Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Poor clock management again...Zook

Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Pasadena
Banned
After allowing another special teams blunder Zook topped it off with his usual lack of clock management. With 42 seconds left, Zook lets the clock run down to nearly 13 seconds. WE HAD ALL 3 TIMEOUTS! Why not stop the clock? Minn. couldn't get a first down. Why? How many times do we continually see this? Can't anyone be an advisor to help Zook? He obviously is not capable of doing this himself.
Pasadena is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:53 PM   #2
illinijimbo
Zook is obviously trying to get fired.
No other way to explain it.

leaving timeouts on the board in the second half of a game you lose by 4 is a fireable offense...
illinijimbo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:49 PM   #3
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinijimbo View Post
Zook is obviously trying to get fired.
No other way to explain it.

leaving timeouts on the board in the second half of a game you lose by 4 is a fireable offense...
Unless you are the head coach at Illinois, where nobody cares enough to fire you.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:10 AM   #4
chamillionaire
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
Unless you are the head coach at Illinois, where nobody cares enough to fire you.
+1
chamillionaire is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:06 AM   #5
KBLEE
It all started at the end of the first quarter. We had a 3rd and long inside our own 10 with :11 and the clock stopped. With the wind blowing as hard as it was, I told my buddy that we better not let the clock run out so we have to switch ends. Scheelhaase drops back and is sacked. I scream "timeout", but to no avail. We switch ends and Santella kicks 26 yard punt into the wind and Minny starts at the Illini 32. Better execution or the use of a timeout would have saved the Illini 30+ yards easy.
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:53 AM   #6
NicelyDone
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamillionaire View Post
+1
Zook is the perfect head football coach for a basketball school.............
NicelyDone is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:25 AM   #7
IlliniHoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
It all started at the end of the first quarter. We had a 3rd and long inside our own 10 with :11 and the clock stopped. With the wind blowing as hard as it was, I told my buddy that we better not let the clock run out so we have to switch ends. Scheelhaase drops back and is sacked. I scream "timeout", but to no avail. We switch ends and Santella kicks 26 yard punt into the wind and Minny starts at the Illini 32. Better execution or the use of a timeout would have saved the Illini 30+ yards easy.
It seems like this crap happens every other weekend and I find myself screaming at the television; this is Football 101. I mean if Petrino is calling the plays, what is Zook doing?
IlliniHoot is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:58 AM   #8
WOLFE
Really. We are that desperate to blame TOs for the loss? Come on man! This was the worst team in the BT! Defense was the reason, why I don't know but that is two awful games in a row. AdAm Weber gets a 30 yard run on 3rd and 9 that was the bone head play of the game. Weber didn't have 100 rushing yards all year and got 30 on 1 play. Should have intercepted that pass and it would have seAled it. Should
Ads some kind of goalline stand like we did against better teams. Time outs were not the downfall of the game. Defense, or lack there of was! If we don't make a bowl with 4 chances Zook is gone, if we make a bowl he stays IMHO

Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:43 AM   #9
Groundhogday
A good coach finds ways to win games that you don't deserve to win. Yes the defense let us down. But there are a lot of small decisions a coach can make that will make a marginal difference... just enough to change a loss to a win in a close game.

Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:50 AM   #10
SaltLife
Banned
Another 4th down call before Minnie's last drive that Zook failed to make, thinking our defense would stop them. Ha Ha. Minnie scored, took the lead and Illinois had not enough time left. Of course they mismanaged whatever time they did have but it was too late.
SaltLife is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:42 AM   #11
Oskeefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife View Post
Another 4th down call before Minnie's last drive that Zook failed to make, thinking our defense would stop them. Ha Ha. Minnie scored, took the lead and Illinois had not enough time left. Of course they mismanaged whatever time they did have but it was too late.
Agreed, if the offense makes a 1st down (late) vs. scUM or Minn and we have a win. need a little more guts at gut-check time. IMHO
Oskeefan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 03:44 PM   #12
Pasadena
Banned
Groundhog is exactly right. I thought about this game while I was running today down at the Rose Bowl and just thought to myself there were so many chances to still win this game. A good coach can and should find ways to beat teams that should be beaten. Little things here and there make huge differences in close games. The timeouts didn't single handedly lose us the game of course but it's one of the small battles in management that Zook lost that day.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:41 PM   #13
Groundhogday
Wow, Loren Tate did all but call for Zook to be fired in today's chat. I've posted a few responses below, but there is more.

http://www.illinihq.com/chats/2010/1...hat__am_monday

Quote:
Rob, a week ago, he indicated it might have been a mistake not to go for 4th-and-1 near midfield with 5-plus minutes to go. And he did the same thing. So this isn't a spur-of-moment decision on his part, it is his philosophy. His clock management at the end of the quarter and end of the game were mind-boggling. When a guy doesn't get it, he doesn't get it. And yet, Illinois could have won. It was very close both days. Loren
Quote:
My only point is that there is more to being athletic director than picking a football coach, that Guenther has done wonders in other areas, that I thought for sure Guenther was going to make a football change at the end of last season, and he fooled me when he didn't. That doesn't mean I want to get rid of Guenther. But I still think something needs to be done relative to football. Loren
Quote:
Bill, I think Guenther believed he could get past Zook's weaknesses by hiring good assistants, and he spent $800,000 on two coordinators. It worked up to a point. Loren

Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:33 PM   #14
Illini88
Banned
Quote:
...Guenther believed he could get past Zook's weaknesses by hiring good assistants, and he spent $800,000...
This is AKA throwing good money after bad.
Illini88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:51 PM   #15
Pasadena
Banned
Wow! Sounds like the papers are listening to the boards here! Zook will have to win this weekend or he will be relieved after our game with Fresno State. Petrino and Vic were obviously brought in to compete with the soon to be vacancy at head coach. Zook was probably left for a year to bring in some good recruits. Hope I'm wrong. Both of the last games were ours had we just used some brains and gone after a couple first downs. Stupidity says run the ball against 8-9 man fronts. Never did we try boots in either situation. Losing to Minnesota will really have the team reeling in the confidence dept. The young kid "Blade" needs to find a way to win Sat. He as well as the team has seen two games slip through their fingers. Don't let it be three.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:49 PM   #16
blmillini
I don't think the hiring of the two coordinators was a waste. You can't deny that we have been better than you would have expected after last year.

It has also been painfully obvious that Zook can't even handle the limited responsibilities he has remaining. So, the wasted money is in Zook's contract, not the coordinators. My preference would be to simply not see Zook at the games or the practice field. The waterboy could make better game day decisions.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:10 PM   #17
illinijimbo
that chat with tate was fantastic....
illinijimbo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:41 PM   #18
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinijimbo View Post
that chat with tate was fantastic....
Anybody want to call Tate a homer now? He called it like it is. If Loren's off the Zook wagon, the ice has to be getting mighty thin under his feet.
OrangeFever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:52 PM   #19
BMD48
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
A good coach finds ways to win games that you don't deserve to win. Yes the defense let us down. But there are a lot of small decisions a coach can make that will make a marginal difference... just enough to change a loss to a win in a close game.
Thus the importance of your head coach being a legitimate coach! You called me crazy earlier this year for worrying about Zook staying here. I think you are a good guy so I won't let ya have it. I understood your thinking, just didn't agree with it.
BMD48 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:32 AM   #20
4ever
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFever View Post
Anybody want to call Tate a homer now? He called it like it is. If Loren's off the Zook wagon, the ice has to be getting mighty thin under his feet.
Fev my friend. I have stayed silent in reference to Coach Zook. I was hopeful that he would actually succede. I was hopeful with the new addittions and complete transformation of the program that finally we would get back to winning and might even be a powerhose. I was so very hopeful. I threw my full support behind coach. I sure hoped Illini Football might someday become an tOSU, Alabama, USC etc etc. It looks like it's not going to happen under Coach Zook. I did give it my all and I held out hope but the end is here. It's time to go. Best of luck to ya Coach Zook. I still like you and I feel bad that it didn't work out but it's time to go.

He Gone. It's for the best and maybe, just maybe, this football program will get where it needs to be.

GO ILLINI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

note--I still like the guy and I won't bash him. It's just time.
4ever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:22 AM   #21
KJKobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasadena View Post
Zook will have to win this weekend or he will be relieved after our game with Fresno State.
I wouldn't hold your breath or recommend putting your money on that to happen should we lose this weekend.
KJKobs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:22 AM   #22
KJKobs
Tate: Don't give Zook the hook just yet

Quote:
You folks left me numb after two hours of it on "Monday Morning Quarterback" (WDWS) and two more hours of an IlliniHQ.com chat that ended with 25 more haranguing questions unanswered.

There must be thousands of clock managers (like me) who believe they can do it better, thousands of second-guessers who'd run on fourth and 1, and many more thousands for whom Saturday's 38-34 loss to Minnesota marked the end of their patience. Illini Nation hasn't been this vociferously up in arms since the Gary Moeller days.

To which, after a 1:30 lunch to calm frayed nerves, my approach: It's never good to make big decisions when the blood pressure is boiling. Let's wait until the season is over ... and then tear down the goal posts with complaints and storm the castle with demands, assuming that is still the attitude.
KJKobs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:41 AM   #23
Teppers Sunglasses
No doubt in my mind that Tate got a call yesterday from RG.
Teppers Sunglasses is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:46 AM   #24
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppers Sunglasses View Post
No doubt in my mind that Tate got a call yesterday from RG.

Last edited by Dan; Nov 16, 2010 at 08:54 AM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:47 AM   #25
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Can't say I disagree with Tate with only two games left. If we had done this and lost at Penn State and IU, or Purdue, or both, then you can give him the hook mid-season. With two games left, it doesn't make sense. If the masses of complaining people are right, there's no chance we'll do anything but finish 5-7 (or 6-6 at best) and the attitude and outrage from the fans will be the same.

It does still sound like someone gave him a little nudge to make an about-face, though. He sounded like he was ready to help Zook pack up his office in the chat.

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
danielb927 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »