Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

This is not the Illini football poster

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 34,926
Quote:
THE IMAGE OF ONE PROJECTS THE IMAGE OF ALL #ILLINI http://pic.twitter.com/jAnyZAShxC



http://twitter.com/coachbeckman
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:39 AM   #2
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,379
Whether it's the timing of this poster release, or the fact that not one of our current players are actually on the poster, all I can say about this is:

__________________
That's a winner!
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:48 AM   #3
KansasIllini
KansasIllini's Avatar
Posts: 1,253
At first glance, I'm kind of conflicted about it. On one hand, I feel like the official team poster should definitely feature the current season's players, or none at all, so I kind of echo trevdv's thoughts from that standpoint. On the other hand, I love them playing up all of the recent talent that has come through Champaign.
KansasIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:53 AM   #4
derekholcomb
Posts: 121
And look how many different uniforms we have!!!

I don't understand the saying, and I don't get the jets.
derekholcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Jeffers_10
#Oneofthe17
Jeffers_10's Avatar
Location: Riverton, Illinois
Posts: 363
I definitely don't get the saying, but I would think the jets are just a pre-game fly by image.

__________________
#WeWillWin
Jeffers_10 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:02 AM   #6
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 34,926
Update!

RT @IlliniDR @IllinoisLoyalty That's not the football season schedule poster.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:43 AM   #7
GilThorpe
Banned
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,112
whats not to get?

sell the sizzle, not the steak

we dont have any players to really hype right now, so you hype the players in the recent past who were 1st round picks.

you try to portay the program as one that produces stars.

I think its fine
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Illinnoying Orange
Illinnoying Orange's Avatar
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekholcomb View Post
I don't understand the saying
I take the saying as saying the program is trying to improve its standards and accountablility both on and off the field. I like it.
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:29 AM   #9
riffraff
riffraff's Avatar
Location: Peoria
Posts: 502
I see this as a great poster to send to potential recruits and schools. It highlights our success in producing first round draft picks recently (its been a long time since the NFL picked up the likes of Grange, Butkus, George, Hardy, Rice, etc.) and also the schedule of games a recruit can go see. I'm glad it's not the official team poster, of course, which should create fan excitement about the new season, but it's not bad to market the recruiting angle.
riffraff is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Illinnoying Orange
Illinnoying Orange's Avatar
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
I see this as a great poster to send to potential recruits and schools. It highlights our success in producing first round draft picks recently (its been a long time since the NFL picked up the likes of Grange, Butkus, George, Hardy, Rice, etc.) and also the schedule of games a recruit can go see. I'm glad it's not the official team poster, of course, which should create fan excitement about the new season, but it's not bad to market the recruiting angle.
Agreed. The poster MIGHT help with recruiting.

But I for one am tired of seeing how much NFL talent we have in our program and yet seeing us still be a bottom feeder team in the big 10 with them on the team.
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:56 AM   #11
AllAboutIllini
Banned
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinnoying Orange View Post
Agreed. The poster MIGHT help with recruiting.

But I for one am tired of seeing how much NFL talent we have in our program and yet seeing us still be a bottom feeder team in the big 10 with them on the team.
We really don't have that much talent in the NFL. With exception to David Diehl, who will NEVER be on a poster or billboard because of his pro-Chief Illiniwek comments (which makes him my favorite Illini in the NFL), the only other player is Josh Brent, and we can't have him on a poster in stripes. Vontae has become a journeyman and Whitney is going to be a brief afterthought if the Texans sign Reed.
AllAboutIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:04 AM   #12
frankfortillini
Banned
Location: Frankfort, IL
Posts: 1,383
Looking at that schedule is depressing. We'll get what, one win maybe?
frankfortillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:21 AM   #13
SCillini
Banned
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutIllini View Post
We really don't have that much talent in the NFL. With exception to David Diehl, who will NEVER be on a poster or billboard because of his pro-Chief Illiniwek comments (which makes him my favorite Illini in the NFL), the only other player is Josh Brent, and we can't have him on a poster in stripes. Vontae has become a journeyman and Whitney is going to be a brief afterthought if the Texans sign Reed.
Sorry, but you're wrong on most accounts here. We are middle of the pack, with MSU, Nebraska, and Purdue in terms of players in the NFL. Dave Diehl is one of the greatest ambassadors of UI football, so I agree with you that he might be excluded due to his outspoken Chief Illiniwek opinions. Calling Mercilus an afterthought because of Reed is ridiculous. Mercilus will be a 2nd year OLB, and Reed is a 12yr safety who hasn't even signed with Houston. What's there to compare between the two? Let's not forget T.Wilson, AJ, Asamoah, Allen, Cornell, Leshoure, M.Wilson, and Liuget who are all young in their NFL careers. For as bad as we've been, we've had considerable talent move on to the NFL.
SCillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:25 AM   #14
GilThorpe
Banned
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCillini View Post
Sorry, but you're wrong on most accounts here. We are middle of the pack, with MSU, Nebraska, and Purdue in terms of players in the NFL. Dave Diehl is one of the greatest ambassadors of UI football, so I agree with you that he might be excluded due to his outspoken Chief Illiniwek opinions. Calling Mercilus an afterthought because of Reed is ridiculous. Mercilus will be a 2nd year OLB, and Reed is a 12yr safety who hasn't even signed with Houston. What's there to compare between the two? Let's not forget T.Wilson, AJ, Asamoah, Allen, Cornell, Leshoure, M.Wilson, and Liuget who are all young in their NFL careers. For as bad as we've been, we've had considerable talent move on to the NFL.
to my knowledge, the 5 guys on the poster are the only ones this century that were 1st round picks in the NFL draft. thats the point the poster was really trying to make.
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:27 AM   #15
GilThorpe
Banned
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfortillini View Post
Looking at that schedule is depressing. We'll get what, one win maybe?
its not at all easy. ooc is itself difficult

3-4 wins should be looked at as a big improvement over last year. 2 wins right now, knowing all we do, would not surprise me.
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:02 PM   #16
SCillini
Banned
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
to my knowledge, the 5 guys on the poster are the only ones this century that were 1st round picks in the NFL draft. thats the point the poster was really trying to make.
I wasn't disputing the poster is highlighting 1st round picks. I was replying more to the statement that we haven't produced much NFL talent. For as bad as we've been on the field, we've produced consiberable NFL talent, and that hasn't changed recently. I also fail to see how you can compare Mercilus and Reed, or how you can already say that he's going to be bust.
SCillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:22 PM   #17
DrewD007
DrewD007's Avatar
Location: Woodridge, IL
Posts: 4,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCillini View Post
I wasn't disputing the poster is highlighting 1st round picks. I was replying more to the statement that we haven't produced much NFL talent. For as bad as we've been on the field, we've produced consiberable NFL talent, and that hasn't changed recently. I also fail to see how you can compare Mercilus and Reed, or how you can already say that he's going to be bust.
Illini in the NFL

Yeah we've put several guys in the NFL, will probably send at least 5 more this year (Buchanan, Foster, Hawthorne, Spence, Thornton).
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:12 PM   #18
TruTexan
Banned
Posts: 28
Diehl donated $400,000 for the new weight room in 2009/2010. Pretty sure he is welcomed with open arms.
TruTexan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:20 AM   #19
AllAboutIllini
Banned
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
to my knowledge, the 5 guys on the poster are the only ones this century that were 1st round picks in the NFL draft. thats the point the poster was really trying to make.
Thank you. That is what I intended to say.

And for the record, Whitney is a bust...coaches are already discouraged by his effort, his discipline, and if you don't mesh with Brian Cushing you are not going to be around very long. To say that we have talent in the NFL just because we have some trolls hanging on roster spots isn't what I think we all have in mind. When Illinois' own website can only herald 21 former players in the NFL and one of them is a punter, that isn't exactly a Simeon Rice/Kevin Hardy moment.
AllAboutIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:24 AM   #20
AllAboutIllini
Banned
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTexan View Post
Diehl donated $400,000 for the new weight room in 2009/2010. Pretty sure he is welcomed with open arms.
He may be welcomed, but you will not see him on any promotional materials. He is kryptonite to the to the media relations staff.
AllAboutIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:07 AM   #21
DrewD007
DrewD007's Avatar
Location: Woodridge, IL
Posts: 4,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutIllini View Post
Thank you. That is what I intended to say.

And for the record, Whitney is a bust...coaches are already discouraged by his effort, his discipline, and if you don't mesh with Brian Cushing you are not going to be around very long. To say that we have talent in the NFL just because we have some trolls hanging on roster spots isn't what I think we all have in mind. When Illinois' own website can only herald 21 former players in the NFL and one of them is a punter, that isn't exactly a Simeon Rice/Kevin Hardy moment.
What are you talking about? He had 6 sacks in a reserve role last year. He'll be the starting OLB this coming season with Connor Barwin going to the Eagles.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:18 PM   #22
Rich
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutIllini View Post
Thank you. That is what I intended to say.

And for the record, Whitney is a bust...coaches are already discouraged by his effort, his discipline, and if you don't mesh with Brian Cushing you are not going to be around very long. To say that we have talent in the NFL just because we have some trolls hanging on roster spots isn't what I think we all have in mind. When Illinois' own website can only herald 21 former players in the NFL and one of them is a punter, that isn't exactly a Simeon Rice/Kevin Hardy moment.
He had 6 sacks as a non-starter last year and they just lost Barwin. I think he'll be fine.
Rich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:38 PM   #23
Shief
Location: Springfield Area
Posts: 708
I'd love to see that be the/an alternate poster! Maybe even highlight the active Illini in the NFL too.
Shief is offline Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump