Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:00 AM   #3226
illinidarrin
I'm wondering how it's possible for a player to possibly change his mind or switch when we are in the middle of a non-contact period? Don't you find that just a little curious? Usually you switch when you talk to the coaches or take a visit to that school.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:03 AM   #3227
CUWPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
I'm wondering how it's possible for a player to possibly change his mind or switch when we are in the middle of a non-contact period? Don't you find that just a little curious? Usually you switch when you talk to the coaches or take a visit to that school.
Could be the Umder Armoir game and talking to other recruits. Illinois has limited to no representation in these types of games. Miami for example has several players at these events. Plus it's Miami you can make your own assumptions.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:35 AM   #3228
Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
Does anybody know the specific academic concerns regarding Thomas, besides just "qualifying"?

GPA/ACT scale? Number/Type of credits? Number of credits earned too late? I feel like some legit insight to these, which I'm sure the staff is aware of, would paint a much clearer picture.
The insight is the staff has ALL the information on Jeff Thomas they need or want. They have met with the administration at ESL about Jeff. There are no secretes on this kid at this point.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:37 AM   #3229
Title
Quote:
My question to you would be what player have changed their mind during the dead period? The kids to Minn from WM is simply following Fleck.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:40 AM   #3230
CUWPC
Miami has 6 WRs visiting this month and three committed. They're hitting the WR position hard.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:42 AM   #3231
PaytonHighstep
Quote:
My understanding is the "Dead Period" that is still in effect is no in person contact, even if the recruit is on campus. It doesn't restrict correspondence (letters, email, social media, phone). There are multiple ways and reasons a recruit could change his mind during this period, imo.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...iet-evaluation

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes...ting-calendars
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:20 AM   #3232
FT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Title View Post
Yes but they are high school kids. They are not adults and don't think like adults. The internet is their world.
I can't say I blame them for being bothered by things that are written about them that aren't true (qualifying issues, etc.). It would bother me as well and I'm an adult (I guess).

Like you've mentioned, however, Illinois hasn't been in on a recruit as highly ranked as Thomas in a number of years so he's going to elicit a lot of discussion.

I will say that this forum is relatively even tempered and expectations are realistic. It's really mostly diehards here that have seen a number of losses (on the field and off). I've had season tickets for 10 years and there was a three year stretch in there where I did not see a home conference win. TB did a lot of damage to this program and Smith is doing what he can to bring back some excitement to this program. I hope the ESL kids can be apart of that. Thomas has even said that Smith has made it known to him how important he'd be to this program.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:34 AM   #3233
Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT35 View Post
I can't say I blame them for being bothered by things that are written about them that aren't true (qualifying issues, etc.). It would bother me as well and I'm an adult (I guess).

Like you've mentioned, however, Illinois hasn't been in on a recruit as highly ranked as Thomas in a number of years so he's going to elicit a lot of discussion.

I will say that this forum is relatively even tempered and expectations are realistic. It's really mostly diehards here that have seen a number of losses (on the field and off). I've had season tickets for 10 years and there was a three year stretch in there where I did not see a home conference win. TB did a lot of damage to this program and Smith is doing what he can to bring back some excitement to this program. I hope the ESL kids can be apart of that. Thomas has even said that Smith has made it known to him how important he'd be to this program.
You are spot on and I agree. I too would love for Illinois to have a strong presence in the Big 10. I believe the state of Illinois play some of the best High School ball in the country which should translate on the college level considering there aren't too many in state options.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:43 AM   #3234
illinidarrin
I believe every CB prediction on Thomas is for Miami now. That was quick.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:56 PM   #3235
JimmyTheLayup
Quote:
I believe every CB prediction on Thomas is for Miami now. That was quick.
Huh? We still have 40% of his crystal ball.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:07 PM   #3236
illinidarrin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheLayup View Post
Huh? We still have 40% of his crystal ball.
I've seen 6-7 today alone that went to Miami. That's not a good trend.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:09 PM   #3237
illinidarrin
Actually, it's 8 CB predictions for Miami. That's close enough to all.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:14 PM   #3238
blmillini
Quote:
Out of 25
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:17 PM   #3239
JimmyTheLayup
Quote:

We still have 40%.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:20 PM   #3240
CUWPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheLayup View Post
We still have 40%.
It's the ole where there's smoke thought. Miami getting the last 8 picks, plus the Illinois insider bing one of them. It's not looking good.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:38 PM   #3241
JimmyTheLayup
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUWPC View Post
It's the ole where there's smoke thought. Miami getting the last 8 picks, plus the Illinois insider bing one of them. It's not looking good.

I'm not arguing otherwise. He said Miami had all of the picks, that's simply incorrect.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:43 PM   #3242
Title
Jeff is hasn't narrowed down his choice yet and it will come down to signing day. He has stated that he want to win a National Championship in his career so most will say Miami has the best chance. Until he visits, its all guessing at this point. I can tell you the QB pick this year is somewhat an Issue.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:50 PM   #3243
cmore
Banned
Quote:
Jeff is hasn't narrowed down his choice yet and it will come down to signing day. He has stated that he want to win a National Championship in his career so most will say Miami has the best chance. Until he visits, its all guessing at this point. I can tell you the QB pick this year is somewhat an Issue.
Can you explain a little more about your last sentence?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:53 PM   #3244
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
He did narrow it down. He came out with a top 3 and Illinois was the only one in it.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 02:56 PM   #3245
Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmore View Post
Can you explain a little more about your last sentence?
A WR wants to play with a QB that they know can get them the ball. Take a look at Ridley from Alabama. Although Hurts is very talented, getting WR the ball was somewhat of an issue.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 02:59 PM   #3246
Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
He did narrow it down. He came out with a top 3 and Illinois was the only one in it.
His head coach came out with a top three AT THAT TIME and Jeff eliminated a couple of those schools on Social Media. At the time of that interview, Tenn, and Oregon had not expressed interest in him and Miami thought he had shut the door on them with going to Alabama. Today, he is unsure where he will go and the visits will help him make his final decision.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:03 PM   #3247
CUWPC
Quote:
A WR wants to play with a QB that they know can get them the ball. Take a look at Ridley from Alabama. Although Hurts is very talented, getting WR the ball was somewhat of an issue.
I'm not comparing Miami QB recruiting to Illinois, but if Kaaya leaves they have unknown commodities just like Illinois. Lawson has a big arm and potential just like the Miami QB's. They have more options, but they are unknown options.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:43 PM   #3248
Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUWPC View Post
I'm not comparing Miami QB recruiting to Illinois, but if Kaaya leaves they have unknown commodities just like Illinois. Lawson has a big arm and potential just like the Miami QB's. They have more options, but they are unknown options.

Yes they are unknown options as well. Let's see who presents the best case. I know Illinois offered his current QB however I believe there is not a lot of interest from him.

The statement is something HE shared after playing with several QB's at both Nike Opening and UA All Star game. I know its not a deal breaker what so ever but, it is something that was mentioned. Keep in mind he was 100% Alabama until they went in a different direction simply because of the National Championship opportunity. He loves the big stage as you saw from the UA game.

At this point, no one has it in the bag and will need to work on getting him. The fact that Illinois is in the picture for Jeff is huge in my book.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 04:05 PM   #3249
CUWPC
Quote:
Yes they are unknown options as well. Let's see who presents the best case. I know Illinois offered his current QB however I believe there is not a lot of interest from him.

The statement is something HE shared after playing with several QB's at both Nike Opening and UA All Star game. I know its not a deal breaker what so ever but, it is something that was mentioned. Keep in mind he was 100% Alabama until they went in a different direction simply because of the National Championship opportunity. He loves the big stage as you saw from the UA game.

At this point, no one has it in the bag and will need to work on getting him. The fact that Illinois is in the picture for Jeff is huge in my book.
That's good to know. At the end of the day I don't blame him. His goal is to get to the NFL. What school provides the best opportunity. I don't see Illinois being in the picture with the old staff, but Lovie and co bring some NFL experience. Hopefully that's gives Illinois the edge. I don't see much NFL experience on the Miami staff.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 06:42 PM   #3250
Paignt It Orange
Reggie Roberson has cancelled his official visit to us.