Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Conference Realignment Thread (Maryland & Rutgers join the Big Ten conference)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:46 PM   #51
uiba99
Tiny Illini
I don't know, it makes sense to me from a fiscal standpoint. And both schools are solid academically and not terrible at sports. But at what point do they rename the conference?

"The danger is all around us now. Hatred is rising, yet all sides feel more virtuous. We’re asleep to the threat. We can have the most sophisticated Constitution, a brilliant system of checks and balances and a Bill of Rights to safeguard against the tyranny of the majority — yet none of it can stand against the power of hatred."
Fr. John I. Jenkins, President, University of Notre Dame
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:49 PM   #52
bleedsorangenblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
I'm fine with these adds. NY/NJ markets and DC is huge. Delany will negotiate a monster TV deal in 2017.
Bonus: a couple of FB teams we might have a chance to beat.
This is about my feeling exactly....... We are already in Happy Valley so we might as well expand further into the East. I like Maryland as a B-ball school. Could care less about football, though I know it fuels all this. I guess they fit academically (?) better than MO. ND is not happening so it makes sense in a backwards consolation prize sort of way.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:51 PM   #53
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
This makes sense to me. Adds the eastern market more for the B1G. Allows them to add another conference game. Larger TV markets and more money.
I can certainly see this as a viable addition. Perhaps the only reason we didn't do it earlier was that everyone was waiting for ND to make a move. The potential addition of the NY/NJ and NOVA TV markets could make this fly. These are also two more land-grant schools that fit the B1G culturally and academically.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:52 PM   #54
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post
And I wish Kate Beckinsale had married me, but like Missouri going to the SEC, that deal is done.
Not gonna happen, I have dibs.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:59 PM   #55
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by U of I 89-05-10 View Post
ACADEMIC RANKING
Maryland: 58th
Rutgers: 68th

For comparison, Illinois is 46th.
Academic Ranking of World Universities:
19 Wisconsin
22 Michigan
25 Illinois
29 Minnesota
30 Northwestern
38 Maryland
49 Penn State
56 Purdue
61 Rutgers
65 Ohio State
84 Indiana
96 Michigan State
101-150 University of Iowa
115-200 University of Nebraska - Lincoln

Conclusion: Maryland and Rutgers fit the B1G academic profile. Moreover, Rutgers could benefit benefit academically from joining the B1G much as Penn State did a while back.

Last edited by Groundhogday; Nov 17, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:03 PM   #56
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
I am all for Maryland joining the conference. Love the prestige that goes with that school. I also don't have a problem with Rutgers. However, I don't know that both of them are necessary.

If I am living in a dream world, I would take Maryland and then court a Georgia Tech for that 14th spot.

Since I am not in the room with the folks that make those decisions, I have no idea the feasibility of attracting a G. Tech. I would just like to see us take a bigger chunk out of the ACC with a move like this, while still expanding our regions.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:07 PM   #57
theanonymousillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I can certainly see this as a viable addition. Perhaps the only reason we didn't do it earlier was that everyone was waiting for ND to make a move. The potential addition of the NY/NJ and NOVA TV markets could make this fly. These are also two more land-grant schools that fit the B1G culturally and academically.
I'm also a fan of this move. It makes sense financially and they fit the academic profile. I'd also rather move East or West than pick off more teams in the Midwest. Rutgers especially could take a step to the next level with the backing of B1G $$.

I'd also like to point out that all signs point to 4 super conferences in the future. The SEC, B1G, ACC, and PAC-12 look like the 4. I'd rather make a move that makes sense now than scramble later.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:10 PM   #58
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyChitwood View Post
Out of curiosity, Dan, what are your reasons for not wanting this exactly?
Two reasons:

1) 14 is too many. A 14-team "conference" is not a true conference in relation to playing everyone in football and getting the teams you want to play at home in men's basketball.

In football with an 8-game schedule, there's 5 teams (!) you do not play.

Even with a 9-game schedule in football (and no school's AD wants to go there), there's still 4 teams you won't play in a given season.

In men's basketball, well no idea. You probably won't play the team you want to play twice in a season, let alone once in your own arena.

It's too much of a void. Too much luck with a given team's schedule.

2) From a sports perspective, Rutgers & Maryland bring nothing to the table.

Football = nothing.

Men's basketball = nothing.

I'm not saying they're incapable of beating Illinois in football or men's basketball. They are. They're quality teams from time-to-time. But, they're just another random team. They're not elite in anything.

It's not like playing Nebraska or Penn State in football. Beating Nebraska and/or Penn State in football (and women's volleyball) is special.

There's absolutely nothing exceptional about playing Rutgers and/or Maryland in football and/or men's basketball.

If this happens, the B1G conference is diluted. There's less chance of playing teams we want to play because we're bringing in teams we don't really care about. And that sucks.

Last edited by Dan; Nov 17, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:11 PM   #59
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanonymousillini View Post
I'd also like to point out that all signs point to 4 super conferences in the future. The SEC, B1G, ACC, and PAC-12 look like the 4. I'd rather make a move that makes sense now than scramble later.
This move would also seriously weaken the ACC in their attempt to claim the east coast. I have to believe this is a strategic move to counter the ACC deal with Notre Dame.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:14 PM   #60
dgcrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Two reasons:

1) 14 is too many. A 14-team "conference" is not a true conference in relation to playing everyone in football and getting the teams you want to play at home in men's basketball.

Even with a 9-game schedule in football (and no school's AD wants to go there), there's still 4 teams you won't play in a given season.

In men's basketball, well no idea. You probably won't play the team you want to play twice in a season, let alone once in your own arena.

Football = nothing.

I'm not saying they're incapable of beating Illinois in football or men's basketball. They are. They're quality teams from time-to-time. But, they're just another random team. They're not elite in anything.

It's not like playing Nebraska or Penn State in football. Beating Nebraska and/or Penn State in football is special.

There's absolutely nothing exceptional about playing Rutgers and/or Maryland in football and/or men's basketball today.

If this happens, the B1G conference is diluted. There's less chance of playing teams we want to play because we're bring in teams we don't really care about. And that sucks.
+1. Totally agree. While maybe Maryland and Rutgers might add something academically to the conference, they would add very little athletically (except maybe more TV $$$), and such an expansion would further dilute other Big 10 rivalries.

Last edited by dgcrow; Nov 17, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:14 PM   #61
trevdv
No no no no no no no no helllll to the noooo
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:16 PM   #62
trevdv
Quote:
Two reasons:

Football = nothing.

It's not like playing Nebraska or Penn State in football. Beating Nebraska and/or Penn State in football (and women's volleyball) is special.

There's absolutely nothing exceptional about playing Rutgers and/or Maryland in football and/or men's basketball.

If this happens, the B1G conference is diluted. There's less chance of playing teams we want to play because we're bringing in teams we don't really care about. And that sucks.
Could not agree more, Dan.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:20 PM   #63
chrisRunner7
I like the idea of adding Maryland. Good academic school, DC television market, usually has a decent men's basketball team. Big state school that fits the Big Ten profile.

Rutgers? Meh. I guess I understand the NYC television market stuff. But who gets excited about Rutgers? Nobody.

If we're picking ACC teams to add instead of Rutgers, I'd take Virginia, Georgia Tech, or North Carolina. But it's not like that's going to happen...
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:22 PM   #64
trevdv
See for me it's also mental (somewhat). Kind of like what Dan said, beating these teams is nothing spectacular. I can't picture in my head trying to get psyched up for "Illinois vs. Rutgers in the B1G opener!" or something like that. I don't picture Minnesota-Maryland as a key or interesting matchup. I can't even picture that being a conference game! Also, travel would be a bigger issue for teams like Nebraska or Iowa or the Illini too. Can you imagine Nebraska traveling to Rutgers AND Maryland in a football season? That's half the country! While this is already a reality with teams like Boise State in the Big East, flights could pose a problem too.

So what Dan said, and also (3) fan interest and (4) traveling.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:22 PM   #65
IlliniKat91
Quote:
This move would also seriously weaken the ACC in their attempt to claim the east coast. I have to believe this is a strategic move to counter the ACC deal with Notre Dame.
This.

If ND ever joined the Big Ten, the benefit to us TV-wise is the huge draw from the NYC area. Rutgers puts us on TVs there, and taking Maryland impacts the standing of the ACC. It makes it look like ND jumped onto a sinking ship, and perception is everything in the media. Doesn't matter if the rest of the ACC is stable as all get out.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:24 PM   #66
ct3illini
Quote:
Two reasons:

Football = nothing.

It hurts the closeness of the conference, but extra $$ is a good thing, and will keep our teams competitive. Plus, adding MD and RU with PSU places the B1G right into the heart of the east coast, from NYC to DC. Both schools are really good academically, very well respected. Either are better choices than Mizzou, for that reason alone. Geography and demographics make them even that much better. Also, MD is tough in b-ball, and RU is pretty good in football now. Maybe B1G will get league-wide lacrosse, which would be nice!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:26 PM   #67
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniKat91 View Post
This.

If ND ever joined the Big Ten, the benefit to us TV-wise is the huge draw from the NYC area. Rutgers puts us on TVs there, and taking Maryland impacts the standing of the ACC. It makes it look like ND jumped onto a sinking ship, and perception is everything in the media. Doesn't matter if the rest of the ACC is stable as all get out.
Yes. Just imagine ND playing football games at Rutgers and Maryland. It would be a big deal. Now we have just cut them out of the two largest ACC TV markets on the east coast.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:30 PM   #68
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct3illini View Post
Adding MD and RU with PSU places the B1G right into the heart of the east coast, from NYC to DC. Both schools are really good academically, very well respected. Also, MD is tough in b-ball, and RU is pretty good in football now. Maybe B1G will get league-wide lacrosse, which would be nice!
1) The idea of the Big Ten was to cover the elite or "big market" teams in the midwest. Being in the heart of the east coast is good for the midwest conference how??

2) Respected academically, yes. Respected athletically, maybe. Yes, I understand their academics are good, but a student in a chemistry class at Rutgers doesn't feel any closer to a student taking a chemistry class at Illinois if they join the Big Ten; the athletes of the school are the ones that compete with those in the Big Ten; academics has got nothing to do with how well respected a school is athletically.

3) Can we stop talking about how good or bad a school is CURRENTLY in a sport? This can change from year to year... by 2017 Rutgers may be good in bball and bad in football...
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:32 PM   #69
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
2) Respected academically, yes. Respected athletically, maybe. Yes, I understand their academics are good, but a student in a chemistry class at Rutgers doesn't feel any closer to a student taking a chemistry class at Illinois if they join the Big Ten; the athletes of the school are the ones that compete with those in the Big Ten; academics has got nothing to do with how well respected a school is athletically.
They are concerned about the faculty member doing chemistry research, not the undergrad taking a chemistry class. And FWIW, Penn State benefited tremendously as a research institution from joining the B1G.

That said, this is ALL about the NY/NJ and DC/NOVA television markets. Yes, we would love to have some east coast football fans watch midwestern football.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:40 PM   #70
huskie44
I think the ND move to the ACC (no fb included) was what triggered this. Every conference was hoping for ND and it kept everything on hold. Once ND made its decision the b10 knew it had to make a move.

I totally understand the scheduling problems, still think its a good move for the b10. Rutgers will be a solid addition to FB and Maryland will be a solid addition to bball.

Also both teams are apart of the AAU (association of american universities) which is a huge thing to the rest of the big10. Mizzou is not apart of this association and that is one of the biggest reasons (if not the reason) they were never offered. Mizzou was begging the big10 to take them in once they realized it wouldn't happen they went SEC.

Overall happy with the 2 additions, college landscape is changing and ND was keeping it glued a lil while longer. Super conferences are coming would rather be ahead of it then behind it...
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:51 PM   #71
ctblaisdell83
Quote:
This would make sense...then figure if some ACC members start to get a wanderlust for the big $$$ of the B1G. What might be the other colleges looking at greener pastures?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:52 PM   #72
WingDinger
If this has any legs, I won't be surprised if Virginia pops up as another school.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:54 PM   #73
Indicchief
I thing in addition to these two they should consider both Duke and UNC too.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:54 PM   #74
huskie44
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
1) The idea of the Big Ten was to cover the elite or "big market" teams in the midwest. Being in the heart of the east coast is good for the midwest conference how??

3) Can we stop talking about how good or bad a school is CURRENTLY in a sport? This can change from year to year... by 2017 Rutgers may be good in bball and bad in football...
For the 1st question, its not about geography anymore its about money and making your conference as strong as it can be academically/athletically/financially.. FB for majority of its schools makes more $ than all other sports combined and that is the sole thing driving conference realignment.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:10 PM   #75
U of I 89-05-10
Haha, you act as if I can't make sense of a list; we're clearly used different rankings. I chose US News & World.

Quote:
Academic Ranking of World Universities:
19 Wisconsin
22 Michigan
25 Illinois
29 Minnesota
30 Northwestern
38 Maryland
49 Penn State
56 Purdue
61 Rutgers
65 Ohio State
84 Indiana
96 Michigan State
101-150 University of Iowa
115-200 University of Nebraska - Lincoln

Conclusion: Maryland and Rutgers fit the B1G academic profile. Moreover, Rutgers could benefit benefit academically from joining the B1G much as Penn State did a while back.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »