Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 07:42 PM   #2326
skyIdub
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrasta2 View Post
Jerry Meyer just put a prediction in for Dosunmu to the Illini
But, but....it's Thursday?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 07:58 PM   #2327
ILLinoize92
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyIdub View Post
But, but....it's Thursday?
Page views must be down over at 247sports
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:01 PM   #2328
STLIlliniMike
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILHoff View Post
I'm not sure what Parker and Okafor have to do with Hill's high school career. Goodwin won a state championship, a runner up at state, finished ranked as the 51st composite player in the country, along with being a more productive player stat-wise. I saw him go toe to toe with the number 3 pick in this year's NBA draft. I appreciate what Hill did at Illinois, but Goodwin is the best player out of Belleville. Sorry he didn't pick Illinois, but we'll be fine without him.
Parker and Okafor matter because they are 2 of the most highly toughted kids to come out of Illinois in the last ten years and the only reason Malcom wasn't Mr Basketball. We can agree to disagree but I still feel like considering the numbers and all the success Malcom was able to have here saying Goodwin is already the best player to come out of Belleville is utterly ridiculous.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:14 PM   #2329
ballislife17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILHoff View Post
I'm not sure what Parker and Okafor have to do with Hill's high school career. Goodwin won a state championship, a runner up at state, finished ranked as the 51st composite player in the country, along with being a more productive player stat-wise. I saw him go toe to toe with the number 3 pick in this year's NBA draft. I appreciate what Hill did at Illinois, but Goodwin is the best player out of Belleville. Sorry he didn't pick Illinois, but we'll be fine without him.
I'll settle this. It's Goodwin because Malcolm Hill is from Fairview Heights, not Belleville. Debate over.

Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:46 PM   #2330
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLIlliniMike View Post
Parker and Okafor matter because they are 2 of the most highly toughted kids to come out of Illinois in the last ten years and the only reason Malcom wasn't Mr Basketball. We can agree to disagree but I still feel like considering the numbers and all the success Malcom was able to have here saying Goodwin is already the best player to come out of Belleville is utterly ridiculous.
Numbers and stats in college can't be compared since Goodwin has not played a single college game yet. So if this is a comparison based on college stats or beyond, that comparison would only be able to be made when Coodwin finishes college. Or as pros, when they both finish their careers.

The only direct comparison that could be made right now, would be based on their HS careers. As much as like Malcolm, Goodwin achieved much higher success in HS and ended up higher ranked than Malcolm on national rankings. Goodwin did have a better HS career.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:18 PM   #2331
TCTORNADO
RSCI Finals:

Hill #70
Goodwin #50
Old Jun 30, 2017, 05:16 AM   #2332
Chathamillini
I think you also have to take in to account the quality of the athletes in that years class. I think in Malcolm's senior year the overall quality of the entire class would have an effect on both ranking awards. Malcolm had two high NBA draft picks in front of him. Goodwin had none. Obviously Goodwins not a one and done. I just think trying to compare by awards an accolades isn't fair because of variances year to year.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 06:26 AM   #2333
ILHoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chathamillini View Post
I think you also have to take in to account the quality of the athletes in that years class. I think in Malcolm's senior year the overall quality of the entire class would have an effect on both ranking awards. Malcolm had two high NBA draft picks in front of him. Goodwin had none. Obviously Goodwins not a one and done. I just think trying to compare by awards an accolades isn't fair because of variances year to year.
That's fair. I don't know why Okafor and Parker have anything to do with Hill. Hill never played against them. Goodwin played much tougher competition in the area than Hill since the teams are much better now. Althoff still plays East, West, Edwardsville, and East St. Louis plus Chaminade and St. Joseph's his junior and senior year. He's played against Morgan Park and Chicago Curie. Goodwin went toe to toe with Tatum, Michael Porter Jr. (one of the few teams to beat him over the summer), and Diallo (Goodwin won that matchup). I love Hill, but Goodwin had a better career through high school. Comparing Hill's college career to Goodwin's high school career is apples to oranges.

I will say this, and I'm sure we all agree on this, Mark Smith is better than Jordan Goodwin.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 06:46 AM   #2334
illinitiger
aside from Hill and goodwin banter, albeit somewhat entertaining...any real recruiting news or discussion out there?

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk
Old Jun 30, 2017, 08:39 AM   #2335
7yearillini
The data indisputably establishes that had Goodwin committed to the Illini he would have been better than Hill. Because he did not, it's really not even close. If only someone explained that data to him before he chose SLU...
Old Jun 30, 2017, 08:55 AM   #2336
Adnarel
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yearillini View Post
The data indisputably establishes that had Goodwin committed to the Illini he would have been better than Hill.
You've hit the nail on the head.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 09:21 AM   #2337
skyIdub
Old Jun 30, 2017, 09:24 AM   #2338
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chathamillini View Post
Mark Smith hopes he has one.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 09:27 AM   #2339
IlliniCaboose

Last edited by IlliniCaboose; Jun 30, 2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:32 AM   #2340
TCTORNADO
Quote:
The data indisputably establishes that had Goodwin committed to the Illini he would have been better than Hill. Because he did not, it's really not even close. If only someone explained that data to him before he chose SLU...
Clearly, Goodwin's Mom did not like Groce.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:16 AM   #2341
Dan
Admin
Is E.J. Liddell state's best high school player?
http://www.suntimeshighschoolsports....lled-notebook/

Mario McKinney mentions making an Illinois visit "soon"
https://twitter.com/UIHoopsRecruits/...73583231909888
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:17 AM   #2342
7yearillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Clearly, Goodwin's Mom did not like Groce.
It's ok because she is among the only people on the planet that would not fit in Underwood's system.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:18 AM   #2343
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
It's ok because she is among the only people on the planet that would not fit in Underwood's system.
She and Tilmon, apparently.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 02:49 PM   #2344
TCTORNADO
tOSU offers THT.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 05:21 PM   #2345
IlliniBrave75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
tOSU offers THT.
Well they are going to need some players...
Jeremy Werner Retweeted

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN 14m

Gonna be a tough year for new Ohio State coach Chris Holtmann. Freshman Braxton Beverly granted his release and Derek Funderburk dismissed.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 07:24 PM   #2346
Smacko
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniBrave75 View Post
Well they are going to need some players...
Jeremy Werner Retweeted

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN 14m

Gonna be a tough year for new Ohio State coach Chris Holtmann. Freshman Braxton Beverly granted his release and Derek Funderburk dismissed.
There is a reason they had to put some serious term on that contract for Holtmann. Not gonna be a quick turnaround because the shelf is pretty bare right now and the roster is THIIIIIN.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 09:17 PM   #2347
TriCityBurbs
buckeyes better hope they can replace their s&c coach soon...1 long term injury and they have 7 scholarship guys on their roster...i think Williams/KBD/J'sean Tate nucleus is nice to have though. see them winning...4 games max in conference with a favorable schedule?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 08:18 AM   #2348
Captain Bubbles
I don't know where all this talk about Hill and Goodwin came from, but this needs to be buried. It's all in the past. The focus is now.

Has anyone heard how EJ's visit yesterday went? Hoping for some positive vibes soon.

Old Jul 1, 2017, 08:22 AM   #2349
Captain Bubbles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityBurbs View Post
buckeyes better hope they can replace their s&c coach soon...1 long term injury and they have 7 scholarship guys on their roster...i think Williams/KBD/J'sean Tate nucleus is nice to have though. see them winning...4 games max in conference with a favorable schedule?
For players that have not yet committed and are looking for a place where playing time is up for grabs, Columbus is it. A great coach and playing in a tough conference should also be a big draw. The S&C coach should not be in the discussion. Recruiting players for the upcoming season is their priority.

Old Jul 1, 2017, 08:33 AM   #2350
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bubbles View Post
For players that have not yet committed and are looking for a place where playing time is up for grabs, Champaign is it. A great coach and playing in a tough conference should also be a big draw. The S&C coach should not be in the discussion. Recruiting players for the upcoming season is their priority.
FYP
Closed Thread