Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Conference Realignment Thread (Maryland & Rutgers join the Big Ten conference)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:39 AM   #1426
Joel Goodson
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensboro View Post
I agree that joining ACC never turns out like ND had hoped, but don't agree on Swarbick making a nice move...think letting ND in as a part member is turning out to be a very weak move & may have increased discord & sped things up, and at the very least has highlighted how bad a position the ACC is in.
C'mon. Put yourself in ND's shoes. Your "conference" (BE) is about to collapse. You need to find a home for your sports, but you're going to maintain your football independence until the bitter end. What're your options? Not the BIG, it's all sports or none. The SEC? No. The B12? Maybe, but the ACC is a much better fit.

Now, if your argument is that ND's move to the ACC was a catalyst for Delaney & the BIG, sure, I buy that.
Joel Goodson is offline
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:08 PM   #1427
Serious Late
Serious Late's Avatar
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Posts: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
C'mon. Put yourself in ND's shoes. Your "conference" (BE) is about to collapse. You need to find a home for your sports, but you're going to maintain your football independence until the bitter end. What're your options? Not the BIG, it's all sports or none. The SEC? No. The B12? Maybe, but the ACC is a much better fit.

Now, if your argument is that ND's move to the ACC was a catalyst for Delaney & the BIG, sure, I buy that.
I think the New Big East is the perfect fit for Notre Dame to put all their non-football athletics into. Once that conference is established, I expect it will be very stable, as there really won't be any better conference for those teams to go to.

It would give ND stability in a strong athletic conference, and allow them to continue to operate as independents in football.

The only argument I have heard against that is the suggestion that ND won't be able to fill a football schedule with quality opponents stemming from this re-alignment. I don't buy that. I think ND could easily fill its schedule by finding teams looking for one non-conference toughie per year.

I agree with the other poster, having ND as a partial member in the ACC does nothing for the stability of that conference. It only further drives a wedge into it.

__________________
One word... Consistency.
Serious Late is offline
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:02 PM   #1428
Joel Goodson
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Late View Post
I think the New Big East is the perfect fit for Notre Dame to put all their non-football athletics into. Once that conference is established, I expect it will be very stable, as there really won't be any better conference for those teams to go to.

It would give ND stability in a strong athletic conference, and allow them to continue to operate as independents in football.

The only argument I have heard against that is the suggestion that ND won't be able to fill a football schedule with quality opponents stemming from this re-alignment. I don't buy that. I think ND could easily fill its schedule by finding teams looking for one non-conference toughie per year.

I agree with the other poster, having ND as a partial member in the ACC does nothing for the stability of that conference. It only further drives a wedge into it.
There wasn't a C7/new BE when ND was making their decision.
Joel Goodson is offline
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:15 PM   #1429
GilThorpe
Banned
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Late View Post
I think the New Big East is the perfect fit for Notre Dame to put all their non-football athletics into. Once that conference is established, I expect it will be very stable, as there really won't be any better conference for those teams to go to.

It would give ND stability in a strong athletic conference, and allow them to continue to operate as independents in football.

The only argument I have heard against that is the suggestion that ND won't be able to fill a football schedule with quality opponents stemming from this re-alignment. I don't buy that. I think ND could easily fill its schedule by finding teams looking for one non-conference toughie per year.

I agree with the other poster, having ND as a partial member in the ACC does nothing for the stability of that conference. It only further drives a wedge into it.
see my earlier post naming all of ND's other sports. the C7 would likely not be able to offer ANYTHING for most of them. Inner city catholic universities traditonally are very narrow when it comes to varsity sports they offer - like 1 sport each for men and women in each season
GilThorpe is offline
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:54 AM   #1430
IntenselyOrange
Posts: 4,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
C'mon. Put yourself in ND's shoes. Your "conference" (BE) is about to collapse. You need to find a home for your sports, but you're going to maintain your football independence until the bitter end. What're your options? Not the BIG, it's all sports or none. The SEC? No. The B12? Maybe, but the ACC is a much better fit.

Now, if your argument is that ND's move to the ACC was a catalyst for Delaney & the BIG, sure, I buy that.
I think the point was that by ND getting special treatment, Maryland was much happier to leave. Thus ND caused some of the instability of the ACC.
IntenselyOrange is offline
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:40 AM   #1431
GilThorpe
Banned
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
I think the point was that by ND getting special treatment, Maryland was much happier to leave. Thus ND caused some of the instability of the ACC.
seriously, I doubt ND "joining" the ACC had alot to do with it.

It was pure $$. Md will make alot more, and alot sooner, in the B1G then staying in the ACC . And they need the money for sports badly.
GilThorpe is offline
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:27 PM   #1432
Joel Goodson
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
seriously, I doubt ND "joining" the ACC had alot to do with it.

It was pure $$. Md will make alot more, and alot sooner, in the B1G then staying in the ACC . And they need the money for sports badly.
+1
Joel Goodson is offline
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:29 PM   #1433
Joel Goodson
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 6,346
C7 becomes the C-ish10: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7897661.story
Joel Goodson is offline
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:22 PM   #1434
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 35,334
$20M-30M B1G travel subsidy for the Terps.
Quote:
Maryland deal included multimillion-dollar travel subsidy from Big Ten

The University of Maryland's deal to join the Big Ten includes not only the lucrative annual payouts that all members receive, but also a significant concession obtained by the school — a subsidy worth tens of millions of dollars from the conference to offset athletic teams' anticipated higher travel costs, according to multiple sources.

The subsidy, which Maryland was promised in negotiations with the conference late last year, made an already appealing offer of Big Ten membership even more attractive to the school.

Since financial details of the agreement are kept private — the amount of the subsidy is not publicly available. But the amount is in the range of $20 million to $30 million, according to sources familiar with the deal.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/t...,1297978.story
Dan is offline
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:13 AM   #1435
GilThorpe
Banned
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
$20M-30M B1G travel subsidy for the Terps.
are we to assume that Rutgers was not able to negotiate this deal, probably because they ran into the room to sign the papers to join so fast they forgot? :laugh:
GilThorpe is offline
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:20 AM   #1436
Joel Goodson
Joel Goodson's Avatar
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
are we to assume that Rutgers was not able to negotiate this deal, probably because they ran into the room to sign the papers to join so fast they forgot? :laugh:
Yep. I'd be shocked if the BIG gave Rutgers a travel subsidy.
Joel Goodson is offline
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:51 PM   #1437
jeffs
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
are we to assume that Rutgers was not able to negotiate this deal, probably because they ran into the room to sign the papers to join so fast they forgot? :laugh:
I'd be curious about a relationship to the ACC exit fee.
jeffs is offline
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:52 AM   #1438
Greensboro
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
C'mon. Put yourself in ND's shoes. Your "conference" (BE) is about to collapse. You need to find a home for your sports, but you're going to maintain your football independence until the bitter end. What're your options? Not the BIG, it's all sports or none. The SEC? No. The B12? Maybe, but the ACC is a much better fit.
Not saying ND had a better option...but moving to the ACC because it is your best option doesn't qualify as a big move. ND has enough clout that it will hang onto independence for a while longer...but it's options are reducing as conferences realign.
Greensboro is offline
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:00 PM   #1439
Clemens
Posts: 353
I guess I will put this here since it applies to the reasons for moving east with the B10.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/30...al-cable-model

In the interview Aereo's CEO suggested that consumers will eventually pay one or two dollars per month for the TV they really want.

If cablevision wins this lawsuit, viacom and eventually the B10 network will be paid based on the number of subscribers that actually ask for and subscribe to the B10 network rather than a set amount per television set serviced by the cable provider. This would really disrupt Delany's model for increasing revenue.
Clemens is offline
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1440
DaytonIllini
Banned
Posts: 13,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemens View Post
I guess I will put this here since it applies to the reasons for moving east with the B10.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/30...al-cable-model

In the interview Aereo's CEO suggested that consumers will eventually pay one or two dollars per month for the TV they really want.

If cablevision wins this lawsuit, viacom and eventually the B10 network will be paid based on the number of subscribers that actually ask for and subscribe to the B10 network rather than a set amount per television set serviced by the cable provider. This would really disrupt Delany's model for increasing revenue.
This is the way TV should work. Sort of the ap model that Apple trotted out for phones and the isolated song model they have for iTunes.
DaytonIllini is offline
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:58 PM   #1441
troyk
Banned
Posts: 1,165
We can put any GT or UVA rumors to rest -

http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-y...-agreement.php
troyk is offline
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:37 PM   #1442
illini92024
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 50
I'm amazed if the vote is unanimous. This has done nothing to increase the ACC's paltry TV contract, and without a better FB product revenue won't improve much even if they get a network. With the obvious discontent among some current members who want to leave either because of money, lack of competition or just inner conference political squabbling, why leave yourself no options. Just look at Maryland after being tied into the $50M agreement that they didn't agree with.

Either expansion is over for the foreseeable future or it's just getting interesting.
illini92024 is offline
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:36 PM   #1443
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 35,334
Closing this thread to shift the realignment talk over to the new thread-

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...ad.php?t=19856

ACC Grant of Rights talk within that thread can be found here-

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...169#post737169
Dan is offline
Closed Thread
Thread Tools

Forum Jump