Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

2013 NBA Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:11 PM   #1
millineum
Deron Williams has bone spurs. Hope it doesn't effect him too much this year....

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...-gm-billy-king

Last edited by Dan; Nov 2, 2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: moved post to new thread
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:17 PM   #2
IlliniRunIn07
Meyers had 6 points and 9 rebounds tonight.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Mark Seifert
Wow... talk about failing upwards. Kelvin Sampson is head coach of the Houston Rockets while Kevin McHale takes a leave of absence to deal with a personal family matter. No word on when McHale is likely to return.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:42 PM   #4
stevo99
If Phil Jackson is really as stunned and embarrassed by the way Laker management handled this as it's been reported, then I have a prediction:

If the LA Clippers flame out in ANY way, shape, or form this year, it gives them a reason to can Del Negro and come after Phil.

I definitely think the Clippers are now on the short list of teams that Phil Jackson would coach.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:22 PM   #5
trevdv
Well this is just ridiculous. The NBA is going to give the Spurs significant sanctions for choosing to sit key players in an "exciting" matchup. David Stern, why don't you just let coaches coach? Doesn't Greg P. have the right to choose whoever he wants to sit and whoever he wants to start? Hence the name, 'coach?' This is baffling to me.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/86...-vs-miami-heat
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:27 PM   #6
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Well this is just ridiculous. The NBA is going to give the Spurs significant sanctions for choosing to sit key players in an "exciting" matchup. David Stern, why don't you just let coaches coach? Doesn't Greg P. have the right to choose whoever he wants to sit and whoever he wants to start? Hence the name, 'coach?' This is baffling to me.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/86...-vs-miami-heat
What???? This is unbelievable! Can Stern really do this if a coach and organization think its the best thing for their team?

I didn't read the link and maybe I'm jumping to conclusions.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:30 PM   #7
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
What???? This is unbelievable! Can Stern really do this if a coach and organization think its the best thing for their team?

I didn't read the link and maybe I'm jumping to conclusions.
No, you're not. David Stern basically said that serious punishment will be handed out to the Spurs organization for choosing whom to bench and whom to start. Stern is just power-hungry right now. He already owns an organization in the Hornets...What more does this man want???:laugh:
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:39 AM   #8
IlliniRunIn07
If you wanted them to respect the sancity of such a premier matchup, Mr. Stern, why would you have the Spurs come to South Beach four their fourth game in five nights (all on the road) against a Heat team who hasn't played in four days?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Mark Seifert
They just said on PTI that Lebron hasn't been called for a foul for... two weeks. That's amazing.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:53 PM   #10
trevdv
Meyers is writhing in pain on the ground. Looks terribly bad. Hoping for the best...
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:53 PM   #11
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Meyers is writhing in pain on the ground. Looks terribly bad. Hoping for the best...
Read that x-rays came back negative and it's a sprain.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:54 PM   #12
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
Read that x-rays came back negative and it's a sprain.
That's a relief. Looked really bad live.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:10 PM   #13
Juice
2012 NBA Season thread

Watching the bulls vs Knicks game tonight and figured I would start an NBA thread. Tonight I came to the conclusion that the bulls are definitely the 2nd best team in the east behind the heat right now and that is without drose. Thought?

Let's get this thread started!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:12 PM   #14
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Watching the bulls vs Knicks game tonight and figured I would start an NBA thread. Tonight I came to the conclusion that the bulls are definitely the 2nd best team in the east behind the heat right now and that is without drose. Thought?

Let's get this thread started!
It's hard to argue, but they did lose to the Bucks a couple nights ago. They've been embarrassed a couple times in the past few weeks, but they've also had some big wins too. They just don't have the offensive firepower to be consistent in every game. If Hamilton can stay healthy, and Kirk can improve some things ( FG and FT %), I think they will be tough even without Rose. Everyone on that team has a role, and they seem to embrace it. And you can't count out a team that takes pride in their defense, and is stellar on the boards as well. They won't beat the Heat in a 7 game series without Rose, but if you add him back in the mix things have the potential to get verrrrry interesting.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:02 AM   #15
IlliniRunIn07
The Bulls embarrassed the Hawks last night. ATL had 20 points at halftime, and 58 to end the game. That was a franchise record for the Bulls in pts allowed in a game, and a franchise record for the Hawks (since the move to ATL) for points scored in a game. Nice work!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:15 AM   #16
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
The Bulls embarrassed the Hawks last night. ATL had 20 points at halftime, and 58 to end the game. That was a franchise record for the Bulls in pts allowed in a game, and a franchise record for the Hawks (since the move to ATL) for points scored in a game. Nice work!
Bulls only allowed 54 points in a Finals game against Utah back in 1997 or 98.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:20 AM   #17
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
Bulls only allowed 54 points in a Finals game against Utah back in 1997 or 98.
Maybe they meant regular season record then? I clearly heard them say they set a franchise record a couple times. And they kept showing a graphic that their previous record was 59 points against Orlando last year.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:41 PM   #18
carmelillini
Going to watch Bucks at Blazers game tonight. Hope ML's ankle is well enough for him to play.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:48 PM   #19
ChiCityHoops34
What in the world happened to D - will? Ive been very unimpressed, and watching the bulls game tonight he had two passes already in the first half that his teammates had no chance of catching.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:48 AM   #20
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityHoops34 View Post
What in the world happened to D - will? Ive been very unimpressed, and watching the bulls game tonight he had two passes already in the first half that his teammates had no chance of catching.
Yeah he just isn't the same player as he used to be, not sure what is up there.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:48 AM   #21
Juice
We are about a little over 2 weeks away from DRose's return guys, buckle up.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:03 PM   #22
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
We are about a little over 2 weeks away from DRose's return guys, buckle up.
The bulls would beat everyone but the heat even without d rose. When he comes back and boozer can play like he was a couple weeks ago, I got the bulls coming out of the east. The perimeter defensive combo of Jimmy Butler/Luol Deng is as good as I have seen in a long time.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:49 PM   #23
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Quote:
The bulls would beat everyone but the heat even without d rose. When he comes back and boozer can play like he was a couple weeks ago, I got the bulls coming out of the east. The perimeter defensive combo of Jimmy Butler/Luol Deng is as good as I have seen in a long time.
I don't think there's any way the Bulls could beat Miami, with or without DRose. It'll be Miami vs. OKC in the finals again.

Maybe the Clippers or Spurs over OKC in the West.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:30 PM   #24
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwesternIllini4 View Post
I don't think there's any way the Bulls could beat Miami, with or without DRose. It'll be Miami vs. OKC in the finals again.

Maybe the Clippers or Spurs over OKC in the West.
And what is your reasoning for this
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:43 PM   #25
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Quote:
And what is your reasoning for this
The same reason why the Bulls couldn't beat the Heat 2 years ago. They have no legitimate #2 stud, which is necessary to win a title in the NBA. Not to mention, even if DRose comes back he'll likely be limited and not at his pre-injury capability. Boozer's had a nice run lately, but I wouldn't trust him to carry that over to a Conference Finals. Even if he does, he'd likely give up just as much as scores to someone like Bosh.

Oh, and there's the minor issue of LeBron being the best basketball player in the world right now. After seeing the intensity and determination he played with last year, there's no way I'd bet against him in favor of a good but incomplete Bulls team.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »