Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

11/16 Games

Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:16 PM   #1
zoggle101
Well the Buffalo's just took out Baylor. I wasn't as impressed with the Bears as I thought I wouldbe. Jackson and a bunch of their guys Walton and Bello look for theirs instead of feeding Austin who plays too laid back and breaking down the defenses to get Helsip better looks. I don't want to write them off too early as sweet 16 capable but they'll lose in the second round or third round if hey play like this in the NCAA. Good thing it's only November. I'm still not penciling in the Buffalo's to do better than fifth or sixth in he PAC but what a huge momentum moving win today backing up the hype many analyst put on Colorado. Askia Booker is a scorer, Roberson gives you elite athleticism, Spencer DimwiDdie is very capable of playing meaningful minutes, and their role players are solid especially their freshmen. I still would like to watch them a couple more times before putting them in the top three in a tougher PAC conference than last year.

Wow, OSU has heart even if they beat a Volunteer's team hat doesn't have a first team all conference type in Jeronne Maymon who started his career off at Marquette after being a highly touted prep player out of Wisconson. Throw him in there and Tennessee becomes a tournament quality team even if it's just more towards the bubble. I wonder if Renaldo Woolridge would have been better off staying in Knoxville instead of using the immediately eligible waiver to suit up for the USC Trojans? I feel like the Vols needed his length and depth more than USC. Let's get back to he Cowboys. They have lost three valuable players already this year. Brian Williams who is a high flyer that made sports center top 10 a few times last year with dunks broke a bone in his wrist on a monstrous dunk in practice a couple weeks ago, big man Michael Cobbins who probably also starts was injured a week ago and in my opinion the third best player on the team Jean Paul Olukemi went down in their game yesterday. If Nash, and Smart come back next year and JP Olukemi gets a sixth year if he can't come back this year than Travis Ford has a legitimate Sweet 16 team in 2013-14. Theyre almost in the same boat as Providence who doesn't have Ricardo Ledo, Kris Dunn, and senior Vicent Council going down with an injury. The Friars have a couple big additions not including those three I believe eligible after the fall semester. If They get Council another year If he doesn't come back plus Dunn, Ledo eligible along with a great group of young players should have them in the top 25 all year with Elite 8 aspirations.

Side note and as off topic as my Providence rant: everyone is talking about Shabazz Muhammad's eligibility, Kyle Anderson ability to play four positions, Tony Parker getting experience, setting him up for a breakout sophomore year, but it's Jordan Adams who has went Bananas so far this year catching my attention even if they haven't played a tough schedule this early in th year. It's not surprising because he was very highly rated out of hs but 24 ppg which is good for team best wasn't something I thought would happen from this freshman. Muhammad is probably the best freshman in the country in my opinion but the numbers for Adams look like he should be an All American along with freshman Player of the Year(PYO).
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:55 PM   #2
illiniracers
Kind of a lose lose situation for Murray State now. Was hoping to play Baylor when beat St Johns tonight to help the resume. Now we would have to lose tonight to play them. Time to win the whole thing.
illiniracers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:15 PM   #3
TownieMatt
Anyone else watching Purdue and my Oregon State Beavers?

Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Holdemall
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Well the Buffalo's just took out Baylor. I wasn't as impressed with the Bears as I thought I wouldbe. Jackson and a bunch of their guys Walton and Bello look for theirs instead of feeding Austin who plays too laid back.

(PYO).

Baylor looked like crap. Towards the end of the game, they were owning the Buffs in the interior, so the Baylor guards decided they would hog the ball for the last 3 minutes. Austin was absolutely owning anyone who tried to check him. My thesis is that Scott Drew is an awful coach-perhaps the Ron Zook of basketball? Can get talent and then does very little of significance. It isn't so much the loss as the way they lost that irked me. Selfish, undisciplined basketball with no plan.
Colorado shot incredibly poorly from the foul line and blew numerous chances to ice the game in the last 2 minutes or so. 4-18 from the line.
Holdemall is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:34 PM   #5
zoggle101
I hope Purdue takes out a pesky Oregon State team after the heart breaking way they lost to a better than I expected Nova squad. It should be fun to watch Ahmad Starks take on Ronnie Johnson. Starks is having a great year and in my opinion Johnson is a heck of a floor general especially for a freshman. Kid has amazing court vision, passing ability, and high IQ player. Purdue looked good last night for most of he game. They're going to play a deep bench with capable guys and this is a team I could see doing very well next year as in top 25 with everyone returning except Byrd plus a solid recruiting class. Simpson is big dude but goes up soft almost like Pruitt. Kids going to fill out and be a solid player even though he is pretty big now. Hammons with condition will be a four year contributor. Seriously this isn't a bad Boilermakers team. Painter needs Jacob Lawson on the floor more. I'm not sure if Painter doesn't realize this or Lawson doesn't have the endurance to play more minutes. I saw him a couple of times really winded.

Nova definitely impressed last night. I figured losing guys like Dominic Cheeks, and Maalik Wayns to early departures along with a guy like Isaiah Armwood who transferred a couple seasons ago would make it a down year. There I still plenty of talent for the Wildcats to sneak into the top 8 of the Big East. They also lost heir top rated player in 2011 in pg Tyrone Johnson who I can't find listed on another D 1 offer. Kid would of probably started with Wayns, and Cheek leaving but Ryan ArchiDiacono even though he is a gunner would have gave him competition.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:06 PM   #6
TownieMatt
Oregon State 66, Purdue 58. Purdue really struggled to score against a mediocre Oregon State defense.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:20 AM   #7
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
Oregon State 66, Purdue 58. Purdue really struggled to score against a mediocre Oregon State defense.
Purdue is a doormat team this year. Zero talent on that team.

Penn State beat Providence in OT. The score was 43-43 at the end of regulation

Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:16 PM   #8
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Purdue is a doormat team this year. Zero talent on that team.

Penn State beat Providence in OT. The score was 43-43 at the end of regulation

I agree about Purdue. Let's see what kind of magic show Painter can pulloff this year, because they're also very disjointed offensively right now and that can be fixed.
stevo99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
No matter how bad Purdue plays in the non-con, I still think they'll give us all we can handle (and maybe more) at Mackey.

Then again, it is a new era!

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Foo G is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:14 PM   #10
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
No matter how bad Purdue plays in the non-con, I still think they'll give us all we can handle (and maybe more) at Mackey.

Then again, it is a new era!
It's so hard to win on the road in college basketball. Home refs make it almost impossible, unless you are clearly the much better team.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:36 PM   #11
zoggle101
Purdue isn't that bad and will only get better.

I'm surprised Providence lost to PSU even if they are missing five players that include senior Vicent Council, two stellar freshman and two transfers who I believe are eligible in the spring. If Council can't play this year and gets a fifth year then they'll be a top 25 team all of next year.

I have no clue what to think about Vanderbilt. They are struggling but do have talent. Stallings should have a team that gets better as the year goes along. If they don't make the NCAA next year barring minimum roster turnover.

Two sophomore classes that have disappointed me this year are Vaderbilt and West Va. Two that are building off of last year are Texas even without capable big man Julian Bond and Myck Kobongo along with Alabama. TAnthony Grants Crimson Tide only has 10 scholarship players because of a transfer by Charles Hankerson who is now at Wyoming, Tony Mitchell getting kicked off the team last year then electing to declare for the draft. Mitchell was a post graduate anyway and being in school another year seemed not to matter and JayMychal Green. They elected to only take one scholarship guy in Devonta pollard which is really all they needed if Moussa Gueye and Carl Engstrom step up. They have for the most part right now.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:17 PM   #12
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Purdue isn't that bad and will only get better.

I'm surprised Providence lost to PSU even if they are missing five players that include senior Vicent Council, two stellar freshman and two transfers who I believe are eligible in the spring. If Council can't play this year and gets a fifth year then they'll be a top 25 team all of next year.

I have no clue what to think about Vanderbilt. They are struggling but do have talent. Stallings should have a team that gets better as the year goes along. If they don't make the NCAA next year barring minimum roster turnover.

Two sophomore classes that have disappointed me this year are Vaderbilt and West Va. Two that are building off of last year are Texas even without capable big man Julian Bond and Myck Kobongo along with Alabama. TAnthony Grants Crimson Tide only has 10 scholarship players because of a transfer by Charles Hankerson who is now at Wyoming, Tony Mitchell getting kicked off the team last year then electing to declare for the draft. Mitchell was a post graduate anyway and being in school another year seemed not to matter and JayMychal Green. They elected to only take one scholarship guy in Devonta pollard which is really all they needed if Moussa Gueye and Carl Engstrom step up. They have for the most part right now.
Stop it. Purdue is awful and Providence is HORRENDOUS.

Purdiue has too many scrappers and not enough talent. Sure they might beat Illinois. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night. That said, Purdue ends up with no more than 15 wins this year.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:37 PM   #13
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Yeah, Purdue seems like one of maybe two teams likely to finish below Illinois in the Big10
AK Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:51 PM   #14
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Illini View Post
Yeah, Purdue seems like one of maybe two teams likely to finish below Illinois in the Big10
You wouldn't be a betting man, would you...

Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:06 PM   #15
zoggle101
I agree that Purdue might only win 15 games. They have a very tough schedule and it wouldn't surprise me to see them end up with a high RPI even with a sub 500 record. They shouldn't of lost to Villanova or Bucknell. Did you see how the Nova game ended in regulation and I'm assuming you know that Terrone Johnson didnt play against Bucknell. Like you said anyone can beat anybody on any giving day which is exactly what happened against the Bison. This is a very young team that is going to be a fringe bubble/NIT team this year and a certain tournament team next year. Bottom line is I believe Purdue has a good young team that isn't going to role over for anyone.

If you think Purdues loss to the best team Craig Robinson has ever fielded wouldn't make sense this year or would of a loss to a Dayton team that should get better every game. Player on OSU that impressed with his length and athleticism is Eric Moreland. He might not score a lot but he hits the boards hard. He's not even their top player but one really hasn't separated themselves from the rest of the team. This Beavers team would of been a known commodity if Jared Cunningham doesn't bolt to the NBA to ride the pine(JK kinda) but with guys like Roberto Nlson, Ahmad Starks, Devon Collier and Angus Brandt they will compete consistently against tough teams with the ability to pull an upset. This is a team that is playing legitimately for a NCAA birth.

Providence shouldn't turn heads unless you really pay attention to college ball. They are without five of their top players this year with a few key freshman and sophomores getting needed experience this year. It's a long time from now with question marks around Council, Ledo, and Dunn. Be patient with the Friars.

Last edited by zoggle101; Nov 17, 2012 at 06:18 PM.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »