Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Rayvonte Rice transfers to Illinois

Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:13 PM   #76
HoopBoss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
He got in trouble for shoplifting socks. Nothing earth shattering. haha
Ha-ha ??? Did I miss something?

Last time I looked, even socks weren't on the "OK to Shoplift" menu-list.

I guess that's part of the problem with today's professional, and now even college athletes (certainly not the majority).

It has to be "earth shattering" in order to be defined as wrong. Hey, no one's perfect. You know it, and I know it. But let's not blow it off because he knows how to shoot a basketball, throw a football, etc, etc, etc.

HoopBoss is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:15 PM   #77
floorburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by youlikeroses View Post
Maybe he can play football too? He would be an incredible receiver. 6'4", 235. Linebackers would get out of his way on a slant route.
Rayvontae played basketball and football at Centennial, dropping football his senior year to concentrate on hoops.

He was actually the backup to Leshoure for a couple of years and got the bulk of playing time when Mikel had some injuries Mikel's senior year.
floorburn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:15 PM   #78
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Mike Mullins just went up with a classic (but very polite) tweet letting Harv and Roy know that his name is Rayvonte, not Davonte. That's what the brothers have been calling him in tweets.

More importantly, welcome to Illini Nation, Mr. Rice!

Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:16 PM   #79
PeoriaSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSteve View Post
Nice job Coach Groce, Rice is a warrior
That's the big point. The kid is a warrior, something we've lacked other than young players since Chet, Trent and Calvin left after '09. I believe Abrams is like that as well, which I believe will come to the forefront this year.
PeoriaSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:19 PM   #80
PeoriaSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniguy24 View Post
does this hurt our chances at getting Nunn??
No, having a better team helps. You think a stud like Nunn is afraid of competition? No way. Plus, Groce tends to play a lot of guys, so you need the depth for his system.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:27 PM   #81
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaSteve View Post
No, having a better team helps. You think a stud like Nunn is afraid of competition? No way. Plus, Groce tends to play a lot of guys, so you need the depth for his system.
Nunn is a sharpshooter. Rice, not so much. Rice will bring toughness, but Nunn will take the big jumpshots if he's at UI.

Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:30 PM   #82
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopBoss View Post

I guess that's part of the problem with today's professional, and now even college athletes (certainly not the majority).

It has to be "earth shattering" in order to be defined as wrong. Hey, no one's perfect. You know it, and I know it. But let's not blow it off because he knows how to shoot a basketball, throw a football, etc, etc, etc.

My point was it's not like he robbed a bank or assaulted someone. Of course what he did was wrong and he was punished, but I hardly believe that an 18 year old taking some socks is giong to lead to a life of crime. And it has nothing to do with whether or not he can dribble a basketball. We are all guilty of doing stupid things when we were young. One incident is not a pattern.
BrooksTaylorFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:31 PM   #83
PeoriaSteve
Quote:

Dude, chill. He was a teen when he did this. Teens do stupid things. I would call this a minor offense. I'm sure he is over this and learned from this stupid mistake.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:34 PM   #84
Botb9
Realist
Quote:

He was dealt with appropriately at Drake. We just need to hope that he learned his lesson and grows up from that.

Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:36 PM   #85
zpfled
Awesome. Groce is winning recruiting battles. Granted, this isn't Jabari Parker, but Rice is a player, he's experienced, and he's a hometown hero. Can't wait to see him in O & B!
zpfled is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:38 PM   #86
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Groce's pitch to Rice, according to Rice's mom: "I wasn't Illinois' first choice, and neither were you. We're both here now for a reason."

http://twitter.com/AaronB_WCIA
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:41 PM   #87
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Groce is very smooth. I like it.
BrooksTaylorFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:49 PM   #88
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by floorburn View Post
Rayvontae played basketball and football at Centennial, dropping football his senior year to concentrate on hoops.

He was actually the backup to Leshoure for a couple of years and got the bulk of playing time when Mikel had some injuries Mikel's senior year.
Fun Facts:

Rayvonte is not Simeon Rice's son, but as I stated before he is Mikel's cousin.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:56 PM   #89
Illest
Quote:
+100
Illest is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:05 PM   #90
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by youlikeroses View Post
Maybe he can play football too? He would be an incredible receiver. 6'4", 235. Linebackers would get out of his way on a slant route.
That is TE size and he isn't even training for football.

Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:06 PM   #91
othawhitemeat
I like it because he reminds me of a better offensively Sergio! Toughness galore - hopefully he can blend in with the team and not vice versa!
othawhitemeat is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:25 PM   #92
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldog2013 View Post
One instance is Drake players celebrated when Jordan Clark, beat the snot out of him for acting out.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:37 PM   #93
NV Illini 74
Quote:
JEllis- Rayvonte Rice roughly 2 hours ago. He called the Illinois staff this morning to let them know he will transfer from Drake. Rayvonte said a few minutes ago he plans on returning to his hometown on May 12 and will be enrolled for the June summer session. They looked into the potential of pursuing a waiver to make him eligible for next season. But Rice said he won't be eligible until the 2013-14 season. He's on pace to graduate after his "junior" season in May 2014. That way, he can pursue an advanced degree during his fifth year. His mom, Rhonda Rice, said today her son is in good academic standing at Drake. Hope that helps. More on the Rayvonte Rice transfer in Thursday's News-Gazette. He was our 2010 State Player of the Year, edging Jereme Richmond for the title. Klee

http://www.illinihq.com/chats/2012-0...ball-chat.html

Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:41 PM   #94
themudflap
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
That's what this season (2012-13) is going to be. So are you willing to sit through two bad seasons?

I want to compete in 2013 for the Big Ten Title. That would likely not happen with our current stock of guards for that year. Rice will be big for us.
Uh, why? We return starters at all the positions but Center and Egwu is no slouch. He will be fine. We need a big more than him and I think we would have been fine without him. Pretty much cross Nunn off the list now.
themudflap is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:55 PM   #95
CAHALL15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThomas4Prez View Post
Do we really need him? This takes away a scholarship from great classes the next few years.
We will be fine. We can still get Kendrick Nunn/Sterling Brown, Gavin Schilling or another big, and Jabari Parker. The NCAA allows you to go one over the scholarship limit if a) a player enters the draft b) a player transfers or c) in our case, bertrand does not seek a 5th year.

And yes, we will need him. We don't have an experienced scorer after DJ and BP leaves. He brings a unique skill set and physique that we don't have. Rice has already said he wants to work on his ball-handling and "...whatever else I need to work on."
CAHALL15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:56 PM   #96
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by themudflap View Post
Uh, why? We return starters at all the positions but Center and Egwu is no slouch. He will be fine. We need a big more than him and I think we would have been fine without him. Pretty much cross Nunn off the list now.
Wow we return all our starters from a 17-15 club, minus the very best one? Trying to learn a new system? With no point guard or big man depth?

Sounds like a rebuilding year to me.

Rice is more of a 3, Nunn is a combo guard. There are places for both of them in the same lineup. Groce will make that clear to Kendrick. We are still in need of shooters and ballhandlers.
illiniobserver22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:09 PM   #97
Groundhogday
Quote:
Pretty much cross Nunn off the list now.

Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:22 PM   #98
justsomedude
Quote:
I'm pretty much positive that Nunn will still be pursued hard. RR will play 3-4 at UI along with Henry and Bertrand. I do think it will be a first come situation with Nunn, XRM and a few others like demetrius Jackson.

I'm pretty torn on the deal, but he's someone who can contribute if needed and should help ensure we are decent. For as many wings as we have, Groce likes to play deep, and Bertrand and Henry will likely be the only Wings on that team with significant experience, so Rice does help, as well as giving more bodies in practice next year, which would be way to thin if we have a transfer.

Essentially, one ride in 13 for the best 1 - 2 available and the other two need to be bigs or Parker. Then you assume one other opens to give you at least two for 14.
justsomedude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:25 PM   #99
carmelillini
Toughness and scoring ability, two things sorely lacking in last year's team. A good start for Coach Groce.
carmelillini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:32 PM   #100
ssr707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
Mike Mullins just went up with a classic (but very polite) tweet letting Harv and Roy know that his name is Rayvonte, not Davonte. That's what the brothers have been calling him in tweets.

More importantly, welcome to Illini Nation, Mr. Rice!
Make sure to note that they were the FIRST ones to call him Davonte.
ssr707 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »