Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Michigan, Wednesday, January 11th, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Closed Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:04 PM   #201
GameOfThrows
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECETownie View Post
Not enough talk about the jerseys. Still undefeated in the throwbacks, expecting another win tonight! It's that simple.

Starting 5: swap Mav for Thorne
Bench: TJL and Tate swap minutes, Kipper takes some of Finke's and DJW
Can you forward this message to the coaching staff? Please. Maybe add Finke can take some of Thorne's minutes, too
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:14 PM   #202
ILL in IA
The starting 5 can change, but I think some guys need to understand what role they plan on this team right now regardless of starting or coming off the bench. I feel like to many guys off the bench are trying to do to many things. Come in, get boards and play hard on the defensive end.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:23 PM   #203
FatGreg
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL in IA View Post
The starting 5 can change, but I think some guys need to understand what role they plan on this team right now regardless of starting or coming off the bench. I feel like to many guys off the bench are trying to do to many things. Come in, get boards and play hard on the defensive end.
Essentially, this is it. For the team to improve, I feel like Hill and JCL have to be every game high-volume scorers. Abrams and Morgan have to exploit match-ups and take more shots or fewer based on the situation. Black needs to take open shots, but generally focus on defense, rebounding, and creating disruption with his energy and activity. Finke and Thorne can provide offense off the bench in spurts. TJL, Kipper, DJW, AJ, and Tate just need to bring their lunch pails - play within their capabilities, provide hustle and defense, and take the occasional open shot. Every standard possession in the flow of the game should be working to set up Hill, JCL, or Mav to score.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 04:11 PM   #204
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
I don't get the proposals to have Finke play the 5. He's not a 5, never will be, and will be a liability on both ends of the floor if he plays the 5 for more than a minute or 2.

Old Jan 11, 2017, 04:28 PM   #205
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
I don't get the proposals to have Finke play the 5. He's not a 5, never will be, and will be a liability on both ends of the floor if he plays the 5 for more than a minute or 2.
Don't think it's fair to categorically say he can't play the 5. It depends a lot on the matchup and who you pair him with. If your playing a team without a real post presence at center, I don't mind playing him at the 5 with a good rebounder at the 4 (like Black).

Old Jan 11, 2017, 04:38 PM   #206
rtbritt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
Don't think it's fair to categorically say he can't play the 5. It depends a lot on the matchup and who you pair him with. If your playing a team without a real post presence at center, I don't mind playing him at the 5 with a good rebounder at the 4 (like Black).
Also don't see how he is a liability at all on offense as a 5. Stretches the floor. Adds spacing.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 04:39 PM   #207
Illini1221
Peru,IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
I think Finke is a good effort rebounder, but with him playing at the 5 it would be layup after layup after layup for the opposing team. Still though, its not like Thorne brings anything more than Finke. Just a bulkier body.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 04:43 PM   #208
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini1221 View Post
I think Finke is a good effort rebounder, but with him playing at the 5 it would be layup after layup after layup for the opposing team. Still though, its not like Thorne brings anything more than Finke. Just a bulkier body.
Defense around the basket would definitely be the challenge, but it's already a challenge with Thorne and especially Mav (who seems to get out of the way more often than challenge shots).

Old Jan 11, 2017, 04:51 PM   #209
The Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga65 View Post
Asking: Are the rules changes having more affect on us than the rest. Thought the officiating in the IU was more wimp than BIG. Not sure what the stats are but seems like scoring is higher for all.
I've been watching more non-Illini games this year and they've been calling it more across the board. No longer will Big Ten basketball look like Big Ten football.

This will probably help Big Ten teams in the NCAA's. We'll have all been forced to make the adjustments before we get there.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 04:54 PM   #210
The Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
This is close to the time of year that Groce started to play/start Hill and nunn as freshmen.
word
Old Jan 11, 2017, 04:55 PM   #211
Ulysses Everett McGill
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
By default.
Kipper patent pending? TBD.

Last edited by Ulysses Everett McGill; Jan 11, 2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 05:01 PM   #212
Chipatsj23h
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOfThrows View Post
Can you forward this message to the coaching staff? Please. Maybe add Finke can take some of Thorne's minutes, too
I dont mind Mav coming off the bench. We need bench scoring, and him and Finke are the only ones that really offer us that.
Closed Thread