Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
The July evaluation period has concluded- time to wipe the slate clean with a new hoops recruiting thread. July highlights-

New Illinois offers in July-
Wesley Clark, 2013 PG
Kevin Zabo, 2014 PG
Austin Colbert, 2013 PF
Sean O'Mara, 2014 C
Sterling Brown, 2013 G

Jabari Parker eliminated Illinois.

Malcolm Hill hospitalized with arm blood clot.

Keita Bates-Diop had a great July.

Kendrick Nunn said he'd unveil his list of schools August 3.

Illinois in the mix for PG Tyler Ennis.

Demetrius Jackson blew up.

Trevon Bluiett and Demetrius Jackson said they'd visit Illinois after the July eval period.

What did I miss?

Last edited by Dan; Jul 31, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:17 PM   #2
IlliniDownSouth
You missed the intriguing debate of whether Dee and Shannon Brown are related
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:31 PM   #3
TCTORNADO
Karrington Ward anybody??
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Calvin
What's the latest on Malcom Hill? Is he expected to recover completely? Play his full senior season? TIA
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:53 PM   #5
ILLINIFAN2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Karrington Ward anybody??
Not sure what it means but...

Karrington Ward‏@Kward14bball

I'm just waiting on my moment
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:54 PM   #6
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
XRM narrows his list down to 10 tommorow? That's not really narrowing it down. :laugh:
Old Aug 1, 2012, 06:16 AM   #7
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
XRM narrows his list down to 10 tommorow? That's not really narrowing it down. :laugh:
Hey, tell that to Jabari
Old Aug 1, 2012, 08:32 AM   #8
illini73
Offer to S. Brown

Anyone else feel this may be an offer to speed up the decision of a certain SF/PF out of Normal, IL?

Can Brown play SG?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 08:37 AM   #9
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
Anyone else feel this may be an offer to speed up the decision of a certain SF/PF out of Normal, IL?

Can Brown play SG?
Brown = SG
Bates-Diop = SF/WF

It's more of a push on Nunn than KBD
Old Aug 1, 2012, 08:38 AM   #10
Illinoy
Quote:

Can Brown play SG?
I highly doubt Groce is giving up offers to entice other targets to commit especially if the target is in the class of 2014 and the offer is for a 2013.

Also, Sterling Brown is a SG. He would fill a role we would want from an XRM or Nunn if we dont get those guys.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 09:15 AM   #11
youlikeroses
I really like Sterling Brown, I would love to see him in orange and blue, not green and white. I don't think he gets as much hype as Nunn or others up there, but is a baller.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 09:48 AM   #12
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
This line of thinking sounds familiar, I think I read it somewhere else....
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:02 AM   #13
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
This line of thinking sounds familiar, I think I read it somewhere else....
+1
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:11 AM   #14
UIUC2008
Banned
Should be interesting to how this plays out with Brown being part of the Mac Irvin Fire. I could see him holding out longer to wait for better offers to come in. Not sure if they'll be better than Illinois.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:21 AM   #15
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by UIUC2008 View Post
Should be interesting to how this plays out with Brown being part of the Mac Irvin Fire. I could see him holding out longer to wait for better offers to come in. Not sure if they'll be better than Illinois.
Don't know that it matters now, AAU ball is done. Won't be back on til march, and by then, signing day will be long gone.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:32 AM   #16
stevo99
Quote:

Can Brown play SG?

Groce stated and it has been repeated many many times that scholarships won't be used in this fashion.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:57 AM   #17
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo99 View Post
Groce stated and it has been repeated many many times that scholarships won't be used in this fashion.
Of course he did.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:59 AM   #18
UofIChE06
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo99 View Post
I don't think that he has. He has said there are no conditional offers. That doesn't mean he won't offer two people at the same position in a first come first served fashion in order to speed up a decision.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:02 AM   #19
JJB
Quote:
The Hoops Report is so much more enamored with Brown than it was 12 months or even six months ago -- that state title game performance helped, of course. But physically, his body has developed right along with his assertiveness. But what makes Sterling Brown so intriguing is his versatility. He's able to defend multiple positions. And while still more of a 3-man/wing than a true 2-guard at this point, he's become a better ballhandler and his developed mid-range game is quietly sneaking out to the 3-point line. For the right team, in the right system and in certain matchups in college, Brown will be able to play three different positions effectively down the road.

"The biggest difference I've seen with him is his willingness to play multiple positions," says Boyce, who plans to create all types of mismatches on the floor with Brown this season. "He's not afraid to mix it up in the post and his perimeter skills have become more polished."
http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsrepor...ther_fair.html

Still growing into the "2" role, but Groce loves versatility.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:22 AM   #20
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UIUC2008 View Post
IMO this is a offer that makes you go hmmmm. I think he is a good player and i am fine with the offer. IMO he is underrated and Nunn maybe overrated. I doubt we take them both with Henry and Ravonte playing similar roles but who knows. I would be fine with either Nunn or Sterling. Sterling really played well here in the State Championship and IMO actually played as well or better than did J Parker. I liked that he played big in a big game.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:27 AM   #21
jhayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaIllini1 View Post
IMO this is a offer that makes you go hmmmm. I think he is a good player and i am fine with the offer. IMO he is underrated and Nunn maybe overrated. I doubt we take them both with Henry and Ravonte playing similar roles but who knows. I would be fine with either Nunn or Sterling. Sterling really played well here in the State Championship and IMO actually played as well or better than did J Parker. I liked that he played big in a big game.
Nunn is absolutely a natural 2. Brown may be able to play that position, but Rice and Henry are definitely 3's so I don't see much of an overlap there. I don't see us getting both anyway.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:31 AM   #22
UIUC2008
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaIllini1 View Post
It is starting to seem this way. I wouldn't be surprised if he sees a huge jump in publicity/rankings. Proviso is a great program and seems to always be relevant on the IHSA scene.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:31 AM   #23
illini73
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Of course he did.
Yeah a coach is going to say this to the public, but behind closed doors...

At this stage Brown is more of a SF, because of his ball-handling skill set and his range on his jumper (not consistent enough from 3-point range).
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:57 AM   #24
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayton View Post
Nunn is absolutely a natural 2. Brown may be able to play that position, but Rice and Henry are definitely 3's so I don't see much of an overlap there. I don't see us getting both anyway.
Well i was listening to Joe Hendrickson on WDWS podcasts and that is what he had mentioned and i think he knows more about Sterling and Nunn than i do. I was just going with that. He said we currently have Rice and Henry and they will all play the similar roles but may bring different traits. We have more of a need for other positions. He also felt Nunn is top 100 not top 50 and Brown is in the same area with some different skills sets. I have seen both play i and i tend to agree with him. Though Brown is versatile i think if he came to the ILLINI he would play the 2 at only 6'4'' and fairly lean.

Last edited by PeoriaIllini1; Aug 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:58 AM   #25
gullit
Guys,

I wouldn't hold your breath on Nunn. It's very obvious he has other things in mind. I bet he will keep us in his top 3 and choose someone else.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »