Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

Fantasy Football 2012

Old Aug 2, 2012, 02:50 PM   #1
trevdv
I know it's a bit early...but in less than a month NFL games return!! I don't know if a specific person is usually in charge of setting the league up, and if so by all means set another one up and I'll get rid of this one. If not, we've got 18 open slots (one of them being me) for whoever wants to join. Haven't set a draft time yet, I'll wait until a couple weeks before the season starts. I've set up an ESPN league, and will be sending invites out shortly. Please PM if you are interested in joining as ESPN needs an email address for each invite.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:40 AM   #2
trevdv
15 Spots Remaining!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:04 PM   #3
trevdv
10 spots left, and please let me know ASAP if you want in or not... Football starts in now roughly 3 weeks, and we need a draft time to be set for a good week or two before the season. PM me!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4
trevdv
8 spots left, and official cut-off day set: IF YOU DO NOT PM OR EMAIL ME PERSONALLY BY AUGUST 25th, YOU WILL NOT BE IN THE 2012 FANTASY LEAGUE. The draft will be that following Monday, which is a week before the start of the season. So... you have about 2.5 weeks to sign up. This is not meant to be some scary ultimatum...more like a friendly reminder (with a caps lock sentence ).
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:34 PM   #5
trevdv
2-4 spots left...depending on how many more requests I get. Remember: Only a few more days until spots for the league are closed up. PM me!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:51 AM   #6
BleedOrangeBlue
Count me in! I cant get enuf ff.

blly.dnvn@gmail.com
BleedOrangeBlue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:18 PM   #7
trevdv
OK that does it. 2 more spots filled up, and bada-bing bada-boom league full. I CAN extend the amount of spots to 2 more if I get two more PMs before this coming Saturday, but as of this moment, the league is full. Thanks, and Go Illini!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Kramer116
I am already in 4 leagues, so I can't do another.

But.... would love to hear some feedback from those who have been doing their research so far...

I have some decisions to make in a keeper league I am in:

- I am 100% keeping Jimmy Graham as an 8th rounder (10th rounder last year)

- Do I keep AJ Green as a 6th rounder (8th rounder last year) or DeMarco Murray as a 9th rounder (11th rounder last year)?

All summer I was leaning towards keeping Green to have a borderline #1 WR as my 6th round pick... but lately I have been seeing Murray should get a majority of the carries and has been going anywhere from late 1st to 2nd round pick in most drafts. I love the WR depth this year a lot overall, so I feel this is a difficult decision.

I will be in a draft position lottery since I made the playoffs last year, so I will pick anywhere from 7-12.

Any thoughts on who to pick as the keeper?
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:43 PM   #9
DrewD007
Only 2 keepers?
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Only 2 keepers?
Yes, we can keep anywhere from 0-2 players each season. Max of two seasons keeping a player.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:36 AM   #11
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post

But.... would love to hear some feedback from those who have been doing their research so far...

- Do I keep AJ Green as a 6th rounder (8th rounder last year) or DeMarco Murray as a 9th rounder (11th rounder last year)?

All summer I was leaning towards keeping Green to have a borderline #1 WR as my 6th round pick... but lately I have been seeing Murray should get a majority of the carries and has been going anywhere from late 1st to 2nd round pick in most drafts. I love the WR depth this year a lot overall, so I feel this is a difficult decision.

I will be in a draft position lottery since I made the playoffs last year, so I will pick anywhere from 7-12.

I would go with Green, but I can understand your second-guessing and over-thinking. Murray IS going to get the most yards for Dallas, but I've also heard their o-line is not that strong, as you could probably see from all the sacks Romo took last year. Also, Murray is on high injury-watch, and is on many lists of "Don't Draft due to Injury." Knowing this, I'd go with Green.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:13 AM   #12
AHSIllini32
Banned
Just curious as to people's thoughts on my team from a draft I had last night. Little background info on our league; it's a PPR league, ALL td's for any offensive player are 6 points (including QB's), it's a 10 team league, oh and I had the #2 pick:

QB - Brady
RB - Run DMC, Steven Jackson
WR - Steve Smith (CAR), Stevie Johnson
FLEX - Frank Gore
TE - Aaron Hernandez
D/ST - Texans
K - who cares

Bench:
QB - Flacco
RB - DeAngelo Williams, Pierre Thomas
WR - Desean Jackson, Randy Moss, Nate Washington.

If DMC and Gore can stay healthy I think I have a pretty good team. Thanks in advance!
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:05 AM   #13
KBLEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
Just curious as to people's thoughts on my team from a draft I had last night. Little background info on our league; it's a PPR league, ALL td's for any offensive player are 6 points (including QB's), it's a 10 team league, oh and I had the #2 pick:

QB - Brady
RB - Run DMC, Steven Jackson
WR - Steve Smith (CAR), Stevie Johnson
FLEX - Frank Gore
TE - Aaron Hernandez
D/ST - Texans
K - who cares

Bench:
QB - Flacco
RB - DeAngelo Williams, Pierre Thomas
WR - Desean Jackson, Randy Moss, Nate Washington.

If DMC and Gore can stay healthy I think I have a pretty good team. Thanks in advance!
I'm assuming that you took Brady at #2. Why would you pass on one of the Top 3 RBs?
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:40 AM   #14
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
I'm assuming that you took Brady at #2. Why would you pass on one of the Top 3 RBs?
Because, as I said, QBs get 6 pts for TD's as well instead of 4 like "standard leagues" so QB's in our league are VERY valuable.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:03 PM   #15
KBLEE
Quote:
Because, as I said, QBs get 6 pts for TD's as well instead of 4 like "standard leagues" so QB's in our league are VERY valuable.
Still would have gone RB at #2 unless you can start 2 QBs. QB is much deeper than RB this year.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:13 PM   #16
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post

I would take Murray. My reasoning:

1) WR is so deep. Percy Harvin is going as the #20 WR on ESPN, and he was a stud with Ponder last year.

2) RB is really thin. No real sure things outside of the top 10 or so.

3) A 6th rounder vs. 9th rounder is like an upgrade from Malcolm Floyd to Jeremy Maclin, which is significant.

4) Murray is going to get a lot of work in Dallas.
illiniobserver22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:07 PM   #17
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Still would have gone RB at #2 unless you can start 2 QBs. QB is much deeper than RB this year.
So you're tellin me you think the total points between, say, Foster+Rivers or romo, etc. would be more than with Brady and DMC? Come on now.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:23 PM   #18
NxtLvelIllini7
I have 5 spots left in my Fantasy Football league just message me guys! Thanks

Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:27 PM   #19
KBLEE
Quote:
So you're tellin me you think the total points between, say, Foster+Rivers or romo, etc. would be more than with Brady and DMC? Come on now.
You're making the assumption that all other teams would draft a QB before your pick #19. Unless your league members are just odd, that doesn't happen (even w/ 6 points for QB TDs). Many players wait until middle rounds to grab a QB. You should've been able to take Rice / Foster and pair with Eli Manning / Matt Ryan, which would outscore Brady and the ~13 weeks of DMC you can reasonably expect.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:51 PM   #20
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
You're making the assumption that all other teams would draft a QB before your pick #19. Unless your league members are just odd, that doesn't happen (even w/ 6 points for QB TDs). Many players wait until middle rounds to grab a QB. You should've been able to take Rice / Foster and pair with Eli Manning / Matt Ryan, which would outscore Brady and the ~13 weeks of DMC you can reasonably expect.
DMC was easily the #1 back through the 6 or so games he played last year. If he plays 13 I'll have a ton wins.

Rice went #1 by the way. I still think DMC/Brady is better than Foster/Ryan or Eli.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:17 PM   #21
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
I would take Murray. My reasoning:

1) WR is so deep. Percy Harvin is going as the #20 WR on ESPN, and he was a stud with Ponder last year.

2) RB is really thin. No real sure things outside of the top 10 or so.

3) A 6th rounder vs. 9th rounder is like an upgrade from Malcolm Floyd to Jeremy Maclin, which is significant.

4) Murray is going to get a lot of work in Dallas.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback from everyone. I am really torn about this. Part of me wants to keep Green because he will be a stud and more of a sure thing, but I am leaning towards Murray.

RB is so weak, and if I can get a top 12 or so RB for a 9th round pick the value is so much higher. The fact I would have Jimmy Graham as an 8th rounder and Murray as a 9th rounder makes me very happy.

I can obviously get a much more established player in the 6th round compared to the 9th round. Just playing the numbers, I feel keep Murray as a 9th allows me to stockpile the most good players.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:22 PM   #22
Kramer116
Have an interesting and unique draft set up for tomorrow. Looking for some feedback:

- 12 team league, start a QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, TE, K, DEF, but not FLEX at all.
- Typically a pretty low scoring league, standard 1 point per 10 yards rushing/receiving, 1 point for 100+, and 6 points for TD. For QBs, it is only 1 point for every 50 passing, but it is 5 per TD pass. QBs score the most points by a landslide in this league.

We draw 12 cards, and that is your draft position for 2 rounds. After the 2 rounds are up, we redraw cards. Therefore, I can pick #1 and #24, then in rounds 3/4 I can pick #12/13. Trading is allowed of picks.

I think my strategy is to aim for pick #6. That way, I can get one of either Foster, Rice, McCoy, Brady, Rodgers, or Brees so I have a pretty sure thing.

Thoughts? What is a good solid # picking to aim for? Keep it consistent? Vary it based on who is available and who I really want?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:28 PM   #23
AzIlliniFan
I picked 7th in my draft this morning and was able to get Brady. It's the standard NFL.com league.

My picks are,

QB Brady, Fitzpatrick
RB Forte, Bush (Bears), Matthews, & Helu
WR Bowe, D Jackson, Boldin, Floyd, Britt, & Burleson
TE Davis
K Rackers
D New England

With RB's outside the top 5 or so being so inconsistent the last few years, coupled with the dual backs a lot of teams are going with, I decided to go heavy on the WR's to fill out the Flex position with an eye towards playing the better matchups. I also decided to forego depth at the TE, K, and Def position and just hope to get a decent bye week replacement. Am I nuts or what???
AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:26 PM   #24
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
I picked 7th in my draft this morning and was able to get Brady. It's the standard NFL.com league.

My picks are,

QB Brady, Fitzpatrick
RB Forte, Bush (Bears), Matthews, & Helu
WR Bowe, D Jackson, Boldin, Floyd, Britt, & Burleson
TE Davis
K Rackers
D New England

With RB's outside the top 5 or so being so inconsistent the last few years, coupled with the dual backs a lot of teams are going with, I decided to go heavy on the WR's to fill out the Flex position with an eye towards playing the better matchups. I also decided to forego depth at the TE, K, and Def position and just hope to get a decent bye week replacement. Am I nuts or what???

I like the team.

QB: Brady obviously is going to be a top 3 QB. Good backup option in Fotzpatrick, especially if he can play like early 2011 Fitzpatrick.

RB: Nothing wrong with playing Bush and Forte together. I thin Forte will get you the yards and Bush will get you the TDs. Matthews (if healthy) and Helu are both decent backups.

WR: I like Bowe. Cassell will be looking his way a lot this year. All your other guys are 1-2 type receivers. Good depth there.

TE: Assuming its Vernon, he's a good option. I thin he'll have a top 3 type year.

K & D/ST: Both good options.

Overall, good team. Good luck this year!
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:30 PM   #25
RyanK
I hope I can get some feedback on my team. Please let me know if you feel there's any areas I'm lacking in.

QB: Romo, backup is Locker
RB: Rice & Lynch, backups are B. Wells and D. Thomas
WR: Marshall, Colstom, Bowe (FLEX). Backups are Britt, Meachem, and Laurent Robinson.
TE: Gates
D/ST: Bears
K: Bailey (thinking about picking up the new Raven's kicker, the kid has a boot)
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »