Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Bruce Pearl out at Tennessee -- Committed violations in March 2011

Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:53 AM   #576
Obelix
I am not sure you will find a person with bigger disdain for Pearl than I have, excluding obviously Deon and Jimmy.

But I have nothing against Craft. I like him actually and give him credit for his playing effort.

I actually believe that the Craft family with their statements and talking to NCAA actually may have helped the case against Pearl. Obviously, I do not have all the facts so I may be wrong, but I thought the following quote was very telling:

Quote:
During a subsequent telephone call, Pearl reminded John Craft that it was a violation of NCAA legislation for his family to have attended the cookout, and that Pearl gave John Craft a choice to attend the cookout. Pearl's conversation with John Craft caused John Craft to believe that Pearl was trying to influence John Craft's statements to the NCAA enforcement staff.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:56 AM   #577
IlliniBond
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SISB View Post
it's gotta kill illini fans that pearl has become, without any argument, a vastly superior coach to weber.

Pearl has always lied and cheated to get his players - if that makes him a superior coach to Weber than you can keep him - nobody with integrity wants a cheater as their coach.
IlliniBond is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:29 PM   #578
SaltLife
Banned
NCAA accuses Tennessee of rules violations

Quote:
The NCAA has charged Tennessee with at least a dozen rules violations committed by the university’s basketball and football programs. Included in the allegations after the NCAA’s 22-month investigation are charges that coach Bruce Pearl acted unethically and failed to monitor compliance activities by his basketball staff. Former Volunteers football coach Lane Kiffin is also charged with failing to monitor his staff. Kiffin is now at Southern California.
The notice, which was received by Tennessee on Tuesday and released Wednesday, did not include potential sanctions. USC also received notice outlining the charges against Kiffin.
Tennessee has until May 21 to respond to the NCAA’s allegations and is expected to appear at a June 10-11 meeting of the Committee on Infractions.
SaltLife is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:50 PM   #579
illiniracers
What I love is the fact that just four days after he "sincerely" cried about what he had done he went and talked to a recruit from Oak Hill before his practice. It happens all the time in basketball but its still illegal and he did it four days after his emotional appeal....SCUMBAG
illiniracers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:29 PM   #580
89illinigrad
Gary Parrish thinks Pear could get a "show cause" coaching ban...

Pearl's punishment will not be the same as Calhoun's.

Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:34 PM   #581
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SISB View Post
it's gotta kill illini fans that pearl has become, without any argument, a vastly superior coach to weber.
I have never been a big fan of the banning but that quote alone should involve extensive jail time. Either that or mental evaluation for competency at a minimum.

Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:38 PM   #582
weasel88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I have never been a big fan of the banning but that quote alone should involve extensive jail time. Either that or mental evaluation for competency at a minimum.
He was banned somewhere around noontime today.
weasel88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:40 PM   #583
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel88 View Post
He was banned somewhere around noontime today.
Yes. I was suggesting that in this case, simple banning is not enough!

Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:53 PM   #584
NV Illini 74
I do not understand how Pearl was not ousted, either by TN or the NCAA, immediately upon admitting that he knowingly, with forethought, made the unpermitted calls, and had the recruits over to his house.

That he later tried to cover this up is further reason for immediate termination.

And, finally, that he subsequently admitted to trying to cover this stuff up by misleading the NCAA, is another standalone reason for immediate termination.

How he pleads his case like an innocent victim, and gets away with this (except for some guys like Parrish), is amazing.

And yet, he is still coaching now, and no action is planned until after this year's dance. TN should be banned from this year's dance, but won't be.
NV Illini 74 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:11 PM   #585
zhawks
I called out DickyV today... must have struck a nerve somewhat because he actually responded...

http://twitter.com/#!/DickieV/status/40501821013229569
Quote:
Bruce Pearl will survive @ Tenn due to his success & equity he has built - NCAA I believe will be tough due to the issue over integrity!
http://twitter.com/#!/zstocker/status/40502716233035776
Quote:
@DickieV love to know you're ok with cheating as long as winning is involved. Remind me not to hire you.
http://twitter.com/#!/DickieV/status...34629622484992
Quote:
@zstocker That is absurd I was stating a fact as to why Pearl has survived- thanks.
http://twitter.com/#!/zstocker/status/40535403664515074
Quote:
@DickieV then answer me this: he's been cheating since he's been at #iowa why do you sports writers continue to turn a blind eye?
I'm sure nothing will come of it... but I'd love an answer to my last question.

Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:38 PM   #586
mongoose74
Banned
I always have thought that bruce Pearl was a snake. I dont know what happened between him and Aaron craft , but from what I understand because of his shadiness the Illini have to contend with him for another three years. Instead of him going to Tennessee.
mongoose74 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:21 PM   #587
AzIlliniFan
I hope this is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89illinigrad View Post
Outside of my dislike for Pearl because of the Illini connection, on the basis of past rulings I just don't see how the NCAA can penalize him any less than the 2year ban. At least without appearing cowardly and unfair.
AzIlliniFan is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:19 AM   #588
Southernillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose74 View Post
I always have thought that bruce Pearl was a snake. I dont know what happened between him and Aaron craft , but from what I understand because of his shadiness the Illini have to contend with him for another three years. Instead of him going to Tennessee.
I'm glad Craft didn't go to Tennessee. I'd rather have to deal with him at OSU than see the snake with a winner like that on his squad.
Southernillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:23 AM   #589
wpr
After all the build up and anticipation of Pearl getting severely punished if he walks away with nothing more than a slap on the writ I will be crushed.
wpr is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:31 AM   #590
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Bruce Pearl Cheated 4 Days After Teary Apology, Promise

Four days after Pearl apologized for lying to NCAA investigators while tearfully telling Tennessee fans,”I will not let you down again,” he committed what is a clear NCAA violation.

There seems to be a pattern developing here.

sportsbybrooks.com
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:45 AM   #591
NV Illini 74
Man, what a baseball player Pearl would be!

I mean, "STRIKE 5", "STRIKE 6", "STRIKE whatever" and he's allowed to still stand up there, waiting to hit the game winner.

NV Illini 74 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:36 AM   #592
89illinigrad
Another article on Pearl.

I find this particularly interesting:

“Unethical conduct” charges are serious business. As in death penalty serious. ESPN.com’s Dana O’Neil did the legwork yesterday to find that of the last 20 “unethical conduct” cases to go before the NCAA’s penalty panel, 19 resulted in at least a two-year show cause penalty.

Bye-bye Pearl. Rot in hell scumbag.

Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:50 AM   #593
Obelix
I was listening to rivals radio this morning and to my delight they had pretty much a whole segment dedicated to it. Their feeling was that he may not (and should not) survive. The difference is that he did not only cheat (a lot of other coaches have) but he lied and tried to cover it up. What made it even worse is that he tried to influence assistants and families of recruits to lie to the NCAA as well.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:26 AM   #594
zhawks
Maybe the Milwaukee Bucks need another Assistant Coach?

Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:42 AM   #595
4LaCosaNostra
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhawks View Post
Maybe the Milwaukee Bucks need another Assistant Coach?
4LaCosaNostra is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:08 PM   #596
Tron2010
It appears that the Vol Nation faithful are changing their tune for the support of their beloved coach. After 20 years its apparent that sweet redemption will be coming your way Bruce. Somewhere, Mr. Henson is smiling!
Tron2010 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:21 PM   #597
Southernillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Bruce Pearl Cheated 4 Days After Teary Apology, Promise

Four days after Pearl apologized for lying to NCAA investigators while tearfully telling Tennessee fans,”I will not let you down again,” he committed what is a clear NCAA violation.

There seems to be a pattern developing here.

sportsbybrooks.com
wow. He gone and never coming back now.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:27 PM   #598
HoopBoss
OK ........ get ready. Cameras rolling.

Man (Pearl) getting out his car.

Man (Pearl) coming up to the door. Knocks.

( Girls yells "C'mon in. I baked cookies and I need to change. )

Man steps into house and goes into kitchen.

New man steps out of hallway and says, "Hi, I'm Chris Hansen, have a seat over there for me."

Next we see man running away in Orange Creamscicle sport coat, getting tackled by NCAA police.

He's handcuffed, interviewed and allowed to keep on coaching.......... Huh

Urrrrrrrrrr ......... it was all a dream ? ? ?
HoopBoss is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:29 PM   #599
Southernillini
Not a bad idea Boss. We need to float this one to NBC. Instead of a 14 year old girl, it could be a boy who is really good at basketball. He could proposition college coaches from all over to see who takes the bait.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:30 PM   #600
borange
I just listened to an interview with Jimmy Collins on XM radio. He is so gracious. He took the route of class and compassion for the players and fans of UT. He seems comfortable with the way his career went but wishes Pearl would have been man enough to talk to him directly about the "word on the street". He said he feels bad for the damage done to the U of I.

The talking heads were calling for the firing of Pearl. I have to agree.
borange is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »