Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Conference Realignment Thread (Maryland & Rutgers join the Big Ten conference)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:47 PM   #26
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
Where is UConn...? Listen, if we're going to 14, why not just do 16?

Add UConn and another Big East school and call it a conference.
Academically UConn is poor, at least in comparison to the rest of the B1G. They don't add anything that Rutgers doesn't add, so there would be some duplication there. I think they are the odd man out.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:52 PM   #27
champaignchris
Big Ten is not adding a school that's barely played I-A football for a decade. (UConn.)
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:52 PM   #28
WesterveltVictoryCigar
I'm assuming these are all a bunch of false rumors. Or hoping they are, because I think it would be an awful move. Financially it may work out, but as a fan I think it would really stink. It means we play our natural rivals even less than we do now and I don't give a damn about MD or Rutgers.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:54 PM   #29
DrewD007
It'd be pretty disappointing, at least in comparison to what the SEC did to get to 14.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:56 PM   #30
mattcoldagelli
It's not thrilling, but I don't really understand the freak out.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:56 PM   #31
Rich
JFG Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drillini View Post
Missouri does not open any new doors....we are already in the St. Louis market. Maryland opens up the beltway with DC and Baltimore. Rutgers opens up NJ and NY. Those two schools do go well with Penn St. Those schools do fit in with the Big Ten but are not glamorous from an athletic point of view. However, money is the big motivator for this.
She made her choice. Destroy her team.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:57 PM   #32
Rich
JFG Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by champaignchris View Post
Big Ten is not adding a school that's barely played I-A football for a decade. (UConn.)
But they have Chandler Whitmer!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:58 PM   #33
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
It'd be pretty disappointing, at least in comparison to what the SEC did to get to 14.
I'd rather have Mizzou than either MD or Rutgers. Of course you and I see this from the StL prism, and adding that rivalry would be fun for us. Adding MDand Rutgers will add a lot more $$ than Mizzou and anybody else not named Notre Dame. It's a money grab, pure and simple.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:02 PM   #34
Clemens
The new $50 million exit fee for an ACC member to leave the league may not stand in the way of conference realignment after all.

I just had to laugh when the ACC did this, monetary penalties have not proven to be much of a deterrent to teams that want to leave a conference. If a team really wants to change conferences, penalties are not going to stop them.

I could easily see maryland and rutgers joining the B10, it definitely expands the reach of the B10 into new markets. Whether or not it happens though is really up to one person, delany and until he speaks out it's hard to say what will happen.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:04 PM   #35
illinicb
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Financially it may work out, but as a fan I think it would really stink.
It will always be about the former, not the latter.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:08 PM   #36
illinicb
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
I'd rather have Mizzou than either MD or Rutgers. Of course you and I see this from the StL prism, and adding that rivalry would be fun for us. Adding MDand Rutgers will add a lot more $$ than Mizzou and anybody else not named Notre Dame. It's a money grab, pure and simple.
And I wish Kate Beckinsale had married me, but like Missouri going to the SEC, that deal is done.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:12 PM   #37
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post
And I wish Kate Beckinsale had married me, but like Missouri going to the SEC, that deal is done.
Kate Beckinsale, Kate Upton, Katie Couric. Your just crazy about those Kates CB
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:26 PM   #38
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post
It will always be about the former, not the latter.
No !!!!. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:27 PM   #39
chief illiniwek
it's an ILLINI thing
NO.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:33 PM   #40
carmelillini
I'm fine with these adds. NY/NJ markets and DC is huge. Delany will negotiate a monster TV deal in 2017.
Bonus: a couple of FB teams we might have a chance to beat.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:57 PM   #41
aberger
Quote:
Originally Posted by drillini View Post
Missouri does not open any new doors....we are already in the St. Louis market. Maryland opens up the beltway with DC and Baltimore. Rutgers opens up NJ and NY. Those two schools do go well with Penn St. Those schools do fit in with the Big Ten but are not glamorous from an athletic point of view. However, money is the big motivator for this.
It isn't about basketball or academics (sorry Nebraska). Its about football and/or tv sets, and preferably both.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:01 PM   #42
aberger
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
I'm fine with these adds. NY/NJ markets and DC is huge. Delany will negotiate a monster TV deal in 2017.
You are correct. The tv money is about to explode. The Big 10 would add a lot of people in very populous areas. ND's football tv deal will be completely dwarfed by the revenue sharing deal in 2017. It will be a billion dollar year plus deal. Mark my words.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:01 PM   #43
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
Couple? Maryland maybe, but Rutgers has only won fewer than 8 games just once in the past 7 years.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:10 PM   #44
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Couple? Maryland maybe, but Rutgers has only won fewer than 8 games just once in the past 7 years.
True. B1G would need to add Seton Hall and Providence to get us some wins.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:18 PM   #45
U of I 89-05-10
I'll say this first, so realize this before reading the rest of this post: I DO NOT WANT ANY MORE SCHOOLS. I wasn't wild about the Nebraska addition, but I like the current setup enough, and I want it to stay this way. With that said, people are being a little harsh on these two, IMO. Anyway, just for everyone's reading pleasure, I'll post some figures (it's break ):

ACADEMIC RANKING
Maryland: 58th
Rutgers: 68th

For comparison, Illinois is 46th.

STATE POPULATION
13. New Jersey (RU): 8.8 million
19. Maryland (UMD): 5.8 million

For comparison, Illinois is 5th at 12.8 million.

FOOTBALL STADIUM CAPACITY
Maryland: 54,000
Rutgers: 52,454

For comparison, UI's Memorial Stadium is at 60,670.

2011 AVERAGE FOOTBALL ATTENDANCE
54. Rutgers: 43,761 (with a 9-4 record)
56. Maryland: 42,355 (with a 2-10 record)

For comparison, Illinois was 42nd with 49,548 (with a 6-6 record ... but we know the details ).

BASKETBALL ARENA CAPACITY
Maryland: 17,950
Rutgers: 8,000

For comparison, UI's Assembly Hall is at 16,618.

2012 AVERAGE BASKETBALL ATTENDANCE
22. Maryland: 13,182 (with a 17-15 record)
98. Rutgers: 5,362 (with a 14-18 record)

For comparison, Illinois was 14th with 14,986 (with a 17-15 record, but again, we kind of collapsed a la football).

ENDOWMENT
Maryland: $792 million
Rutgers: $700 million

For comparison, Illinois' was $1.6 billion.

2011 ATHLETIC REVENUES
Maryland: $61,634,829
Rutgers: $60,190,100

For comparison, Illinois was at $77,863,883.

MAJOR TV MARKETS
#1) New York, NY-NJ-PA (RU): 15,340,000 - shared with many others
#8) Washington, DC (UMD): 4,041,300 - shared with VT and UVA
#19) Baltimore, MD (UMD): 2,236,800
#36) Middlesex, NJ (RU): 1,372,700
#51) Monmouth, NJ (RU): 995,300

For comparison, Illinois' would be #3) Chicago with 7,612,100 (we compete mainly with NU and UND) and #20) St. Louis with 2,210,800.

Illinois looks like a better addition across the board than the two (), but they could be much worse.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:19 PM   #46
JimmyChitwood
I prefer to see a bigger B1G. It was bound to happen sooner or later. I expect a few from the West Coast to be added soon too so the B1G Network can grab those markets too.

Out of curiosity, Dan, what are your reasons for not wanting this exactly?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:21 PM   #47
drumanimal
Wow, interesting. Does that mean add more games for both Football and Basketball?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:22 PM   #48
Letswinagain
Maryland and Rutgers both are the Land Grant Universities for their respective states, as are most of the other B1G schools. (Michigan, Iowa, Northwestern and Indiana are the exceptions).

As a previous poster mentioned, their addition would open two large and fiscally important media markets. This also would put the B1G in direct competition in recruiting and sales with the ACC and Big East. This is a bold move by the B1G, and I applaud it.

Basketball ramifications could be huge from a recruiting perspective.

This also presents the opportunity for a logical east-west B1G conference divisions, making travel within divisions more logical and probably somewhat cheaper.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:28 PM   #49
U of I 89-05-10
One side note that I PERSONALLY hate about realignment is how much less often we play everyone now. I live in Iowa City and have since I was 7, so it's been fun to have a friendly rivalry with my Iowa friends ... they'd beat us in football, we'd usually take care of them in basketball ... it was fun. Now, we haven't played them since I was a junior in high school (2008 season) and won't again until I'm out of college (I graduate in 2014). That's ridiculous.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:44 PM   #50
sinmyp
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »