Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Maui Invitational Pregame: Illinois vs USC, Monday, November 19th, 11:00pm CT, ESPN2

Closed Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:37 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Game 4: Illinois (3-0) vs USC (2-0)

Monday, November 19th

Maui Invitational

11:00pm CT

TV: ESPN2

Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:33 AM   #2
OrangePower
Banned
It's just an early November game, but it may tell us something about Groce and the team. Do they have a let down after an emotional win or do they manage to keep steady and play well. There's a guy in East Lansing that may be one of the best in these tournament type situations...hopefully we have one similar.

P.S. I've got a 4 month old or I probably wouldn't be up posting.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:35 AM   #3
IlliniSteve
I like these late starts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:49 AM   #4
U of I 89-05-10
Let's keep building, boys. I think this team will just continue to improve.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Blessd24
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePower View Post

P.S. I've got a 4 month old or I probably wouldn't be up posting.
Seems like a good reason to be up and posting.

I've got a 4 year old, 2 year old and 9 month old. I don't want to hear an excuses for anything from you.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Big10Man
Banned
If one good thing comes out of the Hawaii game (aside from winning, of course!), the coaches now have the team's attention! Vacation time is over. Time to get down to business. This is a business trip after all (as Coach Groce has been saying all along).
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:59 AM   #7
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Now that we've seen just how terrible we are on the glass against even modest size, I don't see how we win.

61 ILL 65 USC
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:13 AM   #8
DaytonIllini
Villanova had a huge letdown vs. Alabama after their big comeback against Purdue. Will Illinois have the same problem vs. USC? Hopefully Coach Groce can stress to the team that the first half possessions are just as important as the second half and that you can only dig yourself out of a hole so often.

P.S. Purdue lost AGAIN.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:30 AM   #9
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Villanova had a huge letdown vs. Alabama after their big comeback against Purdue. Will Illinois have the same problem vs. USC? Hopefully Coach Groce can stress to the team that the first half possessions are just as important as the second half and that you can only dig yourself out of a hole so often.
Well, we have a couple of days to come down from the high of this win, that probably helps. What's interesting is we play another team that's hard to predict how good they are in USC. We'll be their first good test this season, too.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Magoo2
Just got back from snorkeling at the Sheraton this morning. A ocean dip at 630 is just the thing to invigorate a body in the morning! Besides seeing 4 sea turtles and thousands of fish, we ran into the Texas basketball team and talked to Brad Stevens for a few seconds. We are going to go back down to the Sheraton later to see if we can meet our team.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:53 AM   #11
bootsy
Don't see us having much trouble in this game. It may be closer than I'm anticipating but I'm still expecting a comfortable win.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:00 PM   #12
trevdv
USC - 72
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Redbirds33333
ILLINI - 81
USC - 78

Close, Senior-Led Win
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:07 PM   #14
U of I 89-05-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Illini View Post
Now that we've seen just how terrible we are on the glass against even modest size, I don't see how we win.

61 ILL 65 USC
Just never were an optimist, were you, AK? Haha.

One of the things that encouraged me about last night was that even though we didn't shoot overly well and got out rebounded, we didn't let that stop us from grinding out a win ... I think our 2012, 2011, 2010, etc. teams lose that game. This team got punched in the gut in the first half during its first road test of the year and in its third game under a new system and new coach, and they responded by storming back and doing everything it took to get the W.

I think we come out fired up, hit our shots and show the world that this Illinois team is not to be overlooked. Then we'll see what happens vs. Texas.

Fighting Illini 76
Trojans 62
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:17 PM   #15
stevo99
I think we'll be ready to play. It's always the best as a coach when you get the 'W' but you have legit reasons to ride their ass. This will translate into intensity the first 10 minutes, IMO. Then we see if USC can take a punch.

USC 67

I'm pretty sure Groce didn't want to play the Hawaii game, but the way it played out couldn't of worked out better for us.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:49 PM   #16
Dan
Admin
Illini have arrived!
Quote:
Landed in Maui.

http://twitter.com/momash09
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:52 PM   #17
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Landed in Maui - have practice in 2 hours. Clean up and prep for Monday this afternoon.

http://twitter.com/Dustin_Ford
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:53 PM   #18
Illini70math
I think having played the Hawaii game gives us an edge. We shot 25% from three (3 of 12) in the first half, 29.6% from the field overall (8 of 27), and we won the game after being badly outrebounded. If I were the USC coach, I would be very concerned.

These Illini will live and die with our outside shooting, but so far we are shooting 35 of 86 for 40.7% from three this season -- and we haven't really had super shooting from some guys we know can shoot the ball. I don't expect us to shoot 40% from three for the season, but we appear to be a better outside shooting team than many expected. Coach Groce thinks so, and I think he is right.

FWIW, the game-winning shot against Hawaii is exactly why we can be dangerous this season. That is the type of kick-out three that is almost impossible to deny completely when Groce's offense is executed correctly. Hawaii didn't play bad defense as their coach pointed out, but they lost because they didn't play perfect defense (as he noted) and our guy made the open shot.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:11 PM   #19
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Fresh off the flight to maui. Bout to head to practice http://pic.twitter.com/uU7jdjx4

http://twitter.com/kevinberardini
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:40 PM   #20
Dan
Admin
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:57 PM   #21
Dan
Admin
Quote:
#Illini have arrived in Maui. @1Abrams3 is greeted at the airport. @EASportsMauiInv http://pic.twitter.com/e51jMRGg

http://twitter.com/IlliniHoops
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:02 PM   #22
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Basketball has taken me so many places: Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, Cancun...not to mention 25+ states. Including Hawaii #TrulyBlessed

http://twitter.com/BP3
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:37 PM   #23
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Illini View Post

61 ILL 65 USC
I will wait to see if is a trend or if they just had a bad night on the boards.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:30 PM   #24
zoggle101
Modest size??? Hawaii was a big NCAA team in my opinion. Fotu the freshman with the fro from a foreign country seemed taller than they have him listed. Every time I saw him he was ver active also. Joaquim is a monster, they played a 6'7 sf, and sg at times not to mention Tavita the transfer from Utah was 6'4. Spearman isn't small either. I'm not saying USC is smaller because they're not, I'm just not worried about Oraby being really dominate meaning they slide Dedmon over to the center spot making them smaller at with either a smallish pf like Aaron Fuller(ex Iowa guy), or one of the many bigger sg/wings they have.. They have big wings and guards just like Hawaii and we'll see hopefully(that Hawaii feed was garbage) this time how we do against a legitimately bigger team.

Side note: I didn't really notice Bereton but with the feed it was tough. Stanhardinger wasn't bad but is tha who DJ hit the 3 on?

Last edited by zoggle101; Nov 17, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:31 PM   #25
drumanimal
Thank you Espn2 for covering this game! Our radio broadcast crew is great an all but man that stream was the worst yet. Why can't they work these broadcast issues out? it is 2012 right. Seems like back in the day all the games where on channel 3.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »