Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Conference Realignment Thread (Maryland & Rutgers join the Big Ten conference)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:24 PM   #776
champaignchris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasagna View Post
then i apologize if i come off as too idealistic, which i do admit to. i felt the same way about nebraska, but politics and money do have some influence i guess.
What part of Nebraska's and Rutgers' multi-hundred million dollar research endowments do you dislike? Because when the Big 10 head honchos are talking about "academic fit," that's what they're talking about. They could give a fig about USN&WR rankings.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:25 PM   #777
WingDinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblaisdell83 View Post
FSU to leave ACC and join another major conference

...and as mentioned, the lack of additional TV markets from FSU joining SEC when UF is already there
Lots of good stuff in this thread today.

Some obvious points:
FSU is far more valuable to the Big 12 than SEC
GT is far more valuable to the B1G than the SEC

Va Tech would help both but seem to favor...?

UNC would be really valuable to both the B1G and SEC. I'm strongly suspect the fans want the SEC but the academic wonks favor B1G.

As some have noted, Duke could be caught with its pants down. UVA too but that would be somewhat surprising.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:26 PM   #778
timmytao
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
I think you are pretty much the only person in the country who believes adding Rutgers was a "complete disaster"
i dont know if i would call it a "complete disaster," but i do not like the pick up......then again i dont care about tv viewers...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:28 PM   #779
illini80
I'm still one of about 5 people in the world who think this mega conference crap is exactly that. I'm sick of the money grab that it's all about. I'm pretty sure I know where a good chunk of that TV money is coming from. Subscribers.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:38 PM   #780
brosox
Banned
if i recall, UNC made an announcement the other day that it has no intention of leaving the ACC, so I really doubt that UNC will be coming to the Big. Yes, I know that these changes are all really made for football reasons, but the ACC will undoubtedly have the best basketball conference on the planet (UNC, Duke, Syracuse, ND, Pitt, L'Ville for starters) and UNC, like UI, is a basketball school. If you are looking for a "partner" for Georgia Tech, how about Miami? Unless I am mistaken, Miami is a pretty good school that would satisfy the educational interests of the Big and maybe its inclusion would help the BTN in Florida. Just a thought.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:39 PM   #781
TheSecretWeapon
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini80 View Post
I'm still one of about 5 people in the world who think this mega conference crap is exactly that. I'm sick of the money grab that it's all about. I'm pretty sure I know where a good chunk of that TV money is coming from. Subscribers.

I'm sure a majority of fans would prefer the B1G stayed at the original 10 teams.

But this is inevitable in college athletics, so you might as well be the one blazing the trail and grabbing the schools you want instead of scavenging for leftovers

Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:40 PM   #782
TheSecretWeapon
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosox View Post
if i recall, UNC made an announcement the other day that it has no intention of leaving the ACC, so I really doubt that UNC will be coming to the Big. Yes, I know that these changes are all really made for football reasons, but the ACC will undoubtedly have the best basketball conference on the planet (UNC, Duke, Syracuse, ND, Pitt, L'Ville for starters) and UNC, like UI, is a basketball school. If you are looking for a "partner" for Georgia Tech, how about Miami? Unless I am mistaken, Miami is a pretty good school that would satisfy the educational interests of the Big and maybe its inclusion would help the BTN in Florida. Just a thought.
undoubtedly?

MSU, UM, OSU, IU, PU, MD, GT, UW, ILL isn't too shabby

Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:43 PM   #783
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
if i recall, UNC made an announcement the other day that it has no intention of leaving the ACC, so I really doubt that UNC will be coming to the Big.
I'm sure they don't. But don't let the Louisville pickup distract you, the ACC is teetering on collapse right now. If Maryland doesn't have to pay the full exit fee, things will get really bad really fast for the ACC. If that happens, UNC is going to protect itself.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:47 PM   #784
ctblaisdell83
On the whole expansion issue...I'm all for making the right moves now to ensure B1G conference viability and strength (athletics, academics, impact, reach) for the long-term. And what's good for the B1G is good for UI.

If the changing landscape means we need to stay out in front by adding the best building blocks for that future, I prefer being in the lead to picking up pieces later

Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:48 PM   #785
IlliNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
My UC coworker is pretty nervous right now, if you take the big 6 BCS conferences from 2011, plus Notre Dame you have 67 teams, if you go to 4 16-team conferences, who gets left out?

Candidates are:
University of Cincinnati
UCONN
Kansas (poor football, no market)
Duke (poor football)

Not sure who else gets left out.
I think GaTech means that an 18 team conf is the end point for the B1G. Which would be very good news for 2 of these teams. Guessing B1G goes for UVA, Duke & UNC to round out the conf.

Disagree that KU isn't a prize--big alumni + Kansas City + national brand makes them a catch.

I'm just glad Illinois is in the monster conference--and not in one that gets eaten.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:50 PM   #786
IlliNYC
Quote:
if i recall, UNC made an announcement the other day that it has no intention of leaving the ACC, so I really doubt that UNC will be coming to the Big.
That announcement was an effort to placate the fans...think of it more as the dreaded vote of confidence than a statement of intention.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:53 PM   #787
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliNYC View Post
Disagree that KU isn't a prize--big alumni + Kansas City + national brand makes them a catch.
There's really nothing wrong with KU. It's just that currently the ACC adds make are a little stronger and make a bit more sense.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:56 PM   #788
jackman404
Banned
Quote:
I'm sure they don't. But don't let the Louisville pickup distract you, the ACC is teetering on collapse right now. If Maryland doesn't have to pay the full exit fee, things will get really bad really fast for the ACC. If that happens, UNC is going to protect itself.
To be fair, the ACC will not "die" as the WAC will. It will simply become the Big East with a new name. Even if UNC/FSU/Clemson/GTech leave, schools like UConn, Cincy, Navy, UCF, and USF would jump at an invite into the ACC. At that point, ESPN would probably renegotiate their TV contract to a much lower amount though.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:57 PM   #789
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman404 View Post
To be fair, the ACC will not "die" as the WAC will. It will simply become the Big East with a new name. Even if UNC/FSU/Clemson/GTech leave, schools like UConn, Cincy, Navy, UCF, and USF would jump at an invite into the ACC. At that point, ESPN would probably renegotiate their TV contract to a much lower amount though.
Right, that's technically correct. But what you're describing is a dead conference as far as UNC and UVA are concerned. They're already the low man on the TV totem pole.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:59 PM   #790
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Very skeptical of these GT rumors, at least as far as anything being imminent. I'm sure they are a target, but have to think that they (and UNC/UVA/whoever else) are going to wait to see how high of a price MD has to pay before they make any final decisions about leaving the ACC.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:59 PM   #791
champaignchris
I'm starting to think that this rumor isn't true.

One thing that bugs me is that if Ga Tech was that close to making the move, why go with Rutgers? Why not just wait for Tech and make MD and GT your 13 and 14?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:00 PM   #792
Illiniwek_2
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini80 View Post
I'm still one of about 5 people in the world who think this mega conference crap is exactly that.
+1

Guess I'm one of 5 people.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:00 PM   #793
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytao View Post
i dont know if i would call it a "complete disaster," but i do not like the pick up......then again i dont care about tv viewers...
Fair enough, but that is a significant consideration to the decision makers.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:05 PM   #794
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by champaignchris View Post

One thing that bugs me is that if Ga Tech was that close to making the move, why go with Rutgers? Why not just wait for Tech and make MD and GT your 13 and 14?
Because the end game is 15 and 16 and you want the NYC market too?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:07 PM   #795
IlliNYC
Quote:

I think it's definitely true that this is a consideration with mutual interest.

Rutgers is the key to the whole thing. RU solidifies Philly market, brings the NJ cable market & helps get NYC.

My guess is that the B1G will be a 18 Team Midwest-MidAtlantic Conference.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:07 PM   #796
brosox
Banned
Quote:

I am guessing it was the desire to get the BTN on all those tv sets in new jersey and new york. by the way, if GT does come, is there any thought that the BIG should go after UConn to try to nail down the New England market? Of course, while I suggest that I am also asking myself why the ACC hasn't shown any interest in UConn, so maybe it isn't a good fit.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:11 PM   #797
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
I am guessing it was the desire to get the BTN on all those tv sets in new jersey and new york. by the way, if GT does come, is there any thought that the BIG should go after UConn to try to nail down the New England market? Of course, while I suggest that I am also asking myself why the ACC hasn't shown any interest in UConn, so maybe it isn't a good fit.
UConn is a bit of smoke and mirrors. I know their basketball program (with Calhoun) was great and they've got a BCS berth to their name, but think of how young that football program is. I'm also not sure how much of New England they would reel in outside of Connecticut.

The ACC showed all kinds of interest in UConn - that spot was theirs and Louisville took it from them.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:14 PM   #798
JSpence
#conferencevulture !
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:22 PM   #799
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
I'm also not sure how much of New England they would reel in outside of Connecticut.
Very little interest in college football out here.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:23 PM   #800
ctblaisdell83
Quote:
UConn is a bit of smoke and mirrors. I know their basketball program (with Calhoun) was great and they've got a BCS berth to their name, but think of how young that football program is. I'm also not sure how much of New England they would reel in outside of Connecticut.
Certainly UConn BBall is a bit of a regional brand here, but there is no similar level of interest for UConn football, even within the state. And we all know that FBall is the big revenue sport in these calculations
Closed Thread