Game 3: Illinois (2-0) at Hawaii

Friday, November 16th

Time: 11:30pm CT

TV: None

Free live video: https://secure.oceanic.com/Streaming/

Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:55 AM   #2
FeelYourPaign
TV: None
That is probably good, because the chances of me making it to 1:30 are low, low, low
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:59 AM   #3
IlliniFandom
According to kenpom, they are ranked 229. Looking at their previous box scores, they seem to rely on three-four guys pretty heavily for the bulk of the minutes. They have size and are very forward heavy and have some good experience. This game seems tough even though they may not be ranked as high as St. Francis, but they could pose some match-up problems for our guards.

PG - Brandon Spearman 6'3 Jr
F/G - Hauns Brereton 6'6 Sr
SF - Chrstian Standhardinger 6'8 Jr
C - Vander Joaquim 6'10 Sr

Those seem like the guys that get the heaviest rotation. I think it will be interesting to see if the Illini can wear these guys out with our athleticism and out-rebound/guard their length as a team. Should make for a good game.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:59 AM   #4
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
FWIW the last time we played @ Hawaii the live stream was great and was kept live without commercials. The 11:30 Friday night start time is fun too.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:02 AM   #5
WesterveltVictoryCigar
So far Hawaii has played at a very fast pace, almost 75 possessions/game. Could be dangerous to try and keep up on their home court, but if Groce is committed to it could make for a fun game to watch.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
So far Hawaii has played at a very fast pace, almost 75 possessions/game. Could be dangerous to try and keep up on their home court, but if Groce is committed to it could make for a fun game to watch.
I really don't think a fast pace is going to bother our team. If anything, we have a pretty solid 8-man rotation all of whom can run reasonably well, something most teams don't have. There aren't too many bigs like Nnanna out there, and Sam moves pretty well too. Even our deep bench (Devin, MLT, etc.) is going to be better than the deep bench for Hawaii more than likely. There are no guarantees on officiating, however!

Very few teams below the quality high major level are going to match our athletes, so a faster pace will generally favor us. Once we start playing the high quality teams that like a fast pace (at Gonzaga, for example), then it could definitely become an issue.

The biggest concern about Hawaii is that we are playing at their place and the jet lag issues. I think we have enough maturity on this team to counter that, but Hawaii will be a challenge as our first away game, and it is a true away game (far, far away!).
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:38 AM   #7
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
I really don't think a fast pace is going to bother our team.
It might if the 3 pointers aren't falling. We've shot them very, very well so far, despite BP and DJ only connecting at around 30%. I doubt we can keep that up, especially as you noted after a long trip and in a hostile arena. I'm very interested to see how this team responds given their struggle in recent seasons. At a faster pace, things can snowball rapidly.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:41 AM   #8
ssgg
Banned
Yeah, when we played there in 2007 there was a great stream of the game. Forget who streamed it.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:55 AM   #9
brosox
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Illini View Post
FWIW the last time we played @ Hawaii the live stream was great and was kept live without commercials. The 11:30 Friday night start time is fun too.
What made it even more interesting was that Hawaii had a big football game that night against Boise State or Nevada which was being televised on the overhead scoreboard for the Hawaii fans. You would be watching the basketball game (which was pretty close throughout--we won by just a couple of points I believe) and all of a sudden hear the crowd cheering for something that had nothing to do with the basketball game.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:55 AM   #10
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
It might if the 3 pointers aren't falling. We've shot them very, very well so far, despite BP and DJ only connecting at around 30%. I doubt we can keep that up, especially as you noted after a long trip and in a hostile arena. I'm very interested to see how this team responds given their struggle in recent seasons. At a faster pace, things can snowball rapidly.
I guess my answer is that if our threes aren't falling, I don't think any pace is going to help us. As long as we play good defense and rebound we have a chance, and I think our inside shots and free throws will start falling. We will get better and better at fast breaks if we keep running. Again, against teams with less physical talent and depth.

I don't think we are going to collapse when we get our noses bloodied. The coaches are pretty good about making the point that it's going to happen at some point, and they are prepping the players for it mentally.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:59 AM   #11
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgg View Post
Yeah, when we played there in 2007 there was a great stream of the game. Forget who streamed it.
Maybe the link Dan provided?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Next to @B1G_Samb0 this whole flight...needless to say there's not a lot of room..

HAWAII BOUND!!!! #illini

http://twitter.com/MLaTulip_5
Quote:
Long flight but after yesterday I will be doing it with a smile ✈ #illinination #ILL

http://twitter.com/Dustin_Ford
This may be the team's flight-
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL300
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:32 AM   #13
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
This may be the team's flight-
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL300
What's really sad is I paid more to fly from Huntsville, AL to Chicago than the fare listed for that flight...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:34 AM   #14
IlliniTilDeath
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
What's really sad is I paid more to fly from Huntsville, AL to Chicago than the fare listed for that flight...
You definitely got ripped off. Not sure how they found a United flight for that cheap....but finding flights through other carriers, outside of United & American for that price is pretty easy outside of Holidays.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:37 AM   #15
Railsplitter
Banned
I wonder how many times the video will stop on my computer since i'm not really agenius at this stuff . Any advice ?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:39 AM   #16
Kramer116
I am expecting a close win against Hawaii.

We are going to struggle to shoot in one of these games coming up.

I am going with a 68-61 score or something along those lines.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:40 AM   #17
IlliniTilDeath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
I wonder how many times the video will stop on my computer since i'm not really agenius at this stuff . Any advice ?
Probably your internet connection and/or your computer performance. Close programs, connect ethernet cable?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:44 AM   #18
Railsplitter
Banned
I've got Hughes as my provider, its the mid price range pkg. but it may work faster at that time of night. Like I said , I'm NOT a computer geek in any way .
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:44 AM   #19
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
I think that's the one-way fare average listed. Lowest roundtrip fares for that flight on United website are in the $620 range.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:58 AM   #20
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
I've got Hughes as my provider, its the mid price range pkg. but it may work faster at that time of night. Like I said , I'm NOT a computer geek in any way .
Satellite internet can get some pretty poor latency at times depending on the condition of the skies.

Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:35 AM   #21
bleedsorangenblue
Also have Hughes and my experience is the same as yours....... sucks! I have begun to think that wireless might even be better Am moving to where I will get broadband at the end of the month and am soooooo looking forward to it.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:37 AM   #22
jackman404
Banned
Are any of the other Maui teams arriving early to play a game before the tournament like this? I would think that having a few extra days to sleep off the jet lag is a big advantage for us. I think we're going to win this. No idea what the score will be, but we've got too much talent to drop a game like this.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:41 AM   #23
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman404 View Post
Are any of the other Maui teams arriving early to play a game before the tournament like this? I would think that having a few extra days to sleep off the jet lag is a big advantage for us. I think we're going to win this. No idea what the score will be, but we've got too much talent to drop a game like this.
Illinois' the only Maui team playing Hawaii.

Yeah good point, early arrival could be an advantage for Illini Monday vs USC.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:54 PM   #24
ssgg
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Illinois' the only Maui team playing Hawaii.

Yeah good point, early arrival could be an advantage for Illini Monday vs USC.
Our terrible team in 2007 destroyed a decent, James Harden led ASU team in 2007. The game was over after five minutes when we opened up a 20-0 lead IIRC.

I think it definitely helped.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:13 PM   #25
joekam
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgg View Post
Our terrible team in 2007 destroyed a decent, James Harden led ASU team in 2007.
Wow... interesting to hear the name now that he is a pretty big deal. I do remember the game, but didn't know Harden and our Illini had crossed paths.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »