Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Conference Realignment Thread (Maryland & Rutgers join the Big Ten conference)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:58 PM   #851
MikeThomas4Prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
People keep mentioning this, but they won a share of the football national championship in 1990 and their basketball team is usually competitive. I would think they would be squarely in the middle of the B1G were they to join.
Some people are too caught up in the past couple years. People forget Maryland won a NC in basketball about ten years ago (more recent than any B1G team IIRC). Not to mention that giving kids a chance to go to a B1G school in their area can open doors for their recruiting. And more money put into their Athletics departments.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:01 PM   #852
frankfortillini
Banned
And people forget, Virginia is an outstanding school as well. That would seal the DC/MD market too.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:02 PM   #853
MikeThomas4Prez
FWIW, and because Im extremely bored, Penn State guy on Twitter saying Va Tech instead of Virginia or Ga Tech. I say 0% truth to it, but he claims "sources"

Quote:
PJ Mullen ‏@psuPJ According to someone very high up G-tech and Virginia seem to be rumors. Va-tech more likely to Big Ten.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:04 PM   #854
frankfortillini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThomas4Prez View Post
FWIW, and because Im extremely bored, Penn State guy on Twitter saying Va Tech instead of Virginia or Ga Tech. I say 0% truth to it, but he claims "sources"
I agree - VT is a better SEC fit - no way they'd head to the B1G, nor would the B1G want them.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:07 PM   #855
twincityillini
Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia and triple-option GT. Exciting.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:09 PM   #856
MikeThomas4Prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfortillini View Post
I agree - VT is a better SEC fit - no way they'd head to the B1G, nor would the B1G want them.
I personally would love to have Va Tech. They add a power in football (despite their down year). But they dont have a large market near by, and that is clearly what Delaney is going after.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:09 PM   #857
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThomas4Prez View Post
Virginia Tech isn't AAU so highly doubt it.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:11 PM   #858
MikeThomas4Prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Virginia Tech isn't AAU so highly doubt it.
Yeah, that too.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:29 PM   #859
chief4life
Chief Supporter
Don't know why, but I've always liked Virginia (maybe its the colors or maybe the ESPN appearance for lacrosse or the way they just took it from us I. The MicronPC.com bowl) but I would be fine with them over North Carolina. I don't mind seeing UNC gets stuck in the leftover conference. I do think UNC brings more of a brand and some of the Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham market, but northern VA is growing a lot. Easy change in my chart.

Long live the Chief.

Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:44 PM   #860
mattcoldagelli
VT is not on the table. UVA would be a fantastic add.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:11 PM   #861
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
I would personally be fine with adding Virginia and Georgia Tech, but I have to be honest, the Georgia Tech addition bums me out a bit. Not because I don't think they are a smart addition for the conference, but I really like the idea of all schools being in contiguous states. Obviously, money is going to win out at the end of the day, just a little disappointing that there is always going to be this one area that doesn't quite fit. I wish we had held out on Rutgers. I don't think we would have any problem with getting into NYC tv's with the additions of Maryland, Virginia and two of UNC, Ga. Tech and ND (which is never going to happen re: ND).

Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:12 PM   #862
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
And neither Va Tech or Miami will ever be members of the B1G. I am pretty confident of that.

Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:04 AM   #863
DaytonIllini
Banned
I think if you were trying to shake the tree and get the big fish to come to you, it would be smart to leak that your last two spots are about to be taken.

Could be an interesting weekend.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:57 AM   #864
ctblaisdell83
One thing about UVa, I notice their alumni are pretty passionate about athletics and academics, and they are spread out around the country. I have run into far more UVa grads over the last 30 years than UNC grads (from living on both coasts and in business). They remind me of Michigan fans that way (tho not as insufferable)
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:56 PM   #865
katu06
Considering how bad our team is at football over the last, say, 60 years... and residents of our state don't really care about Illini Football, does anyone get nervous that maybe one day we might get removed for a team that will provide more value?

I realize that Illinois is the 5th largest state in the union, so there are a ton of eyes here... but what are they chances that someday the B1G drops us and Indiana for, say, ND and Texas? If I was a betting man, my money would be on ND providing more households than Illinois.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:03 PM   #866
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by katu06 View Post
Considering how bad our team is at football over the last, say, 60 years... and residents of our state don't really care about Illini Football, does anyone get nervous that maybe one day we might get removed for a team that will provide more value?

I realize that Illinois is the 5th largest state in the union, so there are a ton of eyes here... but what are they chances that someday the B1G drops us and Indiana for, say, ND and Texas? If I was a betting man, my money would be on ND providing more households than Illinois.
If any school would be worried it'd be Northwestern.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:06 PM   #867
mattcoldagelli
Quote:

The chances are zero.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:52 PM   #868
IndyIllini40
Quote:

This Brings up a good point. What would the value of the Illini brand be to conferences if we were unaffiliated currently? I think the answer is quite a bit. The number 5 state in terms of population and we would bring the 3rd largest TV market. We would also bring a chuck of the St. Louis market. We own the middle of the state and have a huge far flung alumni base.

We would have been picked by SEC before Mizzou.
We would have been picked before WV by the Big 12
We would have been picked before Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville by ACC

We would be that pick by any conference that the talking heads would say is "not that sexy", but wow do they bring a ton of revenue for the conference.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:41 PM   #869
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyIllini40 View Post
This Brings up a good point. What would the value of the Illini brand be to conferences if we were unaffiliated currently? I think the answer is quite a bit. The number 5 state in terms of population and we would bring the 3rd largest TV market. We would also bring a chuck of the St. Louis market. We own the middle of the state and have a huge far flung alumni base.

We would have been picked by SEC before Mizzou.
We would have been picked before WV by the Big 12
We would have been picked before Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville by ACC

We would be that pick by any conference that the talking heads would say is "not that sexy", but wow do they bring a ton of revenue for the conference.
You're right, Illinois might be a very attractive target if we were unafilliated. Illinois has a huge alumni base,is a lot of eyeballs in front of TV sets. The B1G knows this and would never boot a founding member, including NU, but I agree with most of your thoughts here.

I have serious doubts that the SEC would ever admit a school from a state that fought against the Confederacy. Some might think that silly and a remnant of the 19th or early 20th century, but I would suggest that's a mindset you're dealing with quite a bit in SEC country. I would also doubt that in this hypothetical situation that Illinois would move to the SEC, mostly due to the relatively low academic standards of the majority of SEC schools. Big XII maybe, and ACC possibly, but I don't see it as anything we have to worry about, since the BTN is the golden goose right now.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:47 PM   #870
DaytonIllini
Banned
Quote:

No chance a B1G school gets kicked out but if two had to go they would be Northwestern and Purdue in terms of lowest value teams. After that I would guess Iowa and Minnesota.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:17 PM   #871
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:

:laugh:
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:36 PM   #872
katu06
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
No chance a B1G school gets kicked out but if two had to go they would be Northwestern and Purdue in terms of lowest value teams. After that I would guess Iowa and Minnesota.
My gut feeling is the same Dayton, that it would never happen, but with the way things are going in college athletics it wouldn't surprise me if many years down the road, we start to see conference members getting removed for being dead weight.

Good call on the weak links. Purdue, NU, and Iowa can't possibly provide a ton of households for the BTN.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:37 PM   #873
U of I 89-05-10
Banned
Quote:

Good thing you're not a betting man, because that's one of the stupidest things I've seen typed. There are polls done EVERY YEAR of who the most popular NCAAF team is in the Chicago area, and Illinois wins every year. By a lot. I see you're from Downstate, so I'm sure you know that support for the Illini is even better outside of Chicagoland. It just screams insecurity that any Illini fan wouldn't realize all we bring to the table.

You seriously think GT and UVA and UMD are more valuable to conferences than UI is?! We are a great school, have boatloads of research money, bring in a ton of revenue when you take into account just how horrible we are at football (hence the sleeping giant tag), would immediately get BTN on basic cable in both the Chicago and St. Louis markets (obviously it already is; this is hypothetical), we're the flagship school for the conference's largest state and we have one of the largest alumni bases in the country (i.e., a lot of fans). Do we suck at football to the point that we're a laughing stock? Yes. Are we Texas, OSU or Michigan? Clearly not. But UI is very valuable to this conference.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:47 PM   #874
WinOrElse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
You're right, Illinois might be a very attractive target if we were unafilliated. Illinois has a huge alumni base,is a lot of eyeballs in front of TV sets. The B1G knows this and would never boot a founding member, including NU, but I agree with most of your thoughts here.

I have serious doubts that the SEC would ever admit a school from a state that fought against the Confederacy. Some might think that silly and a remnant of the 19th or early 20th century, but I would suggest that's a mindset you're dealing with quite a bit in SEC country. I would also doubt that in this hypothetical situation that Illinois would move to the SEC, mostly due to the relatively low academic standards of the majority of SEC schools. Big XII maybe, and ACC possibly, but I don't see it as anything we have to worry about, since the BTN is the golden goose right now.
You're right about that. Maybe if we called ourselves the Fighting Yankees and had a likeness of 'ol Abe on our helmets they'd be more receptive. :laugh:
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:10 PM   #875
2old2remember
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansaint View Post
so i wonder who will be sweet #16?
Think North Carolina
Closed Thread