Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 09:43 AM   #151
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Plus he's got a Brian Cook jersey on at school today.
Sounds like he's giving Northwestern his answer already.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 09:48 AM   #152
nwebb1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga65 View Post
Was curious so did some research-

Name 3 pt %. 2 pt %. Ft %

Pickett. 33.8. 56.5. 63.5
Smith. 40.4. 61.9. 84.6
Tilmon. 62.4. 51.9
Goodwin. 35.4. 61.9. 54.6

FT shooting needs to be improved except Smith. Would like to have some sort of defensive stats other than blocks. Still believe that is where championships are won.
Where did you pull these stats from?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 09:59 AM   #153
Tevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Plus he's got a Brian Cook jersey on at school today.
Do you think Shaun Livingston (it was Livingston, right?) knows Illini fans still talk about the shirt he wore to school one day in 2003?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:22 AM   #154
IbleedOandB2014
In BU we trust
Heard the band played oskee wow wow after Edwardsville's win over ESL
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:30 AM   #155
618 Illini
Not claiming to be an insider but was previously told that Smith's mother said if he received a U of I offer he would commit there. State school close to home that he grew up watching. This info was prior to to current rise in interest from Northwestern, Pitt, Mizzou etc.

Also heard he has recent interest from IU and OSU as well but don't know how certain that is...
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:37 AM   #156
ivwilsoniv
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbleedOandB2014 View Post
Heard the band played oskee wow wow after Edwardsville's win over ESL
Isn't that their fight song?

Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:53 AM   #157
FiveStar
Just saw the video of Mark Smith's dunk to seal the victory vs east saint. I will say that I love that he goes to the rim to DUNK the ball. if you can't dunk it just lay it in when you get there, but going to the rim with that mindset is what gets and 1s and finishes through contact.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:53 AM   #158
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivwilsoniv View Post
Isn't that their fight song?
I am pretty sure their fight song is based on Illinois Loyalty, but if that's the case then I wouldn't be surprised if they had other Illini-based songs as well.

I went to HS at a rival school and it always made me sad to hear their band play "Illinois Loyalty" while our band played Notre Dame's "Victory March".
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:57 AM   #159
whatahack
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfeifale000 View Post
Edwardsville is known for padding their stats for top players. They usually come out with more assists than field goals made.
Maybe they score it like hockey and give two assists per goal......
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:03 PM   #160
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevo View Post
Do you think Shaun Livingston (it was Livingston, right?) knows Illini fans still talk about the shirt he wore to school one day in 2003?
That is actually a great question. I bet he wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about if you asked him who's jersey he wore the day before he committed.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:20 PM   #161
SescIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by 618 Illini View Post
Not claiming to be an insider but was previously told that Smith's mother said if he received a U of I offer he would commit there. State school close to home that he grew up watching. This info was prior to to current rise in interest from Northwestern, Pitt, Mizzou etc.

Also heard he has recent interest from IU and OSU as well but don't know how certain that is...
According to some he is only a worthy recruit if big time schools are recruiting him or his profile is on recruiting 247. I have two good eyes and I have seen him go off against the top 3 senior prospects not named Damonte. Hopefully they can go at it at Ubben one day.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:20 PM   #162
Esox
If Mark Smith knows about Brian Cook, he has been watching Illinois for a long time.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:36 PM   #163
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
If Mark Smith knows about Brian Cook, he has been watching Illinois for a long time.
He was probably something like 5 years old when Brian Cook last played at Illinois.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:42 PM   #164
JimmyTheLayup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
He was probably something like 5 years old when Brian Cook last played at Illinois.

3 or 4 I'd assume.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:42 PM   #165
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
I think it is a good offer. Classic kid who blows up his senior year. Already has a BT body, can handle it, shoot it, pass it. Other schools are starting to get involved. He already has a Kansas State offer. Louisville is involved. Northwestern. He is hearing from a number of schools now. The word is out, but many schools haven't seen him in person yet.
If there's any justice in the world, he'll give a verbal commitment to Louisville, but then on signing day quietly send his letter of intent to Illinois without informing the Louisville staff that he has done so.

Tweeting at @CPY87
Old Jan 4, 2017, 01:13 PM   #166
IlliniCards24
Another underlying part of this whole Mark Smith recruitment are the players coming out of the Southwestern conference and choosing Illinois. This area is producing some incredible basketball players right now with more on the way.

Hill
Liddell (offered)
Smith (offered)
Pickett
Tilmon

It is huge for these kids to see the players before them choose U of I and I hope it continues to trend in that direction.

I am also really high on Hargrove and I do think he is going to get a handful of D1 offers very soon.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 01:14 PM   #167
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
If there's any justice in the world, he'll give a verbal commitment to Louisville, but then on signing day quietly send his letter of intent to Illinois without informing the Louisville staff that he has done so.
Oooh, feel the burn! That would be epic. That said, I don't want the heartburn. A simple commitment will do just fine.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 01:27 PM   #168
TEYPAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Oooh, feel the burn! That would be epic. That said, I don't want the heartburn. A simple commitment will do just fine.
Don't you mean a signed LOI... we had a simple commitment and that didn't work out too well....
Old Jan 4, 2017, 01:39 PM   #169
ECETownie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Saw he wore a pre-rebrand Illini hoodie (gray with the circled I) to one of the games he attended recently. He must have had that since at latest 2012. Kid's a fan, no doubt.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 01:47 PM   #170
Ga65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwebb1 View Post
Where did you pull these stats from?
Stats.stlhighschoolsports.com
Old Jan 4, 2017, 01:49 PM   #171
rtbritt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Lawrence View Post
That is actually a great question. I bet he wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about if you asked him who's jersey he wore the day before he committed.
I bet he would.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 01:51 PM   #172
coryfor3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGFightingIllini18 View Post
Nate Latsch ‏@NateLatsch 2h2 hours ago
I'd be surprised if Mark Smith doesn't commit to Illinois. He's gone to at least two Illini games recently, including Braggin' Rights.
I wouldn't be so sure. It is pretty obvious that the major offers are rolling in now and he may want to wait and see what else comes in. Not sure how long he's willing to let the recruitment play out but if he waits to see where some more scholarships open with guys leaving school early or transferring, then there could be a real feeding frenzy.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 01:54 PM   #173
Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfor3 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. It is pretty obvious that the major offers are rolling in now and he may want to wait and see what else comes in. Not sure how long he's willing to let the recruitment play out but if he waits to see where some more scholarships open with guys leaving school early or transferring, then there could be a real feeding frenzy.
That would be awfully late in the school year. Not sure most kids want to wait until May or even June to decide. While it might give him more options it could also result in options he likes no longer being available.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 01:58 PM   #174
Madprof
Is it just me, but based only on highlights, does Mark Smith remind anyone else of IDKWTI? (New poster here, die hard fan since 1979, unfortunately living in Bloomington IN).
Old Jan 4, 2017, 02:07 PM   #175
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madprof View Post
Is it just me, but based only on highlights, does Mark Smith remind anyone else of IDKWTI? (New poster here, die hard fan since 1979, unfortunately living in Bloomington IN).
I could see that if you knock everything down a level. Like a poor mans version. Other dude was a Lebron level athlete who could drive and finish while also shooting to half court. Really an ideal player for webers motion. Like the #3 player in the country. He also would have been a lottery pick straight out of high school if they still did that. If smith focused totally on basketball full time from the beginning, I could see him matching everything on Idkwti except athleticism. As we've learned, that's kind of a difference maker
Closed Thread