Closed Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Monday, November 19th, 11:00pm CT

Illinois vs USC

Bracket-

http://www.mauiinvitational.com/site...%20Bracket.pdf

Last edited by Dan; Jul 26, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:07 AM   #2
FeelYourPaign
Hope Butler takes Marquette in the first round.
No reason to make Marquette look any better to the recruits that we are both pursuing.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Edgar Mundo
Supervenience
ILLINOIS 86
usc 62

Looks like it starts at 11:00 pm central time...

Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:25 AM   #4
jhayton
Could get a nice NC SOS boost if we can win a couple games out there. Double-edged sword though, if we lost to USC then we would take a hit on the NC SOS.

I guess it won't take long to know if this team will over-achieve. If they make it to the title game then I would be thoroughly excited about the prospects of our season.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Kramer116
Not going to lie, a potential draw of USC then Texas is about the best we could do imo...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:38 AM   #6
bheezey
Looks like a solid (winnable) bracket for us.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Holdemall
Colgate as our opening round game.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:53 AM   #8
HeartofaChampion
USC was 6-26 last season. This is an excellent draw for us. And UT was 20-14, so a semifinal matchup there is winnable, too.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:55 AM   #9
bradford_illini
If we don't beat USC (6-26).... cancel the season....
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Jabber Jabber
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayton View Post
Could get a nice NC SOS boost if we can win a couple games out there. Double-edged sword though, if we lost to USC then we would take a hit on the NC SOS.

I guess it won't take long to know if this team will over-achieve. If they make it to the title game then I would be thoroughly excited about the prospects of our season.
Last time the Illini were in Maui, they made the championship game and lost to Duke in a good effort. The same year, they finished 16-19.

I'll be happy if we win 2 out of 3 pretty much any way it shakes out, but I won't alter my expectations that early into the season.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:09 PM   #11
IlliniByProxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jabber View Post
Last time the Illini were in Maui, they made the championship game and lost to Duke in a good effort. The same year, they finished 16-19.

I'll be happy if we win 2 out of 3 pretty much any way it shakes out, but I won't alter my expectations that early into the season.
+1. I think these brackets setup just about as well as they can for us to have a shot at making the championship game. I'll be tickled pink if that happens.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:09 PM   #12
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
I like the thought of USC, Texas, and then NC. Doing well here would be a great early boost for our program and would go along way towards making the tourney.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:09 PM   #13
IntenselyOrange
Quote:

I don't think that was the championship, was it? Semis I thought.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:36 PM   #14
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
Correct. We beat ASU, lost to Duke, then beat OK St in the third-place game.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:39 PM   #15
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
I like this bracket. Good programs, some of them with plenty to gain from a good showing. One of the better preseason tourneys in recent years, IMO.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:46 PM   #16
ryls
Banned
We got an excellent draw but USC is supposed to be much improved a lot of injured players back and several new recruits, still a game we need to win
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:46 PM   #17
jhayton
Quote:

Notice how I said over-achieve. I am not saying if we get to the title game we will win the B1G. I overall have very low expectations for this first season. There is clearly talent enough on the roster to make the tournament, but they haven't ever put it together.

A strong Maui showing will boost my expectations, but not as much as my first post may have given the impression on.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:30 PM   #18
zoggle101
I'm not so sure either of these teams are going to role over for us.

USC is going to be much improved with three key additions in players who have contributed at the high major level in Ari Stewart(Wake), JT Terrell(Wake), and recent addition Renaldo Woolridge(Tenn) plus a solid mid major pick up in Eric Wise who lead UC Irvine in scoring his three years there. Add a healthy Jio Fontan and that's a heck of a class in itself. Other players of note are former Hawkeye Aaron Fuller, Bryon Wesley who started every game as a true frosh along with being named the best high school player in California his senior year, and 5'7 leading scorer/pg in Maurice Jones who was a first team all state player that played his prep ball in Michigan. They have two solid freshman coming in also. One is a foreign kid who played on the U18 Serbian national team who placed second to Turkey in the European Championship named Strahinja Gavrilovic and the other is a kid who was ranked in the top 20 players in the state of California despite hardly playing a junior and only 18 games as a senior because of a transfer rule. Throw in two 7 footers who are 22/23 y.o.'s along with an opinion that one is just now getting it who is also a very good athlete in Dewayne Dedmon and this should be a competitive group.

Texas lost some veteran leadership in CLint Chapman who was a very good role player meaning he knew his job, an under-utilized athlete in the post in Alexis Wangmene, scoring guard J'Covan Brown, and a solid freshman guard in Sterling Gibbs. It might seem like a lot but this team had a great group of freshman who will ease the loss a two tough bench players and a dynamic scorer like Brown. They will also bring in a nice blend of freshman to go with the sophomores most importantly being center Cameron Ridley who should easily replace the numbers Chapman and Wangmene combined for. I'm going to reiterate how much I loved Texas's freshman class last year. I expect them to win between 22-24 games and if there are no defections than we'll see a top 10-15 pre season team in 2013-14 with the possibility of top 5 with one or two key additions. This young Longhorns team will be fun to watch.

Let's not just see a team and expect us to win. Our boys are in for a challenge in this challenge in my mind and we better be more prepared than just assuming they suck based off of last years results. FWIW I've seen bad/average USC teams surprise some very nice teams during the past three seasons.

Last edited by zoggle101; Jul 26, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:10 PM   #19
WizardBill
Illini optimist
IF we were to go USC, UT and NC, our SOS would be as good as it could get for that point in the season. HOWEVER, if we are calculating SOS after Maui, then, obviously, we ARE expecting the dance, so, anyone who says they are not expecting the dance this year would not be calculating SOS at all.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:14 PM   #20
jhayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
IF we were to go USC, UT and NC, our SOS would be as good as it could get for that point in the season. HOWEVER, if we are calculating SOS after Maui, then, obviously, we ARE expecting the dance, so, anyone who says they are not expecting the dance this year would not be calculating SOS at all.
Kind of. Its a statistic. You can manipulate it to say just about anything. "We were this bad because". "We should be in the dance because". Get my meaning there?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:17 PM   #21
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayton View Post
Kind of. Its a statistic. You can manipulate it to say just about anything. "We were this bad because". "We should be in the dance because". Get my meaning there?
Sort of. But, people are saying that they are not expecting anything this season. IF that is REALLY the case, SOS is a meaningless number, I would think. I am ALWAYS expecting the dance. If we were 9-20, I would still be making the case that we beat so and so, and they beat so and so, and follow the Kevin Bacon thread and we beat the number 2 team in the country. So, we should be dancin! (Yeah, I am a homer like that):laugh:
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:54 PM   #22
Jabber Jabber
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
Correct. We beat ASU, lost to Duke, then beat OK St in the third-place game.
Ah, good catch. Still, I remember feeling really good about our team after Maui and could never have envisioned such a terrible season.

I do like the teams selected this year.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:16 AM   #23
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
Sort of. But, people are saying that they are not expecting anything this season. IF that is REALLY the case, SOS is a meaningless number, I would think. I am ALWAYS expecting the dance. If we were 9-20, I would still be making the case that we beat so and so, and they beat so and so, and follow the Kevin Bacon thread and we beat the number 2 team in the country. So, we should be dancin! (Yeah, I am a homer like that):laugh:
I think most are expecting a bubble-type season which makes SOS an extremely important number.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:31 AM   #24
illiniguy24
How sweet it would be to beat NC (i think we all know why) or MU, or Butler even, just to throw it back in everyones faces that we are still the U of I!

Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:19 AM   #25
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by bheezey View Post
Looks like a solid (winnable) bracket for us.
I agree. This is a good draw for the Illini.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »