Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

Meyers Leonard and the Portland Trailblazers

Closed Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:23 AM   #1
Illini_1979
Meyers had a good game in the Trailblazers' first preseason game against the Lakers (10 pts., 5 rebounds). Of course, Kobe and Dwight Howard didn't play for the Lakers but it was a good start for Meyers nonetheless.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...bition_wi.html

Here's a team promotional video of Meyers...

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in..._river_default

CBS This Morning video of Meyers and his brother, Bailey...

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7424558n

And finally, it appears that Meyers will be doing a diary for the NBA on his rookie season...

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...eekly_dia.html

Looking forward to catching a game or two.

Last edited by Illini_1979; Oct 12, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:30 AM   #2
carmelillini
Been watching local Root Sports in OR. They have lots of Blazers coverage. Saw ML in a couple of these preseason games. Passing well, making some shots, but getting lost on D frequently. He'll have to move those feet and man up on those big boys. His distinct size advantage in D-1 is now nullified.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:17 PM   #3
BlockI
Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DnS_7SzG8o
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:59 AM   #4
carmelillini
Portland radio in love with ML. He's articulate, lots of personality, and a personal story that touches you. Plus he's showing some real potential. Hes such a 180 from the Jailblazers of recent memory. Great place for ML to grow.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:05 PM   #5
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
Portland radio in love with ML. He's articulate, lots of personality, and a personal story that touches you. Plus he's showing some real potential. Hes such a 180 from the Jailblazers of recent memory. Great place for ML to grow.
I was thrilled when ML was picked by Portland...I've really liked the blazers that past several years. It's good to know the local crowd has taken a liking to Meyers! I hope they like what he does on the court as well.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:27 PM   #6
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
I was thrilled when ML was picked by Portland...I've really liked the blazers that past several years. It's good to know the local crowd has taken a liking to Meyers! I hope they like what he does on the court as well.
I always liked the Trailblazers back when they had Arvydas Sabonis at center. That man could pass! Too bad they got him on the downside of his career. Who knows how many titles they'd have won back in the Clyde the Glide days had Sabonis been there. Let's hope ML has as good or better an impact on the Blazers. Time will tell.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:28 PM   #7
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
I just hope Myers can stay injury free. It seems like Blazers big men are cursed with injuries for some reason, so hopefully Myers can buck the trend. If he can, I think he'll be a very solid pro...maybe even great.

Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:42 PM   #8
BillyBob1
Portland game on NBA network

Meyer's game with Portland against the Lakers is on the NBATV Network, channel 156 on Dish. The game is about to start.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:11 PM   #9
BillyBob1
Meyers with his first foul and rebound. Then about 2 minutes later catches elbow in the face.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:29 PM   #10
LubbockIlliniFan
Future Illini class of 2028!
he's not doing too bad...the offense doesn't really go through him, but he made a nice screen to open a guard for a bucket...he looks good so far.

Bleeding Orange and Blue in Lubbock
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:39 AM   #11
-josh-
Banana no more
4 points and 3 rebounds...he was +17 last night, not a bad debut for Leonard.

Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:52 PM   #12
CincinnatiKid
FYI NBA League Pass is free through next Tuesday, so you can watch all of Meyers' games until then if you've got one of major providers.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:15 PM   #13
gailmoore1949
Just got to watch Leonard against the Lakers in the 1st regular season game. What a way to break in a rookie with guys like Gasol, Howard and world peace guarding you. He seemed to do okay though. He had to be a bit nervous, and it looked like they were trying to show him he was a rookie. I hope he has a great career. Wish we would have had guards that could get the ball to him last year. Might have been enough to get us in the tournament?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:24 PM   #14
IlliniSteve
He frustrated Howard with his typical pesky style, drew an offensive foul on D12

Then he had a nice little reunion with Robert Sacre
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:47 PM   #15
stevo99
I don't want to overreact after watching 1 game, but I really like Portland as a sleeper in the west this year. That is a well balanced squad.

Meyers really couldn't be in a better situation.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:20 PM   #16
zoggle101
ML did look solid. Noticed his footwork on boxing out. He kept taking quick, choppy steps which seemed to keep his center of gravity lower allowing him to body up Howard a little better and not let Dwight get better position for offensive rebounding chances. Is there a name for what ML was doing? He did seem to tire out quickly but who wouldn't when you are working like him? After his oop the Lakers made sure to run a set play to get ML lost on defense resulting in an easy Oop for Dwight. Conditioning even though with all the t.o.'s isnt a huge concern and BB IQ needs to get better and should in upcoming years. Like Kanter, Mullins, and Koufas it could take two maybe three years before his potential is close to being realized in my opinion maybe even surpassing those guys i just mentioned but I wouldn't bank on it this year.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:24 AM   #17
Illini_1979
Meyers Leonard Article

Meyers is settling in as a Trailblazer and is off to a good start considering how little college experience he had before coming to Portland.

Here's an article about Meyers from the local paper which talks about more than just basketball. I found it interesting.

Here's a nice quote from his mentor, "I would be disappointed if he's not an All-Star," Hughes said. "I have no fear of saying that. I've told him that ... and I truly believe that."

I'm sure hoping that comes true for Meyers.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...ard_the_h.html
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:58 PM   #18
Mark Seifert
Whoa. Meyers makes #2 on the sportcenter top 10 tonight with a monster dunk over Ronny Turiaf.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:58 AM   #19
WesterveltVictoryCigar

Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:22 AM   #20
Illini_1979
Meyers had a nice game last night, 8 points and 6 rebounds. He seems to be settling into the team very nicely.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:42 AM   #21
Botb9
Realist
I've been following Meyers a lot as a Blazer, probably more than I even followed D-Will coming out of college (I wasn't into the NBA as much at the time). The vast majority of the time, he's out there setting screens, battling for position, etc and seems tireless about it. There was a several minute sequence against the Lakers where he was toe-to-toe against Dwight Howard and did well, I felt. Defended his position well, contested shots, and forced DH into some turnovers with that defense. I did also see DH dunk on him pretty badly once, so he's not quite there yet.

Of course, we see what he did to Ronny Turiaf there, and that shot was contested. I think he'll make a fine center.

Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:35 AM   #22
AzIlliniFan
He's got to be loving all the nice post feeds he's been getting!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:41 AM   #23
IlliniSteve
That poster slam was NICE

Turiaf doesn't have the best luck against former Illini, Luther Head poster'd him a few years ago

And we destroyed his Gonzaga team at the Fieldhouse in '04

Last edited by IlliniSteve; Nov 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:56 AM   #24
Mark Seifert
Meyers in the Sportcenter Top 10 again tonight. Making a name for himself in the early season going for sure.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:37 AM   #25
Just Watchin
Good game last night. Coach showing a lot of confidence in him to have in at the end of regulation and quite a bit during the ot.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »