Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illini Basketball 2017-2018

Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:10 PM   #101
LovieIlliniWood
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendaryOne24 View Post
Indiana St @ State Farm

A week or a few days before the Vandy scrimmage.
That is it, yep couldn't remember!
LovieIlliniWood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:31 AM   #102
matt1all
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhl84 View Post
12 seconds doesn't count.

Rick Pitino? Is that you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:35 AM   #103
WizardBill
Illini optimist
I find it very interesting. I am very optimistic about our chances to be good this year. However, isn’t that the same as every year?

We always think we are better than we actually are. We hear the same things every year. “They don’t know us.” “They don’t have all the facts.”

It would seem to me that quite possibly WE don’t know as much as Wae think and maybe, just maybe, 99.2% of the prognosticators are correct.

I’m still an optimist but it reminds me of global warming. If 99.2% of the experts think something then it is true (99.2% of the time).

Because Indiana sucks!
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:16 AM   #104
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
I find it very interesting. I am very optimistic about our chances to be good this year. However, isn’t that the same as every year?
I don't know about you guys, but the last year of the Groce Era and the last two years of the Weber Era, I thought we were definitely going to suck.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:35 AM   #105
JIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post

We always think we are better than we actually are. We hear the same things every year. “They don’t know us.” “They don’t have all the facts.”

It would seem to me that quite possibly WE don’t know as much as Wae think and maybe, just maybe, 99.2% of the prognosticators are correct.

I’m still an optimist but it reminds me of global warming. If 99.2% of the experts think something then it is true (99.2% of the time).
I think we're likely overrating ourselves because koolaid, and the experts are likely underrating us because of our recent performance. We'll probably end up falling somewhere in between. That being said, I still have high hopes. We have a new coach and several new players so it's hard to predict how good we'll be.
JIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:38 AM   #106
foby
My biggest hope is that I have more fun watching this team than any other team over the last 10 years. If that happens, then anything else is just gravy.
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 09:46 AM   #107
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
I don't know about you guys, but the last year of the Groce Era and the last two years of the Weber Era, I thought we were definitely going to suck.
I find that I have not been very good at judging our coaches. I was so pumped about Bruce when the '05 team was on campus. Beautiful basketball and I thought he could sustain that. Horribly wrong and it took me a long time to admit it. Much longer than it took for younger people to acknowledge. Groce appealed to me in the "he's not Bruce" way that he had, but after 3 years or so, I could judge that he had no system whatsoever. So, the end was painful.

Now, I'm in it all over again, hearing wonderful things about BU. Actually believing them all over again. Seems like there are real facts, not just feel good stories. But I've been burnt badly the last two times out and I'm not ready to trust without evidence. So, I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm going to need to see some evidence. An offensive system, some flexibility on the part of the coach. I'll give them time and I'll cheer like mad all the while. But for me, its about the coach and his staff and its too early to know.

Last edited by FeelYourPaign; Oct 9, 2017 at 09:50 AM.
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:01 AM   #108
Captain Bubbles
The player that has made big gains: Spicy G. Has added 23 pounds of muscle since arriving on campus.

Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:27 AM   #109
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bubbles View Post
The player that has made big gains: Spicy G. Has added 23 pounds of muscle since arriving on campus.
Caught a glimpse of Greg in that short clip that Illini MBB posted a few days ago. Massive physique gains in an astoundingly short time. I think we might have caught lightning in a bottle w/Spicy (tempered by the fact that he has yet to play a single game for us). But still, everything we've heard leads me to believe he will significantly outplay his ranking.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:59 AM   #110
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
As much as I'd like that to be true, it's just not physiologically possible.

Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:12 PM   #111
dweebs19
Quote:
He might have gained 23 pounds, but I doubt it's 23 pounds of muscle. If he has gained 23 pounds of muscle without "help:, I need to hire Fletch as a personal trainer.
dweebs19 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:15 PM   #112
battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
say its been 18 weeks since beginning of June. I can gain 5 lbs (maybe not muscle) Thanksgiving week or Christmas week (cookies and more cookies): 5x18 = 90! Those weeks kill my target running weight but worth it.

I could see 0.5-1 lb a week with Fletch and high protein high calorie diet
battle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:50 PM   #113
PlayAZ
Quote:
Maybe he had his Jordan jersey on?
PlayAZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 01:08 PM   #114
Ol Dirty Gamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
I did. Both were coaches that were completely unwilling to change or adapt.
Groce has the worst overall group of assistants in the B1G, and basically brought in the same group of players as the year before.
The experts knew, and we should have known better as well.
Ol Dirty Gamer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 02:03 PM   #115
TheGMan
No matter the percentage of muscle in that amount, it's still a really good thing that he is adding weight, and likely most of it being muscle.

EDIT: As long as he doesn't lose too much of his already almost legendary amount of athleticism.
TheGMan is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 03:21 PM   #116
whovous
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby View Post
My biggest hope is that I have more fun watching this team than any other team over the last 10 years. If that happens, then anything else is just gravy.
My first thought was simply to say "This."

But then I remembered that the first year of the Groce Era included winning the Maui Tournament, a win at Gonzaga, and a layup at the buzzer against a certain candy-pants team from the East.

I will be extremely happy if this team proves more fun to watch than that one.
whovous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 03:53 PM   #117
Greensboro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebs19 View Post
He might have gained 23 pounds, but I doubt it's 23 pounds of muscle. If he has gained 23 pounds of muscle without "help:, I need to hire Fletch as a personal trainer.
I 'm sure there is some hyperbole here, but Fletch posted +15 pounds on Aug.3

https://twitter.com/Adam_Fletcher41/...09206786064384

so going to +23 lbs (+8 lb more) in another 2 months seems pretty minor and with the look of the Aug 3 picture of Greg I'm not too worried about body fat number. So file it when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor or with/without shoes.
Greensboro is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 03:53 PM   #118
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
Ummm, well, I started a diet in mid-August at 269. I now tip the scales at 243. If I can lose that much weight in two months, why can't someone gain it in an even longer period of time?
You can, but it likely won't be muscle if you aren't eating the right food. Needs to not only be high calorie, but also high protein to encourage muscle growth instead of just added fat, since that should (in theory) let him keep his athleticism.

Btw, congrats on the weight loss!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
IlliniKat91 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 04:17 PM   #119
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
Ummm, well, I started a diet in mid-August at 269. I now tip the scales at 243. If I can lose that much weight in two months, why can't someone gain it in an even longer period of time?
Because losing fat and gaining muscle are two entirely different things.

Old Oct 9, 2017, 04:45 PM   #120
jrichisamazing
I'm just excited to hopefully see some fun basketball ALA Groce's first season. We destroyed Maui that year. Even when we've gone on winning streaks these past couple years, it's been grind it out and survive basketball. I'm ready to see some fast breaks and aggressive D. Plus more dunks/oops.

Any predictions on which 2 players connect on the first alley oop of the season? I'm guessing Lucas to Kipper.

Old Oct 9, 2017, 05:10 PM   #121
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
I'm just excited to hopefully see some fun basketball ALA Groce's first season. We destroyed Maui that year. Even when we've gone on winning streaks these past couple years, it's been grind it out and survive basketball. I'm ready to see some fast breaks and aggressive D. Plus more dunks/oops.

Any predictions on which 2 players connect on the first alley oop of the season? I'm guessing Lucas to Kipper.
Mark to Mark (Alstork to Smith).

Old Oct 9, 2017, 05:22 PM   #122
foby
Quote:
Originally Posted by whovous View Post
My first thought was simply to say "This."

But then I remembered that the first year of the Groce Era included winning the Maui Tournament, a win at Gonzaga, and a layup at the buzzer against a certain candy-pants team from the East.

I will be extremely happy if this team proves more fun to watch than that one.
........and then there was the conference season....... Hopefully this team is fun in the beginning, middle and end!
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 05:36 PM   #123
TheLegendaryOne24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
Mark to Mark (Alstork to Smith).
Soon this thread will called the M & M Express
TheLegendaryOne24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 06:02 PM   #124
VAIllini35
OFL Supplier, BU's Brylcreem
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post

I am going with TL to LB.
VAIllini35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2017, 06:09 PM   #125
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendaryOne24 View Post
Soon this thread will called the M & M Express
I like that...