Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Oskee Mayer
Sweet!
Oskee Mayer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Enjoyed talking with the Illini Band yesterday. Excited to have them back! Thanks for allowing me to talk with you! Go Illini!

http://twitter.com/coachbeckman
Quote:
Thanks @coachbeckman for a great visit with the @MarchingIllini tonight! #experiencethetradition

http://twitter.com/MarchingIllini
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:50 AM   #5
illinicb
I like the "where it started and never stopped" tag line.

Also, check out some of the other videos for that same channel. Good stuff.

Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Illini Inn Mug Club Prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
That is awesome.

This site has (below) has mp3's for many of the Marching Illini's tunes.

http://fightmusic.com/big10.html
Illini Inn Mug Club Prez is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:52 PM   #7
The Galloping Ghost 77
Cool video, but I had to turn the sound off. I'm quite sick of "Seven Nation Army".
The Galloping Ghost 77 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:59 PM   #8
TheSecretWeapon
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Galloping Ghost 77 View Post
Cool video, but I had to turn the sound off. I'm quite sick of "Seven Nation Army".
+1

hearing PSU singing that 5 billion times during the illini game there a few years back really did it for me

Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:01 PM   #9
BluesBro
Mike White used to do this when I was in the MI, too. We'd perform one of our halftime shows for the team in Memorial Stadium after one of their late week practices. The team really seemed to enjoy it and the band felt like they were truly part of the team.

Don't know if subsequent coaches did that or not...I left in 86. But I like that Coach mde the effort and actually went over to the Harding Band building. Very cool thing to do.
BluesBro is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:03 AM   #10
chief4life
Chief Supporter
Very cool video, and loved the use of the blank Alma Mater space. Something truly unique for this year. But I agree, Seven Nation Army is quite tired, and I thought the video would have been much better had it been the MI playing, rather than a recording artist. But, all in all, can't wait to hear them on Sept. 1.

Long live the Chief.

Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:54 PM   #11
idoc13
I'm just going to go ahead and say it...

I have never liked Marching Illini. I don't mean any disrespect to those currently involved or those who played in the past. I can honestly say that during my four years in college, I felt like they never pumped up the crowd other than when the chief danced and the drum line during halftime. The songs on third and fourth down sound dated. The band should play something that is going to bring the noise in these situations to give our football players an advantage on the field. They should not promote slow simultaneous clapping. Seven nation army is a rip off of Penn State and the band doesn't even play it loudly.

They need a major overhaul IMO. Everything from the song selection to the uniforms. There is no reason why our band cannot be top tier and have great traditions like Ohio St, Michigan, etc. I appreciate all the hard work the kids put in but I feel like the people on top calling the shots need to change.
idoc13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:27 PM   #12
Umgawa1
Two questions:

Why do you think the OSU and Michigan bands have tradition but the Marching Illini doesn't?

What years were you in Champaign?
Umgawa1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:32 PM   #13
Illiniwek66
Idoc, I have to disagree with you 100%. The MI are highly regarded in the world of collegiate marching bands. The Three in One is just as difficult and as impressive as Script Ohio. Michigan makes a big "M" on the field. Certainly the minority decision to remove the Chief has made the Three in One something different than it was. However, it still remains one of the great college band traditions. The MI are copied by high schools and universities all over the nation. Even the director of the Hawkeye Marching Band is a former MI member and proud of it.

Were you AT the game last year where a penalty was waived against the opposing team because the MI were playing too loudly? And then, on the next play, the band played the same exact song that had caused the problem?

I have to believe that you are in the minority in your opinion, although I respect your right to be horribly wrong. I also sincerely doubt that radical changes are coming anytime soon. Part of what makes collegiate bands, and collegiate football so grand is tradition. If you are looking for loudspeakers blaring the latest pop music, the NFL is much more in order for you.

Regardless of your misguided opinion, please realize that the MI puts in roughly the same amount of time as the football players, with far less reward. They have already been on campus for two days, practicing all day. Despite your opinion, they have been consistently excellent for at least the last 30 years I've been attending games. The football team on the other hand... They receive no scholarships, have to pay for special shirts, gloves, uniform cleanings, etc. All for one hour of credit and the potential of a bowl game trip. sleeping four to a room. My point is that I hope you're supportive, regardless of your feelings, just as I would hope you're supportive of the team, regardless of their outcome.

Who's got the best band in the land? ILLINOIS!
Illiniwek66 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:56 AM   #14
idoc13
I absolutely support them and realize that they put in quite a bit of time into their practices. I don't really have a problem with the halftime show although the three in one is just not the same without the chief. I also don't think it is as visually impressive as script Ohio but to each his own.

My main concern is the band play during the game. Like I said, the slow clapping on third down sucks because it doesn't encourage noise, it encourages slow clapping in silence. The other team has no problem getting their play together in the huddle, calling audibles, etc. The fourth down song is alright but the students waving one hand and saying "kill" is just lame. (Granted, this is more of a student section problem).

I already said before that seven nation army is a rip off of Penn St. that needs to be played louder if it is played. The other music played during the game is uninspiring. "Will you be my girl" is fun during commercial breaks but that is not played while the game is going on. I've never liked Oskee Wow Wow as a fight song and now that the chief is gone, it really doesn't make sense anymore. Personally, I would like to see the chorus of Illinois Loyalty played after touchdowns.

FWIW I was a student from 05-09 so I saw the chief taken away (maybe I'm jaded from that) and the one Rose Bowl season.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:08 AM   #15
chief4life
Chief Supporter
idoc, you talk about tradition and then want to get rid of all of the traditional songs? I don't get it. While I understand what you are saying about War Chant, I think that is one great college atmosphere song. The slow clap needs to build to something. Maybe the MI need to start it a little sooner and get to the meat of it earlier. The student section needs to get rowdy when it breaks from the clap into the meat of it, and then maybe move to something else, but to get rid of entirely would be ridding the MI of much of it's tradition and a huge part of the Illinois game day tradition.

Oskee Wow Wow has nothing to do with the Chief, so saying it doesn't make sense without him doesn't make sense. The Three-In-One needs to always be the half time show. It is a great medley of songs and reminds everyone of the Chief's existence. (and hopefully will make for a smooth return of the Chief soon) I don't know what song it is, but I know they added a new traditional song after touchdowns, and I think they do part of Illinois Loyalty after the extra point (I could be wrong, but I think that is right). Oskee Wow Wow can be shortened so it can be played at first downs, touchdowns, and other big moments and not be in the way of the game. It needs to stay right where it is.

I fully agree about Seven Nation Army. Get rid of it and play something that we can claim as our own.

Long live the Chief.

Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:08 PM   #16
chief4life
Chief Supporter
Also, please, please, if the drum line is going to lead the team out of the tunnel again, put microphones on the drums. You can't hear them in the horseshoe, but if you could, it would get the crown pumped.

Long live the Chief.

Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:25 PM   #17
idoc13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief4life View Post
Also, please, please, if the drum line is going to lead the team out of the tunnel again, put microphones on the drums. You can't hear them in the horseshoe, but if you could, it would get the crown pumped.

Long live the Chief.
As a whole, my problem is more with the student section I suppose than anything else.. I do feel as though the band could contribute more than it currently does in getting the crowd riled up. That's all I'm really saying. I think the microphones on the drums are a great idea. It's the little things like that that can give us a new and cool tradition.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:50 PM   #18
illinoistradition
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoc13 View Post
As a whole, my problem is more with the student section I suppose than anything else.. I do feel as though the band could contribute more than it currently does in getting the crowd riled up. That's all I'm really saying. I think the microphones on the drums are a great idea. It's the little things like that that can give us a new and cool tradition.
Have you seen the Michigan band? I think you are attributing the tradition of their football to their band. Their band is nothing special, and the MI is certainly better. OSU, on the other hand, has a fun band to listen to. The best part of their show, and the biggest thing that the MI needs to change, is the pregame. Our pregame might be the lamest in the Big Ten. That isn't to be taken as unpatriotic. It is to be taken with the fact that a pregame should get the fans up, engaged, and excited. Illinois' does everything but. I think the new director did a fantastic job bringing some new ideas last fall. If he changes the pregame, he will be my hero.
illinoistradition is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:34 PM   #19
Illiniwek66
Agree with you on the Ann Arbwhore band. Hard for the MI to get the fans excited at pregame as there aren't many people in the stadium at 10:40 a.m. And, actually, other than 3 in 1, I like pregame better than halftime.
Illiniwek66 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:27 PM   #20
mailpost21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek66 View Post
Agree with you on the Ann Arbwhore band. Hard for the MI to get the fans excited at pregame as there aren't many people in the stadium at 10:40 a.m. And, actually, other than 3 in 1, I like pregame better than halftime.
+1
mailpost21 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:55 PM   #21
thetisdalefactor
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoc13 View Post
I have never liked Marching Illini. I don't mean any disrespect to those currently involved or those who played in the past. I can honestly say that during my four years in college, I felt like they never pumped up the crowd other than when the chief danced and the drum line during halftime. The songs on third and fourth down sound dated. The band should play something that is going to bring the noise in these situations to give our football players an advantage on the field. They should not promote slow simultaneous clapping. Seven nation army is a rip off of Penn State and the band doesn't even play it loudly.

They need a major overhaul IMO. Everything from the song selection to the uniforms. There is no reason why our band cannot be top tier and have great traditions like Ohio St, Michigan, etc. I appreciate all the hard work the kids put in but I feel like the people on top calling the shots need to change.
I agree you should have taken it a step farther though. Nobody cares about marching bands outside of people that were in marching bands. They're cute and you kind of have to have them, but really when was last time you said wow I just got jacked watching the Marching Illini. Probably not politically correct, and I am sure I will get ripped but just my view.
thetisdalefactor is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:41 AM   #22
oskeewowwow12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetisdalefactor View Post
I agree you should have taken it a step farther though. Nobody cares about marching bands outside of people that were in marching bands. They're cute and you kind of have to have them, but really when was last time you said wow I just got jacked watching the Marching Illini. Probably not politically correct, and I am sure I will get ripped but just my view.
When was the date of the final game against Wisconsin last year? That's the last time I said "wow, I just got jacked watching the Marching Illini." Never played an instrument. Your post is not politically correct...it's also not correct at all.

Can't wait to hear that first whistle in 9 days!!! Keep up the great work MI!

...now an Illini
oskeewowwow12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:55 AM   #23
CaptainHindsight
Quote:

I don't know whats wrong with you. How can you not get jacked up when you hear the 3 in 1?
CaptainHindsight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:26 AM   #24
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHindsight View Post
I don't know whats wrong with you. How can you not get jacked up when you hear the 3 in 1?
True that. I love hearing the band play. I think they're great and I have no complaints : ).

I'm freaking excited for next Saturday!!!
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:46 AM   #25
IlliniAmy
Hahaha...

Oh.

You were serious.

:rolleyes:

Quote:
IlliniAmy is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »