Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

NCAA Tournament: Illini Volleyball falls to Hawaii 3-1 in the Sweet 16

Old Nov 29, 2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Update - watch the Illini Sweet 16 match vs Hawaii tonight 7:00pm online!

http://all-access.cbssports.com/play...a&media=157829

NCAA Women's Volleyball Tournament announced today, Illinois is hosting 1st and 2nd rounds at Huff again this season.

* Tournament bracket (pdf)
* Tournament bracket (flash page)

Illini vs IPFW Thurs Dec 3 7pm, winner gets the winner of Dayton vs Milwaukee, Friday Dec 4. Milwaukee was Illinois' first round opponent last season. If Illinois advances to the Sweet 16, they'll play the Regional finals in Stanford, CA.

Go Illini!

Last edited by Dan; Dec 11, 2009 at 04:42 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Thacher_H_Guild
Here are my quick thoughts on the brackets...

The most obvious thing is Illinois being sent to the Stanford Regional (if they make it that far) will probably make it really hard to win their region--Stanford will probably be waiting in that final (and they would obviously get to play at home). If Illinois can make the regional final, I think we'd have to call it a GREAT year. (Go Illini!)

The committee obviously went out of their way to reward host cities. Minny got to stay in the Minneapolis regional, Nebraska is in the Omaha one, Florida in Gainesville, and Stanford in Stanford. As much as I love Huff Gym, I have to wonder if someday Illinois can get that advantage if we can just get a new "Olympic Sports" arena.

The committee also was far more influenced by the RPI than rankings. Last time I looked, Florida State was ranked #15, but their RPI was #3. The committee gave them the #3 seed overall.
Thacher_H_Guild is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 03:43 PM   #3
BRucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thacher_H_Guild View Post

The most obvious thing is Illinois being sent to the Stanford Regional (if they make it that far) will probably make it really hard to win their region--Stanford will probably be waiting in that final (and they would obviously get to play at home). If Illinois can make the regional final, I think we'd have to call it a GREAT year. (Go Illini!)

The committee obviously went out of their way to reward host cities. Minny got to stay in the Minneapolis regional, Nebraska is in the Omaha one, Florida in Gainesville, and Stanford in Stanford. As much as I love Huff Gym, I have to wonder if someday Illinois can get that advantage if we can just get a new "Olympic Sports" arena.

The committee also was far more influenced by the RPI than rankings. Last time I looked, Florida State was ranked #15, but their RPI was #3. The committee gave them the #3 seed overall.
Better Stanford than Penn St., Texas or Florida. I like this draw.
BRucks is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 04:59 PM   #4
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Dang! I have an exam Thursday night, but hopefully I'll be there friday! Overall time? I think so!
danielb927 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:33 PM   #5
ijustkrushalot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thacher_H_Guild View Post

Even though the marketing department failed miserably with Spike The Record, I would think that event showed that Assembly Hall can be a pretty solid venue to use for a bid to host Regionals in the next year or two...

While the committee is clearly rewarding host cities (only way they can turn a profit on this tournament and get decent crowds)... the cities they pick for regionals aren't exactly shocking either.... it is the home court of major programs that draw well and are likely to advance to regionals.

Hopefully Illinois can get into that spot, because having 4 home games in December would help us get to the Finals quite a bit.

Illinoisan Out Wandering Around
ijustkrushalot is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:51 PM   #6
ilphotog
The camera never lies
Illinois needs to draw around 4,000 for every home game, just from being there at Huff this year I would guess a 1500 average in attendance, Huff is just not a good facility, the Assembly Hall would be a great place to host, but scheduling problems would always be an issue with other events at the Hall during this time period.
I just wonder if Illinois could ever draw enough, we have a top 5 team and still haven't picked up much attendance this year, but with a new building with easier access who knows.
ilphotog is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 05:01 AM   #7
Thacher_H_Guild
Illinois averaged 3100 fans in 1992 in Huff. That was after a run of about six years when they were very good consistently. I would think that attendance will pick up again if they stay in the top 10 for a couple years and win a Big Ten title. (In the last decade, they have occasionally been very good, but they haven't done anything like win a Big Ten title.)

If Illinois could get back to 3100, that would put them in the top 10 nationally in attendance. http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/auto_pdf...ndanceRankings

Oh, we are in the top 15 already, but the difference between the top handful and everyone else is big.

Huff is not that convenient, and it has lost parking since 1992, but it's really about the same as the Nebraska Coliseum in terms of age and convenience, and they've had more than 100 straight sell outs (and season tickets go for like $200). I think the biggest difference is not fan interest but 30 years of sustained excellence. (Also, their football program has generated enough revenue that they have been able to fix up their old building a bit more, but it's still the same era as Huff.)
Thacher_H_Guild is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 07:56 AM   #8
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
The only bad thing about the draw that I see is that we are on the same side of the bracket at Penn State. I think a Final Four is doable, but our chances of making the championship game are virtually nil, now.

Old Dec 1, 2009, 06:18 AM   #9
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illini volleyball excited to face new competition in postseason

With the regular season over, the Illinois volleyball team will encounter a different atmosphere and fresh faces as it begins the NCAA Championships, hosting the Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne Mastadons at Huff Hall on Thursday before a possible second round matchup against the winner of Milwaukee and Dayton on Friday.

“That’s one of the exciting things about this tournament,” junior Hillary Haen said. “We basically don’t know anything about the teams that we are going to face. It means we have less to be afraid of, but also that we have a lot of work cut out for us.”

dailyillini.com
Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:31 AM   #10
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Prediction:

Illini win 3-0.

Old Dec 3, 2009, 01:51 PM   #11
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Volleyball hope matches at home will aid post-season performance

The Illini open their NCAA Tournament campaign tonight at 7 p.m., with their 24-5 regular season record giving them the luxury of hosting the first two rounds of the tournament at Huff Hall, which head coach Kevin Hambly thinks will be invaluable.

“I think it’s a huge advantage to be hosting,” Hambly said.

“I’m thrilled. I think we’re going to have this place rockin’ and it’s going to be a huge home-court advantage. We’re hoping the crowd will help us get one win at a time.”

dailyillini.com
Old Dec 3, 2009, 02:21 PM   #12
ChiSoxIllini82
Lets go Lady's!

Old Dec 3, 2009, 02:22 PM   #13
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
Prediction:

Illini win 3-0.
+1

<-- preparing to fire up the gametracker
Old Dec 3, 2009, 02:32 PM   #14
3G Illini
Good to see six Big Ten teams in there, esp. since the league boasts Penn State and Illinois. And it's always good to see Hillary Haen.
3G Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 03:31 PM   #15
3G Illini
OK, now, this photo of the Mastodons is just not right!

http://www.gomastodons.com/

Last edited by 3G Illini; Dec 3, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 03:40 PM   #16
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3G Illini View Post

wow

:laugh:
Old Dec 3, 2009, 03:59 PM   #17
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:

I don't know. They seem pretty happy to me!

Old Dec 3, 2009, 04:14 PM   #18
lotsofnrg324
By the way, they are streaming the game live for FREE on fightingillini.com

Go to: http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...9-central.html

and click on the Video link under Live Coverage. The match before Illinois-IPFW is streaming now.
lotsofnrg324 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 04:14 PM   #19
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Wish I could go!!! Chemistry...
danielb927 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 04:17 PM   #20
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofnrg324 View Post
By the way, they are streaming the game live for FREE on fightingillini.com

Go to: http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...9-central.html

and click on the Video link under Live Coverage. The match before Illinois-IPFW is streaming now.
Thanks lotsofnrg324
Old Dec 3, 2009, 06:19 PM   #21
Dan
Admin
GAME ON, watch now:

http://all-access.cbssports.com/play...a&media=156388
Old Dec 3, 2009, 07:25 PM   #22
Dan
Admin
Illini with an easy 3-0 win tonight, they'll take on Dayton (30-3) tomorrow same time (7:00pm CST), same place (HUFF).
Old Dec 3, 2009, 08:41 PM   #23
3G Illini
Glad the Girls got it done with no trouble.

Sent the unfortunate photo of the Mastodons to my sister, who's a VB coach down near St. Louis (and played herself in HS). She thought it'd be a good object lesson to show around so their own team doesn't make the same mistake come picture time.

Yeah.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 09:18 PM   #24
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
Quote:
Glad the Girls got it done with no trouble.

Sent the unfortunate photo of the Mastodons to my sister, who's a VB coach down near St. Louis (and played herself in HS). She thought it'd be a good object lesson to show around so their own team doesn't make the same mistake come picture time.

Yeah.
:laugh: Best laugh I've had in awhile. And yet they display it on their web site. On the other hand, what should we expect from a bunch of Mastodons? You'd think it would be so clear, even a Caveman wouldn't do it.
OrangeFever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:34 PM   #25
3G Illini

Yeah, I'm thinking about making this my desktop, it's so funny. I laugh out loud every time I see it. :laugh:

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »