comparison. We will probably see a similar output out of Morgan, too.
Well Bob Coffman did lead Robinson to a state title, so 'very bad' might be a bit strong. But I agree he didnt develop Leonard very well.
illinifan1515 is offline
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:55 PM   #4482
blmillini
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan1515 View Post
Well Bob Coffman did lead Robinson to a state title, so 'very bad' might be a bit strong. But I agree he didnt develop Leonard very well.
Bob Coffman? Or, Meyers Leonard?
blmillini is offline
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:59 PM   #4483
illinifan1515
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
Bob Coffman? Or, Meyers Leonard?
Actually, if anyone led them other than the coach it was Ben Jones, he's the only reason they won state, IMO.
illinifan1515 is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:07 AM   #4484
Monte Carlo
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Jay Byrne the coach at Springboro is very good. The guy at Robinson was very bad. Springboro is also in the biggest class in Ohio, whereas Robinson is in the smallest in Illinois. The level of competition is way different.
But here again the 10-15 minute thing is about right. Somebody said awhile back that Morgan is similar to Adam Woodbury of Iowa and that's a good comparison. We will probably see a similar output out of Morgan, too.
Maybe being picky here and it certainly doesn't change your argument, but Robinson does not play in the smallest class in Illinois. They won the state and still play at the 2A level in a 4A system.
Monte Carlo is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:08 AM   #4485
TCTORNADO
Posts: 9,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan1515 View Post
Well Bob Coffman did lead Robinson to a state title, so 'very bad' might be a bit strong. But I agree he didnt develop Leonard very well.
Your clarification is accepted regarding developing ML. What was the name of the little guard that made alot of FT's down the stretch of the ship game?? Is Bob Coffman still there??
TCTORNADO is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:15 AM   #4486
TCTORNADO
Posts: 9,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Carlo View Post
Maybe being picky here and it certainly doesn't change your argument, but Robinson does not play in the smallest class in Illinois. They won the state and still play at the 2A level in a 4A system.
Not picky at all, you are correct. I forgot IHSA has expanded the tourney over the years and Robinson is one of those schools that flips classes depending on the sport.
TCTORNADO is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:23 AM   #4487
illinifan1515
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Your clarification is accepted regarding developing ML. What was the name of the little guard that made alot of FT's down the stretch of the ship game?? Is Bob Coffman still there??
I'm guessing your thinking of Derek Hannah, he went on to play baseball at Ball State. Ben Jones was a big contributor and ended up at the university of southern indiana, same school that Jamar Smith ended up at. And no Bob Coffman is no longer there, Mack Thompson is the coach now. I believe that Coffman is now doing some officiating.
illinifan1515 is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:26 AM   #4488
TCTORNADO
Posts: 9,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan1515 View Post
I'm guessing your thinking of Derek Hannah, he went on to play baseball at Ball State. Ben Jones was a big contributor and ended up at the university of southern indiana, same school that Jamar Smith ended up at. And no Bob Coffman is no longer there, Mack Thompson is the coach now. I believe that Coffman is now doing some officiating.
Yup that's it. Thanks
TCTORNADO is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:03 AM   #4489
dacookiemonsta
Banned
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Alex Legion was as well.

Not comparing the two, but it has happened in the past.
Their games were literally nothing alike.

People need to understand Henry hasn't had a point guard to actually set him up throughout the entirety of his career at UI.

And he really doesn't still grasp how to move without the ball.. Doesn't help he's a four in this system instead of a 3.

If he was getting some of the open looks our guards get he'd probably be shooting 35%.
dacookiemonsta is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:54 AM   #4490
SimonHoffman
Posts: 109
Some stats from last night for those who are interested --

Malcolm Hill with 22 points in a win over Belleville West. Michael Finke with 28 points and 10 rebounds in an OT win over Decatur MacArthur. Austin Colbert scored 16 points on 8 of 10 shooting to go along with 12 rebounds in an 83-49 win over Franklin according to Max Preps.
SimonHoffman is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:04 AM   #4491
DaytonIllini
Banned
Posts: 13,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
I think MM has had much better coaching and is more polished than ML was, though of course with a much lower ceiling. Still, we agree on keeping expectations in check for next season.
I must have missed it. Did anyone actually say Morgan would start next year?

BTW, Byrne is a first year coach at Springboro. I think they fired the prior coach after last season, though he may have left voluntarily.
DaytonIllini is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:14 AM   #4492
sparky791
Banned
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonHoffman View Post
Some stats from last night for those who are interested --

Malcolm Hill with 22 points in a win over Belleville West. Michael Finke with 28 points and 10 rebounds in an OT win over Decatur MacArthur. Austin Colbert scored 16 points on 8 of 10 shooting to go along with 12 rebounds in an 83-49 win over Franklin according to Max Preps.

A finke tweet I saw last night was interesting. I cannot access it here at work but it talked about Finke's little brother scored 29 points I believe in a junior high game. That is pretty impressive for a jh game. Michael said something to the effect that his little brother was going to be special. Lets keep the pipeline going with the Finke's
sparky791 is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:30 AM   #4493
Redbirds33333
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky791 View Post
A finke tweet I saw last night was interesting. I cannot access it here at work but it talked about Finke's little brother scored 29 points I believe in a junior high game. That is pretty impressive for a jh game. Michael said something to the effect that his little brother was going to be special. Lets keep the pipeline going with the Finke's
+1

Also...Thanks Simon for the info...Glad to see Colbert have a nice game this early.
Redbirds33333 is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:35 AM   #4494
IlliniJim20
Posts: 187
For those going to watch our future recruits take on Whitney Young, a little special treat, we'll for my opinion. Whitney Young is now ranked #1 according to Maxpreps. #1 in one poll, #3 in another.

Should be a great game. Go Dolphins, but good games by Tate and Nunn
IlliniJim20 is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:37 AM   #4495
TCTORNADO
Posts: 9,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I must have missed it. Did anyone actually say Morgan would start next year?

BTW, Byrne is a first year coach at Springboro. I think they fired the prior coach after last season, though he may have left voluntarily.
Byrne, first year as HC @ Boro but had been asst. for 5 years prior. I saw Jay Byrne win a State championship 30 years ago @Middletown Fenwick. He's done a wonderful job of taking MM to the next level.
TCTORNADO is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:54 AM   #4496
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Posts: 13,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I must have missed it. Did anyone actually say Morgan would start next year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniguy25 View Post
What about a starting line up of?
G-Tracy
G-Rice
F-Bertrand
F-Egwu
C-Morgan

Other schools seem to get by with young centers and i think Eqwu would be better suited at pf.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:55 AM   #4497
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownillini View Post
If Nunn is are best on ball defender next year we are in trouble. Hes not even the best on ball defender on his high school team(Pollard). I see potential in Nunn but hes just ruff in a lot of areas right now. Just a question do people think Nunn will be better than Paul?
IMHO, definitely better if he has 4 years to develop as BP has...Nunn is coming in with a healthy dose of two things that Paul has lacked and never been able to develop, and that is explosive quickness end to end and laterally, along with an aggressive and intense mentality.

Both of Nunn's earlier games this season on ESPN featured him with multiple injuries (toe and hip one game, hip and ankle another), and he still went out and played hard the entire game and contributed in other facets aside from scoring.

Nunn has BP+ athleticism and explosiveness, and to top it all off, he also has zero fear in taking the ball to the hole and dunking thru contact.

He already has the qualities we've been begging for in BP for 4 years, aside from consistency from the perimeter...and I think he develops that by year 2 in college. Once that clicks, we'll have a guard that can flat out attack the basket, rebound with anyone, defend anyone, and be a genuine perimeter threat. If he stays healthy, I think he makes it happen.
Hugh Jorgen is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:57 AM   #4498
TEYPAY
Location: Springfield
Posts: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky791 View Post
A finke tweet I saw last night was interesting. I cannot access it here at work but it talked about Finke's little brother scored 29 points I believe in a junior high game. That is pretty impressive for a jh game. Michael said something to the effect that his little brother was going to be special. Lets keep the pipeline going with the Finke's
I think Michael has 2 younger brothers - the youngest is in 7th grade. May not get as tall but might be the most athletic...
TEYPAY is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:11 AM   #4499
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 34,975
Quote:
CPS suspends Robert Smith, Nick Irvin

Simeon coach Robert Smith and Morgan Park coach Nick Irvin have each been suspended for four games by Chicago Public Schools officials, according to two sources with knowledge of the situation.

The suspensions come in the aftermath of the dust-up that occurred between the two teams after Wednesday’s game at Chicago State.

Michael O'Brien
Dan is offline
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:20 AM   #4500
illiniguy25
Posts: 176
My starting line up was only to spark a conversation. Apparently, I succeeded. But I would like to point out not every kid who is rated four or five star walks in and starts and also not all three and in the case for the freshman for Nebraska (Sheilds), not all two star recruits take four years to develop. You can look at all the ratings you would like but it comes down to ability to play.

I don't really think Morgan will come in and start, but his stats and size say that he maybe be ready to contribute more than what you or I think. The kid is having a solid year and that was what I was trying to highlight.
illiniguy25 is offline
Closed Thread
Thread Tools

Forum Jump