Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > General > Track 5 Chat

Hurricane Sandy

Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:36 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
NY Daily News live update- http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/Tr...ricane_Sandy_2

Live photo from atop NYTimes building- http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...yt-webcam.html

Live video of Brooklyn Bridge- http://www.nycaviation.com/2012/10/l.../#.UI6h4MXA-ls
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Dan
Admin

Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Illinell
'03 IMPE All Star
Ha ha ha. I hadn't seen that but it is pretty awesome.

I am obviously in BK, and people seem to be taking this pretty seriously. Not a whole lot happening now other than some stronger gusts of wind and a little rain, but it is expected to continue picking up as the day goes on.

Either way, MTA shutting down has pretty much turned off transit until at least later tomorrow I am guessing.
Illinell is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:24 AM   #4
ctblaisdell83
Gov Malloy closing all CT highways today at 1:00...but so far not that much action. It looks like it may not be as bad in NE as they were saying a couple days ago. NJ looks like they're gonna get hit pretty hard

Last two big storms (Irene and the Halloween blizzard) both knocked out my power for 5 days each. I am on well water, so outages completely inhale
ctblaisdell83 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:09 AM   #5
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblaisdell83 View Post
Gov Malloy closing all CT highways today at 1:00...but so far not that much action. It looks like it may not be as bad in NE as they were saying a couple days ago. NJ looks like they're gonna get hit pretty hard

Last two big storms (Irene and the Halloween blizzard) both knocked out my power for 5 days each. I am on well water, so outages completely inhale
Better fill the bathtubs! Good luck.

Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:15 AM   #6
ctblaisdell83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Better fill the bathtubs! Good luck.
Thanks - filled last night. Sounds like someone on well water
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Illinell
'03 IMPE All Star
We are filling around 2pm. Funny how the old tricks never fail.

Interesting action so far is that a lot of folks are moving out of the high flood ("Section A") parts of Brooklyn and moving to higher ground. I personally find it interesting to see neighbors/friends reaching out. Again, old tricks never fail.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:35 AM   #8
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblaisdell83 View Post
Thanks - filled last night. Sounds like someone on well water
Grew up on it. Many a day taking a pot of water from tub to back of the toilet.

Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:46 AM   #9
pizzaman
I'll confess my ignorance here by telling you that living on a lake, I never thought of filling up the bathtub. Trekking buckets of water up the hill from the lake is a lot harder especially when you have to drill a hole through the ice to get to the liquid. DUMB!
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Illinell
'03 IMPE All Star
This should be interesting:

http://instagram.com/p/RYHIx6rMuL/

Note, this is not my image or account.

Last edited by Dan; Oct 29, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:21 PM   #11
AzIlliniFan
Is the boom hanging down like that because they put it that way to lessen the effect of the wind or did the wind break something and cause it to fall into that position?
AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Illinell
'03 IMPE All Star
Boom is hanging down due to something breaking and the crane falling. No way of fixing right now, so police are saying that the crane may just need to fall down. Seems like a big risk, but it is just now happening.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:51 PM   #13
AzIlliniFan
Here is another view of that same crane. I wonder what is directly below it?

AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:58 PM   #14
ctblaisdell83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
I'll confess my ignorance here by telling you that living on a lake, I never thought of filling up the bathtub. Trekking buckets of water up the hill from the lake is a lot harder especially when you have to drill a hole through the ice to get to the liquid. DUMB!
Yeah, PMan, first time I lost power last year I used jacuzzi water. Carrying 5 gallon buckets in from the yard...all because I was convinced we were going to be fine. Second time I had the tub full - much shorter walk
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:31 PM   #15
Illinell
'03 IMPE All Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
Here is another view of that same crane. I wonder what is directly below it?

I believe it is hanging right over the street (57th?). I take the subway right under this every day and worry that the crane falling may mess up my commute.

No matter what happens, it is a pretty unbelievable sight.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:59 AM   #16
ctblaisdell83
Things not so bad a bit firther north...not nearly as bad here as Irene or Halloween Blizzard 2011.

NYC really got blasted. Saw pix of water flooding into a ConEd underground station. And wonder if anyone saw Jim Cantore (Weather Channel) standing in Battery Park saying Irene was worse...5 min later he said, wait a minute the water keeps rising; this is gonna be way worse than Irene.

Good luck, Illinell
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:12 PM   #17
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
A lot of the damage in New Jersey really hits home for me. My whole dad's family lives out there and I visit every summer. I saw pictures of the Sea Girt boardwalk just torn up, and I have a family picture of all of us on the boardwalk. So many memories.
illinifan31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:59 AM   #18
Illinell
'03 IMPE All Star
Brooklyn was hit or miss. Williamsburg (rather north) got crushed, as did Red Hook (south). I live in the center and am fine.

Lower Manhattan is a mess due to loss of power. We still have offices that don't have power, and have cross loaded folks to farther north offices for power and workspace.

The big drama today is trying to get into the city. All cars on the bridges are being checked to make sure they have 3 occupants, and trying to get on a bus from BK has wreaked havoc. I live by the Barclays center (Atlantic Pacific stop, critical stop to city from BK) and choppers have been flying overhead all morning following the masses. Crazy.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:15 AM   #19
IntenselyOrange
Many of us in NJ are still without power. Many houses still have trees or telephone poles lying on them. Yet, we're back to work. The commute in from NJ was horrific today. The normal train traffic was pushed onto buses. However, no extra buses were running! Standing room only if the bus was lucky enough to make it past the third stop with space. I had to go two towns over to get one before it filled. Voter turnout will be abysmal tomorrow. I'm not sure who it will help/hurt, but it's going to be almost impossible to vote unless you take advantage of electronic voting or choose not to go to work.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:02 PM   #20
illini80
Looking for an explanation of why a storm that caused $20B in damage justifies $60 Billion in relief from the federal government. Insurance companies will pick up most of the $20B from what I have read. I have seen no explanation of who exactly the money is for. Of course it is less than the $80B requested by the Governors, so I guess we should be thankful for that.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:25 AM   #21
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini80 View Post
Looking for an explanation of why a storm that caused $20B in damage justifies $60 Billion in relief from the federal government. Insurance companies will pick up most of the $20B from what I have read. I have seen no explanation of who exactly the money is for. Of course it is less than the $80B requested by the Governors, so I guess we should be thankful for that.
Depends on what that $20 billion number indicates, if that is material goods lost, then $60 billion probably makes sense when you add in the cost of living for displaced people, business lost to business owners, labor costs to rebuild, etc. I will admit, I never understood the role of govermental aid when you have insurance, I think it would help cover deductibles, lower insurance claims so premiums don't increase, cover the public safety officers who had to work overtime so that local departments aren't stressed, those types of things.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:45 AM   #22
illini80
As I suspected, much of the $60B has little or nothing to do with Sandy. It has everything to do with earmarks and pork projects. Another huge money grab.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...dfa_story.html

Includes $12B for block grants that nearly every state is eligible for and can be spent on a variety of pork projects. Includes money for planting trees, Amtrak, NOAA, Smithsonian, NASA, etc.

I am done with Chris Christie after this mess. When push comes to shove, he is no better than any of the others.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Chat | Next Thread »