Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

2017 White Sox

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Feb 15, 2017, 02:42 PM   #1
Bailey
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL in IA View Post
Do we just hold steady with the 2016 thread? Or like Hahn with Quintana, were waiting for the right offer to come around and make a move to the 2017 version.
The day after pitchers and catchers report seems as good a day as any.

I'll be heading down to Camelback Ranch next weekend. Very interested to see some of the new kids up close.
Bailey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2017, 03:11 PM   #2
ILL in IA
Location: Tiffin, IA
Posts: 1,175
In a strange way this is as excited as I've been about White Sox spring training in a long time. I have no doubt this team will try its best to lose 100 game this year. But I think Ricky is the guy to help get these young guys going in the right direction.


My hope is they can move Q some time soon. I think Frazier, Abreu, Melky, and Robertson are all mid season guys to go.
ILL in IA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2017, 03:22 PM   #3
IntenselyOrange
Posts: 4,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL in IA View Post
In a strange way this is as excited as I've been about White Sox spring training in a long time. I have no doubt this team will try its best to lose 100 game this year. But I think Ricky is the guy to help get these young guys going in the right direction.


My hope is they can move Q some time soon. I think Frazier, Abreu, Melky, and Robertson are all mid season guys to go.
They're not going to try to lose 100, we're all just hoping that they are bad enough to lose 100 . But, that requires moving the guys you point out. Unfortunately there seems to be no market for the three hitters and as I suspected, we're not getting fair market value for Q and have been forced to hold him.

I think the best case scenario for the Sox is that a contender loses a front of the rotation starter in spring training and is compelled to go for Q. If not, we hold for the deadline and get what we can.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2017, 03:31 PM   #4
ILL in IA
Location: Tiffin, IA
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
They're not going to try to lose 100, we're all just hoping that they are bad enough to lose 100 . But, that requires moving the guys you point out. Unfortunately there seems to be no market for the three hitters and as I suspected, we're not getting fair market value for Q and have been forced to hold him.

I think the best case scenario for the Sox is that a contender loses a front of the rotation starter in spring training and is compelled to go for Q. If not, we hold for the deadline and get what we can.
Correct, the players wont to try to lose that many. Hahn just needs to make it happen. Better to win 65 games than 75. games.


As soon as I heard Reyes was getting an MRI I thought Q to the Cards could work out. Then I looked at the Cards farm system....
ILL in IA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2017, 04:38 PM   #5
Bailey
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
Unfortunately there seems to be no market for the three hitters and as I suspected, we're not getting fair market value for Q and have been forced to hold him.
The rumor is that a deal was in place twice for Q only to have the rugged pull out by somebody's ownership.
Bailey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 07:15 AM   #6
IntenselyOrange
Posts: 4,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
The rumor is that a deal was in place twice for Q only to have the rugged pull out by somebody's ownership.
I've heard that rumor. I've also heard that teams are not willing to give up even close to the package we received for Sale. I've specifically heard that teams are willing to give up volume of good prospects but are not willing to include the elite prospects for Q. For a guy with his success and his contract, getting a couple of uber-prospects is essential.

But everyone tells us these rumors to fit their agenda. It's tough to know what is true. But, I'll add, that if an ownership balked I'd guess it was the other ownership. I firmly believe, and I said this after the Sale deal, that getting what we deserve for Q will be tough because even though front office guys know how good he is, owners and fans are stupid. And the GM needs to sell the deal to the owner and fans.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 09:44 AM   #7
ILL in IA
Location: Tiffin, IA
Posts: 1,175
Dan Plesac was on the Score yesterday, and he thinks a team like Houston is going to realize soon that then need to go out and get a 1 or 1A type starting pitcher if they want to compete. I think they will get Q at some point.
ILL in IA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 06:13 PM   #8
IntenselyOrange
Posts: 4,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL in IA View Post
Dan Plesac was on the Score yesterday, and he thinks a team like Houston is going to realize soon that then need to go out and get a 1 or 1A type starting pitcher if they want to compete. I think they will get Q at some point.
I hope he's right. I think our best hope, and it's a terrible thing to hope for, but our best hope is for a front-line starter to go down on a contender. We need a team to be desperate. I thought Pittsburgh was going to be that team, but I no longer feel that way.

I just hope someone makes a move for Q. I need the conversation to change from building our system to just anxiously waiting for the guys to make an impact. Good grief. I've spent the last two years watching my two favorite teams (Illinois basketball and the White Sox) toil below mediocrity with no real sign of light at the end of the tunnel. I would be so happy if we could get the directions of both teams changed before the end of April.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 06:15 PM   #9
IntenselyOrange
Posts: 4,514
On a more positive note, what are people looking forward to with the Major League club this year. The only two players I'm really looking at are Anderson and Rodon. I might be interested in seeing what Tilson can do in CF. Perhaps I'll get interested in Saladino if he can show a bit of improvement.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 08:14 PM   #10
Bailey
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
On a more positive note, what are people looking forward to with the Major League club this year. The only two players I'm really looking at are Anderson and Rodon. I might be interested in seeing what Tilson can do in CF. Perhaps I'll get interested in Saladino if he can show a bit of improvement.
Besides what you mentioned:

Miguel Gonzalez. The magic of Don Cooper, I guess. He learned the fabled cut fastball when he got to town, and suddenly is another example of a Coop restoration project. Should he continue to look the part of mid rotation starter come the deadline, we might have another valuable trade asset on our hands.

Omar Narvaez. Flashed some surprising plate discipline in the 2nd half last year. I don't even know if he's going to get the starting job out of camp, but I'm interested to see what he can do with a full load.
Bailey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:36 AM   #11
ILL in IA
Location: Tiffin, IA
Posts: 1,175
Agree with Anderson and Rodon. Id like to see Anderson take a step forward in being able to hit at the top of the order. I know he wont completely change and start walking a ton, but he has to be better. Rodon needs to find the strike zone more often. Id like to see what a decent catcher behind the plate does for him as well. Rodon, Q, and Sale got no help with getting calls last year.


Outside of those 2 I'm looking forward to what could be the development of our future pitching staff and the lock down of the 7th 8th and 9th innings. IF everything goes according to plan (that rarely happens where everyone pans out) we have the make up of a great 1-4 (Rodon, Giolito, Kopech, Lopez). And I think the combo of Fulmer (in my mind he will be a bullpen guy) Burdi and Jones can be killer to end games.
ILL in IA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 08:04 PM   #12
2DEEP
Posts: 201
Burdi- I think this kid will be major cog in our bullpen.
BTW- I love what Rick Hahn is doing, not giving in on Q. We are not going to settle for what other teams WANT to give us.
2DEEP is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 08:18 PM   #13
Bailey
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL in IA View Post
Outside of those 2 I'm looking forward to what could be the development of our future pitching staff and the lock down of the 7th 8th and 9th innings. IF everything goes according to plan (that rarely happens where everyone pans out) we have the make up of a great 1-4 (Rodon, Giolito, Kopech, Lopez). And I think the combo of Fulmer (in my mind he will be a bullpen guy) Burdi and Jones can be killer to end games.
There's some other arms in the org that could play big time roles in the near future. Nobody has squared up Spencer Adams since he's become a pro. I think he's our #3 of the future.

Alec Hansen is who I'm most excited to see when I travel down to spring training. The quick synopsis on him - was thought of as a possible 1st overall pick before his senior season at Oklahoma. Lost his command. Fell to the Sox at 49. Apparently found his stuff in the minors last year and nobody could touch him - he was dominant. Looking forward to Cooper working with him.

Dane Dunning was the least heralded name in the Eaton trade, but I'm continuing to hear rave reviews about his makeup. Here's a snippet I particularly enjoyed with a link:

Quote:
Dunning has the repertoire and command to move quickly through the White Sox system over the next two seasons. His fastball has average velocity, generally ranging from the upper 80s to the low 90s, but itís about as easy to lift as a bowling ball when it comes in with heavy arm-side bore.
https://2080baseball.com/2017/02/2017-orgrev-chw/
Bailey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:35 PM   #14
ILL in IA
Location: Tiffin, IA
Posts: 1,175
So my first problem is looking at comment sections. But it is still amazing to me how many "fans" don't understand what the Sox are doing right now with this rebuild.
ILL in IA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2017, 01:07 PM   #15
IntenselyOrange
Posts: 4,514
Lots of guys in the minors to be interested in. Hansen is certainly one of them. Moncado is another. Keith Law dropped him quite a bit based on a few MLB at bats. I want to see if that was right. The other guy I'm really interested in is Collins. I'm interested in learning if he can stick behind the plate.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2017, 01:27 PM   #16
Bailey
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
Lots of guys in the minors to be interested in. Hansen is certainly one of them. Moncado is another. Keith Law dropped him quite a bit based on a few MLB at bats. I want to see if that was right. The other guy I'm really interested in is Collins. I'm interested in learning if he can stick behind the plate.
That 2080 eval I linked above was the harshest I've seen regarding this
Bailey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2017, 03:51 PM   #17
IntenselyOrange
Posts: 4,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
That 2080 eval I linked above was the harshest I've seen regarding this


Most aren't that harsh, but it's questionable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump