Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:43 AM   #3251
illinidarrin
I believe every CB prediction on Thomas is for Miami now. That was quick.
illinidarrin is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:56 PM   #3252
JimmyTheLayup
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
I believe every CB prediction on Thomas is for Miami now. That was quick.
Huh? We still have 40% of his crystal ball.
JimmyTheLayup is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:07 PM   #3253
illinidarrin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheLayup View Post
Huh? We still have 40% of his crystal ball.
I've seen 6-7 today alone that went to Miami. That's not a good trend.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:09 PM   #3254
illinidarrin
Actually, it's 8 CB predictions for Miami. That's close enough to all.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:14 PM   #3255
blmillini
Quote:
Out of 25
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:17 PM   #3256
JimmyTheLayup
Banned
Quote:

We still have 40%.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:20 PM   #3257
CUWPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheLayup View Post
We still have 40%.
It's the ole where there's smoke thought. Miami getting the last 8 picks, plus the Illinois insider bing one of them. It's not looking good.
CUWPC is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:38 PM   #3258
JimmyTheLayup
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUWPC View Post
It's the ole where there's smoke thought. Miami getting the last 8 picks, plus the Illinois insider bing one of them. It's not looking good.

I'm not arguing otherwise. He said Miami had all of the picks, that's simply incorrect.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:43 PM   #3259
Title
Jeff is hasn't narrowed down his choice yet and it will come down to signing day. He has stated that he want to win a National Championship in his career so most will say Miami has the best chance. Until he visits, its all guessing at this point. I can tell you the QB pick this year is somewhat an Issue.
Title is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:50 PM   #3260
cmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Title View Post
Jeff is hasn't narrowed down his choice yet and it will come down to signing day. He has stated that he want to win a National Championship in his career so most will say Miami has the best chance. Until he visits, its all guessing at this point. I can tell you the QB pick this year is somewhat an Issue.
Can you explain a little more about your last sentence?
cmore is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:53 PM   #3261
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
He did narrow it down. He came out with a top 3 and Illinois was the only one in it.
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 02:56 PM   #3262
Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmore View Post
Can you explain a little more about your last sentence?
A WR wants to play with a QB that they know can get them the ball. Take a look at Ridley from Alabama. Although Hurts is very talented, getting WR the ball was somewhat of an issue.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 02:59 PM   #3263
Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
He did narrow it down. He came out with a top 3 and Illinois was the only one in it.
His head coach came out with a top three AT THAT TIME and Jeff eliminated a couple of those schools on Social Media. At the time of that interview, Tenn, and Oregon had not expressed interest in him and Miami thought he had shut the door on them with going to Alabama. Today, he is unsure where he will go and the visits will help him make his final decision.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:03 PM   #3264
CUWPC
Quote:
A WR wants to play with a QB that they know can get them the ball. Take a look at Ridley from Alabama. Although Hurts is very talented, getting WR the ball was somewhat of an issue.
I'm not comparing Miami QB recruiting to Illinois, but if Kaaya leaves they have unknown commodities just like Illinois. Lawson has a big arm and potential just like the Miami QB's. They have more options, but they are unknown options.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:43 PM   #3265
Title
Quote:
I'm not comparing Miami QB recruiting to Illinois, but if Kaaya leaves they have unknown commodities just like Illinois. Lawson has a big arm and potential just like the Miami QB's. They have more options, but they are unknown options.

Yes they are unknown options as well. Let's see who presents the best case. I know Illinois offered his current QB however I believe there is not a lot of interest from him.

The statement is something HE shared after playing with several QB's at both Nike Opening and UA All Star game. I know its not a deal breaker what so ever but, it is something that was mentioned. Keep in mind he was 100% Alabama until they went in a different direction simply because of the National Championship opportunity. He loves the big stage as you saw from the UA game.

At this point, no one has it in the bag and will need to work on getting him. The fact that Illinois is in the picture for Jeff is huge in my book.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 04:05 PM   #3266
CUWPC
Quote:
Yes they are unknown options as well. Let's see who presents the best case. I know Illinois offered his current QB however I believe there is not a lot of interest from him.

The statement is something HE shared after playing with several QB's at both Nike Opening and UA All Star game. I know its not a deal breaker what so ever but, it is something that was mentioned. Keep in mind he was 100% Alabama until they went in a different direction simply because of the National Championship opportunity. He loves the big stage as you saw from the UA game.

At this point, no one has it in the bag and will need to work on getting him. The fact that Illinois is in the picture for Jeff is huge in my book.
That's good to know. At the end of the day I don't blame him. His goal is to get to the NFL. What school provides the best opportunity. I don't see Illinois being in the picture with the old staff, but Lovie and co bring some NFL experience. Hopefully that's gives Illinois the edge. I don't see much NFL experience on the Miami staff.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 06:42 PM   #3267
Paignt It Orange
Reggie Roberson has cancelled his official visit to us.

Old Jan 11, 2017, 06:44 PM   #3268
illinidarrin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paignt It Orange View Post
Yeah, i saw that. It seems that our recruiting momentum is starting to slow down in a hurry. The Thomas stuff and now this.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 06:50 PM   #3269
ItsFootballTime
Quote:
That's good to know. At the end of the day I don't blame him. His goal is to get to the NFL. What school provides the best opportunity. I don't see Illinois being in the picture with the old staff, but Lovie and co bring some NFL experience. Hopefully that's gives Illinois the edge. I don't see much NFL experience on the Miami staff.
Big, big, big fish in a little pond

He can put up tons of numbers at Illinois

Plus like you said the NFL experience and connections.

With the potential talent we May get on offense the ILLINI could start putting up spread numbers in a pro set. Best of both world's. I know I know. Lawson will have to prove it and we have to get Thomas and Vaughn has to have a big year but The possibilities are sweet... ...
ItsFootballTime is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 06:53 PM   #3270
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paignt It Orange View Post
He already took his official visit to UI. This was an unofficial that got canceled. Still not encouraging.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 07:15 PM   #3271
LurkLongandProsper
Regarding Crystal Balls, I would suggest not putting stock into the "How many", and rather looking at the "Who". Wiltfong switching his is more noteworthy than the fact that 8 people did, especially because there are a flock of predictors who just match whatever Wiltfong, Simmons, Loy, etc. are predicting.
LurkLongandProsper is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 07:39 PM   #3272
ThreatLevelMidnight
It's been said many times before that the JT recruitment has been all over the place. Not even his HS coaches knew what his top schools were. This is one that's going to come down to signing day.

In regards to Roberson, he already used his official to Illinois back in october. Probably wants to use the remaining weekends before signing day to go see the other programs that are recruiting him. Illinois has been the leader for many months now.

It's going to be a long 3 weeks, but you have to trust in this staff and their ability to win recruiting battles.

Last edited by ThreatLevelMidnight; Jan 11, 2017 at 07:44 PM.
ThreatLevelMidnight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 07:42 PM   #3273
StateFarmCenter
Yeah judging by his Twitter, Illinois doesn't have much to worry about with Roberson
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 07:55 PM   #3274
LurkLongandProsper
Jake Paulson (TE) to Minnesota
LurkLongandProsper is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:08 PM   #3275
CUWPC
Add Jamal Woods to the visit list. Visiting 1/27. Not a great offer list but good size.

http://247sports.com/Player/Jamal-Woods-92556

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »