Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

2012 St. Louis Cardinals Topic

Old Apr 3, 2012, 04:09 PM   #1
DrewD007
Cardinals kick off their title defense with a road trip, starting with one game against the Miami Marlins, in the Marlins' new ballpark, followed by two three game sets in Milwaukee and Cincinnati, before the home opener against the Cubs where the team will raise the 2011 World Series banner in addition to players receiving their rings.

Here is the opening day roster...

Quote:
PITCHERS (12): Mitchell Boggs (41), Jaime Garcia (54), Scott Linebrink (40), Kyle Lohse (26), Lance Lynn (31), Kyle McClellan (46), Jason Motte (30), J.C. Romero (16), Marc Rzepczynski (34), Fernando Salas (59), Adam Wainwright (50), Jake Westbrook (35).

CATCHERS (2): Tony Cruz (48), Yadier Molina (4).

INFIELDERS (6): Lance Berkman (12), Matt Carpenter (13), Daniel Descalso (33), David Freese (23), Rafael Furcal (15), Tyler Greene (27).

OUTFIELDERS (5): Carlos Beltran (3), Matt Holliday (7), Jon Jay (19), Erik Komatsu (44), Shane Robinson (43).

DISABLED LIST (3): Pitcher Chris Carpenter (29), outfielder Allen Craig (21), infielder/outfielder Skip Schumaker (55).

101sports.com
And here is the lineup for tomorrow's game...

Quote:
#OpeningNight lineup will be: Furcal SS, Beltran RF, Holliday LF, Berkman 1B, Freese 3B, Molina C, Jay CF, Descalso 2B, Lohse P

@Cardinals
Hopefully we'll be seeing this again come October... Let's get #12 in '12!

Last edited by DrewD007; Apr 3, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:30 PM   #2
dgcrow
Thanks, "DrewD007". Good luck to our Birds!

Last edited by dgcrow; Apr 3, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
dgcrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:08 PM   #3
carmelillini
Repeat anyone? Let's Go Redbirds!
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:51 PM   #4
CardiacIllini3
12 in 12!!
CardiacIllini3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:40 AM   #5
IlliniAmy
I'm heading up to Milwaukee to watch my beloved Redbirds this Saturday. I can't wait.

I am ecstatic that I get to see Mike Matheny in a Cardinal uniform again!

This should be a fun year in the National League Central. I'm expecting it to be a two-horse race between the Reds & Cardinals, but the Brewers should make some noise.
IlliniAmy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:29 PM   #6
bmb777
Banned
Cards win opening day 4-1!
bmb777 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:57 PM   #7
DrewD007
Lohse was awesome. Freese picking up where he left off in the postseason... Happy Flight!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:55 PM   #8
blmillini
Nice start for Matheny... and Lohse.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:22 AM   #9
wpr
Yep good beginning to the season.

I have been a little suspicious of Lohse over the last few years. Hopefully I am wrong and he improves on last year's solid performance and has a career year.

Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:23 AM   #10
carmelillini
Yadi gives game ball to Matheny for 1st managerial victory. The team chemistry appears to be even better than last year. Great start to, hopefully, a geat year.
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:22 AM   #11
IlliniAmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
Yadi gives game ball to Matheny for 1st managerial victory. The team chemistry appears to be even better than last year. Great start to, hopefully, a geat year.
On that note, good stuff from Bernie Miklasz today:

Bernie: Great day for Matheny
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...9bb30f31a.html

Quote:
Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina, presenting Matheny with a game ball. Remember 2004? Matheny was the veteran, tough as a railroad tie. Molina was the fabulously skilled rookie, called up from the minors to be groomed to take Matheny's starting job.

Matheny could have given Molina a cold shoulder. He could have resented the kid. Instead, Matheny conducted catching classes for Molina, schooling him in every way imaginable. Matheny wanted to prepare his successor, and that's exactly what happened. Matheny signed a free-agent contract with San Francisco after the season. And Molina planted himself behind the plate for a long and successful term as the team's catcher.

And now, on this virtually perfect Wednesday night, Molina handed the game ball to his manager. "And Yadi was smiling ear-to-ear," Matheny said.
And that is part of why Matheny is my favorite Cardinal, despite the fact that he's not a Hall of Famer like my first ever favorite Cardinal, who behaved quite differently at the end of his playing career.
IlliniAmy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:51 AM   #12
wpr
^ good stuff.

Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:04 PM   #13
wpr
Game 7 2011 WS. Is on Fox Sports MW. 10 min ago Craig hits the go ahead HR in the 3rd inning. It is still a great game.

Old Apr 6, 2012, 03:01 AM   #14
bmb777
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpr View Post
Game 7 2011 WS. Is on Fox Sports MW. 10 min ago Craig hits the go ahead HR in the 3rd inning. It is still a great game.
game 6 was the best game. still love the announcers calls in that game. when they tied it in the 9th one announcer said "Oh mercy, the Cardinals are back!" and tied in the 10th, one said "I dont believe it, Jay will score, the game is tied!" and of course Joe Bucks call "they just..wont...go...away" and the walk off homer "we will see you tomorrow night!" and the game 7 call "what a team. what a ride. the Cardinals are world champs in 2011"
Old Apr 6, 2012, 06:44 AM   #15
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb777 View Post
game 6 was the best game. still love the announcers calls in that game. when they tied it in the 9th one announcer said "Oh mercy, the Cardinals are back!" and tied in the 10th, one said "I dont believe it, Jay will score, the game is tied!" and of course Joe Bucks call "they just..wont...go...away" and the walk off homer "we will see you tomorrow night!" and the game 7 call "what a team. what a ride. the Cardinals are world champs in 2011"
the best game of all time. what a roller coaster ride emotionally.

Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:18 PM   #16
DrewD007
Today's lineup...

Old Apr 6, 2012, 06:57 PM   #17
DrewD007
Good win! Was a little worried at first, but Garcia settled down nicely and then the big bats came out.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 07:07 PM   #18
dgcrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Good win! Was a little worried at first, but Garcia settled down nicely and then the big bats came out.
Yep -- good game. Just hope McClelland can settle down, especially in a close game. Otherwise, great!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:30 AM   #19
DrewD007
Tough loss but Grienke doesn't lose in Milwaukee... Here's today's lineup. Lot's of bench guys!

Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:20 AM   #20
bmb777
Banned
good win tonight. Freese looks like he is proving last years playoffs weren't a fluke. being the home town boy, with Pujols gone maybe he will be the face of the franchise.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:50 PM   #21
DrewD007
Freese has been ridiculous as has the starting pitching... 6 games, 6 quality starts. Already won the series, but hopefully we get the sweep and have a Happy Flight prior to the home opener on Friday against the Cubbies!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:56 PM   #22
dgcrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Freese has been ridiculous as has the starting pitching... 6 games, 6 quality starts. Already won the series, but hopefully we get the sweep and have a Happy Flight prior to the home opener on Friday against the Cubbies!
Hope for a sweep as well. But even without it, what a great road trip and way to open the season!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:08 PM   #23
CardiacIllini3
Twice already this year we have hit 3 home runs in an inning. We lead the majors in HR's. Lohse is brilliant, and the bullpen has been excellent as well. Very excited about the fast start. Albert who?
CardiacIllini3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:11 AM   #24
bmb777
Banned
Freese will get a fantastic welcome from the crowd on opening day at Busch! first time back at Busch since the world series parade.

and while you cant replace Albert, Freese is off to a great start. and Albert wasnt the NCLS MPV nor the World Series MVP.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:48 PM   #25
orangeroses07
Tough loss today, thought we had them. I will definitely take 5 road wins to start the season against 3 tough teams. Looking forward to seeing the rings! Making the trip up for Sunday's game, should be a good time!
orangeroses07 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »